Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Falconer is very weird. it's a to-hand $4 gainer that you can play out of turn if someone else gains a multi-type card. Just a strange space for a card to be in. Invest is wild. Exile a card. When someone else gains a copy of that card, draw 2. Lotta neat things you could do there.

H2Omelon posted:

10 of the ways are not shown in the rulebook (including Pig, Sheep and Ox) because they are so simple they do not need rules clarification, apparently. So we still don't know what Camel, Frog, Goat, Monkey, Mule, Otter and Worm do.

That's hilarious. "You just do what it says on the card."

Elysium posted:

Yo gently caress Seize the Day. That event is gonna be so stupid when your opponent just ends the game over 2 consecutive turns and you don't even get to play.

What happens if your Opponent Donates, and then you Goatherd?

Chain it with Outpost and Fleet and they can win the game over four consecutive turns. And I guess you draw a lot of cards. You could probably use some of those cards to Donate on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
With Fleet though, you can buy one as well. So Fleet can't actually screw you out of getting another turn (although you can get screwed by there not being any VP available to buy), and Outpost has the 3 card draw so that limits it in many cases.

For Donate-Goatherd the feedback I'm getting is Donate is between turns so nothing happens.

Wait, can you Fleet and THEN Seize the Day?

quote:

"You just do what it says on the card."

This is how I describe the rules of Dominion to people.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2020

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Donald X has clarified what the remaining ways are:

quote:

Way of the Camel: Way
Exile a Gold from the Supply.

Way of the Frog: Way
+1 Action
When you discard this from play
this turn, put it onto your deck.

Way of the Goat: Way
Trash a card from your hand.

Way of the Monkey: Way
+1 Buy
+$1

Way of the Mule: Way
+1 Action
+$1

Way of the Otter: Way
+2 Cards

Way of the Worm: Way
Exile an Estate from the Supply.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Way of the Camel looks kinda hard to fit in, but a delayed Gold gainer option seems pretty good for getting payload ready.

Way of the Worm seems weird. Emergency piling option?

Overall, looks like a high-quality expansion. Ways are cool (even the simple ones), the new events are pretty flashy, and the return of variable cost cards always leads to fun shenanigans with multiple buys.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 17, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Way of the worm effectively gives you a bonus buy +2$ and then conveniently stashes that Estate where it won't muck up your deck, so overall not terrible especially if you're doing some late greening and don't have extra buys and can already afford a province.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a free VP when you draw your necropolis but not any actions that you actually want to do.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Opinions on Groom vs. Ironworks? The Victory option is straight-up better with Groom, but the other two bonuses are less immediate benefits.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Menagerie thoughts: in general, this expansion seems like a pain to play in person. Better than Nocturne where the pain comes in flipping the top card from the deck which then tells you to flip another top card of a deck, but it's a whole bunch of awkward cards that do awkward things. Like, I believe you can Kiln a Sheepdog, react to gaining a Sheepdog w/ a Falconer to gain another Sheepdog to your hand, which then reacts again. With the online implementation, I have basically perfect trust it will enforce the rules correctly, and I'm glad of it because I would not like to police all those interactions myself. It's a good kind of awkwardness online though.
Black Cats just won me a game because someone bought a Province and got mauled by 6 of the things. It would have been more but I'd just been Milita'd. So I take back what I said about Black Cats.
I was looking at the happy Way of the Seal art and wondering why a seal, and then it hit me.I think the majority of the ways are some kind of reference like that. Way of the Mouse is apparently a reference to Young Witch.
I like a lot of the art in this one.

Guy A. Person posted:

So wait...Way of the Mouse

When it says "any unused" action Kingdom card, does it mean from outside the current Kingdom? So as in any 2 or 3 cost card from any other set that you have available? And does each player get to choose that individually?

In the unlikely event you're still unsure, it's set at the start of the game, and yes it seems to be any card that costs between $2 and $3. gently caress you, people who still shuffle randomizers. It also leads to a way that is either crazy strong or totally useless.

Roluth posted:

Opinions on Groom vs. Ironworks? The Victory option is straight-up better with Groom, but the other two bonuses are less immediate benefits.

Cantrip (+card +action) is alright, but there's a reason such a lot of cantrips cost $2. It's something tacked onto a weak effect to make it not actively detrimental to your deck. And as weak effects go, gaining a green card that costs less than or equal to $4 is pretty flipping weak. So on the terrible choice you shouldn't take, yeah Groom is undeniably stronger. Comparing the two in general, I would say Groom is better with thicker decks. Horses to let you find things, an extra silver to be found. Ironworks have the benefit of grabbing actions without taking your action. So on a board with both, I'd weigh up what villages there are, or how likely I am to see two Actions in a hand. And of course if I wanted either in the first place.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
In a sad twist...my fancy storage dividers for Menagerie showed up, but I don't have the expansion yet. Thanks 'rona.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

In a sad twist...my fancy storage dividers for Menagerie showed up, but I don't have the expansion yet. Thanks 'rona.

Got my copy today; glad I've got plenty of time to sleeve

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I've been sticking to the online version anyway since all the people I play with don't live with me. I think there's been at least a minor delay with every set and this one is more understandable than most, but I'll order the physical version when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm by no means complaining about the shipping delays, and like you say, it's not like I'm actually gonna be /playing/ with this set any time soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, managed to fit menagerie in my storage solution. All cards with Potion costs and the 12 removed 1e cards have been moved out of the main box into the side box....but I did it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

jivjov posted:

All cards with Potion costs

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/135/090/140.gif

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hey, I enjoy Potion cards. But I recognize that it's sorta necessary to very deliberately include them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Had a quarantine game night where we all played Dominion online, went pretty well. Is the only way to play the expansions to buy a subscription?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

StashAugustine posted:

Had a quarantine game night where we all played Dominion online, went pretty well. Is the only way to play the expansions to buy a subscription?

They're currently offering one expansion for free each day as a "hey sorry social distancing sucks" thing, but otherwise yes. That said, only one person needs to sub - everyone at the "table" can share one subscription

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I think they started rotating one expansion free? But otherwise yes, but only one person in the game needs to buy the subscription.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just pulled a random setup that has Way of the Mouse...with the set aside card being Menagerie. You can't write jokes like that

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

jivjov posted:

Just pulled a random setup that has Way of the Mouse...with the set aside card being Menagerie. You can't write jokes like that

I don't get it?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pvt. Parts posted:

I don't get it?

The name of the new set is Menagerie and one of the new effects from it (Way of the Mouse) pulled in the card Menagerie from Cornucopia.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Next expansion coming in January! Huzzah!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even tho I don’t get to play it as much as I used to, it’s still always insanely fun seeing the crazy new concepts Donald comes up with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-allies/

Say hello to Dominion Allies

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm most excited because it means another insane marketing blurb. This one was pretty good,

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Seaside getting a Second Edition, like the Base game and Intrigue had years ago. So some bad cards going out of print to be replaced with new ones.

https://www.riograndegames.com/2022/01/dominion-seaside-2nd-edition-announced/

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

H2Omelon posted:

Seaside getting a Second Edition, like the Base game and Intrigue had years ago. So some bad cards going out of print to be replaced with new ones.

https://www.riograndegames.com/2022/01/dominion-seaside-2nd-edition-announced/

So I think 6 cards got replaced in each of base and intrigue, what would get replaced in seaside?

Pirate Ship, Embargo, Navigator

If they want to get rid of non-card components, add Island and Native Village.

Nothing else jumps out at me yet, Smugglers? Haven?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

When asked "What cards would you remove if later sets had an actual 2E overhaul?" DXV posted:

Seaside: Pearl Diver, Navigator, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Embargo, Lookout. The first three are duds; Sea Hag because I don't like having two cheap junking attacks in one set and would rather take out Sea Hag than Ambassador, plus some people don't like that it has no upside, just attack; Embargo is a dud but also I get to not include Embargo tokens; Lookout is fine but a lot of casual players don't like it.

With any 2E I would try to make better versions of cards that left that had merit to the premise or flavor, and would try to get more use out of extra components. So here, I'd have maybe 3 cards that used the coin tokens, and a different Pirate Ship. I wanted to do a Seaside 2E; it didn't happen because Jay didn't want to ask Valerie if we could replace Harem and give her a new card in Intrigue 2E, and well Seaside has two cards depicting people, Pearl Diver and Navigator. Plus Jay had boxes of Embargo tokens sitting around. It still might happen someday; the usual problem is, it's competing with all other projects.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Interestingly, while Base and Intrigue removed 6 cards + blanks and added 7, the announcement says there will be 9 new cards in Seaside, so I assume the update pack box is a little bigger. I think its fair to assume 8 cards + blanks are going from Seaside, so more cards getting the chop.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pearl Diver! I knew there was a card I was forgetting that basically did nothing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, there's a lot of bad cards in Seaside. I'm surprised Lookout's one of them, but if it scares people then I guess it's reasonable to remove it. I'll throw in Merchant Ship as a card that could be taken out.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

garthoneeye posted:

Pearl Diver! I knew there was a card I was forgetting that basically did nothing.

Some of these stupid little cards can be really interesting when they are one of the only cantrips on the board and there are projects out or other landmarks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Elysium posted:

Some of these stupid little cards can be really interesting when they are one of the only cantrips on the board and there are projects out or other landmarks.

If a card is only good for the +card +action, it's a boring card that should be removed.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I like pearl diver thematically, but yeah, it's not terribly good. Maybe they can make a card that draws you that card instead of putting it on top?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like the idea of Pirate Ship, but it's just so bad at doing what it's supposed to. I used to think Lookout was pretty bad; I still think I wouldn't take it unless I had a non-Lookout way to get rid of it. I have literally never used Pearl Diver except for its cantrip function (such as for Emporium or Magic Lamp) or when trashing for benefit.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
It can be good with cards that care about the top of your deck like mystic or chariot race, but that's a lot less likely then being a dud

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

homullus posted:

I used to think Lookout was pretty bad; I still think I wouldn't take it unless I had a non-Lookout way to get rid of it.

You just stop playing it after a time. You stop playing Chapel pretty quickly, and that's still a great card.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

You just stop playing it after a time. You stop playing Chapel pretty quickly, and that's still a great card.

Yeah, I know. But I would really be getting Lookout for the trashing, you know? Chapel is so good at trashing that it's worth being stuck with it later (plus you may need to trash stuff that other people send you); Lookout is a bit worse at trashing early--really, much worse at trashing, but mitigated by the discard and the fact that it isn't taking Copper out of early hands--and almost infinitely worse at trashing later. I'm not sure I can think of a trashing card I like less than Lookout. I don't like Forge much and even that is probably better than Lookout.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like it more than any of the terminal cards that thin one card (eg Silk Road). Lookout is non-terminal, and cycles your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Lookout is a very good trasher, because it lets you trash and still use the rest of your hand. It is surprisingly quick. It’s biggest problem is that the good it does on each play feel small, while if it ever misses the harm it does feels very large.