Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The iPod Touch is for business use cases, consumers are not supposed to actually buy them!

If that were the case they would've called it the iPod Professional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some museums I've gone to use the ipod for audio tours

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Aren’t there rumors that there will be small versions of the new-style home button-free iPhones?

i've not heard that, though i don't really stay especially current on rumors. not entirely sure what the point of that would be, they already have three sizes of 18:9 iphones so i feel like one of those would've been smaller if that's the way they wanted to go. the xr/11 seem to be selling fine afaik so i'm not sure if there's a massive benefit on apple's end to reengineer what they're already selling.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

J-Ro posted:

As ex-5C and current SE 1st gen (that's on it's way out) owner, that SE2 product red model is exactly what I wanted so I'd say they're reaching their target with this.

It really is perfect. Cameras have been Good Enough for my use cases of FaceTimeing with my niece or posting a picture of my stupid meal to social media for a decade, and I have tiny baby hands so I still miss my iPhone 5S. Plus the government will have to get the dimensions of my face through one of their own goddamn cameras :tinfoil:

Oh god, I've become the mother-in-law who this is a perfect model for...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FCKGW posted:

The iPod Touch is for business use cases, consumers are not supposed to actually buy them!

The cheapest way to give a person a managed VOIP number for a newly minted WFM environment who we cannot have use their personal cell for legal reasons.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Xfinity mobile is offering $200 off the SE with new lines that port and pay for the device over 24 months, bringing the price down to $8.33/month.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
iPod touch gets used in certain education contexts, often similar to how iPads are deployed (often SpEd or as a support tool)- but with the obvious size/portability difference. Some schools use them for language learning/testing the way cassettes used to be used.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

back in ~2013 i was working for a community college and they sent me to some satellite campus i didn’t usually go to to help them set up some ipod touches as classroom clickers. turns out the ipods were first-generation models that had been bought like five years prior and never used, and the clicker software required a newer version of iOS than they could run :thumbsup: great use of like $10,000

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know if portrait mode on the SE works on pets like with the 11 series? I’ve seen some news sites say no but I can’t find anything on Apple’s own site that says one way or another.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know if portrait mode on the SE works on pets like with the 11 series? I’ve seen some news sites say no but I can’t find anything on Apple’s own site that says one way or another.
Non-furry folks only, sorry.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to curate an Apple Music radio station and not your whole library?

When I make say, an AC/DC radio station, it plays a bunch of stuff that I may like in general, but don't want played in that specific radio station. My only options are Love and Suggest Less Like This. When choosing the latter, it just pops up and says it'll suggest less like this in the For You tab. That's not what I want and I assume it's just Apple Music curation being lovely. Conversely, if I have a song that's Loved, but I don't want it in that station, I have to change that song's status to Unloved or whatever. Annoying.

Also, outside of the first 5 minutes the radio station exists, it doesn't ever play any loving AC/DC anymore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I saw that. I’m wondering where they got that information though since there’s zero on Apple’s website that I could find.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

based on the amount of effort that went into making the last couple of versions of ios usable on 4" displays, my guess is that apple cannot wait to stop supporting them

You mean unusable right?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a way to curate an Apple Music radio station and not your whole library?

When I make say, an AC/DC radio station, it plays a bunch of stuff that I may like in general, but don't want played in that specific radio station. My only options are Love and Suggest Less Like This. When choosing the latter, it just pops up and says it'll suggest less like this in the For You tab. That's not what I want and I assume it's just Apple Music curation being lovely. Conversely, if I have a song that's Loved, but I don't want it in that station, I have to change that song's status to Unloved or whatever. Annoying.

Also, outside of the first 5 minutes the radio station exists, it doesn't ever play any loving AC/DC anymore.

no you used to be able to do that but they took it away a year or two ago

Weedle
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

You mean unusable right?

i mean they didn't put any effort into making it usable

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any decent deals on 11 Pros anywhere? Thinking I might as well go all the way and grab one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any decent deals on 11 Pros anywhere? Thinking I might as well go all the way and grab one.

What country / carrier do you have ?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SeANMcBAY posted:

I saw that. I’m wondering where they got that information though since there’s zero on Apple’s website that I could find.

It was the same way for the XR too, it uses ML for a process called image segmentation for portrait mode, instead of actual depth wise data taken from multiple cameras.

There’s no technical reason they couldn’t add pets to the image segmentation model, but they still want you to buy the more expensive phones, so, y’know, there’s that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the camera app Halide can apply portrait effects to non-human subjects on the XR. it can be a little fiddly but it works

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart is selling the new iPhone SE on Verizon and ATT for $199 via 24 or 30 monthly payments for upgrade eligible lines (not new lines).
This is NOT via "bill credits", it's just a straight $8 or $6 per month for the term of the device payment. This also means that you CAN pay off the phone early and not be dinged for it. I did a similar thing when I bought my XR from Walmart last year for a discounted price then paid it off and switched carriers 3 months later.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Apple-iPhone-SE-2020-64GB-Black-Upgrade-Only/824022839?selected=true

Phones are going in and out of stock so if they don't have the one you want try refreshing later.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friend just got tricked to both:

1. Sell her 7 Plus off for next to nothing because it had a mic bug from a software update that apparently is known, but they told her couldn’t be repaired

2. Buy an 8 Plus for retail price the day after the handset became obsolete.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EL BROMANCE posted:

1. Sell her 7 Plus off for next to nothing because it had a mic bug from a software update that apparently is known, but they told her couldn’t be repaired

Number 1’s not a bug, it’s the audio IC in the phone dying and failing a self check when the phone updates.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interesting, so it’s essentially something that ‘works’ but is below tolerance levels during an install? Kinda crummy still.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Duckman2008 posted:

What country / carrier do you have ?

Sorry, T-Mobile in the US.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Was this at an Apple store?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Interesting, so it’s essentially something that ‘works’ but is below tolerance levels during an install? Kinda crummy still.

Eh, not really, it goes into a deeper fail mode after an update (disables the speakerphone button, for example) once the phone realizes it's having issues, but before that it'll be anywhere from intermittently glitchy to totally failed. I think the old Wifi failure on the 4 series was the same deal - wifi wouldn't work right, then eventually the phone would just gray out the switch for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Proteus Jones posted:

Was this at an Apple store?

No, all Apple stores are currently closed. Kinda sucks to have to rely on 3rd parties when your stuff breaks during these kinds of things.

TVs Ian posted:

Eh, not really, it goes into a deeper fail mode after an update (disables the speakerphone button, for example) once the phone realizes it's having issues, but before that it'll be anywhere from intermittently glitchy to totally failed. I think the old Wifi failure on the 4 series was the same deal - wifi wouldn't work right, then eventually the phone would just gray out the switch for it.

I think I remember the WiFi one being reported about. It’s a shame it doesn’t give you a warning on the phone that poo poo is failing rather than full on disabling. Like, she could’ve survived a few weeks of iffy mic issues I’m sure.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I preordered an SE and wanted to get an Apple leather case for it. I know there are a lot of fakes of everything on ebay, but is it likely that well rated sellers who sell it new in box are actually selling old genuine stock? It's :20bux: cheaper on ebay, but I don't want to get some fake that will flake apart in a year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

the camera app Halide can apply portrait effects to non-human subjects on the XR. it can be a little fiddly but it works

Good to know, I’ll grab that then if the SE doesn’t let me take portraits of my beautiful cats.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Inept posted:

I preordered an SE and wanted to get an Apple leather case for it. I know there are a lot of fakes of everything on ebay, but is it likely that well rated sellers who sell it new in box are actually selling old genuine stock? It's :20bux: cheaper on ebay, but I don't want to get some fake that will flake apart in a year.

Get one of the Apple official cases on amazon for the 7-8. I got a saddle brown one coming for $37, and I haven’t even ordered the phone yet lol

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Dig deeper in there, there is 100% something stuck

There is 100% not something stuck in there. I can see to the bottom and it's flat black. I'm using a 1.4mm screwdriver and it's not doing anything but possibly scratching that flat black.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, and lately the lightning port is loose. I've already tried cleaning it out with a toothpick/toothbrush/compressed air, and nothing came out (I keep it in a case, so it's pretty clean anyway.) There is nothing in the port blocking it.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

If you're 100% sure nothing's in there, then either the retainer clips got damaged, the pins are bent out of place, or the plastic somehow got warped or worn. Try another cable if you've only tried one, and if it's still loose the only option is replacement.

But usually that means there's still a little ball of lint stuck in a corner or along the edge where it's not really visible, it may still be cleanable. I'll usually use a bit of alcohol and a toothbrush to loosen up whatever's in there, and an Xacto and fine point tweezer to scrape and scoop it out. If you push the cable in, and it feels like it's meeting resistance on one side but not the other, that's probably where your gunk is.

Replacing the port is kind of a pain in the rear end on that phone because you have to dismantle 90% of it (the cable runs under the logic board, unlike the previous models), but at least there's no soldering like other phones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, Verizon tech support is (866) 892-7957 . At least it was, try that first and if that doesn’t work just dial 611 from your cell.

I depend on WiFi calling at my house, it should just prompt you to turn on WiFi calling; you input your address, save, and then it starts working. Sometimes you have to re check it once to make sure it’s on.

Make sure VOLTE is set to on.

Once it works on the phone, it’ll work on other devices like iPad and Mac when nearby. You would check the “calls on other devices” to make sure setting.

Also, to check: consumer or business account ? Shouldn’t really matter either way, but good to check. I assumed consumer.

From what you described , there’s likely a provisioning issue somewhere with your WiFi calling, so care May have to manually add the code.

Reprovisioning the wifi calling didn't work, or at least it didn't cause the "calls on other devices" setting to actually do anything. Wifi calling on the device itself was always good this whole time.

I found someone on the Apple support forum saying they had this same problem, and ultimately a factory reset (without applying a backup) fixed it for them. I had nothing else to do yesterday morning so I thought I'd just take a gamble on a reset, and sure enough that did it.

Now that Messages can encrypt and sync to iCloud it's a lot less disruptive to do a factory reset.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

There is 100% not something stuck in there. I can see to the bottom and it's flat black. I'm using a 1.4mm screwdriver and it's not doing anything but possibly scratching that flat black.

TVs Ian posted:

If you're 100% sure nothing's in there, then either the retainer clips got damaged, the pins are bent out of place, or the plastic somehow got warped or worn. Try another cable if you've only tried one, and if it's still loose the only option is replacement.

But usually that means there's still a little ball of lint stuck in a corner or along the edge where it's not really visible, it may still be cleanable. I'll usually use a bit of alcohol and a toothbrush to loosen up whatever's in there, and an Xacto and fine point tweezer to scrape and scoop it out. If you push the cable in, and it feels like it's meeting resistance on one side but not the other, that's probably where your gunk is.

Replacing the port is kind of a pain in the rear end on that phone because you have to dismantle 90% of it (the cable runs under the logic board, unlike the previous models), but at least there's no soldering like other phones.

There's retainer clips to the side and they usually have dirt just caked in there. A high-power precise light and a wooden toothpick were my tools last time that problem appeared.

However the pins bend not only out of place, but also in, and they're perfectly fixable without a replacement.

You just make a pin bending tool out of a very small safety pin, turn off the device and try to coax them out by dragging onto the sides gently and alternating as soon as you make any progress (otherwise you probably will bend them sideways). You probably need a loupe to see what you're doing if you've caught any of the old.

The pins have a tendency to bend in if a lightning cable has any force applied to it when it's plugged in, like it being in your pocket while charging.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Inept posted:

Look for an ebay vendor that ships from the US and has a real picture of the actual item they're selling in its packaging instead of just a stock image from Apple's website.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Always reverse image search listing photos

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

The pins have a tendency to bend in if a lightning cable has any force applied to it when it's plugged in, like it being in your pocket while charging.

??????

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah, people plug their phones into belt-fastened external batteries while they walk around. It is as stupid as it sounds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I use mine as a GPS on my bike so I have it plugged into a USB power bank under my jacket. Just one example of something maybe less dumb maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I use mine as a GPS on my bike so I have it plugged into a USB power bank under my jacket. Just one example of something maybe less dumb maybe?

That is very reasonable and safe of you.