Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dave Gettleman has never traded down ever. Not once.

He won't do it this time either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Solid logic, can't even argue it.

Anyway it'll most likely be an OT or a trade down since he basically signed what Okudah can do in Bradberry. Either way what I'm most excited about is our 4 7th round picks he amassed.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I find everything Tua super tedious.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Are you guys listening to any good draft podcasts? I want to consume even more content this week.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Ehud posted:

Are you guys listening to any good draft podcasts? I want to consume even more content this week.

I like The Draft Dudes which has Kyle Crabbs and Joe Marino.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

boooooo

https://twitter.com/RealTannenbaum/status/1251541015770562560?s=20

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

1st round is going to take 24 hours

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This would have been the only thing that could potentially make up for losing the ferry entrances and they just snatched it away from us.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Breaking news

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/test-dont-joe-burrow-pick-004214579.html

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
ugh i cant believe yahoo spoiled the draft

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gettlemen on the phone while a frustrated millennial tries to explain F3 to show all windows. Gettlemen keeps typing F and the number 3 at the same time, filling the word doc that is inexplicably open. The whole world waits while he pauses to smell one of his boots ala A Fish Called Wanda

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Even yahoo knows they won’t use him to his full potential. :(

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Those are some ugly rear end shoes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

Those are some ugly rear end shoes.

apparently they don't even actually exist, and are instead a way for some Chinese scammers to steal money:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/pearlfeet.com

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dying at the crocs for new yorkers

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
The thing that hits me every year around this point in the pre-draft after pouring over all the analysis, is that in three years I'll recognize like 5% of the players drafted in the first couple rounds

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For me and my house, we will buy shoes based on how easily you can roll them into a ball

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ehud posted:

Same, I require more goon recommendations.

I'm a 2nd grader with those markers that smell like stuff, and the stuff is draft content and I want to give myself (more) permanent brain damage.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So, Patrick Queen will definitely be gone by 32 right?

Probably the best player at a position of need for KC

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Double post but BR is doing a mock draft

https://statmilk.bleacherreport.com/NFL/DraftBoard/91618962/4511

Check out the Chargers and complete lack of Herbert in the 1st

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

So, Patrick Queen will definitely be gone by 32 right?

Probably the best player at a position of need for KC

My gut says he goes. A lot of mocks have him falling into the 2nd. Most the stuff I hear about GM say they prefer Kenneth Murray, But a ton of folks publicly of also said that all the mock drafts are even wronger than usual this year.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Patrick Queen might be the kind of guy for a more narrow range of defensive schemes which makes him a little bit more unpredictable, where is Murray is more a traditional modern LB.

I don't think you should be spending a lot on Queen unless you're running a defense that is going to cover up the interior gaps and let him flow to the ball.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Patrick Queen might be the kind of guy for a more narrow range of defensive schemes which makes him a little bit more unpredictable, where is Murray is more a traditional modern LB.

I don't think you should be spending a lot on Queen unless you're running a defense that is going to cover up the interior gaps and let him flow to the ball.

Queen's so tiny I can't believe he's being talked up as a top 25 pick but here we are. He has zero blocker shedding ability and relies on his speed so much, even when tackling. It's like watching a free safety blitz. Yeah when he doesn't get picked up he gets there super fast and causes a big disruption, but when he gets picked up he gets blanked. Had a big sack against Georgia that was pretty much entirely due to a wtf spin move after getting shoved into the turf by their LG. A bunch of his highlight sacks are coverage sacks too. Just so much time given to him by that awesome secondary they had the last two years.

He's so good in coverage that I don't think he'll drop much, if at all. Ideally you want a LB that can blitz, run stop, and cover, but the NFL has been steadily shrinking their LBs every year. Way more emphasis on gang tackling and having fast guys on defense that can get to and assist on tackles as well. In that way Queen is pretty good. He'll wrap up RBs if there's no one in front of him and he'll beat TEs to points along the route and probably keep up with slot receivers too. He obviously learned something under Devin White because he's amazing at diagnosing and getting to the right spot. It's just that in the NFL I expect a lot of teams to run the gently caress out of the ball when he's on the field. I doubt any of the AFC South would take him just because of the Colts o-line.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
McGinns RBs:

Bob McGinn posted:

This is the 36th year Bob McGinn has written an NFL Draft Series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-’91), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-‘17) and BobMcGinnFootball.com (2018-’19). Through 2014, scouts often were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts.

This is the fourth part of our nine-part series. Today, we dive into running backs. You can find quarterbacks here, offensive linemen here and wide receivers and tight ends here.

Running backs have gone from the belle of the ball to an ugly stepchild in the last generation. Guess what? It’s time to become reacquainted with the men that pound the rock.

Everybody in the scouting world seems smitten with Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the little big man who played a major role in LSU’s undefeated national championship season. Georgia’s D’Andre Swift, Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor and Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins join CEH in a formidable foursome atop most draft boards.

Stealthily creeping beneath the hype meter are another dozen or so backs who have the chops to do some damage as well. Everyone knows the position has been devalued in the last decade, but the fact that backs aren’t being selected as high anymore clearly hasn’t diminished their ability to play if not excel.

“There’s no Zekes, but does that even matter anymore?” said an executive in personnel. “You just want a good back, really. The (Todd) Gurleys, the Zeke’s (Elliott), does that even matter?”

It does, and it doesn’t. Just nine backs have been drafted in the first round over the last five years, and teams have gotten it right. Not one of the nine has been a bust, and at their best Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, Leonard Fournette, Elliott and Gurley were impact players.

That doesn’t begin to tell the story, however, about the influx of good players from the previous five classes of running backs.

In 2015, David Johnson and Tevin Coleman arrived in the third round, Jay Ajayi in the fifth and Raheem Mostert in free agency.

In 2016, it was Derrick Henry in the second round, Kenyan Drake in the third and Jordan Howard in the fifth. In 2017, the haul included Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon in the second round, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt and James Conner in the third, Marlon Mack and Tarik Cohen in the fourth, Aaron Jones in the fifth, Chris Carson in the seventh and Austin Ekeler as a free agent. In 2018, the second round included Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones and Kerryon Johnson while free agency produced Phillip Lindsay and Gus Edwards. Last year, Miles Sanders was a second-round pick, Devin Singletary, Alexander Mattison and David Montgomery were thirds and Tony Pollard and Benny Snell were fourths. Others have produced for teams as well.

Some of them had more fanfare than others. In some of those years, not many people were talking pre-draft about it being a banner year for running backs. As the wide receivers, tackles and, of course, quarterbacks dominate the chatter on the offensive side this spring, beneath the surface many teams detect another bumper crop of ball carriers awaiting destinations.

“It’s been proven that you don’t necessarily have to take a running back super high,” an AFC personnel man said. “There are some good ones, and they’re coming in all shapes and sizes. The NFL has become a different game that way in terms of what’s acceptable for a running back. Four different guys could be classified as the top guy this year.”

Edwards-Helaire is short, but he’s not small. Swift is the best receiver of the upper crust whereas Taylor is the fastest and Dobbins could be the most complete.

All or none could get into the first round. It doesn’t matter. Teams seem confident all four will be producers, barring injury.

“Unless you’re Saquon Barkley or Ezekiel Elliott, you ain’t going in the first round,” said another executive in personnel. “That’s because you can get somebody late second or third round, sometimes in the fourth round, that is a good running back. It’s the new NFL.”

The height of backs also has changed over time. Ten years ago, seven of my top 10 backs stood at least 5-11. This year, Boston College’s A.J. Dillon is the only one that does. “They’re all 5-8, 5-9,” said another scout. “The game has changed.”

The shortest of the top 25 backs is LSU’s Edwards-Helaire. He’s a shade over 5-7, a 1,448-yard rusher who also found time to catch 55 passes for the prolific Bayou Bengals. “Love him,” an AFC personnel man said. “If Joe Burrow was the star, (Edwards-Helaire) won the Academy Award for best supporting actor. He’s a little engine that could. He is a terrific football player.”

LSU went with journeyman Nick Brossette (5-11, 210, 4.70) in their 10-3 season of 2018. An undrafted free agent in 2019, he’s out of football. Edwards-Helaire had to be content with 146 carries and 11 receptions that year. “I don’t think they knew what they had,” said another AFC scout. “Last summer, I missed him, too. He’s 5-7, sharing reps, and you think he’s just a good little college player. He’s just been overlooked because of the way he looks when he gets off the bus.”

In chronological order, here are the names and height-weight-speed entering their drafts of seven players that have been compared in some form or fashion to Edwards-Helaire by at least one personnel man: Kevin Faulk (5-7 ½, 205, 4.48), Darren Sproles (5-6, 187, 4.48), Maurice Jones-Drew (5-7, 207, 4.39), Danny Woodhead (5-7 ½, 197, 4.41), Cohen (5-6 ½, 177, 4.41), Austin Ekeler (5-8 ½, 198, 4.48) and Devin Singletary (5-7 ½, 201, 4.65).

One significant difference is Edwards-Helaire ran just 4.59 at the combine, a least one-tenth of a second slower than six of those seven success stories. “But he has maybe the best play speed I’ve seen in like five years among running backs,” said one scout. “His game against Alabama and even his combine workout … his first step is full speed. It’s absolutely crazy how fast he plays.”

My poll of 18 evaluators asked them to rank their top five backs. As always, a first-place vote was worth five points, a second-place was worth four and so on.

Swift led with 77 points and 10 firsts, followed closely by Taylor (63, five), Edwards-Helaire (51, one) and Dobbins (50, two). The other vote-getters were Cam Akers (11), Zack Moss (seven), Dillon (five), Ke’Shawn Vaughn (five) and Darrynton Evans (one).

Even beyond the leading dozen, there are down-the-liners such as Miami’s DeeJay Dallas, Florida’s Lamical Perine, Cincinnati’s Mike Warren and Illinois State’s James Robinson that scouts have studied more than just casually.

It’s a good bet that the next Aaron Jones or Phillip Lindsay is sitting deep on draft boards just waiting to explode in the NFL. Running backs are very, very much alive and well. “It’s a good class,” an NFC decision-maker said. “There are interesting backs all the way through.”

Perhaps for the first time, several teams say college football hasn’t sent forth a conventional fullback of merit. So if you’re a club that needs one, it’s a game of projecting shorter tight ends to do the dirty blocking work from the backfield.

RANKING THE RUNNING BACKS

(Photo by Chamberlain Smith)
RUNNING BACKS

1. D’ANDRE SWIFT, Georgia (5-8, 212, 4.48, 1-2): Swift followed in the footsteps of recent top backs Todd Gurley, Sony Michel and Nick Chubb at Georgia. “Dalvin Cook isn’t a bad comparison,” said one scout. “He’ll be a stud.” He was limited to 440 carries and 73 receptions because of leg and foot injuries during his three-year career. “Even this year they didn’t let him carry the load when he was the No. 1 back,” said another scout. “When I compare him to successful NFL backs, he’s not elite in any category. He is more well-rounded than Dalvin Cook. He’s a better route runner. He’s got better hands. But Cook’s one-cut vision and acceleration are better, and he’s bigger. Swift can line up and run choice routes. He can track the ball down the field. He’s got three-down value.” Gained 2,885 yards for a school-record 6.56 per carry. Another personnel man said Swift wasn’t as good as Cook or Chubb. “He’s the only back (in the draft) that really scares you in the pass game,” a fourth scout said. “That’s why he’s going to go higher. He can create mismatches in the pass game, he’s a good runner and he tested well.” Swift is from Philadelphia and scored 17 on the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. JONATHAN TAYLOR, Wisconsin (5-10 ½, 221, 4.38, 1-2): A third-year junior, Taylor averaged a whopping 2,058 rushing yards per season. “(Melvin) Gordon was pretty darn good, but Taylor is better,” one scout said in assessing Badgers backs over the last 25 years. “I think it’s slight, the difference. Montee Ball would probably be next, but the drinking got him out. (Ron) Dayne and Terrell Fletcher and John Clay. John Clay sucked; he was a good college player. Brent Moss, golly. Dope got him but he was pretty darn good, too, wasn’t he? The top-end speed with Taylor’s vision is in the top tier of guys I’ve done.” He finished with 926 carries, averaged 6.7, scored 55 TDs from scrimmage and caught 42 passes, including 26 in 2019. “Only bugaboo with him is ball security,” said another scout. “He had 18 fumbles, and he lost 15. That’s very high. His lower (body) is so thick that he just wouldn’t go down, which gives everybody time to swarm him. I think in the NFL he’ll go down a little easier.” Several scouts said he caught the ball adequately at pro day. “The elite size-speed combo is where people will buy in,” said a third scout. “He’s going to disappoint you between the tackles. He doesn’t run to his size. He’s not going hit up in there. You watch the Ohio State games, he’s cringing before he even gets to the line. He’s cringing in the hole. That was really disappointing. I’ve seen it where NFL running back coaches can get that out (of players). That was the big knock on Le’Veon (Bell) coming out, that he didn’t run very big.” He posted a Wonderlic score of 21 and is from tiny Salem, N.J. “Melvin Gordon was different,” said a fourth scout. “He was slick and explosive and made big plays all the time. This guy is strong, not powerful. Excellent vision, excellent patience. Kind of a typical Wisconsin back. He just might have more of the workout-type attributes that you’re looking for. I’d rather have Gordon, all day.”

3. CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE, LSU (5-7, 207, 4.59, 1-2): He declared for the draft a year early after making dramatic strides as a third-year junior. “He’s so flexible and runs so low, he doesn’t give you anything to hit,” said one scout. “He’s got great contact balance. He’s creative and elusive. He’s got really natural hands. Talking to the people at LSU, I really like his makeup, too. Joe Burrow said he’s the best teammate he ever had. That’s real.” He never started a game in his first two seasons and finished with 370 carries for 2,103 yards (5.7) and 23 touchdowns to go with 69 receptions. “He is a 25, 30-carry a game guy,” said another scout. “He’s put together.” Has exciting ability as a receiver all over the formation. “I think he will take over that third-down role the minute he walks in the office,” said a third scout. “You can screen him, do things to get him the ball in space. Kevin Faulk kind of had that small, stocky stature. He’s a little squirt but I like him a lot. He reminds me of that kid that came out of Florida Atlantic (Devin Singletary) and played well this year. He’s more quick than Maurice Jones-Drew (but) Maurice had breakaway speed.” Scored 21 on the Wonderlic. “Some guys are too short, but I don’t think he is,” said a fourth scout. “He’s thick and just carries his weight so well. For some people it can be a benefit. Like Tarik Cohen. He’s short but thick. Or Russell Wilson, short and thick. It’s so hard to get them down because of their center of gravity.” Edwards-Helaire is from Baton Rouge, La.

“We had an awesome interview with him,” said a scout on JK Dobbins. “He’s really smart, really upbeat. He loves football. The whole thing is important to him.”(Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports)
4. J.K. DOBBINS, Ohio State (5-9 ½, 209, no 40, 1-2): Dobbins is a third-year junior and a three-year starter. “Like him,” said one scout. “He runs hard. Just a natural runner. He’s good on first contact. He runs with an edge. He’s going to be a really good back.” Dobbins played his best in big games and finished with 724 carries for 4,459 (6.2) and 38 TDs to go with 71 receptions. “We had an awesome interview with him,” said another scout. “He’s really smart, really upbeat. He loves football. The whole thing is important to him. He knows what he’s doing. He wants to be coached.” His deficiencies in pass protection became pronounced as the season went along. “He’s OK but he’s not special,” said a third scout. “He’s a good backup back. I don’t see him breaking tackles. He’s got to have room. He’s quick. He’s not a power back. He’s kind of a change-of-pace guy.” Dobbins is from LaGrange, Texas. “I’ve got him as the best back because I think he has more three-down ability,” said a fourth scout. “You can actually move him out of the backfield and do things. He can become a really good player in this league.” Dobbins posted a Wonderlic of 16.

5. CAM AKERS, Florida State (5-10 ½, 217, 4.46, 2-3): Akers joined Warrick Dunn and Dalvin Cook as the only Seminoles with more than one 1,000-yard rushing season. “You talk about a guy who was stuck with a lemon and trying to make lemonade out of it at FSU,” said one scout. “A nightmare, and he persevered through it. He’s a hell of a player. He was a quarterback in high school (Clinton, Miss.). He went to FSU when they were riding high and the whole program fell apart around him. I give him credit. That was a disaster. Terrible line. He was getting hit before the ball got to him.” A third-year junior, he carried 586 times for 2,874 (4.9) and 27 TDs to go with 69 receptions. “He ran like a scalded dog (in the 40), but he don’t play that way,” another scout said. “I questioned his toughness and run instincts. They did throw the ball to him. Cam Akers is the kind of kid who knows who to block and he will get in their way. Some of these kids won’t even get in the way. They try to cut.” Some scouts insist he isn’t special; others insist he is. “He’s not a great makeup guy,” said a third scout. “One of these talented guys that never put all the commitment there. But the guy has the talent to be an every-down back. It’s where you want to throw the dice on him.”

6. ZACK MOSS, Utah (5-9 ½, 223, 4.62, 3): Moss did himself no favors with a bad 40 at the combine. “But a lot of good backs run in the 4.6’s,” said one scout. “He’s going to give you an identity. Teams that want to be more of a ball-control, run-heavy team, this is your guy. He’s going to be a workhorse. He runs with an attitude. He really was Utah’s offense this year.” He finished with 712 carries for 4,067 (5.7) and 38 TDs to go with 66 receptions. Played four seasons, starting 37 of 45 games. “Eddie Lacy is probably a good comparison,” a second scout said. “Not as good. Runs hard, quick feet. Easily breaks arm tackles. No real burst. Degree of tightness. Aggressive, hard-charging runner.” He’s a medical question because of knee, ankle and shoulder injuries. “He’s big and has some fluid movement but I just didn’t see any suddenness, any burst,” said a third scout. “To me, he was just a guy. I didn’t see a great role (for) in the passing game. Maybe he fits your deal as a big back or maybe a 4-minute back or whatever.” Moss is from Hialeah Gardens, Fla.

7. KE’SHAWN VAUGHN, Vanderbilt (5-9 ½, 214, 4.50, 3-4): Vaughn played for bad teams at Illinois (2015-’16) and Vandy (2018-’19) and could be a sleeper. “Heck, I could see him eventually starting in the league,” said one scout. “He’s got burst. He’s talented. On an undermanned football team he had to shoulder the load this year. He’s kind of been forgotten about.” Vaughn started eight of 22 games for the Illini and 21 of 24 for the Commodores. “He can get the home run and the tough yards,” another scout said. “He (has) explosive speed. He has improved in the passing game but he’s still not ideal.” He finished with 572 carries for 3,296 (5.8) and 30 TDs to go with 67 receptions. “He’s stiff in the ankles and he played with nobody, but he’s a tough son of a gun now,” a third scout said. “He’s tough as poo poo. He played a lot better last year (2018) when (Pat) Shurmur’s kid (Kyle) was the quarterback.” Vaughn is from Nashville.

8. A.J. DILLON, Boston College (6-0 ½, 247, 4.50, 3-4): Dillon played just three seasons, but he holds the school record for yards (4,382) and TDs (38). “He and Derrick Henry are similar in the sense they’re better in carry 30 than carry five,” said one scout. “They lull you to sleep. They’re taller, not physical guys. But when you get to the third or fourth quarter, they’re just so heavy that people just get tired of hitting them. Derrick Henry was a much more natural runner coming out.” He stunned some NFL personnel by running a fast 40. Also led the backs in the Wonderlic (30), vertical jump (41 inches) and broad jump (10-11). “I didn’t think he had any speed,” said another scout. “His toughness wasn’t that good. He didn’t run like a power back. He wasn’t a tackle breaker. Very limited (as a receiver) but he can catch. He’s big and he’s hard to bring down. He should be knocking people down. He should be like a bowling ball with the pins but he’s not.” He finished with 845 carries, a 5.2 average and 21 receptions. “In the old days this guy would be a fullback,” a third scout said. “In goal-line and short-yardage the guy would be excellent. He gets 3 yards each time. He takes people with him.” Dillon is from New London, Conn.

“He’s fast, mean,” a scout said of Darrynton Evans. “He might turn out better than some of these more heralded guys.” (Icon Sportswire via AP Images)
9. DARRYNTON EVANS, Appalachian State (5-10, 203, 4.47, 3-4): Evans backed up in 2016, sat out ’17 with an injury redshirt and started 22 of 27 games in 2018-’19 before declaring a year early. “He’s a finesse guy,” said one scout. “He’s not a very strong inside runner, but get him on the perimeter and he’s got a really natural feel. He can slip (blocks) and make guys miss, and he’s a really good kickoff returner.” He finished with 482 carries for 2,884 (6.0) and 25 TDs to go with 39 receptions. “He’s fast, mean,” a second scout said. “He might turn out better than some of these more heralded guys. He’s got every bit as much ability as some of them. He’s just coming from a small program, albeit a successful one. He’s a good sleeper. It would not surprise me to see this guy starting within a year.” Evans is from Oak Hill, Fla. “He’s got good hands and some return ability, but he is not tough and he will not block,” said a third scout. “He’s not a tough kid at all. But he is an athletic, talented kid. Fourth round.”

10. ANTHONY McFARLAND, Maryland (5-8, 208, 4.44, 4): McFarland’s claim to fame was a 21-carry, 298-yard explosion against Ohio State in November 2018 when he scored on runs of 81 and 75 yards. “Just looking at that game, you get excited about him,” said one scout. “I remember there was one run, you go, ‘Who is this?’ Didn’t have quite the production you’d expect. He is a talented guy with speed.” McFarland departed with two years of eligibility remaining. “We took him off the board because his football character is absolutely atrocious,” said another scout. “He’s like a child. Really high maintenance. Every week there’s going to be something with this guy. Now, talent-wise, whew. He’s a weapon.” He ran a fast 40 at the combine but fared poorly in the vertical jump (29 ½) and broad jump (9-8). “Oh, man, he can accelerate,” a third scout said. “He looks like Dalvin Cook. He’s a little smaller but he has that type of speed. If you can give him a crease in a one-cut scheme I think he could be effective. Dalvin’s a more complete player, especially when you factor in the off-the-field stuff.” He finished with 239 carries for 1,636 (6.8) and 12 TDs to go with 24 receptions. McFarland’s Wonderlic score of 11 was the lowest among the top 12 backs. He’s from Hyattsville, Md.

11. ANTONIO GIBSON, Memphis (6-0 ½, 228, 4.41, 4): Gibson played two seasons in junior college and caught six passes as a backup WR in 2018 at Memphis before exploding for 12 TDs from scrimmage in ‘19. He moved from WR to RB late in the season, then played RB at the Senior Bowl. “The guy just came out of the blue,” said one scout. “The last two games they stuck him in the backfield and the guy just exploded. He looked extremely natural playing back there.” Gibson opened more eyes in Mobile, especially during the game. “You want to watch the Senior Bowl game,” another scout said. “He flashes speed. He’s got power. He can catch the ball. Will run a little high. Has to get that down. Will run aggressively inside. Has the feet to make defenders miss on inside runs. Huge ceiling.” Just 44 receptions and 33 carries in his career, and he scored 12 on the Wonderlic. “They had Tony Pollard the year before, and he kind of made a name for himself at Mobile,” said a third scout. “Gibson’s the same way. As a receiver this dude breaks a million tackles. If you draft him you need a really creative coordinator. He could end up being a better player than Jonathan Taylor.” Gibson is from Stockbridge, Ga.

12. JOSHUA KELLEY, UCLA (5-10 ½, 212, 4.53, 4-5): Kelley played two seasons at UC Davis, departed after a coaching change and walked on at UCLA, redshirting in 2017. He started in 2018-’19, surpassing 1,000 yards each year. “Similar to Jamaal Williams,” said one scout. “I’d take Kelley by a nod because he has more upside than Jamaal. He may not get much love on draft day, but he’s going to be a good pro.” Kelley finished with 647 carries for 3,442 (5.3) and 31 TDs to go with 42 catches and has an effervescent personality. “He’s going to play for somebody,” a second scout said. “He’s too knowledgeable, know what I mean?” He rushed 15 times for 105 yards in the Senior Bowl. Said a third scout: “I got him buried. Tight hips, dances too much. Dime-a-dozen running back.” Kelley is from Lancaster, Calif.

OTHERS, in order: DeeJay Dallas, Miami; Lamical Perine, Florida; Eno Benjamin, Arizona State; Mike Warren, Cincinnati; Patrick Taylor, Memphis; James Robinson, Illinois State; LeVante Bellamy, Western Michigan; Rico Dowdle, South Carolina; Darius Anderson, TCU; Raymond Calais, Louisiana; Javon Leake, Maryland; J.J. Taylor, Arizona; Xavier Jones, SMU; JaMycal Hasty, Baylor; Toren Young, Iowa.

FULLBACKS

One scout calls fullback Josiah Deguara a “Swiss army knife.” (Cal Sport Media via AP Images)
1. JOSIAH DEGUARA, Cincinnati (6-2 ½, 242, 4.72, 5-6): Deguara is a four-year player, two-year starter. “Swiss Army knife guy,” one scout said. “Played fullback at the Senior Bowl. He runs well. He’s a little short so you’re not going to use him on the line as much. He’s a wing, a fullback. He’s tough as nails. Really competitive guy. He’s a guy you want in your locker room. He’ll play on all the special teams. It’s hard for teams to find a fullback who can actually be good on teams. He will be that.” Finished with 92 catches, a record for Bearcats’ tight ends, for 1,117 (12.1) and 12 TDs. “He kind of did it all for them,” said a second scout. “He’s a good athlete. He’s quick, has good ball skills and is a competitive blocker. He’s a good football player.” Deguara is from Folsom, Calif.

2. JAKE BARGAS, North Carolina (6-1 1/2, 254, no 40, 7-FA): With no collegiate fullbacks available, teams are beating the bushes looking for tight ends to convert. Bargas played four years for the Tar Heels, starting just six of 48 games (none as a senior) as a tight end. “This guy’s strong, he’s physical,” one scout said. “You like the way he stones guys, you know? Not a great athlete. He’d be a good practice-squad fullback.” Finished with 21 receptions for 189 (9.0) and two TDs. From Boca Raton, Fla.

3. SEWO OLONILUA, TCU (6-2 ½, 232, 4.64, 7-FA): He played behind Darius Anderson, starting just nine of 52 games. “He leaves you scratching your head because he’s big and pretty and talented,” said one scout. “He’s got talent. They couldn’t get it out of him, and TCU’s a tough-minded program. If they couldn’t for four years, now we’re going to get it out of him?” He played fullback at the NFLPA all-star game, and because there are no fullbacks some teams have him on their boards at that position. “He is a strong short-yardage runner,” said a second scout. “I’ve never seen him block. He can catch. He runs hard.” Olonilua finished with 348 carries for 1,624 (4.7) and 18 TDs to go with 60 receptions and is from Kingwood, Texas.

OTHERS, in order: Reggie Gilliam, Toledo; James Lockhart, Baylor; Dominick Wood-Anderson, Tennessee.

THE SKINNY
UNSUNG HERO

Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State: Benjamin is one of the toughest, most reckless players in the draft. “Breaks a ton of tackles,” said one scout. “The offensive line there was horrible so a lot of times he had to create stuff on his own.” Rushed for 1,642 yards as a sophomore and 1,083 as a junior before declaring. At 5-9 and 207, his 4.56 clocking in the 40 hurt him more than it helped.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Lamical Perine, RB, Florida: He led the Gators in rushing from 2017-’19 but never gained more than 826 yards. Possesses excellent hands but ran just 4.59 at 5-10 ½, 216. Wonderlic of 8. “Thinks he has all the answers,” one scout said. “Not sure I trust him.” His cousin, Samaje, was the Redskins’ fourth-round pick out of Oklahoma in 2017 and led them in rushing (603) as a rookie.

SCOUT TO REMEMBER

Dick Mansperger: A meticulous Californian, Mansperger was described by one of his peers as “professional” and “focused.” In 1965, Mansperger left collegiate coaching to join the Cowboys as a scout. He spent a decade there, then departed for Seattle in 1976 to become director of player personnel for the expansion Seahawks. During his highly successful tenure he “stole” quarterback Jim Zorn from the Cowboys’ clutches and then uncovered free agent Dave Krieg to succeed him. Mansperger returned to Dallas in 1984 and, as director of college scouting, played a vital role in building three Super Bowl-winning teams. He quit the Cowboys in 1992 after a salary dispute with owner Jerry Jones. Mansperger died in 2013 at age 80.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel man: “I try not to overscout pass pro. At that (collegiate) level, they don’t spend a ton of time on it. They don’t get coached on a lot of the mechanics of it. If a back’s willing to put his face in there and has enough strike to stop the charge, I keep him alive.”

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I was gonna post opinions on Dobbins being underrated and hoping Dillon puts on even more weight and becomes Brandon Jacobs reborn but then I got to this:

quote:

SCOUT TO REMEMBER

Dick Mansperger

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That is the perfect scout/draft expert name.

Dobbins is tied for my #1 hope should the Chiefs go in that direction along with Swift (surely one and perhaps both of them will be gone by that pick). I still don't want them to go RB early but on the off chance they do.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
NFL decision-makers are studying the rushers, the stuffers and the studs as they make final adjustments to the defensive line on their draft boards.

The class isn’t a good one, nor is it a bad one. For every hit will come a miss. Yet the rewards are so vital at this most critical position that teams come back for more every year.

“At some point, you’ve got to take a shot on these guys,” one executive in personnel said. “These dudes don’t grow on trees.”

Exactly.

“This might be the position most of all that people just kind of invent players,” said another personnel man. ‘Oh, we’ve gotta have big bodies.’ OK, but if they’re not any good, how does it help you?”

Auburn’s Derrick Brown is the chairman of the board, and some scouts say South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw has a chance to be even better when their careers are wrapped up. Brown is one of the five best players in the draft regardless of position, and Kinlaw is the No. 2 defensive lineman on most draft boards.

“Brown’s probably the most certain of the top guys in the draft,” said an AFC scout. “It’s a bit of a reach to say he’s the best player in the draft, but I don’t think he’s going to fail. His floor is very high.”

Kinlaw, another senior, is almost the exact same imposing size as Brown but has even longer arms and much bigger hands.

“Probably not as good an athlete as (Albert) Haynesworth,” another personnel man said. “But he gives a better effort.”

When those two come off the board, the sweat marks will expand under the arms of many decision-makers because the fun is just beginning. A cluster of eight big men will be staring teams in the face, and those that get it right here will have taken a giant step toward winning the draft.

The rushers, or 3-techniques, would be TCU’s Ross Blacklock, Oklahoma’s Neville Gallimore and Auburn’s Marlon Davidson.

Jordan Elliott of Missouri and Justin Madubuike of Texas A&M are viewed as more versatile by teams because they’re comfortable playing 3-technique or nose tackle.

Then come the three stuffers: Alabama’s Raekwon Davis, Ohio State’s Davon Hamilton and Utah’s Leki Fotu.

My poll of 17 personnel people revealed little agreement beyond Brown and Kinlaw. Brown was a unanimous choice among the scouts, and Kinlaw gathered 16 second-place votes to go with one third.

The point totals in the 1-to-5 voting showed Brown with 85 and Kinlaw with 65. Following, in order, were Blacklock (31), Gallimore (21), Davidson (16), Madubuike (11), Davis (10), Elliott (nine), Fotu (three) and Hamilton and Arkansas’ McTelvin Agim, each with two points.

What stood out in the balloting was the attractiveness of the rushers over the stuffers.

“When seven of the 10 plays are passes in the National Football League, you don’t need those guys anymore,” one executive said in reference to run-stopping base defensive ends. “Everybody will give up size for quickness and rush. It’s happening in high school. If you can’t run, then your chances of playing are slim and none.”

That’s where Blacklock, Gallimore, Davidson and possibly Madubuike come in. All are somewhat undersized for regular turns at 1-technique. What they possess are speed and athletic ability.

Gallimore (4.82), Madubuike (4.85) and Blacklock (4.91) all can run, and Davidson, despite a 5.04 clocking, had more career sacks (17) than the others.

In the past five years, just nine defensive tackles with 3-technique characteristics and sub-4.9 speed were drafted in the first four rounds. You can define the hits and the misses.

Quinnen Williams (6-3, 299, 4.82) and Ed Oliver (6-2, 284, 4.73) were first-round choices last year. In 2018, P.J. Hall (6-0 1/2, 308, 4.76) went in the second, and Da’Shawn Hand (6-3 1/2, 298, 4.84) went in the fourth.

In 2017, it was Montravius Adams (6-3 1/2, 304, 4.88) in the third round. In 2016, it was Robert Nkemdiche (6-3 1/2, 295, 4.89) in the first, Adam Gotsis (6-4 1/2, 292, 4.89) in the second and Javon Hargrave (6-1 1/2, 305, 4.88) in the third. And, in 2015, it was Xavier Cooper (6-3, 293, 4.85) in the third.

An AFC personnel man paused before sizing up the triumvirate of Blacklock, Gallimore and Madubuike.

“They all have potential,” the scout said. “They all test out well. I wish they played a little more consistently. They all have some speed, some quickness. They all have plays that are pretty darn impressive, and they all disappear in stretches.”

One scout listed Brown and Kinlaw as 1-techniques in a positional grouping that also included Davis, Madubuike, Fotu, Hamilton and LSU’s Rashard Lawrence.

An evaluator summed up the never-ending assignment for him and his peers like this: “You’ve just got to get the right one.”

“He’s the case study on why a kid comes back for his senior year,” a scout said about Auburn’s Derrick Brown. (Brian Spurlock / USA Today)
RANKING THE DEFENSIVE LINE
1. DERRICK BROWN, Auburn (6-4 1/2, 324, 5.17, 1): Returned for his senior season with a purpose, solidifying his status as the best interior player available. “He’s such a big guy,” said one scout. “He’s not explosive and twitchy like a Gerald McCoy coming out. The 3-techs like Warren Sapp are quicker than him, but he’s so big I don’t think it really matters. He’s pretty quick for his size, and he plays hard.” McCoy (6-4, 298, 5.06) and Ndamukong Suh (6-4, 304, 5.08) were compared by scouts to Brown, as was Fletcher Cox (6-4, 299, 4.80). “The difference between him and Ndamukong Suh is Suh had your typical lazy big-man tendencies,” another scout said. “This kid plays hard all the time. I think he’s No. 1 in the draft against the run. He’s the case study on why a kid comes back for his senior year. He probably would have been a late first last year, and now he’s going in the top six or seven. He made himself tens of millions of dollars. Just a really good football player and a really good kid. Going into the year, some teams thought he might be too nice. He certainly didn’t play that way this year. Really disruptive, powerful, quick.” A durable three-year starter, he finished with 170 tackles (33 1/2 for loss) and 13 sacks. “He’s far and away the best,” said a third scout. “He’s the total package. There ain’t nothing he can’t do. Just watch the Alabama game. He’s phenomenal.” According to one scout, Brown displayed stunning speed getting out of his stance and hitting the bag in drills. The only negative would be small hands (9 inches). From Sugar Hill, Ga.

2. JAVON KINLAW, South Carolina (6-5, 324, no 40, 1): Spent his first year of college at a junior college before starting 34 of 37 games from 2017 to 2019. “In two or three years he could pass Brown up,” said one scout. “He’s got more physical tools. He’s longer. He can run. Just figuring things out. Changed his body this year. Lost 20 pounds from the previous season (2018). If he can stay on the trajectory he’s on, you’ve got a perennial Pro Bowl-type player. He has lived out of his car. He’s battled through a lot of adversity in life. He had a child this offseason, and that usually sends a guy one of two ways: into a tailspin or focused. He’s focused.” Finished with 93 tackles (18 for loss), 10 1/2 sacks and 10 passes defensed. “The easy comparison is Chris Jones (6-5 1/2, 311, 5.01),” another scout said. “They both were kind of inconsistent as college players but have a ton of upside. He’d run about 5.0. He’s a really good athlete.” His arms (34 7/8) were the longest of the top 25 D-tackles. Hands were 10 1/2 inches. “He’s got star-or-bust written all over him,” said a third scout. “Not instinctive. He is big and strong but I don’t completely trust him.” His family, which is from Trinidad, eventually settled in Charleston, S.C. “You talk about busts, I think he’ll be,” a fourth scout said. “He doesn’t know how to play. He’s got that big upper body. More of a straight-line, gap-charging, try-to-bull-you guy. Doesn’t have much movement or feel or hand use. He has those (bust) traits where he just tries to outmuscle and outpower everybody. You just don’t see the production. He’s just really a flash player.”

3. ROSS BLACKLOCK, TCU (6-3, 290, 4.91, 1-2): Played RB and TE for some of his high school career. “Dad was a (Harlem) Globetrotter,” said one scout. “Great home life. Best football is ahead of him. He’s got feet, eyes, strength to push the pocket. He can two-gap. Understands how to use his hands. Has a feel for the game. Has quickness and burst. All his is upside. I do see him as a first-rounder.” Redshirted in 2016, started in ’17, blew out his Achilles and sat out ’18, started in ’19 and declared a year early. “Depending on what he weighs, he can do a lot,” another scout said. “He was 310 at one time. He ran 4.9 at 310, same as at 290. It’s hard to find college players on the inside that have legit pass-rush ability. He does. … He’s immature. That shows up in his film, too. When he gets hard coaching from guys that make him grow up and be a man, it’ll show up on the field as well.” Finished with 67 tackles (15 1/2 for loss) and 5 1/2 sacks. “You see some athletic ability,” said a third scout. “Nimble, quick. But a non-explosive guy. He just gets beat up inside. I don’t think he’s very tough or competitive. Just a flash gap-penetrating guy.” From Missouri City, Texas.

4. NEVILLE GALLIMORE, Oklahoma (6-2, 305, 4.82, 1-2): Played mostly NT for the Sooners but projects as a 3-technique. “He and Blacklock are pretty similar,” said one scout. “Gallimore plays a little harder. He flashes a ton when he chases. He can really run sideline to sideline.” Started at least five games in all four seasons after redshirting in 2015. “Not a perfect player, but he’s fun to watch,” said a second scout. “He’s a really good athlete. He’s really explosive, but he’s a linear athlete and gets really (upright).” Finished with 148 tackles (18 for loss) and 8 1/2 sacks. “I’m lukewarm on him,” a third scout said. “I don’t know if he’s got a true feel for it. Gets a little disruption as an interior pass rusher. More of a one-gap player. He’ll get engulfed at times. Does he have steel, or is he just a flash player? Second round.” Born and raised in the Canadian capital of Ottawa by Jamaican parents. “He was almost unblockable at the Senior Bowl,” said a fourth scout. “His competitiveness isn’t an issue. But for his ability level his productivity isn’t very good.” Short arms (32 3/4).

5. MARLON DAVIDSON, Auburn (6-3 1/2, 300, 5.04, 1-2): His main attributes, according to one scout, are his tremendous leadership ability and overwhelming love of the game. “He ran that room,” another scout said of the Tigers’ defensive-line meeting space, which included Derrick Brown. “He’s a badass. I wouldn’t take him in the first, but I would in the second. My problem with him is, I can show you two or three plays where they block him to the ground. First-rounders, in my book, don’t get blocked to the ground. Pancaked.” Possesses first-step quickness, good feet and all-out playing tempo. Played alongside Green Bay’s Montravius Adams in 2016. “I think he’s better than Adams, but he’s different,” said a third scout. “I see him more as a 3-4 5-technique. Kind of a tweener. He’s not fast enough to play (4-3) end. On rush downs, he’d be excellent inside.” Finished with 175 tackles (29 1/2 for loss), 17 sacks and nine passes defensed in 51 games, all starts. “I don’t think he’ll go in the first just because of the injury history and the fact he’s a little bit of a one-year wonder,” a fourth scout said. “They said he was 275 when we were there (last fall). Then he shows up at the Senior Bowl at 300 (actually 297; he was 303 at the combine and 296 at pro day March 6). Now people wonder if he’s an inside guy. I think somebody got into his head and said you need to be around 300, but I don’t think that’s his game. I think his game is 280 and movement.” From Greenville, Ala.

6. JORDAN ELLIOTT, Missouri (6-4, 302, 5.01, 1-2): Began his career playing six games at Texas in 2016. Sat out ’17 as a transfer before backing up in ’18 and starting in ’19. “He’s a 3-technique and he can two-gap,” said one scout. “He flashes burst. He’s a disruptor. Has some issues with size blockers. Kid’s got good film. He’s really good.” Finished with 76 tackles (19 1/2 for loss) and six sacks. “He’s not starter level,” said a second scout. “He doesn’t have that type of twitch or that type of hand use. He’s a decent pass rusher.” Played the season between 300 and 305 after having been 320-plus earlier in his career. “Just more of an effort pass rusher,” said a third scout. “More of just a run stopper. Knows how to play. I thought he’d be a nice utility backup type guy to have.” His score of 30 on the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test was the highest at the position. His arm length (32 3/8) was the second-shortest among the top 15 defensive linemen. From Missouri City, Texas.

7. JUSTIN MADUBUIKE, Texas A&M (6-2 1/2, 293, 4.85, 2): Fourth-year junior paced the position in the 3-cone at 7.37 seconds. One team that throws all testing numbers into a hopper and comes up with overall rankings had him as the best athlete at the position. “He’s a really good athlete,” said one scout. “He’ll be a third-rounder. He’s got some character concerns. Just personality and small things off the field with his teammates.” Fourth-year junior redshirted in 2016, backed up in ’17 and started and won team MVP honors each of the past two seasons. “He’s got as much talent as any of ’em,” said a second scout. “But he doesn’t love football. He can do everything. He can run, too.” Finished with 105 tackles (24 1/2 for loss) and 11 sacks. “He’s more than athlete enough, but he’s one of those guys who picks his spots,” a third scout said. “He’s got to play inside, and I don’t know if he can. He’s more like a move nose tackle than an anchor. … He was a highly rotated player. He tapped himself out. I don’t think he’s a tough guy.” Arms were 33 1/2, hands were merely 9. From McKinney, Texas.

One scout said Alabama’s Raekwon Davis is an ideal prospect to play end or nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. (Joe Robbins / Getty Images)
8. RAEKWON DAVIS, Alabama (6-6, 311, 5.13, 2-3): According to one scout, he’s an ideal prospect to play end or nose tackle in a 3-4 defense because he’s a better run stopper than any other DT in the draft. “He’s a two-gap, huge, long, strong, physical (player),” said another scout. “He’s impressive. I think he brings more value for a 3-4 team. You could put him at 5-technique and he’d shut stuff down now.” Part-time starter in 2017 yet still came up with 8 1/2 sacks. Finished with 11 1/2 in 48 games (32 starts) to go with 175 tackles (19 1/2 for loss). “When he walks in the room you say, ‘Oh, my gosh, this guy’s incredible,’” said a third scout. “The truth of it is he looks the part but he doesn’t really play the part. Yeah, he had seven sacks (8 1/2) one year, but that was more the benefit of what was around him. Not much pass rush. Boom or bust. He can bend, but I don’t see any twitch in him. He’s just a big 3-4 D-end. There’s value in that maybe on one down per series. After that, it’s throw the ball here, there and everywhere.” Arms were 33 7/8, hands tied for the position lead at 11. “He’s sort of slipped a little bit,” said a fourth scout. “I don’t know what happened to him. I liked him earlier in his career. He might be one of those guys that plays much better than he did this year. He did dominate at times as a (sophomore).” From Meridian, Miss.

9. DAVON HAMILTON, Ohio State (6-3 1/2, 320, 5.17, 2-3): Fifth-year starter. Had to wait until 2019 to crack the lineup. “Starting nose tackle,” said one scout. “More motor and power to push the pocket than he is explosive on the edge. His first- and second-down value is better than his pass rush, but he’s got enough.” Played better and better as the season went on. “A lot of guys were putting fifth-round grades on him, thinking they were sticking their necks out on a one-year starter,” said another scout. “Now they regret it. I think he’ll go second round, and he should. He’s super talented. Really powerful. Will have value on third down because he can collapse the pocket. He’ll be a really good starter.” Finished with 66 tackles (21 for loss) and seven sacks. “Like the way he plays,” a third scout said. “Square body. Wide body. Plays hard. He’s a two-down nose type. Not much range. Just a box-area banger. He worked out really well. Probably third round.” Led the position on the bench press with 33 reps. From Pickerington, Ohio.

10. LEKI FOTU, Utah (6-5 1/2, 330, 5.17, 2-3): If a team needs someone to two-gap ala Vince Wilfork, this is the player. “He’s a 1-tech that totally controls the point of attack,” said one scout. “Jeffery Simmons was a little bit like him, but he was quicker than Fotu. He can push the guard to the quarterback. He’s so big that I question his arm length. His torso is so thick that his arms don’t fall.” Big all over. Arms measured 34 1/4, hands were 10 5/8. “He’s gigantic,” another scout said. “Tough guy. Strong. A one-down nowadays nose tackle. Not even two downs anymore. He’s a box-area, run-support player.” Finished with 85 tackles (18 for loss) and 4 1/2 sacks. “There’s no way this guy can play for us,” a third scout said. “If a team really wants a 3-4 nose, he’s probably the best one. That’s what this guy is made for.” From Oakland, Calif.

11. McTELVIN AGIM, Arkansas (6-2 1/2, 308, 4.94, 3-4): Played as a base DE for three seasons before shifting inside as a senior. “He did some good things in some all-star games,” one scout said. “Probably more consistent in those games than he was on college tape. Late rounds, but I know there are people that like him.” Started 40 of 49 games, finishing with 145 tackles (31 1/2 for loss) and 16 sacks. “We thought he could play inside or base end in a big scheme,” said a second scout. “He needs some development. He’s kind of like a (early) Day 3 pick. Maybe end of Day 2.” Vertical jump of 30 1/2 led the position. Arms were 33 1/2, hands were 10 1/8. “He has really good initial quickness so he’ll flash,” said a third scout. “They (the flashes) are few and far between. He disappears for long stretches. He did have a good week at the Senior Bowl. He has some pass rush to him, and a lot of these inside guys don’t. He has the ability to get on an edge and win. I just see a big underachiever on tape, but I don’t think he gets out of the fourth round.” From Texarkana, Texas.

12. LARRELL MURCHISON, North Carolina State (6-2 1/2, 297, 5.06, 3): Played two years in junior college, redshirted in 2017 and started all 25 games in 2018-19. “He’s a very good football player,” said one scout. “He doesn’t look like anything on the hoof. You see him and go, ‘That’s Murchison?’ But he’s kind of sneaky athletic. He makes a ton of plays for a guy inside. He chases, plays hard, always knows where the ball’s going. I don’t know if he’s a Pro Bowl-type player but a guy you want on your team. When he’s not on the field, you’re going to know it.” Lined up inside and outside in a 3-3-5 defense. Finished with 82 tackles (20 for loss) and 11 sacks. “Man, if you go off the Senior Bowl, he’s like a Pro Bowler,” another scout said. “They couldn’t block him at the Senior Bowl. He is a talented guy. He has to win off the snap. The longer the play goes, the less effective he is. He’s a movement guy. He’ll be disqualified from other schemes. He’s a backup. Maybe a fourth-rounder as a 3-technique.” His vertical jump of 30 1/2 led the position. From Elizabethtown, N.C.

13. JAMES LYNCH, Baylor (6-3 1/2, 289, 4.96, 3-4): Declared for the draft a year early after coach Matt Rhule departed for Carolina. “Very hard-playing,” said one scout. “Productive. He’s a tweener, between end and defensive tackle. High-level second-wave guy, probably. He’ll come in mainly on passing downs.” Broke the Bears’ record for sacks in a season (13 1/2 in 2019) and sacks in a career (22). Also made 101 tackles (33 1/2 for loss). His problem is 31 7/8 arms. “I feel 32 is the bare minimum,” a second scout said. “He’s going to have problems. He’s undersized to go inside, and he’s not fast enough to be an edge guy at 4.97. He’s a backup guy that will create some havoc for the offensive line. He does compete. He can play the run. He’s a good football player, but he’s not special.” Wonderlic of 26 was second-best among DTs. “Doesn’t have long speed but does a nice job getting skinny and has good feel for the game,” a third scout said. “Plays hard. Don’t see the athleticism.” From Round Rock, Texas.

14. RASHARD LAWRENCE, LSU (6-2, 308, 5.16, 4-5): Three-year starter. “More of an overachiever, grunt type of player,” said one scout. “Like the way he plays. One-down run support. Combative player. Not much pass rush. Guy you’d like on your team. Academic All-SEC twice. Was captain (for three years).” Production declined sharply as a senior. Finished with 120 tackles (21 for loss) and nine sacks. Has a history of knee (patellar tendon) and ankle injuries. Hands (11) tied for the largest at the position. “He’s a Steady Eddie,” a second scout said. “He’s had a ton of lower-body injuries. He’s a third-day guy, at best.” From Monroe, La.

15. ROBERT WINDSOR, Penn State (6-4 1/2, 290, 4.90, 5-6): Two-year starter as a 3-technique. “He is strong and is 100 percent,” said one scout. “You’re going to want the guy in camp, but I don’t think he’ll make it. He’s not that big. Basically, what you see is what you get.” His outstanding workout at the combine included a position-best short shuttle of 4.44. Other than a superb performance against Iowa, scouts say he seldom played to his testing numbers. “He’s got a quick first step and high motor,” said one scout. “Keeps his feet moving. He’s better in the pass than the run. Lacks strength and is often exposed. Gets overpowered by the bigger blockers. Needs to see the field better to make plays. … Marches to the beat of his own drum. He’s perceived as a selfish guy. Hasn’t bought into the program. He’s got that privileged-kid kind of thing.” Stunned the PSU staff in the offseason by working out off-campus on his own rather than at the university with teammates. ”He’s a make-it guy,” said a third scout. “A 5-technique who can probably play any position across the D-line.” Finished with 121 tackles (20 for loss) and 14 sacks. From Fond du Lac, Wis.

OTHERS, in order: John Penisini, Utah; Josiah Coatney, Mississippi; Raequan Williams, Michigan State; Carlos Davis, Nebraska; Tyler Clark, Georgia; Khalil Davis, Nebraska; Benito Jones, Mississippi; Jashon Cornell, Ohio State; Darrion Daniels, Nebraska; Malcolm Roach, Texas; Calvin Taylor, Kentucky; Bravvion Roy, Baylor; Robert Landers, Ohio State.

THE SKINNY
UNSUNG HERO

John Penisini, NT, Utah: A rugby player who didn’t play football until his senior year of high school in West Jordan, Utah. Spent two years at a junior college, backed up in 2017 and started at 3-technique alongside Leki Fotu for two years. Penisini (6-1 1/2, 318) offers next to nothing as a pass rusher, but there are teams that like his ruggedness and shock-absorbing capabilities.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Raequan Williams, NT, Michigan State: Played well at 315-plus as a junior but wasn’t as effective at 300 as a senior. He was down to 287 at the Senior Bowl, but a month later was 308 at the combine. Durable, conscientious big man (6-4, 308) who gives great effort. If Williams gets his weight squared away, he might earn a run-down rotational role.

SCOUT TO REMEMBER

Bucko Kilroy: He spent 64 years in the NFL, first as a six-time All-Pro lineman in Philadelphia and then as a successful GM, personnel director and scout for the Eagles, Redskins, Cowboys and Patriots. He helped found the National Football Scouting combine in 1981. Intelligent, innovative and barrel-chested. A larger-than-life character. Dick Steinberg, one of the many outstanding scouts whom Kilroy hired, said in 1992: “He knows as much about pro football as anyone in history.” He died in 2007 at age 86.

QUOTE TO NOTE

AFC executive in personnel: “The stationary guy in today’s football, I don’t know how he survives. At any position.”

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bucko Kilroy and Dick Mansperger are what I call my fists

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Someone is gonna snag Dobbins in the late 2nd and look like a genius for it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lots of tread on those tires for a 5'10 RB who can't pass protect.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Lots of tread on those tires for a 5'10 RB who can't pass protect.

I suppose my argument on pass protection is it can be taught as long as you're willing to stick your nose in there, which he certainly is.

The tread thing with college backs is something I go back and forth on. I mean this was a knock on Ron Dayne and Ron Dayne sucked! But it was also a knock on LdT and he was awesome. So I don't know. Feel like guys are just either going to work out or bust on their own for the most part whether or not they averaged 300 carries a season in college.

I mean that's a wishy washy as gently caress position to take I admit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We also have a 6'2 220 SB ring wearin running back already so I feel like the guy we could use the most is Swift.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

what's funniest about the running backs is how they get smaller every single year. this there's only two guys over 5'11 in the top 10, and they're only six feet tall. Most of the top guys are 5'9 or under. It makes sense, but it's still interesting

tarbrush posted:

NFL decision-makers are studying the rushers, the stuffers and the studs as they make final adjustments to the defensive line on their draft boards.

I like what he said about Davon Hamilton, that guy is gonna be good for a player you can find in the third or fourth round (maybe). Underrated probably because he only started one year but be the end of it he looked really good, and performed well at the combine.

Seems like a reasonably weak year for D tackles overall, wouldn't be surprised if more end up going earlier than we think

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Here’s Joe Thomas thread breaking down the top 4 OTs

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/1252059622040535040

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/1252059624544653314

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I disagree Mr. HoF lock OT, and furthermore

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Here’s Joe Thomas thread breaking down the top 4 OTs

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/1252059622040535040

That's a mighty strong endorsement of Becton. But if you're not gonna believe Joe Thomas who are you gonna believe?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Honestly think Joe is prepping the Brown's faithful for Becton. He's still a company man

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Queen's so tiny I can't believe he's being talked up as a top 25 pick but here we are. He has zero blocker shedding ability and relies on his speed so much, even when tackling. It's like watching a free safety blitz. Yeah when he doesn't get picked up he gets there super fast and causes a big disruption, but when he gets picked up he gets blanked. Had a big sack against Georgia that was pretty much entirely due to a wtf spin move after getting shoved into the turf by their LG. A bunch of his highlight sacks are coverage sacks too. Just so much time given to him by that awesome secondary they had the last two years.

He's so good in coverage that I don't think he'll drop much, if at all. Ideally you want a LB that can blitz, run stop, and cover, but the NFL has been steadily shrinking their LBs every year. Way more emphasis on gang tackling and having fast guys on defense that can get to and assist on tackles as well. In that way Queen is pretty good. He'll wrap up RBs if there's no one in front of him and he'll beat TEs to points along the route and probably keep up with slot receivers too. He obviously learned something under Devin White because he's amazing at diagnosing and getting to the right spot. It's just that in the NFL I expect a lot of teams to run the gently caress out of the ball when he's on the field. I doubt any of the AFC South would take him just because of the Colts o-line.

Pretty sure Jon Beason was about the same size coming out and he didn't hold up at all beyond year 4 or so and he had a solid group around him.

I like Queen in the right team but yeah dude is going to get bashed and broken if he doesn't go to the right place.

Beason had insanely good read and react and flowed through traffic really well though.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 20, 2020

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

3 days 13 hours 21 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

What's up Ehud.