Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jaded Burnout posted:

That is some extremely cool real world Thunderbirds poo poo.

With Ferrari shields no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

That is some extremely cool real world Thunderbirds poo poo.

Another, earlier take on the same thing is the Strick Cab-under.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Another, earlier take on the same thing is the Strick Cab-under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4nKdMYKGc

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wrong thread.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Yeah, it is awesome. But I suspect such a short wheelbase would make the handling quite terrible. Slippery road, heavy crosswind, and I bet it's the trailer that chooses the direction of travel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Saukkis posted:

Yeah, it is awesome. But I suspect such a short wheelbase would make the handling quite terrible. Slippery road, heavy crosswind, and I bet it's the trailer that chooses the direction of travel.

It looks like on the Strick that they move as one unit, so you basically have a giant FWD trailer.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Someone please make this a mod in american truck simulator, thanks in advance.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
1960 imperial.
Imagine this thing staring at you while you drive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

wesleywillis posted:

1960 imperial.

:sterv:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

1960 imperial.

What's the reason for the MS Paint pupils? Here's the original:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

But that interior is far more interesting and cool than virtually any modern interior.

Wrong thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's the reason for the MS Paint pupils? Here's the original:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

But that interior is far more interesting and cool than virtually any modern interior.

Wrong thread.

I put it up because it looks like a cartoon duck.

And kinda creepy.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: I assume if it had an airbag, that would be the jumpscare

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 16, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I need more information about this car.

Edit: Found some.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-creatures.html

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 17, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ummmm......What in the gently caress

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Of course it's at a Walmart.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He sure is proud of all the animals he killed

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Just imagine how nice it smells after the rain

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

STR posted:

Of course it's covered in confederate flags.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
put that in the OP and close the thread holy poo poo

i'd like to say this is the uniquely north american version of the mad max hellscape we will eventually die in

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Just imagine how nice it smells after the rain

:lol: that was my first thought, too

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Exotic truck. A Joe Exotic.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm going to allow it simply because of the raccoon lounging in the back with a bottle of liquor and a nice little hat.

Also yes of course confederate flags.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

tag yourself, I'm the parking break.

Ha, I never noticed that. I wonder if that's just on the reproduction sticker? I don't have an original.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Does that rely on a structural connection between the bumper and chassis or does it reach the chassis?

E:I know what my heart tells me.

Just hooks the bumper. Which is, at least, a huge piece of steel bolted with, in my case, 6 bolts to the chassis.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nope.

Another terrifying thing is letting it down. You use the wrench to flip a lever and hope it doesn't rip you arm off.

Or smack you in the face. That's legitimately the scariest part, beyond the whole "standing on one leg" aspect.

tuo posted:

I really, REALLY like what BMW did in the 90s with the two jack ports on each side (covered by a small plastic cap). Even if you had to change a wheel on the road, it was piss easy, and actually really sturdy. Also made working on them in the garage very easy. Did other manufacturers use a similar system?

My '78? FIAT 128 sedan had that. Jack had a fold out arm that slid into one of four receptacles on the chassis.
All the GMs I've had (none newer than '81) other than our 2000 Astro van have had a bumper jack. Everything else has had a scissor jack, starting with my '79 RX-7.
The Cutlass actually now has a scissor jack salvaged from a late-80's - early '90s Suburban. It's big and heavy enough to deal with a 2-ton refugee from the '70s.

Saukkis posted:

Why would a car have a bumber jack like that if they aren't even safe or any good? They look so complicated, big and heavy compared to other usual models. Say what you want about those lovely scissor jacks, but I have never failed to do the biannual tire swap with one of those and never had any issue. For years I've been using a cheap floor jack but it has started leaking so I have to jack the car higher several times during a swap, never had such problems with scissor. And a scissor jack also works fine on gravel, with the floor jack I needed planks for it to roll on during the lifting.

To be fair, I have had a scissor jack fail and scare the ever living piss out of me. The nut block stripped and suddenly gave way. Thankfully while still jacking, so nothing underneath, and tire still on. That was a factory Toyota jack on my wife's (then girlfriend) '78 Celica.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I went out to change a tire on a customer's car waaaaay back when I was an apprentice. Mazda MPV minivan, the old rear wheel drive ones, and it was parked on a bit of a slope. The scissor jack just folded as I was getting it off the ground. Her kids that were dutifully waiting on the footpath to get back in the car learned some new words that day. I grabbed the bottle jack out of the work ute to finish it, and we got her back to base where we gave her a new jack.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I grabbed the bottle of jack out of the work ute to finish it

Is what I read at first.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Memento posted:

I went out to change a tire on a customer's car waaaaay back when I was an apprentice. Mazda MPV minivan, the old rear wheel drive ones, and it was parked on a bit of a slope. The scissor jack just folded as I was getting it off the ground. Her kids that were dutifully waiting on the footpath to get back in the car learned some new words that day. I grabbed the bottle jack out of the work ute to finish it, and we got her back to base where we gave her a new jack.

I'm sure they already knew "oval office".

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://twitter.com/i/status/1251086726447140864

So Petter Solber is practicing some sim rally game, and says he likes chase-cam view, and the sim nerds come out of the woodwork telling him how to play the game. If Petter needs the chase cam view to get the same level of feedback he's used to having while ACTUALLY WINNING WORLD RALLY CUP RACES, then I think that's what's gonna work for him.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I never used chase cam because it made the games seem slow and some driving games need all the help they can get. :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He uses chase cam to see the tail come out since he can't feel it.

loving brilliant.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I gave iracing a shot (~50hr) in VR with Fanatec stuff. The VR helped because you get the micro-rotation of the car under your gimballed head, but you still can't feel the weight transfer of the car or what the tires are doing with respect to the slip-grip or silence in slide. Just didn't work out for me enjoyment wise, meh.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 18, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its like watching a rollercoaster ride rather then being in one.
Those shift in momentum, the suspension dive, the feedbavk from the brakes

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A few years ago at Dreamhack, one of the peripheral makers had a booth with various VR games and a leaderboard -- that you could ultimately use to win points to buy/win a graphics card, keyboards, etc.

They had a really cool multi-axis cockpit and wheel setup to go along with it. It was a very strange experience, because you had the swaying and rocking that sort of helped you feel the weight shift of the car, but something was missing with respect to feedback in the steering wheel or elsewhere. I was able to crack into the top ten, but the guys that were in the top 3 literally only stood in line all day to play this game over and over, and I didn't want to wait 45+ minutes per turn.

If i had the space and money I would absolutely build a driving/flight sim like that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I really wanted to get into racing sims so I got a steering wheel, pedals, and shifter and it didn't do it for me. I though I just needed a better display setup so I set everything up with a big screen right in front of me and no. I got a VR headset and thought 'OK, this time it's totally going to work' and still nope. Without being able to actually feel what the car is doing I might as well just have a map with rpm, gear, and speed overlayed on top since I'm just driving by numbers anyway. Maybe one of those full motion racing sim setups would do it but I just don't care enough to spend that much money.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Galler posted:

Maybe one of those full motion racing sim setups would do it but I just don't care enough to spend that much money.

I tried one at a buddy's house - great fun to gently caress around with, but still missing too much feedback compared to the real thing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I remember how impressed I was that Need For Speed had a dashboard view and body roll, and I've been hooked ever since. I'll play and obsess any decent driving game.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I wish I had my 360 at my house so I could play Midnight Club 3, a game in which drafting replenishes your turbo button and muscle cars let out an engine roar that pushes the other cars off the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Uthor posted:

I wish I had my 360 at my house so I could play Midnight Club 3, a game in which drafting replenishes your turbo button and muscle cars let out an engine roar that pushes the other cars off the road.

I highly enjoyed Burnout 3 Revenge where you smash your car into others to run them off the road. Also Ridge Racer 6 where you can reverse 360 drift round corners.

Realistic simulation racing is not my bag. :v: