Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My only issue / negative about Shinra HQ is that I set off to finish the game on an evening at the start of like chapter 15 and severely underestimate just how loving far from the end I was. So at some point halfway through Shinra HQ I said gently caress it let’s go and end this and 2 hours later it was close to midnight by the time it ended. It was a stupid long session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If someone dies before the snow part the only way snowboarding works is if Roche shows up there.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug
Just beat the game on normal. I think they wanted you to feel like this was a complete game so that's why they went off the rails near the end with the anime power levels. I mean, for all we know the last fight could have been entirely in the party's heads and they were all bobbing around making noises at the end of the Shinra Highway like the psychics in that one episode of South Park.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Utgardaloki posted:

Rufus was always the best villain in FF7 honestly

He's almost certainly the only Shinra character who's interesting.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My only issue / negative about Shinra HQ is that I set off to finish the game on an evening at the start of like chapter 15 and severely underestimate just how loving far from the end I was. So at some point halfway through Shinra HQ I said gently caress it let’s go and end this and 2 hours later it was close to midnight by the time it ended. It was a stupid long session.

FF7R's chapter disparity becomes especially apparent on repeat runs; Chapter 2 is over in basically 15 minutes, and Chapters 3, 8, and 14 can be completed in a fraction of the amount of their original runtime if you just skip cutscenes and sidequests, but Chapters 16 and 17 are absolute gauntlets that cannot be significantly shortened outside of skipping Hojo blathering at you. If you like these sections, as I do, it's fine. If you don't, woof.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only time I felt the game really dragged was the 5 reactor leading up to the boss and the lab. Reactor 5 was building up to something at least; the lab felt like it was just carrying water. The first time through the busted up freeway with the robot hands felt kind a long but doing it again for trophy hunting and it was fine.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
FFVII Remake, more like FFVII Re-imagining, am I right? :cool: :smuggo:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Chocobo posted:

FFVII Remake, more like FFVII Re-imagining, am I right? :cool: :smuggo:

I’ll skip this one while I wait for the real remake. :smuggo:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Something I want to talk about is Johnny. The game seems a bit confused about him. In his first scene, Cloud threatens to kill him and demands he leave the city. Then on subsequent ones (in the city he definitely did not leave) he's goofy and calls Cloud bro? What?

I feel like I missed a transition or the first scene just doesn't work with the rest.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Guy does something terribly stupid, then the next time you meet him he's your best friend and pretends it never happened. That might be the most realistic thing in this game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Johnny doesn't know Cloud or Tifa were the ones that broke him out either, he was blindfolded and Tifa knocked him out immediately.

also Johnny is an idiot

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
holy gently caress that was all stupid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Qrr posted:

Something I want to talk about is Johnny. The game seems a bit confused about him. In his first scene, Cloud threatens to kill him and demands he leave the city. Then on subsequent ones (in the city he definitely did not leave) he's goofy and calls Cloud bro? What?

I feel like I missed a transition or the first scene just doesn't work with the rest.

Johnny has no idea Cloud was the one who threatened him because he was blindfolded. Also he's real, real dumb.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jimbot posted:

Only time I felt the game really dragged was the 5 reactor leading up to the boss and the lab. Reactor 5 was building up to something at least; the lab felt like it was just carrying water. The first time through the busted up freeway with the robot hands felt kind a long but doing it again for trophy hunting and it was fine.

Because you have to do that section a minimum of three times to get the Platinum trophy, Sector 6/Collapsed Expressway has started to wear out its welcome, but that's more on me than the pacing of the game. Clocking 90 hours in 9 days is loving excessive.

As a matter of fact, for those of you who have cleared the game once on Normal, but haven't yet taken a shot at going for the rest of the trophies, do not make the mistakes I made; save time. Here is the best way to maximize your future runs. As a rule, if you want the choices you've made in a chapter to count, you must COMPLETE the chapter. Even if you pick Tifa's dress as part of the discovery sub-mission, if you chapter select out immediately after picking it, it won't count! You have to beat the chapter.
1) Beat the game.

2) You can start playing on Hard right away if you think you're strong enough; if so, remember to Assess Scorpion Sentinel in Chapter 1. In Chapter 2, you get your first chance to affect your Chapter 14 resolution; if you want Aerith then take the flower right away, if you don't then keep refusing her. Progress to Chapter 3. Complete all the sidequests. Cerulean Drake can teach you Algid Aura for your Enemy Skill materia if you don't already have it. Pick a different dress for Tifa (your options are mature (purple)/sporty (Chun-Li)/exotic (gothy?), so try to remember what you've already picked). You need to actually see Tifa's dress before it will count for your trophy/play log progress, though, so don't play through Chapter 3 twice yet - do it once, then proceed. If you've already seen Tifa's intimate moment in Chapter 14, or you're shooting for Barret's vignette, refuse her offer for a drink. If you're trying to get Tifa's scene, ask for something hard.
2a) If you're not strong enough to play Hard straight off, use the Shinra Battle Simulator at the very start of Chapter 17 (from Chapter Select) to quickly gain a lot of EXP/AP. If you have not completed all 20 of Chadley's Battle Intel missions, farm the Shinra Battle Simulator until you have. Get Bahamut and the trophy. If you have Bahamut and are level 45+, you are ready to at least begin Hard mode.

3) In Hard Chapter 6, Tifa will have a manuscript in a chest that is where the Chocobo & Moogle materia was on your first run. Keep playing until you reach Chapter 8. During Budding Bodyguard, which dress Aerith gets is dependent entirely upon how many sidequests you complete in this chapter. Do them all to get the red dress; do some, but not all, to get the fancy pink dress; do none to get the plain pink dress. Again, it won't count until you see her in the dress, so don't play through Chapter 8 twice right away. You do not need to complete all the sidequests to get all the skillbooks on Hard, so you're not screwed if you've already seen the red dress and are shooting for another (you need to do "Weapons on a Rampage," "Kids on Patrol," "The Angel of the Slums," and "Paying Respects"). Smoggers in this chapter can teach you Self-Destruct for your Enemy Skill materia if you don't already have it.

4) In Chapter 9, you will "see" Tifa's dress (and your play log will update) as soon as the chocobo carriage rides through. For Aerith that won't happen until the bridge near Corneo's mansion event. For Cloud, you need to get the opposite set of sidequests you got on first run. You can check which ones you did at any time by looking the Quests tab; "Burning Thighs" is always one of the sidequests you get, but if you're on the Chocobo Sam path (for the best dress, the blue/black one) you get "The Party Never Stops" and "A Dynamite Body." If you're on the Madam M path, you get "The Price of Thievery" and "Shears' Counterattack." There are guides online as to how to get put on each path, but ultimately it's kinda simple: for Sam, see through his bullshit, don't pay for the expensive massage, and interact with Johnny, and you're basically set. For Madam M, do the opposite (try to guess the coin flip, pay 3000g for the massage, and ignore Johnny). A lot of the other Wall Market options actually are there to influence your... intimacy points?... with Aerith; select "She's in great shape" when talking about Tifa and "How much?" when the love hotel barker accosts you to lose points with Aerith, or anything else when talking about Tifa and "Back off" to gain points. Complimenting/dissing her dress when asked in Madam M's parlor will also cause you to gain/lose points, respectively. This will impact your Chapter 14 resolution, so if you're going for Aerith then gain points with her, and if you're going for Tifa or Barret you should lose points with her. Either way, completing the other set of sidequests will unlock the sidequest-related trophy, provided you did all the ones you could on your first pass. Important: Cloud has four skillbooks to acquire in this chapter on Hard, not just two, and they're also tied to which sidequest path you pick. You can only get two per runthrough. Sucks.

5) In the sewers in Chapter 10, pick up whomever you want to get for the Chapter 14 moment. If you want Barret, pick up whomever you have fewer points with (it's easier to lose points with Aerith than Tifa, I think). Keep progressing.

6) Chapter 14 has several skillbooks gated behind sidequests, so get those now (do "Tomboy Bandit," "Corneo's Secret Stash," "Malicious Goons," "Missing Children," Subterranean Menace," and "Chocobo Search"). You'll get your resolution. After you get the books and see the event, chapter select (without beating Chapter 14 yet, you don't need to) back to Chapter 2 to gain or lose points with Aerith as required; play through Chapter 3 and do all the sidequests to pick the last Tifa dress you need, and gain or lose points with Tifa as required; then skip to Chapter 8, do the number of sidequests required to get the Aerith dress you need, and then play Chapter 9 again. Whichever of Sam or Madam M's path you did last time, do the opposite this time to get the last two skillbooks you need for Cloud in this chapter (from their sidequests), then immediately chapter select back to the beginning of Chapter 9. Gain or lose points with Aerith as required, but don't do any sidequests (which path you're on is irrelevant) and you'll get the last dress for Cloud and the trophy. In Chapter 14, see the last resolution and that part of your play log will be complete as well.

7) As long as you've picked up all the skillbooks you could from detouring in Chapter 6 and from sidequesting in Chapters 3, 8, and 14, all you have to do now is beat the game on Hard and complete one more Shinra Battle Simulator mission solo for each character and you'll get them all. The best time to do this is obviously Chapter 17, and the Phantom in the solo mission(s) can teach you the Spirit Siphon Enemy Skill if you don't already have it. Complete "Monsters of Legend" to fight a malboro, Assess it, and learn Bad Breath from it, which should prompt two more trophies. After you've defeated all the new Shinra Battle Simulator missions, provided you already did all you could at the Colosseum and did all 20 Battle Intel missions, you can challenge the Pride and Joy gauntlet. I'll provide advice if people ask for it but it's kinda in-depth as to how best to tackle this. When clearing the Pride and Joy mission, remember to Assess Ifrit and P&J itself, as this is the only place in the game you'll see them. If you take out P&J you'll get a short vignette with Chadley and be given the Götterdämmerung, an accessory that will allow you to begin every battle with a full Limit gauge and which will make your Limit passively refill much quicker.

8) Beat the rest of the game on Hard.

If you do all these steps, you won't have to replay the game six times to get everything, so there's that. The stuff gated behind Hard mode is as follows:
  • That's The Smell
  • Master of Mimicry
  • Ultimate Weapon
  • Hardened Veteran
  • 3 Enemy Intel entries
  • all "Completed Chapter On Hard Mode" entries
  • 110 SP per character
  • the best accessory in the game

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 18, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Cnidaria posted:

at least those have some context

cait sith showing up during a massive tragedy for 2 seconds with no explanation is extremely funny

I'm almost disappointed that he didn't speak with his Scottish accent, if only because I feel like that would've increased the surreal nature of that scene.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Gotterdammerung + Refocuser + ATB Assist on Tifa feels so abusive

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

I'm almost disappointed that he didn't speak with his Scottish accent, if only because I feel like that would've increased the surreal nature of that scene.

"Ach blast it! Da crazy cunts only gon' an dunnit! FACK!"

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I had the exact same experience the first time, I feel your pain.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MoaM posted:

I had the exact same experience the first time, I feel your pain.

I just finished the game and am having the same experience.

I thought it was about 2 hours earlier then it is.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Ollu posted:

Just beat the game on normal. I think they wanted you to feel like this was a complete game so that's why they went off the rails near the end with the anime power levels. I mean, for all we know the last fight could have been entirely in the party's heads and they were all bobbing around making noises at the end of the Shinra Highway like the psychics in that one episode of South Park.

I'm choosing to believe this is canon because it's preferable to the alternative.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the game, in one of its map story moments, explains the 7 seconds line

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Before the game came out I thought Leslie and Roche were dumb additions. I bought and finished the game, and now I wish the game had more Leslie and Roche.

The ending is a mind-bender, seems like they branched off into a different timeline. I hope the rest of the story still tries to follow the original, somewhat. So many good setpieces in the original that would look amazing in a modern day remake

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Before the game came out I thought Leslie and Roche were dumb additions. I bought and finished the game, and now I wish the game had more Leslie and Roche.

The ending is a mind-bender, seems like they branched off into a different timeline. I hope the rest of the story still tries to follow the original, somewhat. So many good setpieces in the original that would look amazing in a modern day remake

I feel like a lot of the main set pieces/elements will end up being the same/similar overall, but the end results/little details might change. like they'll probably still have to hitch a ride at Junon, but I don't see Cloud doing CPR or jumping off the dolphin. and they'll go to the temple, but maybe Sephiroth won't get the black materia because they decide to leave it there or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I expect the basic structure of events to remain the same but the context and character motivations behind them to be very different. With certain sections expanded (Wutai) or compressed (Kalm) depending on what's already been established in the remake.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I had the same experience as others with Shinra HQ keeping me up super late because I thought I was closer to beating the game than I was. I called it a night after that and did the last chapter in the morning.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Stayed-up-til-2-in-the-morning-because-I-got-to-shinra-hq krew calling in

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just saw the board meeting, theres probably only a couple bosses left, I i'll knock it out and be done by midnight at the lightest!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Onmi posted:

So the game, in one of its map story moments, explains the 7 seconds line

What

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Caidin posted:

I just saw the board meeting, theres probably only a couple bosses left, I i'll knock it out and be done by midnight at the lightest!

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that description doesn't follow from that scene at all

Really, though, there are a few glaring issues with the menu text in this game, either just unclear descriptive writing or maybe translation that missed a beat somewhere. It's possible that's misunderstood, or that we misunderstood the scene itself, or whatever. Same for the use of the word "timeline" in the descriptions of the Whisper trio bosses.

It's also possible that's entirely accurate and even more confusing than I thought :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Uh yeah that makes no sense lol

Something else that doesn't make sense: Now that more people are finishing the game I'm seeing purists who are mad about the changes insisting "Oh yeah we saw Zack and Biggs and maybe Jessie but we won't see them again going forward. That was just showing us there was another timeline." and like... ???????????????? do you people understand NOTHING about the most basic aspects of storytelling?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Biggs replaces Cid as a party member, Zack replaces Cait Sith when the first one blows up.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Funky Valentine posted:

Biggs replaces Cid as a party member, Zack replaces Cait Sith when the first one blows up.

2nd all right fair.

1st dont you dare touch Cid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ms Adequate posted:

Uh yeah that makes no sense lol

Something else that doesn't make sense: Now that more people are finishing the game I'm seeing purists who are mad about the changes insisting "Oh yeah we saw Zack and Biggs and maybe Jessie but we won't see them again going forward. That was just showing us there was another timeline." and like... ???????????????? do you people understand NOTHING about the most basic aspects of storytelling?

I mean we'll absolutely see them again, but Zack at least is definitely a different timeline.

So there are two timelines, we'll call them Beagle and Terrier.

Unknown point in time, The Planet creates the Whispers, these are basically a Weapon. Because their purpose is to maintain the integrity of the timeline, they... I'm forgetting the word, but they're beings that exist in past, present, and future simultaneously, because their purpose is to maintain the timeline, so they're always present.

Beagle-Zack is killed in his last stand, Beagle-Cloud goes through the usual Cloud plot until he meets Beagle-Aerith, who has future knowledge and gives him the ability to start seeing future events. At the end of Beagle-Remake, Beagle-Cloud and company kill the Arbiter of Fate. This kills the Whispers across ALL points of time, because they exist simultaneously and thus die simultaneously.

Due to this, Terrier-Zack survives his encounter with Shinra, and is able to make it to Midgar with Terrier-Cloud. Now, Terrier-Cloud might be a coma patient still in a hospital bed, since the only reason he ever woke up was meeting Tifa again. And there's no Guarantee Terrier-Tifa ever met Terrier-Cloud since he wasn't passed out in Sector 7.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Really, what would have Zack done with Cloud's comatose rear end? He's too much of a good guy to just leave him somewhere.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Really, what would have Zack done with Cloud's comatose rear end? He's too much of a good guy to just leave him somewhere.

Probably put him up and care and then do what he planned to do, become a mercenary so he can make money to support them both until his buddy gets better.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DeathChicken posted:

Well this is very much a Crisis Core version of events, and there Cloud is already starting to come out of it a bit. He's slowly mobile, and he'll repeat what you say back to you. He recognizes Zack, and will say things to him unprompted. He's not....the greatest conversationalist, and he'd lose a foot race with a turtle, but there's something to work with there. Thankfully literally the first or second person Zack would go to see is Aerith, who could probably do something to help Cloud's Mako poisoned rear end.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In a reality where Zack and Cloud make it to Midgar who defeats Sephiroth? Do the Turks and Rufus valiantly save the world or does Zack end up working for Avalanche down the line and pretty much reenacting the game in place of Cloud?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ethiser posted:

In a reality where Zack and Cloud make it to Midgar who defeats Sephiroth? Do the Turks and Rufus valiantly save the world or does Zack end up working for Avalanche down the line and pretty much reenacting the game in place of Cloud?

Again, Zack planned to work as a mercenary, it's entirely possible he wound up getting involved with Avalanche that way, if he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Game was incredible, what they did in the final chapters was incredibly ambitious. I can't say for sure that there isn't a game that will trump this this year, but I'm going to be hard pressed to find it.