Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone had posted some really good Wood Elf advice a while back. I tried searching for it but I couldnt find it. I just got Game Over'd by Khazrak coming in and hitting King's Glade while it was only tier two and i only had four units in my army, so any advice is helpful, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Chaos Warriors are a FreeLC I thought?

It was the Warhammer 1 pre-order bonus iirc. Like how Warhammer 2's was Norsca (But with less code branching issues).

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Someone had posted some really good Wood Elf advice a while back. I tried searching for it but I couldnt find it. I just got Game Over'd by Khazrak coming in and hitting King's Glade while it was only tier two and i only had four units in my army, so any advice is helpful, really.

ambush all the time, always keep your stuff hidden in the trees. your spellsingers can make trees explode without being seen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
pro tips for Delves vs Vampire Coast? They've got a lot of ranged firepower and Cold One units kinda suck as heavy melee cavalry.

I do love reaper bolt throwers and eagle claw bolt throwers but their firing arcs are so shallow that you can end up pummeling your own lines.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Another "what DLC" question.

So thinking the two that are good? Anything redeemable about the others or maybe that the steam reviewers are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

My recommendations.

Hunter and the Beast - Amazing. Marcus' campaign is really different and fun. It's the first campaign I've actually finished since TWW1. Nakai campaign is interesting as well, though it clearly got less development time. Highly recommended if you like either faction.

The King and the Warlord - It was really good when it came out, but like most TWW1 dlc has not aged well. Skarsniks gimmick is pretty neat, you can't recruit orcs but goblin units cost much less and get massive buff to offensive stats so they fight like elite troops, but still die like goblins. Flood the world with little green bastards. Greenskins are getting a refresh in a month or two, so it would be a weird time to start a new campaign. The dwarf campaign isn't as compelling. Overall solid choice if you like either faction particularly greenskin

The Grim and the Grave - Bad. Adds a couple neat units and that's it. The new lords don't have their own campaigns and nothing here is must have. Only for diehard empire/VC fans.

Call of the Beastmen - I like it, many don't. Beastmen are a horde army that, at least in theory is supposed to sneak around and be selective about which fights to take. It's kind of a neat campaign, but really shows its age. The army itself is highly aggresive, but fragile. Badly needs an overhaul before I could really recommend it, but you could try it if it sounds appealing.

Chaos Warriors - By far the worst campaign. It was a preorder bonus/day 1 DLC for the first game, and still feels unfinished. The campaign mechanics are garbage, the roster is samey. It was bad when I got it for free at launch, it's even worst now. Strongly recommend you save your money here.

Realm of the Wood Elves - Aged even worst then the Beastmen. WE big gimick in the first game is they could build limited settlements everywhere, they were the only faction not confined by the terrain restrictions. Now that the climate system is in the game, their outpost are actively worst then what everyone else gets. Their army is a mix of shooting and tree monsters. As with Beastmen, it needs a refresh/overhaul to recommend, but could be worth trying if it sounds appealing to you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Arcsquad12 posted:

pro tips for Delves vs Vampire Coast? They've got a lot of ranged firepower and Cold One units kinda suck as heavy melee cavalry.

I do love reaper bolt throwers and eagle claw bolt throwers but their firing arcs are so shallow that you can end up pummeling your own lines.

Very vulnerable to being out run(horrible base speed), out gunned(their offense is great but their gunners aren't armored), overwhelmed, etc. Assess a quick priority list of their ranged fire power that you can kill before it can be used or to remove it from the fight before it deals too much damage. Artillery, bloated corpses, deck droppers and bomb squads can be removed before they get value for ammo, hand gunners and deck gunners will out range you and get some shots off. Ironically a bad match up for dark shards except for breaking necrofex, leviathan and crabs. Cold ones could honestly go really far because once their gunners are in melee they're nearly useless.

Just did this to take the Awakening book in a VH Khalida campaign, had a real dicey fight against an army with 1 deck gunner, 3 hand gunners, 2 carronades, 6(!) bomb squads, 3 bloated corpses, etc. So it works out to something like I keep an eye out for the corpses, Sepulchral Stalkers can kill each in 2 volleys, my 5 archers are focusing down bomber squads one by one before they can melt my front, I have a Necro Knights run to the carronades and remove them as quickly as possible and then the deck gunners. Since VCoast fronts are usually small/slow/full of holes either by punching through a deckhand mob or not being wide enough I took hand gunners where I could by having victorious or extra infantry run them down. Worst things that happened is that 1 of the 3 corpses reached and deleted a skeleton spears squad and it turns out you can't overrun a bomb squad with foot infantry before they throw a volley and knockback half the squad at least once, still a close victory.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Technically you could play Beastmen, Welves, Norsca, and Chaos in TWW1 where they stand out more. Well, not so much Chaos, but the other races were good for the game they were in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I started the tictactoe campaign and dino rock bombers own like gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh! Is there a force move command so I can more easily get my bombers in position?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Accept that you're going to take losses and commit your infantry and archers into the fight to get them busy, Darkshards w/ shields should be able to compete 1 to 1 with gunners, especially if gunners are firing into bleakswords or black guard early. Focus fire against their ranged with your ranged so you are removing units from the engagement ASAP.

You have plenty of okay cav as Delves; warlocks, cold ones or even shielded dark riders are all acceptable against handgunners and skeleton armies for sure so long as you don’t commit them too early. The key is to get in there an get them distracted or under duress then clean up with cav ASAP. Focus on running down retreating units with cav, especially gunners so they don’t reenter the fight at range later. When the battle ends you should have the slaves/replenishment option which will refill your losses pretty speedy.

Delves really benefit from overall balanced combined arms stacks; you have solid infantry, AP archers, good skirmisher in corsairs, and decent enough cav. All of that together is good against pretty much anything that isn’t like a full monster stack, and even then you’re okay if you have enough black guard or archers per army. You really can’t underestimate the value of AP archers as a baseline unit.

Go like 4-6 infantry, 6-8 darkshards, 2-4 cav, maybe a couple bolt throwers or monsters. Use lords, especially Malekith/Hellebron to create the furball and then murder with AP arrows on a priority list; ranged, cav in range, good infantry, everything else.

You can also later tailor your stacks to the names of power your lords get and the red line buffs the same, it adds up. Move them together when poo poo gets rough and you have a large but well focused army.

This is for SP if this was multiplayer instead idk what’s applicable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 18, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Another "what DLC" question.

The only ones I don't have are:

Hunter and the Beast - reviews say bad

The King and the Warlord - reviews say good

The Grim and the Grave - reviews say good

Call of the Beastmen - reviews say bad

Chaos Warriors - reviews say bad

Realm of the Wood Elves - reviews say bad

So thinking the two that are good? Anything redeemable about the others or maybe that the steam reviewers are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

H&B: horde factions of all varieties are fun, and this effectively gives you a Lizardman horde. Apparently people like the Markus campaign too.

Wood Elves: the campaign mechanics are pretty poo poo (unless you want to actually finish the campaign, in which case it becomes one of the easier ME campaign goals). The armies are fun. You can have good enough fun ignoring the campaign mechanics, and downloading a disable amber requirements mod if you like.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The free-lc lords are better than Helman Ghorst. Hunter and the Beast is way better than any of the game 1 lord packs. Dread Saurian is worth the 6 bucks or whatever. They help Tic establish and maintain a strong land presence. I like Nakai a bunch too, the sacred kroxigors are great. I don't know, I just don't see 2 of the least interesting campaigns of the first games as anywhere near as good. Same with King and the Warlord. Anything you can say about a faction being dated... Those two haven't aged terribly well, and the units aren't amazing.

The VC/Empire one also gives the RoRs right? That makes it worth it for me if they're extremely on sale. The skarsnik campaign is amazing and worth buying all on its own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, my Lokhir run is into the endgame now. I beat the High Elf final battle intervention so they're out of the race. Now it's down to me and Clan Mors for the Vortex goals. The High Elves can have their drat island, I've got five million rats to kill and I need to find a way to keep Luthor and the Tomb Kings from moving in on my newly earned turf.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do not care for ghosts and I hate having to bring ghostbuster units.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh! Is there a force move command so I can more easily get my bombers in position?

Alt+left click and drag your selected units might help with this.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, my Lokhir run is into the endgame now. I beat the High Elf final battle intervention so they're out of the race. Now it's down to me and Clan Mors for the Vortex goals. The High Elves can have their drat island, I've got five million rats to kill and I need to find a way to keep Luthor and the Tomb Kings from moving in on my newly earned turf.

Fire sorceress is your friend here - burning head and piercing bolts will kill the hell out of all undead for the most part.

Also rats.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

finally have good enough hardware to play this after sinking tons of hours into the first game. Anything I should know for Skaven? I have the SatB and Vampirates DLC.

I imagine it's "feed skavenslaves into the meat grinder while throwing warp lightning at everything", but I'm down for other fun things to do

Edit: to be more specific, anything for the Skaven that has changed with the current state of the game vs previous versions

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 18, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I tried reading up the lore of End Times and :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Parts of it are good, most of it is bad. Skarsnik died offscreen while Settra went down fighting like a Dynasty Warriors character

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The End Times is basically the Old World getting done extremely dirty to set up GW's new game line and it still amuses me that it happened right before or around when Total Warhams made the setting popular

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheHoosier posted:

finally have good enough hardware to play this after sinking tons of hours into the first game. Anything I should know for Skaven? I have the SatB and Vampirates DLC.

I imagine it's "feed skavenslaves into the meat grinder while throwing warp lightning at everything", but I'm down for other fun things to do

Edit: to be more specific, anything for the Skaven that has changed with the current state of the game vs previous versions
Do you have Priest & Warlock and Shadow & Blade DLCs? If so, Skryre on ME. Sack Tobaro for several turns (assuming the Beastmen dont burn it down) then get a gunline & artillery army and laugh as you mow everything down before it even touches you. Use undercities to boost your food income so you can eventually (by turn 50 or so) put any city you capture at max level right off the bat.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you have Priest & Warlock and Shadow & Blade DLCs? If so, Skryre on ME. Sack Tobaro for several turns (assuming the Beastmen dont burn it down) then get a gunline & artillery army and laugh as you mow everything down before it even touches you. Use undercities to boost your food income so you can eventually (by turn 50 or so) put any city you capture at max level right off the bat.

With the under-city mechanic, what does it bring to the table that regular settlements don't?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Most WHFB lore is pretty :psyduck: but it's full of really flavorful characters, settings, and events. Age of Sigmar, though...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just loving lol at Sisters of Avelorn. Why yes I’d like archers with fire AND magic damage, armor piercing arrows, 180 range all the while having 40+ MAtk and MDef.

I started a Tyrion Vortex game to screw around and I’m literally just putting 18 of these in with Lords for the rest of my campaign here. This is like Ikit but possibly even better because doesn’t matter if they get to melee you still beat everything but like top tier infantry.

Switched over to Avelorn to really send this poo poo off the rails.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 18, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheHoosier posted:

With the under-city mechanic, what does it bring to the table that regular settlements don't?
Every Skaven army and city takes 1 food upkeep; undercities do not cost any food upkeep.
Aside from a tier 4 capital-only building, no surface-city Skaven buildings generate any food. One exception is Pastureland but these are rare.
Undercities can be under any settlement in the game, regardless of Climate.
Undercities have a building that costs 1000 gold that generates 2 food; this building (when I won a Long Campaign ME Victory as Skryre) went in every. single. undercity.
Undercities can build buildings that poach income from rich settlements, or simply generate 200 gold, or 400 gold with the upgrade, or expand the under-city network without you needing to attack the settlement or send a Warlock Engineer.

Undercities are awesome and a great way to put your empire growth into overdrive - I had two armies dedicated to roving around sacking empire settlements to keep them subdued - I didnt want to own the whole thing, but I had undercities under literally every Empire and Brettonian town by turn 100. With undercities, by turn 75 or so, any town I attacked that I wanted to keep automatically went to max level without a second thought, because my under-empire food income was so high that i was always at max food. It took work to get to that point, but it was *awesome*.

edit: also, undercities have no public order and do not need to be defended - no one can attack them. If the undercity is discovered the settlement owner can pay to exterminate the rats and thus destroy the undercity. If a settlement changes hands, the undercity stays. Though if the settlement is destroyed (razed) the undercity is lost.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 18, 2020

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I like the way that Tretch Craventail says his own name, "Tretch Craventail"

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mordja posted:

Technically you could play Beastmen, Welves, Norsca, and Chaos in TWW1 where they stand out more. Well, not so much Chaos, but the other races were good for the game they were in.

Welves do well in mortal empires if you're cool campaigning. They get Amber for every settlement their allies have! So they can end up turning into some weird horde army that supports their ally

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNelyKljQew

Skarsnik's Noob's Guide.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I accidentally chose Rictus instead of Skryre for my ME campaign and uhhhhhhhhhh free doomwheel so vrrrmm zzzzzzt

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 18, 2020

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ok picked up Hunter and the Beast. Who's a good first lizard guy faction to play? Never played a horde faction either to maybe the wandering crocodile guy?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ok picked up Hunter and the Beast. Who's a good first lizard guy faction to play? Never played a horde faction either to maybe the wandering crocodile guy?

Wandering crocodile man with his retinue if champion prize fighter boxing crocs is good fun but kinda straightforward. As a first run I'd suggest either playing as Itza or the Last Defenders. Gor Rok and Kroq Gor are both excellent lords.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kroq-Gar is a solid choice as he helps make everything cheaper and you get to mount him on a t-rex.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHoosier posted:

Age of Sigmar, though...

Has dramatically improved and is now pretty cool. It's different then the Old World however so I am glad they are bringing it back.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mazdamundi has a really safe start in Vortex and despite every other LM Lords reputation for being an unstoppable monster once you get big M on his stegadon and stack damage resists he's also an unstoppable invincible monster.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

france truly is the land of love

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What do you think is actually in skarsnik's hat? Is it all head? Is it stuffed with something to make the horns stay on?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I confederated with Malus Darkblade and I am astounded at how bad the AI is at distributing skill points. Why yes, I totally wanted Malus to put six points into the first three blue skills and another six points into buffing bleakswords and darkshards. Not like he gets major bonuses to cavalry or anything.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I confederated with Malus Darkblade and I am astounded at how bad the AI is at distributing skill points. Why yes, I totally wanted Malus to put six points into the first three blue skills and another six points into buffing bleakswords and darkshards. Not like he gets major bonuses to cavalry or anything.

this is why i like the 'recruit defeated legendary lords' mod. you can recruit them, they have however many skill points they've earned in the campaign, and you get to assign them how you want.

never confederate, always destroy :-)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Or just get the respec mod that lets your straight up respec any lord entirely, and you can even change the settings for how you want it done in case you want to impose limits on yourself.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

toasterwarrior posted:

Or just get the respec mod that lets your straight up respec any lord entirely, and you can even change the settings for how you want it done in case you want to impose limits on yourself.

the mod i mentioned allows you to get LLs that were destroyed by other factions before you confederate. i really like the flavor unique generals/heroes add to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, that one is particularly fantastic for making sure you get to play Pokemon with the various LLs. Add in Mixu's and Parte Legendary Lords, and some factions like the Empire or Dwarfs won't even have to recruit generic Lords because they get a fuckton of new LLs that will migrate to them if their faction gets ganked!