Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Alphas are not supposed to that sort version numbering anyways. Anything goes!

Yeah, its normal to use version numbers less than 1.

But its important for SC to have bigger version numbers than ED! That way everyone knows its better than ED.

Also CR said with 3.0 the game is effectively released anyway so we can think of it as a released product... except when it faces criticism, then ITS ALPHA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006
Chris Exotic, the Spacegame King.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One backer makes an interesting point...

quote:

This is just one of many examples that show there is no staggarded development. Things get pushed 1 release instead of 2. Things that are only one build away affecting the next build. (I am talking ships and locations, things not depending on tech.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

So I was really pressuring for an answer if this all last month and what I got from it is that an off-hand un-official interview done at a fan event with Dan Trufin (leader of the gameplay team) staring that refueling needs iCache to work and if CR has it his way they would need Multiple Physics Grid tech to get the gm full fidelity of the fuel hose to connect for T0. This means the big 6-month turnout for careers announced in Sept for refueling first and salvaging second is put on hold until at least iCache and possibility the docking tech if CR gets his way.

This *has* to be true, it is like the most croberts thing.

Multigrid iCache T0 hose fidelity.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
iCache? Really? Do they have an office competition every week for this made up bollocks?

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 18, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
icache is already a thing! I swear CIG just Googles "how does a CPU work" and then adds that to their never been done, totally revolutionary ~tech~ cards.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I have not played this Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World), but they've just announced a free for all month until mid May. Supports VR and multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732Y62VZIGc

It's full of DLCs (aircrafts, maps, campaigns) but it seems to be in active development according to the changelog on their site.

The site for this is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/
And there's a Steam version here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World_Steam_Edition/

It might be interesting.

No space legs.

Or space.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

This is FUD.

Everyone knows that Crytek got obliterated by Ortwinning and CIG in the lawsuit and are so poor that they had to get a loan to buy a lawnmower so that they could make money mowing lawns.

They could not even program boobs (60065) on an old casnio calculator since all their talent fled to glorious CIG to work under the code master, Chris Roberts.

Star Citizer: They could not even program boobs (60065)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

Gone implies that she isn't still drawing a 6 figure salary. I would have gone with promoted to a position better suited to her skills.

nice av post combo

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Your loss Twitch!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

As someone said once around here, the paradox of the backer: The past of Star Citizen is vague and unknowable, while the future is always fixed and certain.

Whoa Mind.Blown

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

so I guess Sandi really is gone

Well done CIG, Chin up.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm not sure, but I'm starting to get the feeling that this project may not be being managed that well.

I could be wrong.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

so I guess Sandi really is gone

Another project where she ended up on the cutting room floor?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Also Elite, No Mans Sky etc?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

In many ways the enormous size and scope of the scam is one of the main things that lures otherwise intelligent people in. It's difficult to believe something with this much money, this many employees and offices, and so many screenshots and website details on ships and lore and locations can be one giant scam anyway.

It's double-irony that Chris Roberts "name recognition" is figuring into any of this in his favour, because the people most familiar with him would have known this was a scam from day one. So he relies on people being maybe sorta aware of who he is.

It's funny... I had never even heard of Chris Roberts, possibly not even of Wing Commander, before the Kickstarter went up. I was going to back either that or the Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter campaign so I'm glad my co-worker was an Elite fan and got me to pick something that at least gave me a cool little game of sorts :)

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

HoboLando sagely nodding his head to the crap being spouted.

Also...

quote:

I get it. But we don’t see the most exciting things they are working on. The back end tools they have been completing make things that took a week to do in the past take an afternoon now. We don’t see that and they don’t advertise it as much. But we will see the results of that.

I also think we will see that end gate when they do the squadron 42 demo in October.

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 18, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dooguk posted:

iCache? Really? Do they have an office competition every week for this made up bollocks?

I just think it's funny that, while the project goes down in flames, C.R. is extremely focused on hose simulation fidelity.

And, while they make sure those hoses are just right they maybe can spare some time to start pre-designing their network engine.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kosumo posted:

Another project where she ended up on the cutting room floor?

Will "Pusher" now be removed from the game?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dooguk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSYiT2iG08&t=71s

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Agony Aunt posted:

Will "Pusher" now be removed from the game?

There has to be a game first.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Or, how about they use their fleet, employ people to fly their ships in such a way as to control the whole of the game, loving over all other whales from ever gaining any sort of status in the game.

What, like a Calder sponsored Goon swarm? Unlikely in the extreme, but fun to think about :D

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I just think it's funny that, while the project goes down in flames, C.R. is extremely focused on horse simulation fidelity.

And, while they make sure those hoses are just right they maybe can spare some time to start pre-designing their network engine.

That's how I read it

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

My favorite/least favorite part was my let's play of one of Derek's games. I felt like he liked me up until he realized I was too stupid to quit out of his game because the escape key (which in most games brings up a main menu of sorts) brought up some kind of convoluted-game-system that didn't let me quit the game at all. I had to finally like control alt delete to kill the process because I had no idea how to just stop playing. I did not read the 500 page manual for the tutorial. So it was ultimately my fault but I don't think Derek recovered and was banned again not long after for doing crazy things again.

derek was at his best when justifying silly nonsense of no consequence. Alt-Q forever, Esc never

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

wth, never heard of the llama farm story.

I gotta set the record straight on this ridiculous story,

it was alpacas

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

What, like a Calder sponsored Goon swarm? Unlikely in the extreme, but fun to think about :D

What if Calder is Bootcha? Have you ever seen Bootcha's face? Think about it!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YBfy4FX.png[/img]"]
By the way - THIS is how 3.9 looked back in DECEMBER: https://i.imgur.com/dgrmIHI.jpg
People were really excited for:

- A new mission giver
- the Bounty Huntor Armor which has been delayed countless times
- Unoccupied Rest STops
- Finally some NPC Improvements
- Dynamic Mission System: Egonomy Generated Missions
- Restricted Area Rework (which already has been pushed before)
- Dynamic Misison System: Mission Generation along QT Routes
- Commodity Transfer Timers
- Accounting App so we can finally send aUEC to other players
- Economy Display Terminals to make Cargo shipping actually fun again
- PvP Bounties -> people were hoping to manually place bounties, how has this been on the roadmap for 8 months ?!
- Death Animation Improvements -> I wonder what the "blocker" here is
- Repair / Refuel / Restock Kiosks: We all know this hasnt been working for I dont know how long
- Bounty Mission NPC Improvements
- Cutless Blue
- DRAKE VULTURE (dont forget Salvage for 4.0 and Multicrew Gameplay for 4.0)
- Door System Improvements -> finally being able to lock cockpits
- Large Scale Shadow Improvements

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So, uh.

This flew under the radar.

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/70695/epic-games-acquires-facial-animation-firm-cubic-motion/

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/23/epic-games-buys-3lateral-maker-of-super-realistic-digital-humans/

So, uh, who's doing the mocap animation now?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

Year after year as well. Even backers who have lived through previous years seemingly wipe their memories and reset them for the coming year.

It's like they take "forget me nows"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chris "Call me Mr. Mocap" Roberts

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

trucutru posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

New! Elevator panel updates!

I worked out why the name Eddie Parr sounded so familiar to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrGbv7aezc

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Looking forward to the additon of Pyro in 4.0!

Ok, they said 4.0 and Pyro was going to be back in 2017 right? But you know, Chris isn't the best judge of his or other peoples time so he can be absolved of that.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
I was looking at my most beloved subreddit and found posts which look like copied from here. How many alts guys you have there?

quote:

The current flight simulator 2020 just released a patch for their alpha which has more features in their weekly update then star citizen does this whole quarter

quote:

But can FS 2020 compete with SC's elevator fidelity? No? Then what is your point!? CIG is the best and CR's vision is beautiful

quote:

To be fair, Chris Roberts is 4x more efficient with backer money than funds from a typical publisher.

quote:

Christopher Roberto personally saw to the development of these high fidelity and immersive elevator displays, just IMAGINE the amount of dynamic gameplay it will bring, you cant fault the code whisperer genius for putting such an important gameplay feature on the top priority list, this is truly the pinnacle of gameplay you cant find in any other game. also please go into the knick-knack shop and buy useless poo poo for 10$/piece k thanks - CIG

quote:

Exhilarated to see the new elevator button gameplay. Can't wait to see if it's rows and columns of future-retrofuturisric old school buttons, or a full on brainstem implantation of neural linked elevator control module. This game is constantly pushing the boundaries. Ah man gahd!!! I just can't wait to see it all working in perfect harmony. Really interested to see the upcoming elevator repair specialization . I think it's a fantastic take on having freedom of your career paths. This is what I'm talking about with FULL IMMERSION people. Shame on all you naysayers. This is what our $250 million in support has got us, the most state of the art rendition of bleeding edge elevator gameplay in the industry.

quote:

Just wait till you see the vanduul elavators.

HorseBodyInspector fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 18, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HorseBodyInspector posted:

I was looking at my most beloved subreddit and found posts which look like copied from here. How many alts guys you have there?

I have six. Or are we also counting bots?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Good loving lord, this was posted on SC Reddit and is getting upvoted:

The sub is melting down now in the most spectacular fashion I've seen so far: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/g3kumu/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20200417/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 18, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/g3kbt0/in_defence_of_cig_a_cto_explains/fnrxopv/

:stonklol:

yeah this is fun

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

quote:

8 years to develop 2 games. They also didn't start as a massive company with hundreds of staff with a development pipeline worked out. Building the company, hiring/training staff, and building new tech not seen in games before takes a lot of time.

8 years is a long time but considering the scale and ambition of this game it's hardly any time at all.

I'm not saying it justifies CIG's unreasonable release dates or hype cycle but 8 years is not enough time for both Star Citizen and SQ42 to be anywhere near complete.

HOW? HOW are they still deluding themselves into saying this? It was one thing a few years ago when they were still inside the development cycle time of some long games, and you could (foolishly) argue that Star Citizen MIIIIGHT be one of those games that's a disaster through development but comes together right at the end, but now? This is actually sad.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Call To Action: All Citizens

I cannot be alone in the disappointment that is this week's roadmap update. Even dismissing COVID-19, a lot of features and tech that could be making start citizen a more fleshed out and enjoyable experience are being pushed back continuously in favor of ship updates and small changes like "knick knacks", and then they are going to have the audacity to ask for more money with a rumored ship sale because people got their stimulus checks.

This is a call to action for all citizens. I think it's time we start showing CIG our disappointment with the lack of real and tangeble gameplay and polish by voting with our wallets.

Any ship sales, new concepts, flair and subscriptions should no longer be paid to CIG. Until Chris and the team figure out how to actually deliver on VITAL roadmap updates, we should not be giving a cent more to this development team.

Is this extreme? Maybe. Will it make a point? Hell yes.

They have funding still to last for a couple of patches but until we show CIG that we are sick of the constant pushing back of cards that are ANNOUNCED purely to push ship sales and then moved at a later date with "reprioritization" then I don't believe we will see any real progress as backers of Star Citizen.

I know I'll get push back and downvotes with this, but I do really want this game to succeed and I think CIG has become to complacent with pushing vital features back in favor of ship sales.

Thoughts?

:gary:

Citizens! Rise up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

El Grillo posted:

Good loving lord, this was posted on SC Reddit and is getting upvoted:

The sub is melting down now in the most spectacular fashion I've seen so far: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/g3kumu/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20200417/

Closing my wallet...