Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

just a quick refresher on the present disaster that is our governor

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/covid-ny-hospital-medicaid/

I guess it's no wonder why he loved the IDC so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

bed-stuy checking in, anyone had luck with the unemployment phone line? I think they have simply disconnected the phone line.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lando Kardashian posted:

bed-stuy checking in, anyone had luck with the unemployment phone line? I think they have simply disconnected the phone line.

I’ve spent an hour and a half trying to reach them every day for the last 4 days with no success

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

i got through yesterday with prompt #5 at the main menu. it must have been a 1 in a million chance someone picked up. I answered some questions but my web portal hasn't allowed to me to file a claim. i tried the phone again and I was unable to get in again.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

we were trying for weeks to get my gf’s account created. mine worked on the first try online but hers needed confirmation over the phone for whatever reason. about a thousand calls or more later she gets a message saying they’ll call her back to complete it. maybe four days later they called from a private number. I think they hired a ton more people who call from their own phones, then handwave you through. the nice lady said to wait a few days then start claiming. about five days later the site says she should be able to claim tomorrow.

it’s all a total shitshow but if she starts getting her checks too then we might not get forclosed on so 🤞🏼

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

managed to get through and get my direct deposit set up, finally getting some unemployment insurance feels real nice

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

managed to get through and get my direct deposit set up, finally getting some unemployment insurance feels real nice

did you get all of your owed UI right away?

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

I tried #5 at the main menu and somehow by the grace of Bob Ross got someone to pick up. Walked through a few basic question: when did you lose your job, what did you do etc.

I had to fax them a tax return and they informed me I am qualified for PUA not UI (I am self-employed/Independent contractor). A day later my website portal interface updated and I was able to claim this weeks benefits and setup my DD. Have not received funds yet. I was told they back dated me to mid-March. Will update how long it took to receive any money.

Anyway, its possible to get through but I honestly think I got a 1 in a million chance someone picked up.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Also interested in this question

e:added quote

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t get a payment for two weeks after claiming benefits, and when I did, it didn’t include the first week’s benefits. however, the next week I got my normal dispersement, plus the back pay, but weirdly had tax deducted again, taxing that first week’s funds twice. the next day, the difference was deposited.

someone, somewhere, is on top of the accounting, even if it takes a little while. I work with (or, I suppose, used to... ha) other people that experienced similar quirks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Neat!

https://twitter.com/jimmyvielkind/status/1252745541362102273?s=21

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

yeah my gf’s claim finally went through. goddamn that took a crazy amount of work.

now my main fear is that the enhanced ui runs out. we would be hosed.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I actually started “getting” my UI a couple weeks ago; the problem wasn’t my claim it was that they mailed me a debit card that never showed up, and all the dept of labor advice was that I need to talk to the card issuer (who shut down their offices for corona). Still no clue what happened to the card but at least they’re actually sending me the money directly now

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Anyone here work for City/State govt and have any news on how budget cuts are going to effect your agency?

I work for NYC in a division funded by bonds rather than revenue, so we're feeling slightly hopeful that most of us will keep our jobs. Word is they would offer early retirement to folks before laying off/furloughing younger employees.

That said, they're absolutely cutting all summer programs, including some seasonal workers. Unsure of what will happen to the "workfare" employees who handle so much maintenance and cleaning (and who have been on the frontlines these past six weeks as most of my office has been working from home.

We all know big cuts are here, and more are coming. How is this going to shake out at different levels?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Anyone here work for City/State govt and have any news on how budget cuts are going to effect your agency?

I work for NYC in a division funded by bonds rather than revenue, so we're feeling slightly hopeful that most of us will keep our jobs. Word is they would offer early retirement to folks before laying off/furloughing younger employees.

That said, they're absolutely cutting all summer programs, including some seasonal workers. Unsure of what will happen to the "workfare" employees who handle so much maintenance and cleaning (and who have been on the frontlines these past six weeks as most of my office has been working from home.

We all know big cuts are here, and more are coming. How is this going to shake out at different levels?

NYC Medicaid. We're getting absolutely slammed, I think that's just well known at this point, Cuomo seems to view destroying us as a core goal of his administration. Cuts are likely to hit end users more than workers. Difficult to guess at the downstream ramifications like hospital closures.

Have a friend at NYC Parks. They're getting a 120M budget cut, mostly on contract services (e.g. tree removal). They're going to lose 150 permanent positions and the POP program getting savaged, which makes me real mad.

For those not in the know, the POP program is a set of jobs given out to welfare recipients based on need, with the only qualifications being a physical fitness test, having a certain welfare status, and not having been banned from the program. 6 months, 35 hours a week, slightly above minimum wage, union membership. There's a parallel program for DSNY, but it's about half as big. I used to work employment, and of all the employment opportunities in NYC it's the only one that reliably hires people without high school. Of all the elements of the welfare system I've worked with, it's the most functional, and is deservedly popular among clients. My #1 "thing that DSS could do to improve the city" is expanding the program radically (making it permanent, among other things).

It's going to go from 11k to 0 this year.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Jesus Christ

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
But we definitely cannot raise taxes on the wealthy

Or expropriate their assets in real estate

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tulip posted:

NYC Medicaid. We're getting absolutely slammed, I think that's just well known at this point, Cuomo seems to view destroying us as a core goal of his administration. Cuts are likely to hit end users more than workers. Difficult to guess at the downstream ramifications like hospital closures.

Have a friend at NYC Parks. They're getting a 120M budget cut, mostly on contract services (e.g. tree removal). They're going to lose 150 permanent positions and the POP program getting savaged, which makes me real mad.

For those not in the know, the POP program is a set of jobs given out to welfare recipients based on need, with the only qualifications being a physical fitness test, having a certain welfare status, and not having been banned from the program. 6 months, 35 hours a week, slightly above minimum wage, union membership. There's a parallel program for DSNY, but it's about half as big. I used to work employment, and of all the employment opportunities in NYC it's the only one that reliably hires people without high school. Of all the elements of the welfare system I've worked with, it's the most functional, and is deservedly popular among clients. My #1 "thing that DSS could do to improve the city" is expanding the program radically (making it permanent, among other things).

It's going to go from 11k to 0 this year.

gently caress.

I'm also at DPR and hadn't heard these details. I assumed maintenance would be cut, but the POP program? Those folks do real work that will still need to be done, and the benefit to both the people in it and to the City can't be overstated. Some of my favorite people to work with are POP folks, and several have been hired to full time positions after their 6 month tour was over.

God drat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't get it. I know Cuomo is evil and all, but whenever I think about him turning down billions in fed money because he wanted to preserve Medicaid cuts (the billions hinged on him not cutting it) that my brain starts frying and zapping like a robot who's violated their prime directive.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

gently caress.

I'm also at DPR and hadn't heard these details. I assumed maintenance would be cut, but the POP program? Those folks do real work that will still need to be done, and the benefit to both the people in it and to the City can't be overstated. Some of my favorite people to work with are POP folks, and several have been hired to full time positions after their 6 month tour was over.

God drat.

I heard this like, as I was typing, so it's pretty fresh. My source is pretty reliable so I'd be surprised if it was total bullshit.

Main thing that has been coming down in DSS is that CA and SNAP are increasingly falling behind on their backlog, so there's some thinking about temp reassigning other staff to handle those cases.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

But we definitely cannot raise taxes on the wealthy

Or expropriate their assets in real estate

No see, we can't do anything that could scare them off. Also BTW they're all already relocating anyway to Delaware/the Dakotas now that they've figured out telecommuting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I don't get it. I know Cuomo is evil and all, but whenever I think about him turning down billions in fed money because he wanted to preserve Medicaid cuts (the billions hinged on him not cutting it) that my brain starts frying and zapping like a robot who's violated their prime directive.

He's basically a austerity republican under the surface especially how he worked for years with IDC quislings to block progressive legislation.

Also whining how the NY state was badly prepared for the crisis.

Hmmm I wonder who over the last few years advocated and approved the closing of neighborhood hospitals especially in lower income areas of NYC like Bronx/Queens.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I generally believe that people are, at worst, motivated by a desire for self-enrichment and self-aggrandizement. Cuomo's behavior only makes sense if it's motivated by a seething hatred for New Yorkers and a truly disciplined desire to see them suffer.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tulip posted:

I generally believe that people are, at worst, motivated by a desire for self-enrichment and self-aggrandizement. Cuomo's behavior only makes sense if it's motivated by a seething hatred for New Yorkers and a truly disciplined desire to see them suffer.

The way that I make sense of it is that he wants to run for president at some point and doesn't want to be attacked by deficit hawks for taking federal money for entitlement spending.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont buy it. Hes set for life in ny why leave office to eat poo poo nationally and face obstruction when he owns a conservative blue state machine with no term limits

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Real hurthling! posted:

dont buy it. Hes set for life in ny why leave office to eat poo poo nationally and face obstruction when he owns a conservative blue state machine with no term limits

Because he's a narcissist who wants to be president?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

good point

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope they keep the relaxed alcohol delivery laws forever, being able to seamless a $15 bottle of wine with my pizza has been awesome

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

restaurants will probably demand they need the liquor sales

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/04/seattles-leaders-let-scientists-take-the-lead-new-yorks-did-not

Worth a read, compares the public health responses in Seattle and New York

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lack of coversheet on election documents leads to 3 term democrat incumbent not being on ballot for state assembly and a republican is poised to win a blue district apparently

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Rofl jesus christ

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Tulip posted:

I heard this like, as I was typing, so it's pretty fresh. My source is pretty reliable so I'd be surprised if it was total bullshit.

I'm a chapter union rep and brought this up w/ our chapter president to see if we could organize on behalf of the POP program. He sent it to some high-ups in DC37, and the bosses said they are aware of cuts to Parks, but primarily in terms of not hiring seasonal workers. They didn't know about the POP program. Everything they have heard is that there are no planned layoffs, tho there might be some furloughs in the cultural institutions. (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dcla/index.page)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Way to devalue the arguments against the BoE's decision:
https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1254899682251362304

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm a chapter union rep and brought this up w/ our chapter president to see if we could organize on behalf of the POP program. He sent it to some high-ups in DC37, and the bosses said they are aware of cuts to Parks, but primarily in terms of not hiring seasonal workers. They didn't know about the POP program. Everything they have heard is that there are no planned layoffs, tho there might be some furloughs in the cultural institutions. (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dcla/index.page)

Interesting, and cool.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

Checking in to see if anyone else is not consistently receiving UI/PUA benefits? I got one direct deposit two weeks ago, have claimed each week and according to the system am to be back-dated from mid march. I thought it was on a regular schedule, same day same time, but now Im slightly anxious if something has happened and they just turned the UI faucet off.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lando Kardashian posted:

Checking in to see if anyone else is not consistently receiving UI/PUA benefits? I got one direct deposit two weeks ago, have claimed each week and according to the system am to be back-dated from mid march. I thought it was on a regular schedule, same day same time, but now Im slightly anxious if something has happened and they just turned the UI faucet off.

I am getting mine weekly just fine, but I had an existing claim from September, so

1) I didn't have the enrollment hiccups from the surge the past few weeks

and

2) every time I certify I get a warning that my benefits have expired but the direct deposits keep showing up so lol.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

everything has been fine with mine, too. I started the process in mid-March

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1257715923617792000?s=21

Privatizer daddy :swoon:

Real hurthling!