Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm voting for acid blood and poison vulnerability for our :catdrugs: this time. After we're done with initial exploration, I'd say Piotrek for our next line of action.

edit: update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
azren is the official thread page-starter.

And THIS is the official thread SECOND EXPLORATION OF THE SILENT FOREST!

[

We're all explored out. We gotta do SOMETHING, all who haven't voted!

(Looks like ACID BLOOD will be our next positive perk!)

If you've already voted, that's cool. For the rest of you:

Exits are: NORTH, VILLAGE, WOLFIE, PIOTREK, HOG PEN

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Feel like we should say hi to Piotrek

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ha, okay, the dream was pretty good. If you're going to do a meet-the-devs, find-credits easter egg you need to integrate it into the game in a way that makes sense, or else put it outside the game in a separate menu, and this worked better than most.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The locked door in the dev dream... I wonder what's there if someone edited in a lockpick for the player to use. Or if it's just empty space on the other side.

Also, why have you been selling the firearms ammunition? Is it plentiful by the time you actually get access to a firearm or is investing in a firearm actually a boondoggle and a big ol' axe/shovel actually superior?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I would guess Bacter's been selling the ammo to save on space, since it's useless until you actually get a gun and inventory/storage space is my biggest gripe with what I've seen of this game so far. When gameplay is based around looting and crafting, you need a reasonable amount of pocket space because you need to carry stuff with you. I really hope there are some decent upgrades throughout the game because backtracking to empty your pockets multiple times per day when daylight is limited is kind of bullshit. Obviously you don't want to be able to easily carry everything you could ever want, resource management is clearly a core part of the game and the realism of it is part of the immersion, but I think it's pushed too far in the other direction at the moment and is just irritating.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

That's the same impression I get.

He just wants a shotgun, at some point. Until then, just sell everything else.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

GO WOLFIE

møøse probably lead to less of a guilt trip than doggos

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

The Wolf is a very good boy and would never lead us astray.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
As much as I don't like it, Wolfe needs a chat, and also maybe there is some way to restore the power to Hog Hole? I mean we want to help fellow survivors right?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Black Robe posted:

I would guess Bacter's been selling the ammo to save on space, since it's useless until you actually get a gun and inventory/storage space is my biggest gripe with what I've seen of this game so far. When gameplay is based around looting and crafting, you need a reasonable amount of pocket space because you need to carry stuff with you. I really hope there are some decent upgrades throughout the game because backtracking to empty your pockets multiple times per day when daylight is limited is kind of bullshit. Obviously you don't want to be able to easily carry everything you could ever want, resource management is clearly a core part of the game and the realism of it is part of the immersion, but I think it's pushed too far in the other direction at the moment and is just irritating.

This is it exactly. It’s very possible to cripple yourself by hoarding for the future. Before 1 or 2 more levels of crafting, ammo might as well be shiny stones. And i agree about the constant trips being kind of annoying. At least I don’t have to eat/drink!

In fairness to the game, a regular play might include lots more exploratory crafting and boarding. I’ve been doing only “good” crafting and defense so far.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Hey, I'm really thankful for this LP, I'm enjoying it so much!

I'm a backer for this game and did play quite a bit in the early Alpha days, but then kind of got burned out. When it finally released the final build I played only for a bit, died a lot (mostly by stepping on poison mushrooms, and once to a hilariously overpowered monster), couldn't figure out a viable strategy and eventually gave up.

I still love the way they deal with the darkness, the field of sight, the sounds, the amazing character art. I'm less partial to the dream sequences (I got lost in that first one).

Anyway, thanks again for doing this; I look forward to seeing what I've been missing out on.

If I may get in on the voting, I go for Piotrek as the next step.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bacter posted:

azren is the official thread page-starter.

I accept this responsibility, and will most likely immediately fail at it next page.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Aww, the mitten wearing merchant likes us!
Time to see what the big bad wolf wants.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Piotrek needs us to go say hi.

Also, I think you are the baddie Bactar. Killing dogs and elk and people and homeowners and pigs and thieving and burning things with molotov and setting up bear traps for random people to step on and shooting yourself up with who knows what. Be better :(

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Baseless slander! I haven’t yet killed even one pig!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You're thinking it, I know you are!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

How is Bacter supposed to explore properly and avoid killing dogs when the dogs have declared nearly everywhere their territory? Is he just supposed to let them gnaw his arms off while trying to get to Wolfie's house or grab another can of gas? And if so, why stop there? Why not climb in the oven when he gets home and cook himself up for a good healthy meal for the dang mangy mutts??

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bacter killed one elk

that makes up for all the feral dogs and feral humans and paranoid idiots

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Slaan posted:

You're thinking it, I know you are!

sweatsweatsweatsweatsweatsweat

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I don't feel half as bad for the elk as for the dogs. Elk are big and scary and will attack you.
Also, i vote Piotrek

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We should go to the Hog Pen. Absolutely nothing can go wrong.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Thesaya posted:

I don't feel half as bad for the elk as for the dogs. Elk are big and scary and will attack you.

Dogs are smaller, but still scary and willing to attack you.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

azren posted:

I'll take dogs over what comes after you in later sections of this game. Brrr...

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Give me a piece of that Piotrek

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

azren posted:

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I am talking about right now, without an apocalypse, and not because they had a bad human. Elk are terrifying. Dogs are fine.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thesaya posted:

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I am talking about right now, without an apocalypse, and not because they had a bad human. Elk are terrifying. Dogs are fine.

in fact, I would go even farther and say that dogs are good

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Dogs are, it must be stressed, USUALLY good. Is a dog still a dog when it's a twisted rotting monstrocity?

What about when it's a wolf?

LET'S FIND OUT!

We got enough votes for BOTH Wolfie and Piotrek that I started their respective quests each, and went a step further and explored where Wolfie told me to.

And folks, this is a treat of an episode. And at the END of it, oh MAN are we at a crossroads. This is the time to step up and decide what we're going to do with this place. Rather than just a single vote, I'm going to describe the situations, and you tell me more or less what you'd like to see done.

Descriptions below

Wolfie: We've got his key. We could give it to him, or we could not. If we don't give it to him, we could assume that he won't take the betrayal well, and decide to do a little preemptive striking, or we could NOT do that, and see what other wonders he works in the world. Also, he urged us to kill the pig that's supplying the villagers.

He's also got some ideas re: piotrek. See the bonus video for that.

Musician: He also wants the key. He SOUNDS kinder, but also maybe a bit of a creepy and stalker-y? And is he a mutant? We could go to the silo to talk to him more, go to the silo and give him the key, ignore him, or ambush him at the silo and finish him off before he can work any mischief. He said he wants some meat from the pig pen.

Pig Pen: The lady in the burned house told us to kill the pig. Wolfie told us to kill the pig. The musician said he'd like some meat from the pig pen. The villagers are starving without it being fed. We know the cables were cut, sabotaging their ability to feed it. We have some replacement cables. We can't get in the pigpen itself without fighting the villagers. We can TOTALLY take them on, and aren't you curious? But then, maybe it's best not to go in. We could: go in and kill ALL the villagers, try to sneak in only killing a FEW villagers, try to kite the villager away from the pigpen, and make it in to see what's up but not kill anybody. We could fix the cables, or not. Once the cables are fixed, we can also turn on the power or not.

Piotrek: He wants a bunch of spare parts. I've been collecting them, so we can give them all to him right now. Of course, what he might DO with them doesn't sound safe. He has no pig pen opinions as far as I know.

Wolfie, as mentioned, has some... Piotrek ideas.

Alternatively: we can ALWAYS head north. Maybe it's time, now that we know where the church is!

Alternatively alternatively: killing EVERYBODY is also an option. They're headed downhill. Maybe (and I genuinely do mean maybe, given this game) that's the best for them.

Discussion welcome.

Sorry for the long update - wasn't really a good breaking point.

Hey, how are the nights going?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 22, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

1 DEAD PIGS
BORN TO CRAFT
WORLD IS A FOREST

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Pig Pen
We must help Piotrek Musk get to space.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You want to go IN the pen? Kill the guards and see what's in there?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Give Wolfie the key. I don't trust either of them, but he seems more likely to a. reward us and b. kill us if we cross him

Kill the pig. The villagers are starving anyway and they seem bad? It doesn't bear thinking about what they were feeding it before. Kill as many of them as you can/need to.

Give Piotrek the parts. Why not. Might be fun? Piotrek can into space

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 22, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

One vote to help wolfie

abstain from the pig vote

give pirotek his stuff

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’d prefer to help Wolfie than the musician kid. Wolfie has actually helped us and I’d rather not get on his bad side.

Quite a few people want us to kill the pig so that seems to be a fair option.

Though I’m a bit perturbed by him, might as well give Pirotek his stuff. Better that than clogging up inventory space.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Crane Fist posted:

Give Wolfie the key. I don't trust either of them, but he seems more likely to a. reward us and b. kill us if we cross him

Kill the pig. The villagers are starving anyway and they seem bad? It doesn't bear thinking about what they were feeding it before. Kill as many of them as you can/need to.

Give Piotrek the parts. Why not. Might be fun? Piotrek can into space

This all seems like pretty sound logic to me.

I guess we can also give some meat to the Musician in continuation of our goal of not pissing off any of the named characters until we absolutely have to, since he's the only one who specifically asked for meat instead of just killing the pig and this might make him less salty about not getting the key.

(Maybe we can keep some for ourselves too, it's got to be better than the stuff we've been eating. Pork goes well with mushrooms.)

And if we give Piotrek this junk we don't have to carry it and waste our precious, precious pocket space.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Black Robe posted:

I guess we can also give some meat to the Musician in continuation of our goal of not pissing off any of the named characters until we absolutely have to, since he's the only one who specifically asked for meat instead of just killing the pig and this might make him less salty about not getting the key.

Oh yeah that's a point, I vote for this as well

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wolfie: Give him the key. He's been a bro. Surely nothing can go wrong from giving the key belonging to an old grandmother living in the forest to a wolf.

Musician: Give the dude some meat. Do not give him the key.

Pig Pen: Fix the cables, and if that means people start getting eaten we kill the pig and drat the consequences.

Piotrek: Help him go to space. He has a dream in this mad world, it won't make things any worse if we help him. Pretty sure. I mean, exploding a chunk of the map probably won't make things any worse than they are.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Talk to the musician. Fix the cables. Fix the spaceship. Also, can we use the key ourselves? cause I vote that over Wolf or stalker.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Always help Mr. Wolf. He is possibly some murderous anthropomorphic animal-person, but he is the most sane individual around here.

Fix the cables. And stick to a mushroom diet.

Don't help Piotrek. Poland Cannot Into Space.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Thesaya posted:

Also, can we use the key ourselves? cause I vote that over Wolf or stalker.

An excellent point, and something that we should consider. We can totally use the key ourselves.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 22, 2020