Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

It's not "essentially" indentured servitude either. It's lacking the essential factors that would make it indentured servitude.
Don't worry, there are gangmasters in the migrant agricultural sector who are more than willing to provide them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't mind people making pasties with whatever they want (my personal recipe - I offer up a prayer of repentance to the memory of my dear old Cornish mum whenever I make it - uses a dash of tomato puree, garlic, and even some diced peppers), it's just calling it a *Cornish* pasty when the filling looks like a cottage pie lost a fight with a bottle of Dolmio that annoys the poo poo out of me.

If it comes to it doing it with shortcrust rather than suet pastry is also dodgy, but nobody's got the time for that poo poo.

Fair enough, that's a particular style and I would look askance at a pasty shop that sold me a "traditional" with carrots and peas in it. Tomato in pasty sounds unusual but I'm willing to try it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Sorry, but “you won’t do x? Fired!” is just not how conversations go currently in the tech industry. They already can’t hire enough good people, despite massive efforts to get everyone coding to flood the market. You can absolutely say things like “I can’t join the meeting at 6 - I leave at 5”, “please can you subsidise the purchase of an office chair during WFH?” and “I have security concerns about linking x to company tech. I need to be excluded from this policy.” and probably get what you want.

Of course if every company starts it, that’s a different matter. The only reason programmers are treated relatively well now is because it’s so easy to switch companies. In that case, yes, worker organisation is needed. Funnily enough I actually got asked to work recently making software which does keylogging under the guise of “team cooperation” - your whole team can virtually look over your shoulder while you type. Even the guy making it said he absolutely wouldn’t agree to use it lol

Okay it's good that you can see the potential need for worker resistance in the future but then why not do the organising now? Building a union isn't going to get done overnight and even just sounding people out now will make any steps you have to do to respond to a rapid change much easier. You might even get to a point where you don't have to build programs that you can see as blatently unethical.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Fair enough, that's a particular style and I would look askance at a pasty shop that sold me a "traditional" with carrots and peas in it. Tomato in pasty sounds unusual but I'm willing to try it.

We're talking a little toothpaste-squeeze, mixed in when you brown the meat (and I'm reliably informed browning the meat before baking is *also* not legit, but bollocks to that) - just enough to add a little flavour.

Which reminds me, I need to replenish my stocks of frozen cottage pies. I use those little foil takeaway containers so they can go straight from the freezer into the oven, and it's got to have the best time/effort/reward ratio of batch cooking - 45 minutes or so of cooking with a tenner's worth of ingredients gets you half a dozen meals.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sassassin posted:

It's not "essentially" indentured servitude either. It's lacking the essential factors that would make it indentured servitude.

fine, you win, I apologise profusely

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

fine, you win, I apologise profusely

fwiw I think sassassin is being a deliberately obtuse pedant pretending to not understand hyperbole. idk if he normally posts that bad, could be just lockdown brain

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

My mum just texted me to say my dad's mother died this morning, and they're going to put my Auntie and Uncle up at theirs the night before the funeral.

My auntie and uncle live in Manchester, the other side of the country.

My Auntie is an NHS nurse currently working on a Coronavirus ward.

My parents are loving idiots.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 18, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Failed Imagineer posted:

fwiw I think sassassin is being a deliberately obtuse pedant pretending to not understand hyperbole. idk if he normally posts that bad, could be just lockdown brain

Ever since the dictionary changed the definition of 'literally' people have decided that they can say (literally) anything and even if it's blatantly and objectively false they're still right, they were just exaggerating for effect and we should naturally intuit that they were saying something very smart. To correct someone is an attack (see Trump).

Unfortunately the author is dead and we can only judge someone by what they actually say/write.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dell_Zincht posted:

My mum just texted me to say my dad's mother died this morning, and they're going to put my Auntie and Uncle up at theirs the night before the funeral.

Surely they can't all attend the funeral anyway? I though numbers were limited to like 4 including the vicar

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

sebzilla posted:

Surely they can't all attend the funeral anyway? I though numbers were limited to like 4 including the vicar

The police don't enforce it strictly for the most part.

Not that it's not stupid as gently caress.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sassassin posted:

Ever since the dictionary changed the definition of 'literally' people have decided that they can say (literally) anything and even if it's blatantly and objectively false they're still right, they were just exaggerating for effect and we should naturally intuit that they were saying something very smart. To correct someone is an attack (see Trump).

Unfortunately the author is dead and we can only judge someone by what they actually say/write.

ok boomer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

go outside, ffs

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Ah, silver lining, that's alright then, ignore the first bit.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Sorry, but “you won’t do x? Fired!” is just not how conversations go currently in the tech industry. They already can’t hire enough good people, despite massive efforts to get everyone coding to flood the market...
Of course if every company starts it, that’s a different matter. The only reason programmers are treated relatively well now is because it’s so easy to switch companies. In that case, yes, worker organisation is needed.

namesake posted:

Okay it's good that you can see the potential need for worker resistance in the future but then why not do the organising now? Building a union isn't going to get done overnight and even just sounding people out now will make any steps you have to do to respond to a rapid change much easier. You might even get to a point where you don't have to build programs that you can see as blatently unethical.

Engineering design is similar to Prism Mirror Lens' situation. We have job vacancies open for months at a time. If you did an Alan Sugar you'd empty the office.
If sustaining WFH gives any kind of recruitment edge then people will jump to the first company that offers it. Everyone else will have to match that or go extinct. I can see that there will be offices as a focal point and for those who choose or need to work that way, but the cult of "presenteeism" is going to die.

Another evolution that's happened is the paperless office. We've been going on about it for about a decade. We've achieved it in a week.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

HJB posted:

isn't there a funding shortage of about £8b or something already?

this is just more piss

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

sassassin posted:

shut the gently caress up

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sassassin posted:

quote:

literally (adv.)

1530s, "in a literal sense, according to the exact meaning of the word or words used," from literal + -ly (2). Since late 17c. it has been used in metaphors, hyperbole, etc., to indicate what follows must be taken in the strongest admissible sense. But this is irreconcilable with the word's etymological sense and has led to the much-lamented modern misuse of it.

So, "literally" was used in its original "literal" sense for several centuries (though not exclusively, because it was also used to mean "relating to letters"). Then since the late 1600s it has been used as a figurative intensifier with an easily understood hyperbolic meaning.

It's cool to be dumb and all, but if you're doing a bit I don't get how this is fun for you. And if you're posting sincerely then lol

e: you also appear to have a completely backwards understanding of "The Death Of The Author" but thats besides the point

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 18, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

sassassin posted:

Get help

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sassassin posted:

This is blatantly and objectively false - Barry Foster has replied since and this would not be possible if they were dead. Please do not use unnecessary metaphor like this.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

HJB posted:

I really hate how the BBC writes headlines. Why aren't those two separate sentences? It suggests those people died because councils have got extra funding :mad:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This is blatantly and objectively false - Barry Foster has replied since and this would not be possible if they were dead. Please do not use unnecessary metaphor like this.

Eh he could have been raised by one of the thread necromancers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

Eh he could have been raised by one of the thread necromancers.

That's not what Necrothatcher means!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

I really hate how the BBC writes headlines. Why aren't those two separate sentences? It suggests those people died because councils have got extra funding :mad:

The Tories are both supplying the funding and responsible for the deaths, so what's the inaccuracy?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Endjinneer posted:

Engineering design is similar to Prism Mirror Lens' situation. We have job vacancies open for months at a time. If you did an Alan Sugar you'd empty the office.
If sustaining WFH gives any kind of recruitment edge then people will jump to the first company that offers it. Everyone else will have to match that or go extinct. I can see that there will be offices as a focal point and for those who choose or need to work that way, but the cult of "presenteeism" is going to die.

Another evolution that's happened is the paperless office. We've been going on about it for about a decade. We've achieved it in a week.

And this is still 'why do I need to put a roof on my house? The sun is shining brightly.' level of thinking. By definition working remotely allows for recruitment across a wider geography, perhaps even globally. Are the labour shortages a global problem? No people in the USA, China or India willing to take on a role for a foreign company? It's not like a physical interview would be possible during a lock down anyway so what's the harm in trialling people from across the planet after a remote interview? Oh and now that your project lead and many coworkers are 8 hours behind you you're going to have to do lots of evening working so you can all call in together, sorry that's just how it is now.

Capital and labour are constant antagonists and you can't just expect to keep coasting into comfortable roles because of currently favourable market conditions because those conditions are under constant change and it's the more powerful and active actor which gets to set the terms.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

Same with the frontpage of the guardian right now

Does the US have a duty to Spain? perhaps so

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

I just finished re-reading the Truth yet again, which pokes fun at headline-speak. Got to love a special way of communicating worse!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

So, "literally" was used in its original "literal" sense for several centuries (though not exclusively, because it was also used to mean "relating to letters"). Then since the late 1600s it has been used as a figurative intensifier with an easily understood hyperbolic meaning.

It's cool to be dumb and all, but if you're doing a bit I don't get how this is fun for you. And if you're posting sincerely then lol

e: you also appear to have a completely backwards understanding of "The Death Of The Author" but thats besides the point
So they've been using it that way for literally centuries? That's cool.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Dell_Zincht posted:

Sorry to hear about your grandparent, hope you can convince them to stay elsewhere.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Same with the frontpage of the guardian right now

Does the US have a duty to Spain? perhaps so

I mean you can just list any two contemporaneous things and you're good.

"Billionaire masturbates as infant dies" is almost certainly a factually correct headline.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

I mean you can just list any two contemporaneous things and you're good.

"Billionaire masturbates as infant dies" is almost certainly a factually correct headline.

"Billionaire literally masturbates as infant dies"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

namesake posted:

And this is still 'why do I need to put a roof on my house? The sun is shining brightly.' level of thinking. By definition working remotely allows for recruitment across a wider geography, perhaps even globally. Are the labour shortages a global problem? No people in the USA, China or India willing to take on a role for a foreign company? It's not like a physical interview would be possible during a lock down anyway so what's the harm in trialling people from across the planet after a remote interview? Oh and now that your project lead and many coworkers are 8 hours behind you you're going to have to do lots of evening working so you can all call in together, sorry that's just how it is now.

I mean it's not like this wasn't a thing before the 'rona yet programmers remain well paid. There are fewer people worldwide that can do this well than there are open roles. Language barriers and timezones remain a thing. If the bosses could screw us down to minimum wage they would have done long since, theyve certainly tried, but they can't. Luv 2 be the aristocracy of labour :smugdog:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/marcusbarnett_/status/1251548865498578944

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This is a good thread about how the Government mismanaged the ventilator situation.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1251434219139665920?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I guess the junkies thing is probably what the tweet says but it's a bit debatable. The loopy thing is hilariously grasping at straws.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1251445035742134272

Many times in this thread I've advocated for the complete destruction of the British media but it's increasingly apparent that we also need to ban anybody who has ever worked in the British media from getting any kind of job in the government.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

namesake posted:

Capital and labour are constant antagonists and you can't just expect to keep coasting into comfortable roles because of currently favourable market conditions because those conditions are under constant change and it's the more powerful and active actor which gets to set the terms.

Yes and no, respectively. The work isn't something that takes a lot of verbal back-and-forth either, so working with a colleague on the opposite side of the globe takes fairly little extra effort.
My point was that in my knowledge based industry where the balance of power already lies with the employee, the experience of a lockdown is going to open opportunities for a change in the relationship between employer and employee which further goes in favour of many employees.
Having been a union member during market conditions that were dire enough for that relationship to briefly invert, the scale of the crisis was so great that the union's collective bargaining power was moot.
I'm not down t' pit wi' t' lads, so a traditional marxist reading of the situation doesn't yield useful conclusions. Postcapitalism is an interesting book which tries to explore how it can, incidentally.

To torture that metaphor of yours, it's not a house without a roof so much as a hotel without a roof. You keep your bags packed, you nick the towels, you make sure you have an umbrella and a good idea how to build at least a shack of your own. In the event of a downpour that makes all that preparation useless, even buildings with roofs are hosed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol no im dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:rip: Barry Foster