Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEFx1qmW4ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

for unlimited bomber range without all those pesky nuclear radiation problems

Hi altitude solar powered glider.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Midjack posted:

As described in the smash best-seller My Tank Is Fight!

Hah, I thought I was the only one who had Zach's book.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FuturePastNow posted:

I suspect the US of 1945 would have been more effective at dealing with Zeppelin bombers than the British in 1915.

I’m thinking .50 caliber incendiary would make VERY short work of anything using hydrogen lift gas.

And now I want to see zeppelin kill markings on the side of a P-47.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

MrYenko posted:

I’m thinking .50 caliber incendiary would make VERY short work of anything using hydrogen lift gas.

And now I want to see zeppelin kill markings on the side of a P-47.

.303 incendiary was what did the job at the time, I believe.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Thanks to reading acres of fascinating rigid-airship posts by someone*, I learned that shooting down a hydrogen-lift device was far harder than it would appear.

If memory serves (a pop quiz!) regular ballistics could make holes, but not ignite the gas. Tracers could also make holes, but passed through the envelope too quickly for enough oxygen to enter the envelope in sufficient volume to cause ignition. It was a combination in the belt, of relatively low-velocity rounds + tracers with a long, slow burn that did the trick.

*Nebakenezzer

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2020

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, iirc it was .45 Gatling that eventually worked. A .50 would just zip in and out with very little effect other than making some holes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hah, I thought I was the only one who had Zach's book.

It should be required reading for everyone here.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Guys help. Cat experienced a variable sweep ear failure today. No circuit breakers to pull and dash 1 unclear on emergency procedures.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Try scratching the head to see if it unlocks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Roll inverted.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Roll inverted.

It just keeps rolling level again.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bloops posted:

Guys help. Cat experienced a variable sweep ear failure today. No circuit breakers to pull and dash 1 unclear on emergency procedures.

Don't worry, the cat was certified in full opposite ear position. RTB and have an (organic) mechanic look at it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cat moved to blanket hangar. Will ops check ear swing on next playtime sortie.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Murgos posted:

This. And it can go several levels deep with 'public' (not public but used in a certain community) code names and internal code names for the same activities. Who is doing the work can be as secret as what work is being done.

And it's still less insane than the level of secrecy the Soviets attached to...well basically everything, but especially aviation things. Which makes researching anything related to it an exercise in frustration and confusion.

Anyone have a guess as to what the exhaust in the tail of this 182 is for?

https://flic.kr/p/2iS4mTk

It looks like an APU, but what kind of 182 needs a loving APU?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 19, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Elviscat posted:

I think about this a lot, as aircraft are the only means of transportation that isn't easily directly or indirectly powered by clean, environmentally friendly atomics, in my vision of the world that has virtually no pollution based on this incomparable, but vilified green energy source.

Unreal_One posted:

It can be expressed in kW, but for large aircraft, quite a lot of kW. Conservative guesstimating has a 747 needing way over 100kN in cruise at a speed of ~250 m/s. That's 25,000 kW. This is helped by the fact that jet engines get more efficient with speed, having a thrust that drops off much less than linearly with speed, even if the plane as a system gets less efficient, since drag power increases with the cube of speed, even without the nonlinearity of supersonic.

Thanks for indepth posts, guys. I read them and said "twenty-five Megawatts to fly a 747?!" and then crossed nuclear propulsion off the list. I'm adding to the list "6 GE90s".

Elviscat posted:

If you want a heavy-lift aircraft that doesn't burn fuel, it's airship all the way, mount it high up on the envelope and away from the gondola, and you need much less shielding, because radiation fields decrease in strength with the square of distance.

As you can tell, this was a long-con to talk about airships*

*lies

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

And it's still less insane than the level of secrecy the Soviets attached to...well basically everything, but especially aviation things. Which makes researching anything related to it an exercise in frustration and confusion.

Anyone have a guess as to what the exhaust in the tail of this 182 is for?

https://flic.kr/p/2iS4mTk

It looks like an APU, but what kind of 182 needs a loving APU?

I bet it's an aftermarket air conditioning system. This image has the vent on the opposite side but who knows what model they have.

The only other possibility I can think of is something to do with one of those wacky gas-fired cabin heaters and I can't imagine a 2005 model 182 having one of those.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 19, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

for unlimited bomber range without all those pesky nuclear radiation problems why don't we just use a microwave solar system where a giant satellite beams power to the airplane continuously

you'd need at least three or four satellites to ensure constant global coverage but flying at higher altitudes would mean less atmospheric losses so it's win-win

Edit: yikes huge

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Norwegian Air's UK pilots and cabin crew will not receive April salary
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/15/norwegian-air-uk-pilots-and-cabin-crew-will-not-receive-april-salary-covid-19

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

I bet it's an aftermarket air conditioning system. This image has the vent on the opposite side but who knows what model they have.

It's absolutely the condenser fan exhaust for a vapor-cycle air refrigeration system.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

I'm surprised anybody let them do this considering insurance and OSHA etc.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Real Amethyst posted:

I'm surprised anybody let them do this considering insurance and OSHA etc.

wasnt jackass just really cleverly edited to make it look like it was more dangerous than it really was

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Inacio posted:

wasnt jackass just really cleverly edited to make it look like it was more dangerous than it really was

No one like.... died on set, but a lot of them got relatively seriously injured. I'm sure they had all sorts of weird contract wording to let them sign away their well-being.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
They had the jet on a very low power setting for the actual stunt. The extras where they’re tossing random poo poo, the jet was at a much higher throttle setting.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm amazed the owner didn't insist on having his tail number censored.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'm amazed the owner didn't insist on having his tail number censored.

Its a civilian L-39, that’s probably the least stupid thing done with it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
From what I've heard, L-39s are deathtraps. An evolved form of the Bonanza, only it kills senior executives, not rich doctors.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/42fvsNj.mp4

photoshoot

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Had memories of By Dawn's Early Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=punqdlHMDjo

If you haven't seen it, here's the entire movie on Youtube in potato quality (and maybe skip that first link as it spoils the ending): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFLtRIwMqxY

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

slidebite posted:

photoshoot

Nice that they show off the various Dubai real estate boondoggles in the distance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Munin posted:

Nice that they show off the various Dubai real estate boondoggles in the distance.

Laff, yeah I noticed that too, good lord what a dumb rear end plan that was.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

Laff, yeah I noticed that too, good lord what a dumb rear end plan that was.

When you have more money than god you can indulge all your coke plans.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Midjack posted:

It's actually kind of funny seeing the island that was gifted to Michael Schumaker and how it is the only one with anything built on it. I wonder how long before it all erodes away anyway.

https://www.iliketowastemytime.com/michael-schumachers-private-island

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Midjack posted:

And slave labor to build them with too of course

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

From what I've heard, L-39s are deathtraps. An evolved form of the Bonanza, only it kills senior executives, not rich doctors.

I wonder how this compares with it's record in Soviet/Eastern European/Other military service

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In regards to shooting down Zeppelins in the 1940s - even if regular high velocity ammunition did not work that well, there's always the 3.5 inch forward firing aircraft rocket. I bet eight of those would do the trick.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I bet a large anti aircraft gun would make it easy, too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Zeppelins are hard to shoot down in the scenario of “they’re our boys with war tubas heard them crossing the Channel and they need to be stopped before they bomb London. P.S. There’s fog.”

They are not hard to shoot down if you catch them in the open ocean, and you will because they have the RADAR profile of the Great Pyramid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tactlessbastard posted:

I bet a large anti aircraft gun would make it easy, too

A B-25 with the 75mm or even the P-39 with the T9 cannon would work OK. I guess the P-39 might have had trouble performing at altitude but it ain't like the Zeppelin is a performer at altitude. Service ceiling is 35,000 ft for the Airacobra, which is well above the practical service ceiling of a Zeppelin, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the more surreal experiences at work was when a contracted L-39 for some jammer tests was doing its final flyby on the way to land, doing a 500 feet AGL formation hollywood pass, and lost the engine. On the deck over a sea of mesquite berms is a bad place to lose an engine, but fortunately, he had a lot of speed still. The flight lead was still a few thousand feet up and spotted a disused UAV dirt strip, but no one had the fuel to really see if he was able to zoom climb and then make the landing. Plus he lost UHF when his electronics failed while still trying to deadstick line up on the dirt strip. Meanwhile, we sent a HMMWV hauling out to the last known radar contact before we lost track.

We ended up screaming down the highway at ludicrous speed and were a couple miles out from this dirt strip when the pilot sent a selfie to the project lead with the former fighter pilot looking like he was so fuckin' psyched and the non-military, non-veteran engineer/jammer operator looking like he was still at risk of dying from a heart attack.

I assume they had to take the plane apart and ground haul it out or something... It was not a big strip.