Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Once I got the hang of my kickstart only bike the novelty never really wore off, and it was my daily driver for 3 years. Go get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Kickstart only sounds like a really cool idea until the engine overheats because it's air-cooled and you're sitting in traffic too long and it stalls at a stoplight and you're sitting there kicking the poo poo out of it while messing with the choke and throttle for what feels like 5 minutes

Yaaah but how huge are your balls after you walk up to your bike, chuck helmet on and start it on the first kick in an area packed with pedestrians?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Yaaah but how huge are your balls after you walk up to your bike, chuck helmet on and start it on the first kick in an area packed with pedestrians?

that is pretty great i gotta admit

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Having briefly lived this with the klr, I can say it's an order of magnitude greater than having a motorcycle in the first place.

When I get a tdub, it WILL have a kickstart.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've only had the privilege of working on one i4 with a kick (cb550), it was like cheat mode. Didn't even need a fast kick, as long as you did the full sweep at least one pot would always fire. So satisfying.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Light retro bikes off the top of my head:

New:
sr500
w800
The Mash 650 bikes if they sell those where you live, there's a dirt tracker and a scrambler. The Mash Five Hundred (400cc) is more of an old English bike.
Royal Enfield

Old:
srx600
gb500

High Protein fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 15, 2020

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
We, as in me, my big brother and father tried 3 mash bikes as rentals a couple of years ago. The controls felt cheap. 2 of the 3 had issues with getting into 2nd gear. one fotpeg rest snapped off. So they can't handle rental abuse at least. i think all 3 was with the 400cc engine, 2 dualsports + classic.

As in would not recommend over a Japanese manufactured bike.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

High Protein posted:

New:
sr500
w800
The Mash 650 bikes if they sell those where you live, there's a dirt tracker and a scrambler. The Mash Five Hundred (400cc) is more of an old English bike.
Royal Enfield

Old:
srx600
gb500

The new royal enfield twins as well. More middle weight, I suppose.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

High Protein posted:

New:
sr500
w800
Royal Enfield

Old:
srx600
gb500

Are they making new SR500s? I'm only familiar with the ones from the 70s and 80s.
I think the GB500 is neat, but for the money those things go for you could get something cooler, newer, and better.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Are they making new SR500s? I'm only familiar with the ones from the 70s and 80s.
I think the GB500 is neat, but for the money those things go for you could get something cooler, newer, and better.

I was wrong, apparently it's only the SR400 they re-released.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've had a couple different people ask me if my w800 is a 125, that's how small it is. In reality it is a bit bigger, but not by much.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I think someone was looking for something like this recently?
https://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/d/newport-honda-xr600r-street-scrambler/7106962646.html

craigslist posted:

Honda XR600R Street Scrambler - $3000 (Newport)

2000 Honda XR600R
condition: like new
engine displacement (CC): 600
fuel: gas
paint color: red
street legal
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: street
Street-legal titled Honda XR600R Street Scrambler. ~1500 miles since complete rebuild of everything. Built for street use; lowered, lightened, lit up. Has all the choicest XR mods: exhaust, cam, intake, FCR carb, hot ignition, etc. 270LBS wet, 50ish HP, more torque than necessary, geared to break speed limits in most any jurisdiction. Guaranteed to annoy neighbors, scare children, and make you more attractive to the gender(s) of your choice.

To the inevitable newbs who are going to ask me if this "starts easy": This is a kickstart-only, healthy-compression, long duration cam, flatside pumper carb, large displacement 4-stroke single. 3 kicks from TDC with full choke and three squirts of gas, cold-blooded until over 90F. First kick all day thereafter. Takes more finesse than strength, as any limpy middle-aged MX veteran will tell you.
Flood it and she'll mock you 'til leg day rolls back around at the gym. Dare to crack the throttle at kickover and prepare to eat your own knee. There's a hotstart knob on the carb for starting hot, and a decompressor on the cam cover for decompressing, but I never use either.

If you ask me for my "best price", it's $5000, which is still less than it cost to build, so let's all agree that $3000 is a smokin' deal. Not interested in trades, unless you have something that my Mexican landlady wants more than my cash.

Complete build-sheet below; please read!

- custom rear subframe in .035" chromoly tube
- frame downtubes doubled with .035" chomoly tube
- new chromoly tank mounts
- new custom chromoly kickstand and mount
- custom chromoly rear brake mount

- shaved/smoothed swingarm
- new KoubaLink swingarm lowering link
- new swingarm pivot bearings and seals
- new monoshock pivot bearings
- new OEM swingarm pivot fasteners
- new swingarm chain sliders
- new DID X-ring chain
- new XRs Only billet chain guide
- new XRs Only billet Case Saver
- new tapered roller head bearings
- shaved/smoothed monoshock body
- monoshock rebuilt to Factory Connection spec with ~5/16" shortened stroke
- new Rebel Gears custom alloy rear sprocket
- new Renthal steel front sprocket
- shaved/smoothed wheel hubs
- new 18" Moose Racing rear rim
- NOS 19" DID front rim
- new Buchanans stainless spokes/nipples front and rear
- new wheel bearings/seals
- new wheel bearing retainers
- XRs Only billet speedo drive delete
- new Shinko 705 tires

- NOS front brake disc
- new Braking rear disc
- rebuilt OEM calipers with new pistons, seals, retainers, and pads
- new custom Galfer stainless brake lines
- rebuilt OEM master cylinders with new pistons, seals, retainers
- new ASV C6 Pro Series brake lever
- new ASV C6 Pro Series clucth perch and lever
- new Motion Control clutch cable
- new Motion Control throttle cables
- IMS Pro Series stainles steel footpegs

- shaved/smoothed fork lowers
- shaved/smoothed fork triple clamps
- Factory Connection tuned fork cartridges
- forks lowered ~1.25" with custom preload spacers

- custom carbon/Kevlar seat-pan with Confor memory foam upholstery
- '76 Honda CB gas tank with Caswell liner
- custom fuel sight glass
- new full-flow 5/16" Golan billet petcock
- new billet fuel filter

- stock displacement/compression 1999 Honda XR600R engine
- shaved/smoothed cam cover
- new Helicoiled OEM exhaust studs
- new head gasket
- new cam cover gasket
- new side cover gaskets
- new Hot Cams Stage 2 camshaft
- Keihin FCR-MX 39mm flatslide carb with Boyeson Quickshot
- custom composite filter adaptor with integral velocity stack
- UniFilter MX pod filter
- FMF Powerbomb stainless exhaust with custom Cone Eng. SS muffler
- Rick's Motorsport HotShot CDI ignition
- new OEM coil and wire
- new Ricky Stator 200 watt charging system

- 3700mAh NiMH battery
- NOS engine harness
- all new chassis wiring, sleeved and soldered
- new OEM-style custom modular fusebox
- new Baja Designs XL-R Pro LED headlight with custom mounting
- new Acerbis dual-sport DOT LED taillight
- new Motogaget M-Blaze bar-end LED turn signals
- TrailTech Voyager digital instrument with full sensor package
- HDB billet bar switches

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hnnnngg

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-2018-yamaha-tw-200/7105850107.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That xr600r looks really well done. Smoking deal for someone. Ride it For two years, sell it for the same amount.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There goes another thing I never knew I needed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is awesome.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh My GOD. I'm so glad it's far from me or I'd be 3k poorer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I was actually browsing eBay/freeads an hour ago for an old XR engine to do exactly that with as an ongoing project now my 650r is nearly done, and here it is in the flesh, what a great motorcycle

On that note, has anyone touched the poop and had any experience with the newer efi zongshen XR knockoffs?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I tried out the SV 650 today for the first summer ride. Thank you thread, what a perfect bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

I was actually browsing eBay/freeads an hour ago for an old XR engine to do exactly that with as an ongoing project now my 650r is nearly done, and here it is in the flesh, what a great motorcycle

On that note, has anyone touched the poop and had any experience with the newer efi zongshen XR knockoffs?

I have, still washing my hands.

Remember how the air cooled xr's had that impossible combination of power, revs AND reliability? Turns out when you lose the trick head design to save money, the power and revs disappear, and you're left with a mediocre air cooled single made to a price, in China. I'll admit they seem to be much 'nicer' overall than Lifan.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Fiancé is looking to upgrade from her newish rebel 500.

Looking for a more multipurpose bike, commuting, light adventure forest/fire roads, touring, moto camping, etc.

Lightweight, but mid displacement (sportier than a rebel 500) with some wind protection, ABS and easy to flat foot are big priorities. Bonus points for easily removed/nice luggage and heated grips. No DCT.

What’s in this category of bike?

These come to mind- anything else to consider?

CB500X, NC700/750, 650 vstrom, ktm 790, versys 650, bmw 650/700/800

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mildly farkled DR 650? Or is there a reason that’s not on your list? Drz 400 honestly sounds like it would fit the bill too if she can swallow a step down in displacement

Edit: Drz probably doesn’t have what you want for (I assume) highway riding

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
ABS is a must, which knocks off lots of bikes.

Once we move to a more rural area some dirt bikes will come for sure.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ténéré 700 would probably fit into that category.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ah I missed ABS

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Africa twin?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

I have, still washing my hands.

Remember how the air cooled xr's had that impossible combination of power, revs AND reliability? Turns out when you lose the trick head design to save money, the power and revs disappear, and you're left with a mediocre air cooled single made to a price, in China. I'll admit they seem to be much 'nicer' overall than Lifan.

The idea is to offer the guy in the local junk shop something for this old frame and drop a Japanese air-cooled single or small twin into it.

I think it's either a Royal Enfield or Norton? There's some royals in the back but since the geezer is hiding from the rona I can't go in to ask

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The shape of that looks like a Norton featherbed, but I dunno how many other frames had a similar shape back then

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Fiancé is looking to upgrade from her newish rebel 500.

Looking for a more multipurpose bike, commuting, light adventure forest/fire roads, touring, moto camping, etc.

Lightweight, but mid displacement (sportier than a rebel 500) with some wind protection, ABS and easy to flat foot are big priorities. Bonus points for easily removed/nice luggage and heated grips. No DCT.

What’s in this category of bike?

These come to mind- anything else to consider?

CB500X, NC700/750, 650 vstrom, ktm 790, versys 650, bmw 650/700/800

How tall is she? A bunch of those may not be easy to flatfoot. NC700 is dct and boring as poo poo.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My new bike budget is still burning a hole in my pocket waiting out this coronavirus thing, and I keep flip flopping between 2 completely different bikes. On paper a Z400 seems great, but then I'm really tempted to pick up a mid- '00s Sportster. I'd be really tempted if I could get this for $3k - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2610886419126007/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

The idea is to offer the guy in the local junk shop something for this old frame and drop a Japanese air-cooled single or small twin into it.

I think it's either a Royal Enfield or Norton? There's some royals in the back but since the geezer is hiding from the rona I can't go in to ask

What's happening with the swingarm there though? Someone has started the job of turning it into a rigid (nothing says 'sporty' like no suspension!) but the arm itself looks really stumpy and homemade compared to the frame itself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah looks like someone set it up to start welding a modified subframe on but never welded it

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm rethinking the purchase guys

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That’s not the original swinger is it? Looks flimsy as hell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

I'm rethinking the purchase guys

Why would you be modifying this and swapping that when you can have all the lackluster shittyness of a diy engine swapped British bike from the factory? Just buy an enfield.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

drat.

I mean you're not wrong, but drat.

That one poster's royal Enfield trail of tears series should be required reading.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I read that saga and I can still say Enfield has specs and styling nailed down enough for me to think "the fire surely won't burn ME if I touch it".

Never cared for the old ones or the "heritage" or whatever but whoever rebooted their company is doing something right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are really not that bad, if you get a good one. Decent enough design but awful QC mean it can take a while to make one reliable, but once it's good it stays good for a good while. They do offer an experience you can't get with any other new bike I'm aware of - a taste of what old bikes were actually like to ride, not just what they looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've bought a whole bunch of poo poo off the internet to service my Shiver since I dunno when it was last done. It's going to be all new fluids (brake, oil and coolant), air filter, spark plugs and oil filter and brake pads. I've never done any of this before so it's going to be interesting.