Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Boonoo posted:

Depending where they live it may be way too late in the season to start from seed.

I think if you start them now you should be able to have tomatoes by summer. I live in Florida so I can grow them year around. I actually planted a little bed of lettuce for my rabbit friends that live in the bushes by my air conditioner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Paradoxish posted:

There are already spikes in states without stay-at-home orders or places where people had to gather in large groups. We may see some spikes from Easter very soon, depending on how many people risked actually getting into groups and going to church. The run-up to the beginning of May has the potential to be filled with a ton of news stories about new outbreaks, so I'm thinking the big baby's plans are about to be pretty badly ruined.

edit- Italy is easily a month ahead of us and they're running into this same problem. They want to begin to reopen their economy on May 4th and - oops! - cases in Milan are spiking like a motherfucker right now. Turns out China knew what the gently caress they were doing when they waited to lift quarantine until Wuhan was actually cleared of detectable local transmission.

Do you have a source for that? These are the new reported cases in Milan, up to today, from the civil protection department.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/WillieGeist/status/1251485550533578752

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mllaneza posted:

Tim Cook is a really good choice. He made his rep within Apple by being the guy that goes to Taiwan, invests in new factory launches, and gets paid back in components that the rest of the market (android phones) can't get until Apple gets theirs. That takes tremendous ability to analyse complex numeric scenarios and make decisions based on projections. Being able to tell who's bullshitting and who can actually deliver on their numbers is also a huge part of the job. It's one of the most applicable skillsets to the problem at hand there is.

Nah. Tim Cook is a massive piece of poo poo and should be jailed for life at the least. Anyone with any kind of leadership role at Apple is scum.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/1251537913122299904

Always good when your choices are the guy who tried to kill your caucus and their families and

quote:

Mr. McMurtry, a lawyer who gained prominence when he defended a Covington Catholic student who sued CNN over its coverage of his encounter with a Native American protester in front of the Lincoln Memorial, has written and shared a series of Twitter posts and articles that contain racist tropes, anti-immigrant sentiment and transphobic material.

In one tweet from December 2019, Mr. McMurtry wrote of the “need to push back against demonization of white people,” adding that “we should not be willing scapegoats for someone else’s agenda.” In another, he complained that “some cartel-looking dude is playing a video of some wild Mexican birthday party at full volume” in an airport, and cited it as a reason that “we should question unlimited immigration. We just cannot integrate so many people.”

In a separate tweet, he approvingly shared a 2016 blog post subtitled “A Very Brief Primer on Being Alt Right,” which condemned as “cowards” people who describe themselves as conservatives and embrace a progressive agenda, saying they were afraid of being branded “racist, sexist, homophobic.”

“Let’s see them start telling the truth about transsexualism being a mental illness, or about the implication of IQ disparities between different racial groups,” the post read in part.

In an interview on Friday, Mr. Massie questioned why Ms. Cheney would donate to Mr. McMurtry, citing the posts.

“He has views on race and culture and ethnicity that I don’t think have a place in the G.O.P.,” Mr. Massie said. “But maybe Liz has a different plan for the party, and maybe she thinks backing an alt-right candidate would curry favor with part of the conference.”

Who would have thought that a lawyer for the ChudTeen would himself be a racist fuckwit? Of course, calling him racist his unfair. Just look at his wife. And his views on.... acculturation?

quote:

In a statement on Friday evening, Mr. McMurtry’s campaign manager did not disavow any of the comments, but attacked Mr. Massie for highlighting them.

Jake Monssen, Mr. McMurtry’s campaign manager, said in a statement that Mr. Massie was “so desperate to save his failing campaign he’s now taking plays from the left and trying to smear Todd McMurtry with false, personal attacks.”

“Todd’s wife of 32 years is Puerto Rican and they raised their children in a bilingual household,” Mr. Monssen added. “Todd supports legal immigration and acculturation,” he said, asserting that Mr. Massie “is willing to say anything against those with a different viewpoint, regardless of facts.”

Fortunately for Republicans, it's only Cheney backing this altright piece of shi-

quote:

Since Mr. Massie’s attention-grabbing objection to the stimulus vote, Mr. McMurtry has also picked up the support of the Republican Jewish Coalition, which announced their endorsement of him only hours after the failed attempt to force a recorded vote on the House floor.

:confuoot:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any updates on the planned insurrection in Michigan?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/jeffsessions/status/1251521126020329474

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingorc posted:

You murdered 5 people and ate their bodies!

"You don't have any proof I ate their bodies!!!"

Anyone who uses twitter is at best ignorant and at worst moronic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

nah. probably more dumb rear end protests and poo poo.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It sure his weird how all the protests popped up spontaneously in these states with Democratic governors with exactly the same messaging, even though there are also states with Republican governors following the same stay-at-home rules. Almost like the protests are entirely partisan and astroturfed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pacerhimself posted:

It sure his weird how all the protests popped up spontaneously in these states with Democratic governors with exactly the same messaging, even though there are also states with Republican governors following the same stay-at-home rules. Almost like the protests are entirely partisan and astroturfed.

And they still maxed out at like a hundred people when everyone is at home with nothing else to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And they still maxed out at like a hundred people when everyone is at home with nothing else to do.

its because the core chud base that does this poo poo is small and like the same dozens or so pricks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I'm actually glad to hear this one because usually when they trot out the "modern day Rosa Parks" it's like they realize this is dumb as dogshit and any actual support for these folks is going to start going away.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tag yourself. I'm President God

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Yep, looks like they're trying to make a Tea Party Vol. 2 for this poo poo. The problem being, if these morons do go and end up getting Covid, they're likely to die in doing so, blunting the movement where the other one wasn't.

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/1251527826928553984

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

smoobles posted:

So is the stimulus pretty much over? $1200 checks aren't arriving to most, and no plans for a next payment. $350b is gone in 2 weeks from small business paycheck loans, with no next step.

I hate feeling so negative but it feels like the country is about to go over a cliff and May will make us miss April.

We're going to reopen everything and basically say that tens of thousands of deaths are the price of freedom. Blue States will be responsible and stay closed while red states receive all the aid and the GOP will point to high death tolls in Seatte, NYC, Miami, etc. as failures of democratic leadership. I wouldn't expect another round of aid any time soon, if at all, unfortunately. And $1200 is a loving rent payment and a car note if you're lucky. We have Manchin trying to say that you can live more than a month on that money. These people are so woefully out of touch and self serving it's disgusting.

My only hope is that the death toll will disproportionately affect MAGA voters but C19 seems to be loving up minority communities far more aggressively.

Also, the 538 polls I've been reading have been encouraging for swing states, especially FL, so that gives me some hope until I remind myself that I'm getting excited at the prospect of president Joe loving Biden and then my soul is further crushed. PA is oddly close again but the polls I've read for FL have been in the +6-8 range and if my map is right, Trump can't win without FL

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can add Buffalo to that idiotic map. People around here are driving around at 5 mph blasting their horns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Dark Project posted:

Yep, looks like they're trying to make a Tea Party Vol. 2 for this poo poo. The problem being, if these morons do go and end up getting Covid, they're likely to die in doing so, blunting the movement where the other one wasn't.

Frankly, I'm not seeing the problem.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Grouchio posted:

The Michigan "Militia" has always been a sad, flaccid, stupid thing for edgelord perma-incels and boomers. The militia groups in Michigan in general are pretty widely mocked for their dumbassery

Expect more of the same

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

pacerhimself posted:

Ohio had a protest as well, and they have a Republican Governor

I agree that it reeks of astroturfing though (because it's Trump's new way of making rallys for himself happen)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

KillHour posted:

You can add Buffalo to that idiotic map. People around here are driving around at 5 mph blasting their horns.

even their protests involve not exercising

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

I agree that it reeks of astroturfing though (because it's Trump's new way of making rallys for himself happen)

So did we here in Texas. Yeah, sure smells like coordination to me.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Can someone please ask Stephen Moore what he thinks of actual black protestors protesting injustices and inequality? I'm sure he has a well-thought of and articulate opinion of them.

heh

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because the core chud base that does this poo poo is small and like the same dozens or so pricks.

Is there any evidence to suggest these protests are the same couple hundred people like the usual Trump rally hanger on goons?

Because if these fuckers are crossing state lines to do this poo poo during a pandemic...

Also, are they any numbers on how many people are turning out at these things? Lansing looked like it had a few hundred to a thousand based on pictures

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

pacerhimself posted:

sounds like the state police should setup state boarder checks and see howmuhc out of state trash they find.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/1251449109988249600

:lmao:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TulliusCicero posted:

We've has them here in Texas too.

I feel this is kind of like stochastic terrorism with a Fox News feedback loop. Trump says some drivel about opening up, a small group of idiots decide to protest, Fox covers it, Trump tweets out support, now every chud group is going to do it.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

We're going to reopen everything and basically say that tens of thousands of deaths are the price of freedom. Blue States will be responsible and stay closed while red states receive all the aid and the GOP will point to high death tolls in Seatte, NYC, Miami, etc. as failures of democratic leadership. I wouldn't expect another round of aid any time soon, if at all, unfortunately. And $1200 is a loving rent payment and a car note if you're lucky. We have Manchin trying to say that you can live more than a month on that money. These people are so woefully out of touch and self serving it's disgusting.

And that's where we are at because Trump said so. Social Media is littered with people cheering on his 'Liberation' saying how he's the best person ever, nobody knows more than him including doctors, generals etc. We are supposed to just open everything up again and if thousands of people will die from it, then tough luck the economy and going shopping, watching sporting events are more important than human lives.

Even if these protests are just a minor fraction of the population, they are getting ALL the air-time and publicity and focus. And eventually we will give in to them because that's the kind of country that we are, handing Trump his 'complete victory' over the virus and the 'overblown liberal media hype and shutdown of America' will take center stage for the election.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
It's astroturfing designed to help Trump's re-election, not to affect the various state's Democratic power. Organize crowds, get them airtime on Fox News, reinforce the chud hivemind, keep Trump's base fired up, rinse, repeat.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes keeps them fired up with body temps of 100 F

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Its interesting to imagine the alternate timeline where Hillary won, I think this pandemic would have been the final point for the crazy right wing to boil over into some kind of civil war. They would think all their FEMA nightmares were coming true.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ok I need this now

Also it comes with a certificate of authenticity which im assuming is "yes we verify this is a chess board from a TV shopping network"

That poo poo is gonna be worth tens of pennies down the road

cr0y fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 18, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Angry Bum posted:

We are supposed to just open everything up again and if thousands of people will die from it, then tough luck the economy and going shopping, watching sporting events are more important than human lives.

Again though remember this won't actually work. If everything reopened today would you decide to take in a game this afternoon, then go out for drinks and see a film tonight? The suicidally stupid aren't numerous enough to save all the enterprises that rely on individually razor thin profits in a huge volume. The economies not getting saved just because wealthy sociopaths will pay any human cost to do so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This Astro turfing protesting poo poo can so very easily backfire on the GOP it isn’t funny. It successfully revs up Trumps base true but it puts a starker and very visible contrast between the crazies and everyone else which is not what Trump wants going into reelection. Most of social media is already making fun of their stupid asses because the vast majority of people don’t want the lockdowns to end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/diannaeanderson/status/1251523463061225473

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's astroturfing designed to help Trump's re-election, not to affect the various state's Democratic power. Organize crowds, get them airtime on Fox News, reinforce the chud hivemind, keep Trump's base fired up, rinse, repeat.

I said this on Twitter but the next time you hear a white person talk about how "Savage" precolonial indigenous cultures were point them at the GOP deathcult. I would get thrown in the tophet, poisoned or have my heart cut out then drown slowly in my own fluids for some rich dude's portfolio.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Angry Bum posted:

And that's where we are at because Trump said so. Social Media is littered with people cheering on his 'Liberation' saying how he's the best person ever, nobody knows more than him including doctors, generals etc. We are supposed to just open everything up again and if thousands of people will die from it, then tough luck the economy and going shopping, watching sporting events are more important than human lives.

Even if these protests are just a minor fraction of the population, they are getting ALL the air-time and publicity and focus. And eventually we will give in to them because that's the kind of country that we are, handing Trump his 'complete victory' over the virus and the 'overblown liberal media hype and shutdown of America' will take center stage for the election.

What social media are you looking at my dude? Almost all the stuff I see is them being mocked. Whatever the chuds are trying is not picking up steam and only pissing everyone else off, regardless of "liberal media" hype (lol whut)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

What social media are you looking at my dude? Almost all the stuff I see is them being mocked. Whatever the chuds are trying is not picking up steam and only pissing everyone else off, regardless of "liberal media" hype (lol whut)

I don’t have a twitter account so I only see twitter through an uncustomized window and 90% of the talk I’ve browsed is people making GBS threads on these protests.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Again though remember this won't actually work. If everything reopened today would you decide to take in a game this afternoon, then go out for drinks and see a film tonight? The suicidally stupid aren't numerous enough to save all the enterprises that rely on individually razor thin profits in a huge volume. The economies not getting saved just because wealthy sociopaths will pay any human cost to do so.

Yeah, trying to have a discussion with people who think that reopening the economy is going to stave off tens of millions of lost jobs is rough. Those people refuse to acknowledge that even if you open the economy up, COVID is still here which even if you only curtailed the movements of, "those at high risk" we're still looking at severely limiting the economic impacts of like, a quarter of the population or more (including people over 65, diabetes, hypertension). A partially opened economy is not going to limp along, it's going to crash the same as a closed economy.

People who claim that we're going to be back to relative normal in a few years are similarly aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, trying to have a discussion with people who think that reopening the economy is going to stave off tens of millions of lost jobs is rough. Those people refuse to acknowledge that even if you open the economy up, COVID is still here which even if you only curtailed the movements of, "those at high risk" we're still looking at severely limiting the economic impacts of like, a quarter of the population or more (including people over 65, diabetes, hypertension). A partially opened economy is not going to limp along, it's going to crash the same as a closed economy.

People who claim that we're going to be back to relative normal in a few years are similarly aggravating.

Around 80% of people polled say that they won’t go back to normal if things were to all suddenly reopen. And only like 10% say they outright will. And I bet a vent diagrams with that 10% and people who tip horribly is a circle so good luck to the service industry surviving with them.