Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

Breath of the Wild, duh. You activate 4 giant mechs :v:

Now I'm even more disappointed that those literally do nothing except activate easy mode after you finish em up :sigh:

Like, four mecha warriors plus Link on an ancient lasercycle ride up, just as Hyrule Castle itself rises up as a giant robot piloted by Ganon, now that's an ending

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

A lot of people were hoping they do some kind of director's cut with the Black Eagles route to make it more complete at the end – it's 18 vs 21/22 chapters. I never thought it was a realistic idea, but it's a tempting thought.

Even if they didn't want to do something to change the regular game, they could have done a prologue with Seiros. They could have done a weird alternate universe where Byleth is the bad guy. They could have done some kind of wacky excursion where the house leaders have to team up – I thought this was going to be how the real DLC is, but they barely interact with each other. If they wanted to go for fan service, they could have someone knock over a bookcase and Marth and Lucina come out of a textbook or something.

I just don't think the DLC added anything, storywise. We get to learn Byleth's mom had a creepy stalker? and Rhea kept her body around?????It just felt like a side story for the sake of a side story, and if they wanted to do that I'd prefer to use the existing characters instead of new ones who have like 6 supports.

I haven't actually played the game, so I have no idea what plotlines were in it that could've been followed up on and genuinely didn't know what could've been added. These sound like pretty alright ideas!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now I'm even more disappointed that those literally do nothing except activate easy mode after you finish em up :sigh:

Like, four mecha warriors plus Link on an ancient lasercycle ride up, just as Hyrule Castle itself rises up as a giant robot piloted by Ganon, now that's an ending

Hell, Sonic Unleashed managed that with the Chaos Emerald Temples forming a giant voltron to fight Dark Gaia. It was cool, although unfortunately not fun to play.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whoever came up with the food system changes in Cataclysm needs a slap on the mouth. Here is how the past 2 days have been for my character:

Eat several bowls of oatmeal mixed with cranberries, a bag of beef jerky and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Chased down by a can of sprite, coke and yoohoo. A quarter of a box of poptarts is for breakfast.

Walk to truck.

Drive truck to a place

Tell my 2 followers to deconstruct a bunch of barbed wire fencing and carry everything to the trunk

Read a book while they do it

Get hungry and eat an MRE, worth about 1.3k calories.

Read a book for half an hour

Get very hungry again and eat yet another MRE.

Read a book for an hour

Hit very hungry AGAIN

Say gently caress it, starve

Drive home and wolf down a full box of poptarts, a few chocolate bars and a can of ravioli

Wake up being told I'm getting dangerously thin and to eat more rich food.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sounds like your character has the tapeworm debuff

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s no sneak button in the ps4 Spider-Man game and it really bothers me. It is legitimately the most annoying thing I’ve had to deal with in the last 3 months.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was cool with one sewer level in the FFVII remake, but having to go through it twice is taking the piss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

There’s no sneak button in the ps4 Spider-Man game and it really bothers me. It is legitimately the most annoying thing I’ve had to deal with in the last 3 months.

Aside from animating his walk differently what do you want the sneak button to actually do? The stealth in the game is already so forgiving. You can leap and flip behind a guy and take him down without him hearing you. The enemies are also half-blind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

Aside from animating his walk differently what do you want the sneak button to actually do?

Let you sneak past the non-spiderman sequences, imo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Let you sneak past the non-spiderman sequences, imo

They were fine the first time but they are kind of annoying on any other playthroughs. Although I still do think that Rhino stealth section as Miles is pretty awesome.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

They were fine the first time but they are kind of annoying on any other playthroughs. Although I still do think that Rhino stealth section as Miles is pretty awesome.

My very first post in this thread was complaining about those, and I have not changed my mind :unsmith:

I think bits of em are ok, but they got old for me even in the first run after repeatedly screwing up some sequences and having to play the same scripted waiting game over and over.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

My very first post in this thread was complaining about those, and I have not changed my mind :unsmith:

I think bits of em are ok, but they got old for me even in the first run after repeatedly screwing up some sequences and having to play the same scripted waiting game over and over.

Outright shameful that the guy with the MGS avatar has trouble with the baby's first stealth sections in Spider-Man.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Outright shameful that the guy with the MGS avatar has trouble with the baby's first stealth sections in Spider-Man.

I can be bad at multiple stealth games :colbert:

More seriously it's the "do this exact prescripted sequence in the exact way and timing we intended" jammed into a completely different game style that I dislike

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

Huh. If that's true you have your entire life well under control.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
No Man's Sky

Just played this for the first time and gah so many things drag it down.

To start with it starts in exclusive mode at 1920x1080. Games should either start windowed or should start at whatever resolution your main display is set to by default. Don't change my system's resolution it has a good chance of shuffling all my open windows around. Granted Windows is a lot better about recovering window positions when returning from an exclusive mode app than it used to be but it still isn't perfect and there's just no reason to not start windowed or query the current resolution.

Then it doesn't let you into any options menus until after you've started a new game and gone through the opening sequence which was annoyingly loud cuz I couldn't get to the audio menu, choppy because I couldn't tweak the graphics settings, and at the wrong resolution. loving annoying. Any and all games should allow you to get to the config menus right away.

On the less technical nitpicky perspective:

The game starts you off on a planet with environmental hazards, either an acid storm or a frozen wasteland from my four tests though possibly others as well. On a subsequent playthrough that would be fine but on the first play through the amount of time you have to figure out how to repair your scanner, find some Na, and charge your environmental protection is miniscule, about 2 mins I think, most of which will likely be spent just figuring out the UI and realizing that opening your inventory doesn't pause the game. Especially since your screen starts covering over with ice/acid effects and flashing and poo poo. I don't think I've ever died in a game faster than I did in this. Considering there's nothing at all challenging in the game after this sequence it's really unrepresentative of the game as a whole and just generally a terrible start. All it really needs to do is tell you to hop into your ship to let your environmental protection suit recharge. Or just start you in the ship to begin with as you'd probably figure it out from that.

The predators in the game are ludicrously aggressive. Just holy gently caress get anywhere near them and they charge you constantly. They're not actually dangerous at all you, can kill them super quickly, and they don't do a particularly worrying amount of damage so it's just annoying. It was probably worse than it should have been because they were super common on the 2nd planet I went to which is also the one the tutorial/main quest directs you to build a base on so it's the one I spent the most time exploring. I got real sick of killing those dumb animals. Also they can attack you through solid walls/terrain they happen to be on the opposite side of. It's the only truly dangerous thing about them.

The sentinels suck. They're just a bad idea. Or at least a bad idea to be as common as they are, they'd be ok if they were only on like 1 in 5 planets or something. They just make you have to wait. Oh I want that resource but when I started mining it a sentinel came over to observe me. So now I can either leave and try to find it elsewhere, wait for the sentinel to leave so I can mine it here, or kill the sentinel. Except that last option, the one that might've been the fun option, doesn't work because killing the sentinel just makes two more come attack you, and if you kill them even more come, I don't know if you can ever get to the point where they stop as I didn't keep bothering at that point. So they just make you either not do something you want to do or wait for god knows how long until they leave.

Flying sucks. Let me look in a direction without turning in that direction damnit. I want to explore the planet by flying over it looking around for things to investigate but between the hilariously small view distance for structures/points of interest and the inability to look down while flying without also turning the ship directly into the ground it was rarely ever actually rewarding to try this. Not helped by the scanner thing doing as far as I can tell nothing at all when I'm in a ship. It sure does make a glowy flash highlight the terrain but doesn't tell me what the resource I'm looking at is, doesn't tell me whether anything nearby is worthwhile, doesn't do anything useful. It's even more annoying in space where it cant tell me what the asteroids are made of so it's just a crap shoot when I'm looking for, say, gold. If the gold, tritium, and silver asteroids are visibly different I couldn't tell, and goddamn do I not need any more tritium or silver.

But the worst is when I was just interacting with my base computer. It gave me a new recipe from a quest and then it went back to the game except I could no longer rotate my camera, I could walk but not turn the camera or jump or anything and then bam black screen with an Asimov quote then the windows "this software might not be responding" thingy for a few seconds then I was in the main menu and my 25hour save game was gone. Good riddance I guess. The game was occasionally fun but also constantly frustrating.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can be bad at multiple stealth games :colbert:

More seriously it's the "do this exact prescripted sequence in the exact way and timing we intended" jammed into a completely different game style that I dislike

It's a regular problem with stealth sections, honestly. Full stealth games usually have some leeway or ways to respond if you get caught, but if a non-stealth game has a stealth section it's usually a very binary pass/fail system.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Spek posted:

No Man's Sky

Have you tried stop playing it? Because god drat that was an impressive rant list of "little" things

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

BiggerBoat posted:

Have you tried stop playing it? Because god drat that was an impressive rant list of "little" things

That is rather the point of the thread, but yeah, I stopped playing it after it deleted my save yesterday and don't plan to restart any time soon.

I could keep going on if you'd like though. I hadn't gotten into how awful the inventory management is (why do we need 3 forms of iron and why are none of them called iron when they apparently were just called iron in earlier versions‽)

The game can softlock when you're talking to merchants if you try to get through the conversation too fast. It just freezes you like you're still in the conversation but the conversation window is gone and there's no way out of it short of reloading your last save.

Why does every planet of any given biome have the same plants and animals but they get new names so you can scan them again? Ether let me keep my existing scans or actually make the lifeforms visually different.

Why does every planet and moon and space station have exactly the same gravity? Giving them different gravity levels would have been a trivial way to make them feel more varied.

Why does the achievement pop up need to block all inputs for 15 seconds instead of just being a little thing in the corner like every other game does it? Sure they have a "hold tab to dismiss" thing but that takes almost as long to work as just waiting it out. On that note why the everloving gently caress does interacting with everything in the UI require I hold 'e', or the mouse button, for a couple seconds instead of just letting me press it like a sanely designed game?

I'm sure I could go on but I'd need to boot up the game again and start taking notes and I'm not sure that's worth it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love No Man's Sky, but I wish there was a way to turn off your suit AI voice without turning off the in game sound.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm still enjoying Hyrule Warriors but some of the levels can be kind of annoying. I wasn't a fan of the first Twilight map because playing Twilight Zone whackamole trying to get Midna's power down wasn't much fun, I wound up retaking the same strongholds over and over again.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Been playing Reciever 2 and it kinda sucks. Not the basic gameplay, that's fine but stuff like not being able to rebind some keys like jump or the fact that every time you die or quit the ame you have to restart on the level before the one you died/quit at. So any session either ends in me losing progress, or just making it back to where was before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The number of transition cutscenes for basic stuff on Death Stranding is kind of insane. Whenever you are at a facility the game basically becomes a series of menu options and there are so many of these little animations and scenes to skip through. If you recycle something, go to your private room, use the garage, make a delivery, take an order, etc. there's something you have to skip through before you can do the next thing.

And for a game all about managing weight, it sure doesn't like to tell you how much weight things can hold. It's trial and error.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lobok posted:

And for a game all about managing weight, it sure doesn't like to tell you how much weight things can hold. It's trial and error.

If you're talking about vehicles there are weight indicators on the vehicles themselves.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I've started playing Final Fantasy VIII for the first time! Oh god it has the worst tutorials. And the worst part is that I know exactly how it happens, because as someone who writes documentation I know all too well the well-intentioned but misguided thought process that leads to this end result, because I have to stamp it out every month or two.

The way it explains junctioning and GFs* is a perfect example of people who knew the thing they've implemented needed an explanation, but were too close to it to realize what part specifically needed to be explained. So you get a wealth of text boxes outlining what every option in a menu does, but no actual context on why any of it's important or useful, and you probably need to review it a couple times because while they do give actually useful information, they embed it in a single text box about 70% of the way through.

*Also they drop 'GF' all the goddamn time without explaining what it means. That is a basic sin of writing, both informational and otherwise, but I don't care, because it makes so much of the dialog about them hilarious.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Apr 19, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Necrothatcher posted:

If you're talking about vehicles there are weight indicators on the vehicles themselves.

Thank you, but the visual indicators are only on some vehicles, and that's still trial and error. The indicators also don't mean anything when trying to load onto a vehicle from a menu. Same goes for floating carriers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Thank you, but the visual indicators are only on some vehicles, and that's still trial and error. The indicators also don't mean anything when trying to load onto a vehicle from a menu. Same goes for floating carriers.

Vehicles aren't limited by weight, only by space, that's why they don't give you a number. Trucks hold 28 XL slots, bikes hold six medium slots (or two XL). On bikes you can just straight-up see how much room they have on the sides. On trucks you can tell how close you are not just by the lights on the back, but the glowing image of the cargo inside the thing in the menu. Closer to the back = closer to the limit. Two XL containers' worth of space = one light on the back of the truck.

For floating carriers it is a bit of a bummer you can't see their current weight, but their max is static (300 for lvl 1, 600 for lvl 2) so at least you can fudge it a bit with some quick maths. They hold a maximum of 6 XL containers.

edit:

And if you're having trouble seeing if you will have physical space while taking on orders, the game tells you in the bottom right corner how many boxes you're accepting:

The relevant numbers will be red if you don't have enough physical room for them.

It would be nice if the game told you these things but for some reason it doesn't, even with all the tutorials they feed you at the start.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Apr 19, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Castlevania Lord's of Shadow has a combat system where you can enable light magic to heal yourself in combat which is cool because I'm bad at games like this

You refill your magic by getting a long strand of combos without getting hit. If you get hit it starts over and guess what you get no magic.

So when you're getting the poo poo kicked out of you by a boss there's nothing to do except beat your head against a wall

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Vehicles aren't limited by weight, only by space, that's why they don't give you a number. Trucks hold 28 XL slots, bikes hold six medium slots (or two XL). On bikes you can just straight-up see how much room they have on the sides. On trucks you can tell how close you are not just by the lights on the back, but the glowing image of the cargo inside the thing in the menu. Closer to the back = closer to the limit. Two XL containers' worth of space = one light on the back of the truck.

For floating carriers it is a bit of a bummer you can't see their current weight, but their max is static (300 for lvl 1, 600 for lvl 2) so at least you can fudge it a bit with some quick maths. They hold a maximum of 6 XL containers.

edit:

And if you're having trouble seeing if you will have physical space while taking on orders, the game tells you in the bottom right corner how many boxes you're accepting:

The relevant numbers will be red if you don't have enough physical room for them.

It would be nice if the game told you these things but for some reason it doesn't, even with all the tutorials they feed you at the start.

Thanks for the info. I have seen people say elsewhere how it's less about weight and more about space but finding and remembering this stuff is the trick. I've used the Level 1 floating container enough times that I know it can do 300 but would anyone have complained if all this stuff was there for the player to see easily? Like I should just print out your post and stick it to my TV.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Castlevania Lord's of Shadow has a combat system where you can enable light magic to heal yourself in combat which is cool because I'm bad at games like this

You refill your magic by getting a long strand of combos without getting hit. If you get hit it starts over and guess what you get no magic.

So when you're getting the poo poo kicked out of you by a boss there's nothing to do except beat your head against a wall

Yeah this sort of thing is the exact opposite of what it should be. I'm reminded of Enter the Gungeon, where the only way to get more health is to defeat a boss without taking damage. Pointless for the players who need it most!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Thanks for the info. I have seen people say elsewhere how it's less about weight and more about space but finding and remembering this stuff is the trick. I've used the Level 1 floating container enough times that I know it can do 300 but would anyone have complained if all this stuff was there for the player to see easily? Like I should just print out your post and stick it to my TV.

Yeah it stinks because there are already systems in place to show you, for example, a carrier's max weight. The game just doesn't use them outside of single niche cases. If you physically pick up a box and put it on one with l2/r2, it'll give you an in-world popup showing its current/max weight. But arranging them in the menu for some reason doesn't show these numbers anywhere.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Nostradingus posted:

I'm reminded of Enter the Gungeon, where the only way to get more health is to defeat a boss without taking damage. Pointless for the players who need it most!
There's also a dozen or so items that give you more health, but why would you want to find them when you could find more cool guns?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Red Dead Redemption 2: *stranger mission cutscene features a microcephalic man" :stare: ooookay. Did not expect that. Well I'm sure Rockstar will handle it with their usual grace and dignity.

*mission consists of beating up the microcephalic man while he goes I HAVE AN OUCHIE" yep, as expected

Just gonna let the rest of that mission thread quietly fall by the wayside I think

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I enjoy the brothers in arms games because it's fun to be able to tell teammates where to go in a game, but it's drat frustrating watching them take cover on the wrong side of a wall and get shot up. On larger pieces it's fine because all three of the squad can take cover, but if there's a few small pieces guys will run out into fire and back again.

Tanks are pretty unfun in the game as well, whether they're on your side or the germans.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Spek posted:

That is rather the point of the thread, but yeah, I stopped playing it after it deleted my save yesterday and don't plan to restart any time soon.

I could keep going on if you'd like though.

I was just loving with you since it's little things dragging poo poo down and your post(s) read like there's not a single thing about NMS that you like. I just found it funny that a thread about minor annoying issues was 7 paragraphs long and read like you were being sentenced to hell playing this game.

I think the most interesting part of this thread has been seeing how often really top tier blockbuster games keep being mentioned - BOTW, Witcher 3, RDR2, Mass Effect, MGS5, etc. Every one of the most popular games seems to have some grating, annoying el and inexcusable element to them that find a way to be annoying and keep a game from achieving perfection.

Sounds to me like you hate everything about NMS with a fiery passion. I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat. Sometimes it just comes naturally.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Nostradingus posted:

Yeah this sort of thing is the exact opposite of what it should be. I'm reminded of Enter the Gungeon, where the only way to get more health is to defeat a boss without taking damage. Pointless for the players who need it most!

While there are other ways to get health, I find the game way to stingy on dropping anything. I can't count the amount of times I've cleared floors and all that dropped was one health piece. Sure, I can buy a key, but why don't they drop more often? The point of the game is how items react with each other and seeing all the crazy guns, don't gatekeep people getting the guns so much.

Mothergunship is the exact same way. The frustration just outweighs the fun.

Risk of Rain 2 does it much better, though it gets a bit more of a pass as it's still in EA.

VVV I literally just took it off my computer yesterday after another few days of trying to get back into it. I get other people like it, they just have more patience than I do for that sort of thing. I just wish more games would go for fun first.

ScentOfAnOtaku has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Apr 19, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

While there are other ways to get health, I find the game way to stingy on dropping anything. I can't count the amount of times I've cleared floors and all that dropped was one health piece. Sure, I can buy a key, but why don't they drop more often? The point of the game is how items react with each other and seeing all the crazy guns, don't gatekeep people getting the guns so much.

Mothergunship is the exact same way. The frustration just outweighs the fun.

Risk of Rain 2 does it much better, though it gets a bit more of a pass as it's still in EA.

Have you played Gungeon recently? And by recently I mean in like the last year or so. Because at launch it was so loving stingy it put me right off the game, but they updated it a few times, and they kept making it better about dropping keys and ammo. By the time the last update dropped I personally felt the drop rate for keys was about right. Now, it should have been balanced like that from the start, no doubt, but I will give them full credit for fixing the issue (at least as far as I'm concerned) and all the extra free poo poo they added into the game.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ilmucche posted:

I enjoy the brothers in arms games because it's fun to be able to tell teammates where to go in a game, but it's drat frustrating watching them take cover on the wrong side of a wall and get shot up. On larger pieces it's fine because all three of the squad can take cover, but if there's a few small pieces guys will run out into fire and back again.

Tanks are pretty unfun in the game as well, whether they're on your side or the germans.

The little thing dragging those games down is we never got the teased Battle of the Bulge game to finish it all up. :smith:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

fartknocker posted:

The little thing dragging those games down is we never got the teased Battle of the Bulge game to finish it all up. :smith:

It seems to fit into its own little genre alongside the excellent freedom fighters which I would love to be able to play again.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

BiggerBoat posted:

I was just loving with you since it's little things dragging poo poo down and your post(s) read like there's not a single thing about NMS that you like.

Yeah no worries I was just playing along. I don't hate NMS yet, I was just more disappointed than I thought I'd be. I'd been avoiding basically any information on the game for the past few years because it sounded like something I'd enjoy and after the disastrous launch I'd heard almost nothing but good things about the post launch development of the game and frequently seen it compared to Subnautica which was, imo, game of the decade and one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. So I had higher hopes than I probably should have had.

I also just have a habit of focusing on the negative in games. I don't think I've ever played a game that I couldn't come up with at least a few paragraphs worth of annoyances. I mean imo Super Metroid is the closest thing that exists to a perfect game and I could probably come up with 10 paragraphs of garbage about it if I tried. Just to start the opening cutscene is needlessly unskippable(discounting save game shenanigans that the speed runs use). That every boss except Botwoon, Ridley, and Mother Brain have ways of farming health/missiles makes those bosses feel out of place in the game. The physics for the grapple beam are some of the worst grappling/swinging mechanics I've ever experienced. That you can get a suit that makes you immune to lava but not one that makes you immune to acid is so obviously backwards that I would have assumed it was a translation error if it hadn't been consistent throughout the rest of the series after that. Every pickup needlessly pauses the game for 10 seconds to play the jingle when you could easily have played the jingle while letting the player go about their business(admittedly that's a problem in like 90% of games).

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the most interesting part of this thread has been seeing how often really top tier blockbuster games keep being mentioned - BOTW, Witcher 3, RDR2, Mass Effect, MGS5, etc. Every one of the most popular games seems to have some grating, annoying el and inexcusable element to them that find a way to be annoying and keep a game from achieving perfection.

It is an interesting aspect yeah. But I think a lot of that just comes down to so many people played those and we all have different tastes and design pet peeves so any game played by 50% of the gaming population is going to have a lot of things dragging it down to some proportion of them, and many of those same things will be actively appreciated or irrelevant to different proportions of them.

In my opinion for a game to come close to achieving perfection it needs to have a much narrower target audience than any big budget game is likely to have. And the narrower the target audience the closer to perfection the game is likely to get for at least some proportion of that audience. Something like Kerbal Space Program is probably a really good candidate for that. The target audience is incredibly narrow but those of us who like it generally really like it and have few complaints comparable to other games, especially if you're willing to mod away some of the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there was a Brothers in Arms game that got announced and had trailers but never actually came out.

For my own thing, hey, Crackdown 3. I'm all about representation in videogames but maybe don't make all your villains women and/or poc.