Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really curious how the track pad feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

UncleGuito posted:

Is there a way to have photos show up in a Files folder? My workflow when I back up to my PC is kind of a pain currently since I have to select “save to files” in the Photos app every time. iPad OS has made a ton of progress in the past year but boy does Apple still make things difficult sometimes.

If I were you I’d just change my workflow. I don’t think Files is exposed to shortcuts in the right way to automate this.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I have a 4th Gen iPad that has been sitting around gathering dust for a couple of years, and I'm thinking about using it for a dual screen app. Does anyone have a sense of how bad it will perform when it's upgraded to iOS 10.3.3?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pulled the trigger on the 11 inch Pro 2020 and even picked up the magic keyboard. Looking forward to trying that out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I have a 4th Gen iPad that has been sitting around gathering dust for a couple of years, and I'm thinking about using it for a dual screen app. Does anyone have a sense of how bad it will perform when it's upgraded to iOS 10.3.3?

I have an Air1 and it's pretty bad on latest IOS.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I'm really curious how the track pad feels.

I paired my 2018 11in that I've used with the Smart Keyboard case forever with my magic mouse 2 when 13.4 dropped just to try out the mouse/trackpad features and they're really nice, but that extra friction of having to grab the mouse is enough to put me off. So of course I ordered the stupid new magic keyboard case today because I can see that trackpad meshing perfectly with this and typing kinda blows on the smart keyboard anyways.

I'm hoping that it's as good as Apple laptop keyboards have been forever, as I'm reminded every time I have to use a Windows laptop with one.

That said, sounds like Brydge really managed to gently caress up their trackpad for the iPad so this thing better work as it's the only option.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Pulled the trigger on the 11 inch Pro 2020 and even picked up the magic keyboard. Looking forward to trying that out.

I was a day one ordered and could not buy the magic. I am sorely tempted, please report on if it is good, especially compared to the regular keyboard case.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ah maaaan that magic keyboard hinge definitely means it wouldn't fit in my day bag laptop pocket, that sucks.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Why doesn’t my iPad (7th gen, iOS 13.3.1) play music from Apple Music unless I have it downloaded? Even if it’s in my library I can’t play it.

I just sync’d it to Apple Music and that’s way too many songs to go in and download individually (since they aren’t downloading automatically — which might be another question).

E: just sign out and sign back into your profile IDIOT

Woofer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 16, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It wouldn’t have swayed my decision but just a heads up that the new cactus case doesn’t look like the green in the picture. It’s more like a teal 57 Chevy than any kind of cactus. It’s still the best color so whatever.

Also the Apple Pencil 2 is worth the upgrade. Having it charged and ready without stabbing me in the stomach is nice.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rolo posted:

It wouldn’t have swayed my decision but just a heads up that the new cactus case doesn’t look like the green in the picture. It’s more like a teal 57 Chevy than any kind of cactus. It’s still the best color so whatever.

Also the Apple Pencil 2 is worth the upgrade. Having it charged and ready without stabbing me in the stomach is nice.

That makes the color way cooler.

Your second paragraph is one of the reasons I want to upgrade from my Pro 9.6. Well that and the touchpad keyboard.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

jabro posted:

That makes the color way cooler.

Your second paragraph is one of the reasons I want to upgrade from my Pro 9.6. Well that and the touchpad keyboard.

Decided to do a GIS comparison and I think I nailed it.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

tuyop posted:

If I were you I’d just change my workflow. I don’t think Files is exposed to shortcuts in the right way to automate this.

I believe Shortcuts will only let you place files into the iCloud\Shortcuts folder - as long as you are okay with having your photos located in that folder, you should be able to create a shortcut that when you send photo(s) to Shortcuts, it will save them down to that folder and prompt you to delete them from Photos.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rolo posted:

Decided to do a GIS comparison and I think I nailed it.

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Good comparison.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Looks like the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard/trackpad case for the 7th gen iPad is available now: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HP312ZM/A/logitech-combo-touch-keyboard-case-with-trackpad-for-ipad-7th-generation

Am looking forward to reading some reviews, it's tempting....

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I also ordered a new pro yesterday. I passed on the cactus case for the non-magic keyboard folio. My pencil and case are arriving this week but the iPad is still pending.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

frogbs posted:

Looks like the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard/trackpad case for the 7th gen iPad is available now: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HP312ZM/A/logitech-combo-touch-keyboard-case-with-trackpad-for-ipad-7th-generation

Am looking forward to reading some reviews, it's tempting....

Logitech is always in pretty tight with apple; wonder if there will be a difference in trackpads.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zero One posted:

I also ordered a new pro yesterday. I passed on the cactus case for the non-magic keyboard folio. My pencil and case are arriving this week but the iPad is still pending.

I was able to order the new 11 from Best Buy and had it the next day. Got the case from Apple in 2.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Rolo posted:

I was able to order the new 11 from Best Buy and had it the next day. Got the case from Apple in 2.

Rolo posted:

Oh well. Says it should be delivered next week.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Chikimiki posted:

Sorry, should have been more precise: I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Smart Cover. I've checked on Amazon, but I couldn't decide from which one of the hundreds of weird name brands I should buy.

I've browsed through the last 10+ pages of this thread, but I only found recommendations for keyboard cases (tldr: buy Logitech). Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the official one for top dollar!

The ESR Rebound is a great smart cover kind of case and one of the few cheap cases I've seen that's actually sized for the iPad Air and not a 10.5" iPad Pro rebadge. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQBXVT1

The Logitech Slim Folio is the best keyboard case by far for the iPad Air. Nothing has better keyboard and protection for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFFK51S/

Keep in mind the Apple Smart Keyboard is slightly "better" for solely the typing experience than what Logitech offers but it's more expensive and doesn't protect the back of your iPad at all. Depends on what's more important to you.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The ESR Rebound is a great smart cover kind of case and one of the few cheap cases I've seen that's actually sized for the iPad Air and not a 10.5" iPad Pro rebadge. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQBXVT1

The Logitech Slim Folio is the best keyboard case by far for the iPad Air. Nothing has better keyboard and protection for the price.

Keep in mind the Apple Smart Keyboard is slightly "better" for solely the typing experience than what Logitech offers but it's more expensive and doesn't protect the back of your iPad at all. Depends on what's more important to you.

I have the Logitech rugged keyboard folio for the 7th gen iPad. Just plum doesn’t work. It’s need replaced under warranty and the replacement also doesn’t work. Logitech support says it’s an Apple software problem.

Any ideas on why a keyboard that uses the side accessory dots just wouldn’t work?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have the Logitech rugged keyboard folio for the 7th gen iPad. Just plum doesn’t work. It’s need replaced under warranty and the replacement also doesn’t work. Logitech support says it’s an Apple software problem.

Any ideas on why a keyboard that uses the side accessory dots just wouldn’t work?
Maybe hardware problem with the iPad/dots, whether something with just the physical contact or some other hardware issue?

(Otherwise perhaps something funky in Settings but I don't have a dotted iPad or accessory to reference myself)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

There are also cases that work with the Smart Keyboard if you want back protection. I got a UAG case that came with a plain smart cover for my Pro 10.5, and when I got the Smart Keyboard I removed that flap and put the keyboard on instead.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Thanks a lot! After some research, these are the models I've been set on as well, I just wanted some first- or second-hand confirmation :)

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Why aren't there any pictures of the magic keyboard folded back so you can use the ipad in tablet mode? Can it not do that?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Why aren't there any pictures of the magic keyboard folded back so you can use the ipad in tablet mode? Can it not do that?

Not a mechanical engineer, but based on the way that hinge appears to work I could be surprised if it could do that.

They make a big show in the demo video of how easy it is to detach from the keyboard. My guess is that’s how you use “tablet mode”.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Couple videos of the magic keyboard out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csp8W2MXFGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TCWNqLDD9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmGgZkFK40

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
That looks really incredible. I think I know what my next laptop will be (in like three years :negative:).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That looks way beefier than I was imagining it’d be. It’s going to be tough not getting one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehh, coming out of those videos I feel like I’ll be giving it the ol’ skip until I can actually hold one at a fruit stand after the end-times. It looks just bulky enough that it’ll be annoying to put in my camera bag, and it SOUNDS like it may make the iPad heavier than I’d like to carry around.

I also don’t really see myself with a mobile need for a trackpad just yet. Maybe this’ll be a Christmas splurge or something I look at next year, but right now I think I’m fully on the keyboard-only train (with a separate BT mouse if I really need it).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
600grams for the 11" keyboard.

That's a big boy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Yeast posted:

600grams for the 11" keyboard.

That's a big boy.

100 grams lighter than my Brydge, so that's nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hmmm since it doesn’t fold open for tablet mode I’m a little less jazzed about it.

I’m sure I’ll still get it but man I dunno.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m looking to give my 11” Pro more of a papery texture for note taking. The slick surface is somewhat .. too slick for natural writing with the pencil. Does anyone have any recommendations for any applied screen protectors with that kind of matte surface? What’s the tolerable lifetime for one given light daily note-taking of a few pages in OneNote?

I guess the second question more than the first. I can find a dozen by just googling and reading through Amazon reviews but I’d be curious to hear firsthand reports of how .. useful they were, and whether they made any difference in natural feeling writing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got another video from the guy with the Magic Keyboard. He did a little Q&A type thing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ndl1FMQ2A

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Martytoof posted:

I’m looking to give my 11” Pro more of a papery texture for note taking. The slick surface is somewhat .. too slick for natural writing with the pencil. Does anyone have any recommendations for any applied screen protectors with that kind of matte surface? What’s the tolerable lifetime for one given light daily note-taking of a few pages in OneNote?

I guess the second question more than the first. I can find a dozen by just googling and reading through Amazon reviews but I’d be curious to hear firsthand reports of how .. useful they were, and whether they made any difference in natural feeling writing.

I really love my Paperlike cover. You get 2 in the package, it's a little pricey but feels great. Just make sure your 3 year old doesn't regularly scratch it up. :|

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Passing my iPad Air 3 and keyboard cover along in the household because an old mini has a pitiful 16GB of storage and is being retired to just a media watching device.

Not sure if I have a need for a pro but I would like a 12.9 and that fancy keyboard case, daymn.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Got another video from the guy with the Magic Keyboard. He did a little Q&A type thing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ndl1FMQ2A

This is a good video.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also I really need to say I like the floating keyboard and swipe. It’s so much easier to use one handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Hmmm since it doesn’t fold open for tablet mode I’m a little less jazzed about it.

I’m sure I’ll still get it but man I dunno.

When you need it as a tablet, you detach and use it as a tablet. The Magic Keyboard looks more like a "dock for your iPad Pro" than a keyboard case tbh, and that's how I plan on using it.