Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

Having spent 10 years in SoCal and then another 10 in the Bay Area, I find that the definite article phases in and out depending on which freeway I started using when. It's still "The 5" and "The 101", but stuff up here I refer to as just "87", "280", etc. Granted I also have something of an overly sympathetic dialect.

I will never be caught dead saying "hella" though, I have one moral line I refuse to cross. :colbert:

That’s hella disappointing. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

it hella dumb as hell not to say hella hellas

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rah! posted:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

Safeway is Safeway and Pak 'n' Save. Lucky and FoodMaxx are all Save Mart brands. We'll see how resilient our food supply is I guess.

Ah OK. For some reason I thought they all belonged to Albertsons.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rah! posted:

Agreed, saying hella is agg

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

droll posted:

Ah OK. For some reason I thought they all belonged to Albertsons.

Save Mart acquired Albertsons a few years ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This thread title is an act of Northern Aggression

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

Save Mart acquired Albertsons a few years ago.

Safeway is an Albertsons company. If Save Mart is Luckys/Foodmax and Safeway is an Albertsons company then Save Mart acquired Albertsons then

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Complications posted:

It is the sacrifice that all must make to visit the city of dreams. All who go must take the five, and when you, too, visit you will know when the time comes.

Southern Californian spotted.
Also, I would have no problems if you northerners said "take I-5". It's one more syllable. It's a single letter. For God's sake, have some dignity!

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
hella cool, y'all

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have been avoiding safeways, I have a friend that works in one and its a clusterfuck on how they are handling this all.
Even before I knew that, the last time I went to one there was no distancing being enforced, no ppe, the hand sanitizers and cart wipes were empty and the customers were behaving worse than customers at walmart(!) and the employees had the look like they had enough of this poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

droll posted:

Safeway is an Albertsons company. If Save Mart is Luckys/Foodmax and Safeway is an Albertsons company then Save Mart acquired Albertsons then

Okay, looking at it again, Save Mart acquired a lot of Albertson's locations in Northern California and rebranded them as Luckys, then later Safeway and Albertsons merged.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also, I would have no problems if you northerners said "take I-5". It's one more syllable. It's a single letter. For God's sake, have some dignity!

over here in northern ca I normally use the five when I can to avoid the murderous ca-99 east ca/70 when going up to chico

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

This thread title is an act of Northern Aggression

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

I have been avoiding safeways, I have a friend that works in one and its a clusterfuck on how they are handling this all.
Even before I knew that, the last time I went to one there was no distancing being enforced, no ppe, the hand sanitizers and cart wipes were empty and the customers were behaving worse than customers at walmart(!) and the employees had the look like they had enough of this poo poo.

Counterpoint: the one by me is limiting the number of people in the store at once, has someone wiping down carts and baskets, has aisles converted to one-way traffic, has six-foot markings for the line, has plexiglass up separating the cashier from the customer, and alternates open lanes every few customers so they can wipe everything down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Somebody put a sign out in front of their house down the street that says "It's my grandmother's birthday! Honk!" with the family and grandma chilling on the lawn. You would think this would just lead to, you know, the occasional honk as somebody passed by right? No, it lead to a 30 minute traffic jam as a giant line of cars decided to stop in front of the house, honk, then get out of the car and go up to give grandma a hug. This went on for over half an hour, and unless grandma knows half the neighborhood she just got hugs from a couple dozen randos.

"It's my grandmother's birthday! Please come infect her!" :shepface:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kenning posted:

As someone who was born in San Diego, raised in the Valley, and went to college in the Bay, I use or omit the definite article perfectly at random. I have transcended regionalism to personally embody the spirit of California juche and the science of dialectical Gavinism.

What are your thoughts on the usage of "San Fran"? :allears:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I see we moved away from the discussion on calling the cops, but I find it interesting that posters essentially come into alignment with libertarian arguments about law.

The libertarian, by analogy, would argue that you should only make something a law if you're willing to put a gun to someone's head to enforce it. In essence posters arguing that you shouldn't call the cops are making the same argument - the cops could use violent force, and thus you should only be willing to call them if you're ok with someone getting a gun put to their head.

This is not a criticism in the sense of "oh you agree with libertarians you must be wrong durr" but rather an observation.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It is disgusting that some people would put off calling cops if someone is being raped or beaten but whatever.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Celexi posted:

It is disgusting that some people would put off calling cops if someone is being raped or beaten but whatever.

I don't think anyone in the thread said this though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

I see we moved away from the discussion on calling the cops, but I find it interesting that posters essentially come into alignment with libertarian arguments about law.

The libertarian, by analogy, would argue that you should only make something a law if you're willing to put a gun to someone's head to enforce it. In essence posters arguing that you shouldn't call the cops are making the same argument - the cops could use violent force, and thus you should only be willing to call them if you're ok with someone getting a gun put to their head.

This is not a criticism in the sense of "oh you agree with libertarians you must be wrong durr" but rather an observation.

Incredible that D&D has degraded to the point that they cannot tell anarchist thought apart from libertarian thought

Celexi posted:

An abstract post, to be sure. Is it a Pollock?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BeAuMaN posted:

I don't think anyone in the thread said this though.

sorry I misread an earlier post

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Incredible that D&D has degraded to the point that they cannot tell anarchist thought apart from libertarian thought.

It's certainly anarchist thought as well. Incredible that D&D has degraded that no one takes on arguments in good faith anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

It's certainly anarchist thought as well. Incredible that D&D has degraded that no one takes on arguments in good faith anymore.

For that matter, that government is enforced by its monopoly of the legitimate use of physical force is not a libertarian argument. The libertarian argument would be that you have no right to enact a law by putting a gun to someone's head to enforce it, because that is not a legitimate use of physical force as, e.g., your right to extend your fist ends where it meets someone else's nose. That the government is tyrannical where and because it intrudes on people's personal lives is a core tenet of libertarianism; a libertarian would absolutely be in favor of people's unrestricted right to party during pandemics because they don't believe in common goods.

The argument I actually made is none of those things, but rather that cops are an inherently violent and unaccountable force that ultimately answers to capital and not to the people, and you should only call them if the situation is life-threatening, and in an ideal world the community would band together to fulfill that function.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Historically "libertarian" was a left-wing term, and still has left-wing connotations in lots of environments. Its use by a certain strand of ultramarket rightwing ideology in the US is pretty modern.

BeAuMaN posted:

People who say "San Fran" will be reeducated through labor in the data mines.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenning posted:

Historically "libertarian" was a left-wing term, and still has left-wing connotations in lots of environments. Its use by a certain strand of ultramarket rightwing ideology in the US is pretty modern.

If they were using it in that sense it would be kind of a no-brainer and not something noteworthy to comment on, wouldn't it? :shrug:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is the California thread, not the Pacific Northwest thread :colbert:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Foxfire_ posted:

We're all part of the West Coast Alliance now so we need to stop drawing arbitrary borders between us and start embracing national unity

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kenning posted:

People who say "San Fran" will be reeducated through labor in the data mines.

As long as people who call it "the city" get put in the camp too, I'm okay with this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Foxfire_ posted:

Our client states have to have a safe space somewhere on the forum :Gavin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As a person who has never owned or driven a car, and lived in the East Bay all his life, I literally never have need to reference the freeways. I wouldn't even know which one was 580 and which one was 80, I just hear people complain about them all the time. I have no preference for "The" or "no-The".

Now ask me which of the AC transit buses you need to hop on to get from downtown Berkeley to downtown Oakland, then we're talking.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sundae posted:

As long as people who call it "the city" get put in the camp too, I'm okay with this.

I prefer Sanny Franny

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Comrade droll expresses the disruptive spirit of Gavinism that will carry us forward.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
It's Hella 5, by the way.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Frisco

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Fresno and Frisco, pearls of the Bay Area.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

BeAuMaN posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Boot and Rally posted:

Fresno and Frisco, pearls of the Bay Area.

Does anyone use the term Frisco that isn't a Stockton/sacramento drug dealer?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
We have this discussion every year, "Frisco" was used in literature in the 60's like in particular, Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe and also by skeezy bikers up and down the coast. It's mostly the recent east coast invaders that get all worked up by it. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

BeAuMaN posted: