Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jose posted:

also i got raided but an early weapons caravan sold me a mutagun which instantly downed one of the raiders so i stopped paying attention but it turned him into a cougar that attacked a duck that decided to join me

Rimworld: i got raided but an early weapons caravan sold me a mutagun which instantly downed one of the raiders so i stopped paying attention but it turned him into a cougar that attacked a duck that decided to join me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Protip: Whenever you get some temporary dudes assigned to you by the empire make sure to operate on them steal all their implanted toughskin glands and whatnot. They're worth a pretty good amount and it's free medical XP since it doesnt matter if they die.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HiroProtagonist posted:

Rimworld: i got raided but an early weapons caravan sold me a mutagun which instantly downed one of the raiders so i stopped paying attention but it turned him into a cougar that attacked a duck that decided to join me

My game is covered in mods and takes an age to start. Decided to go all in on bionics and such using prepare carefully and wow the one character who is kitted out is insane. Then she got killed because a raider was a chronomage and made her age so that she died of an artery blockage lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do people want a new thread title for the dlc

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I stopped playing for awhile and I have no many mods I have no idea what's new in the dlc aside from titles/quests.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Omnicarus posted:

I'm thinking of trying out the androids mod but I was wondering how it interacted with Royalty. Do pawns that save their consciousness lose their rank?

Not sure, you don’t want them to be royals since they make really lovely psycasters. They have 0.15 psychic sensitivity, same as Mechanoids.

They also don’t quite reap the same benefits of having a nice bedroom the way humans do, since they don’t sleep.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jose posted:

also i got raided but an early weapons caravan sold me a mutagun which instantly downed one of the raiders so i stopped paying attention but it turned him into a cougar that attacked a duck that decided to join me

Jose posted:

My game is covered in mods and takes an age to start. Decided to go all in on bionics and such using prepare carefully and wow the one character who is kitted out is insane. Then she got killed because a raider was a chronomage and made her age so that she died of an artery blockage lol

oddium posted:

Literally either one of Jose's last posts would be a perfect thread title tbh lol

Rimworld: My game is covered in mods and takes an age to start

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I'm waiting for Jose to snap and make Rimworld: Democratic primary edition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that would be a very good overlap with Rimworld: SCP edition to contain some of the candidates.

Which I'm sad isn't a thing honestly, there's been some SCP monster mods but the framework for the game would be super well suited to "design and build a containment facility while protecting it from attacks from the outside and breaches while stopping your staff going insane from memes or their job stress"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Piell posted:

Protip: Whenever you get some temporary dudes assigned to you by the empire make sure to operate on them steal all their implanted toughskin glands and whatnot. They're worth a pretty good amount and it's free medical XP since it doesnt matter if they die.

this is a bug, fwiw, and isn't possible for the vast majority of surgeries that would cripple them somehow. you can't steal prosthetic limbs, for ex.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

oddium posted:

RimWorld: Praetor is the newest system shock

RimWorld: Joint Policy: Once Every Day

RimWorld: Kingdom Come: Drug deliveries

RimWorld: My idiot doctor has brain damage and won’t take drugs about it

RimWorld Royalty: a royal pain in my rear end

RimWorld Royalty: A fortress to dwarf all others

RimWorld Royalty: Fine Meal (Corn, Human Meat)

RimWorld Royalty: New Lovers, Toxic Fallout

RimWorld Royalty 2020 edition: Plague (Extreme)

RimWorld Royalty: Kidneys, Lungs, and other consumer goods

RimWorld Royalty: Money printer go Bzzzt

None of these are any good, sorry

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jose posted:

This is why I can never seem to finish a game with Rimworld of Magic. It's great in concept and fun when you've got all the cool stuff, but a Chronomage or Astral Mage (sometimes a strong Lightning Mage) can mean basically instant death to a character that you basically can't stop. And a Blood Mage at just the right moment can be a total colony wipe. At least most other stuff has an out, like a Gladiator's grapple has fairly low range so they're not just going to teleport one of your pawns from sniper rifle range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can turn off specific types in the options if I remember right?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rimworld: Quarantined with hellspiders but at least I'm a necromancer

Griz
May 21, 2001

Vengarr posted:

They also don’t quite reap the same benefits of having a nice bedroom the way humans do, since they don’t sleep.

if you set them to use battery instead of food, does the room with the charging pod count as a bedroom?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember but either way they don't get any mood effects from it as far as I'm aware.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

My dumbass drow, despite being highly intellectual, picked two fights with the only ladies in the colony and twice he got headbutted by them, one who had a loving horn growing out of her head. The dude has 11% consciousness and can no longer function besides being talked to, and while I'd like to harvest him for organs, he was one of my starting colonists and I'd hate to see him go. So now I'm waiting on a tradeship to pass by to hopefully have one of those health restorers so I can get rid of his brain scars.

So how are y'alls colonies going?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I jumped back into Rimworld after a months-long hiatus. How do you beat these mech clusters? I accepted a quest to protect some royal prisoners and the first mech cluster absolutely destroyed me. I had to reload a prior save and refuse the quest

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

sharkbomb posted:

I jumped back into Rimworld after a months-long hiatus. How do you beat these mech clusters? I accepted a quest to protect some royal prisoners and the first mech cluster absolutely destroyed me. I had to reload a prior save and refuse the quest

Kite em. EMPs. Mortars. Kill zones. There's nothing particularly special to suggest besides all the obvious. I use mods.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sharkbomb posted:

Depends on the design of the mech cluster, but smoke grenades used on your troops means their turrets can’t lock on to those under the cloud, which is huge for a decent number of mech clusters.

Other mech clusters land with a weakness, like the unstable power cell - pop those and the explosion is huge.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Griz posted:

if you set them to use battery instead of food, does the room with the charging pod count as a bedroom?

yes, they will claim the pods as beds when they are set to battery mode.

i got some of those vanilla extended mods and they have somehow slowed my game down drastically despite just being new items, its weird

i started a multiplayer game with a friend with basically every mod but alpha animals and the cthulhu cults mod turned off (anything that adds a new races seems to gently caress up multiplayer as soon as some visitors arrive to your colony), and it was very noticeable how much faster it was running.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sharkbomb posted:

Kite the ranged enemies, run up and stab the melee enemies. Lancers and pikemen are pretty easy to kill once you get into melee and they can't shoot you anymore. If turrets are you problem, you can often peek out of a corner, shoot, and retreat behind it again before they can fire at you. IIRC EMP Grenades are relatively low in the tech tree (Microelectronics which you'll want pretty quick anyway) and make taking mechs out much easier.

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 18, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

On the other hand, nuclear weapons

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

On the other, other hand, EMP spells and force lightning

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I had a quest like that that dropped two mech clusters. I wasn't sure how to handle it, until my allies in Operation Bugspray, a marine unit from the AvP mod, podded in about 100 guys and just slowly swarmed over everything on the map.

What exactly has to happen before a mech hive counts as "defeated?" Whatever it is isn't working on my map because there are still walls I can't deconstruct.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Usually it's destroying all the structures associated with the main push of the mech cluster, namely turrets, drop points, mech caskets, and the special buildings (assembler, fart cloud maker, etc.).

Sensors, anti-mortar shields, and unstable power cells aren't part of that - you can pick up the power cells, but not the others.

I had hoped to snag a mortar shield. :(

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still use mortars to gently caress up mech clusters. Someone pointed out EMP mortars will disrupt their mortar shield if there is one. If so, first target is the mortar shield. one EMP mortar fired a few seconds before the main volley, rest of volley at the shield. After that target the main building environment modifier or psychic wave maker or whatever spawns. When they or their building gets hit they'll start moving but most times they leash back to the main compound. Eventually they either make it all the way to my normal defenses after repeated hits, or the main building is destroyed. Once that happens they turn into a normal raid and path like usual towards your base. Normal defenses to take the wave out.

Then go out and mop up the turrets. Do not do this part with melee, at all. Turret explosions will loving murder your pawns. This part is pure ranged fire. RIP Stingray and Gyles, your sarcophagus' make for a great recreation source.

Bonus points if you can avoid taking out the self contained power modules, those things are awesome. They power my deep drills remotely with no infrastructure or maintenance, just the risk of hideous explosive death.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bird food bathtub posted:

Then go out and mop up the turrets. Do not do this part with melee, at all. Turret explosions will loving murder your pawns. This part is pure ranged fire.

Seriously. The best way I know to handle this is to have a few snipers shoot the turrets from within a smoke cloud, which is perpetually refreshed by a smoke launcher colonist who is standing out of turret range. Make sure the snipers have some line of sight obscuring blocks to dive back behind in case the smoke launcher fucks up and sends the smoke into the wrong place twice in a row.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I snagged an emp launcher off of an early-ish Imperial trader, and gave it to a guy with my first suit of power armor. Sneak him in and the armor soaks the few hits he'll take before stun-locking the turret while my other shooters plink at it from range.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

With magic of rimworld or whatever how do I turn my colonists into mages of various kinds? I recruited a geomancer from a visiting group but would like to make my own

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jose posted:

With magic of rimworld or whatever how do I turn my colonists into mages of various kinds? I recruited a geomancer from a visiting group but would like to make my own

Select a colonist who has the Magical Sensitivity trait and right click an arcane tome to tell them to read it. They'll consume the tome and become a wizard of whatever type the tome teaches. Get tomes from traders or quest rewards. If you want to wizard a colonist without the Magical Sensitivity trait, research enchanting to unlock the gemcrafting table and use it to craft a Gem of Arcane Insight. Tell a colonist to use it and they'll eat it to gain the trait.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, in general getting good casters is a long term proposition. Unless you get lucky with recruitment you'll need to find the right tome, add the trait if necessary, and wait for them to get XP to get the spells you want. Considering how overpowered most mages are though it's a fair thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cool thanks. I picked up a death Knight in a pod crash event who decided to stay after I rescued and healed them. Had 2 quests giving me cataphracts in a row so although I can't steal the armour Ive got a charge Lance and rifle despite my tech being poo poo

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i got some of those vanilla extended mods and they have somehow slowed my game down drastically despite just being new items, its weird

The vanilla extended mods occasionally have high cost operations for some reason, the one that most recently comes to mind for me is the power mod has several comps that loop through every object on the map that can impact performance pretty quickly on larger maps or maps with a lot of poo poo on them.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The correct way to deal with mechanoid spawns is to use your noble ability to call in troopers and janissaries, then send them against the robits in human wave-style attacks while your colonists hang back and provide moral support

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

The vanilla extended mods occasionally have high cost operations for some reason, the one that most recently comes to mind for me is the power mod has several comps that loop through every object on the map that can impact performance pretty quickly on larger maps or maps with a lot of poo poo on them.
Apparently the creator made some changes to the gas network stuff before Power went live that royally hosed it up, so hold off on that one for a day or two until it's patched.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

This is eloraams redpower levels of bad coding.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

This is eloraams redpower levels of bad coding.

i'm given to understand vanilla itself isn't much better.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If there was like one big technical lesson you should learn before making a game like Dwarf Fortress it's to make it multithreaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

If there was like one big technical lesson you should learn before making a game like Dwarf Fortress it's to make it multithreaded.

if i were making a game, i would simply do it perfectly the first time