Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd give it a watch tonight but none of the Ghoulies movies seem to be streaming anywhere. I would have thought they'd be locks for Tubitv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

STAC Goat posted:

I'd give it a watch tonight but none of the Ghoulies movies seem to be streaming anywhere. I would have thought they'd be locks for Tubitv.

Sometimes it is, just not right now. I think Tubi has a rotating deal with Full Moon titles. It's probably on the Full Moon streaming service at the moment.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Ghoulies 2 now that I think of it. I liked the first one well enough but I think that's all I saw.

But NotLD is one of those movies I just stop everything and watch when I come across it. And Dawn and Day are good. And Land is ok. Diary is bad. Never seen Survival.

I thought I hadn't seen Survival, but then I came across a Facebook memories post a few weeks ago which suggests that I enjoyed it. I have zero recollection of actually watching it, but I kind of trust past me. Then again I also thought Diary was okay, so :shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I should give Diary a rewatch. I watched it right around the time found footage films were at their excess and I was being really pedantic about which movies followed "the rules" and which just did whatever they wanted to get in on the fad. Plus I was probably still annoyed by the last act of 28 Days Later and the military stuff. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Ghoulies 2 now that I think of it. I liked the first one well enough but I think that's all I saw.

But NotLD is one of those movies I just stop everything and watch when I come across it. And Dawn and Day are good. And Land is ok. Diary is bad. Never seen Survival.

I'm okay with how we don't get the little terrors earlier in Ghoulies. I really liked the house they were in. It's in the top three dream houses I would like to live in.

As far as the NOTLD run goes, Romero should've ended it with Land. Diary and Survival felt like he was only cranking them out since the expectation is Romero = Zombies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

Do your part in defeating the zombie plague!

Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College (lol what?)
https://tubitv.com/movies/369850

Ghoulies IV
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNJK8KC?camp=1789&creativeASIN=B07CNJK8KC&ie=UTF8&linkCode=xm2&tag=justwatch09-20

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Ghoulies IV is No True Goulie imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No Ghoulies but I did watch Final Destination 5, and it turns out I really liked it. And I really liked 1. And 2 was ok. 3 and 4 were poo poo. But 2.5 good or 2 good and 1 meh ain't a bad hitting percentage.

Does that beat Return? I'm torn. If I go simple numbers Return has... 1 good film. Maybe 2. Maybe 2.5. I'd probably say 1 good film and 2 half good films. But that 1 good film is better than either of FD's 2 good films. But is it better than both of them? Do I value one over two? And even though the Return bad 2 are bad I DO enjoy them more than the FD bad 2. Should that factor in and push the scales a bit?

I'm really, really conflicted but I'm out of time. I think I'm still giving it to Return, but its really, really close and I did NOT think I'd be sitting here thinking of voting for Final Destination. My hat is off.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Results! :eng101:

As expected, Night of the Living Dead just barely squeaked out a win vs the Ghoulies. And, despite a vigorous campaign on my behalf, Yuzna's unofficial continuation Return of the Living Dead has beaten the final apotheosis of the slasher in the Final Destination series.

I assumed Alien would take out Re-Animator with a NotLD-like trouncing, but Re-Animator really held its own here. I was not expecting a 2-seed to have so much trouble this early, but here we are. Personally, I don't like the Exorcist, and I think the sequels are middling at best, but here we are: Aliens vs Demons.

And with that, your Western Bracket Sweet Six-Scream are set!

Voting on Haddonfield bracket starts in a half hour or so when I get everything uploaded.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Haddonfield Voting! This is where the rubber meets the road, as all of the entries here (except Pumpkinhead, arguably) possess both a deep catalog, an all-timer entrant and not too many dire sequels. Let's see how the voting shakes out.

:siren::siren: VOTE NOW! VOTE HERE! Voting Ends 4/23! :siren::siren:

Michael Myers vs the Blair Witch. Shagadelic, baby, yeah! Wait... what's that? It's a different Michael Myers? Oh. Oh no.

Leatherface is not very appealing to look at, but he at least isn't an ugly motherfucker.

Tremors is my sweetheart pick for this tournament, I think the fact that it is all about the inherent goodness of small-town folk and hillbilly ingenuity makes it a fun movie about giant killer sandworms. That said, Christopher Lee tho. :drac:

Pumpkinhead drew a very easy road here, but I can't imagine the Stan Winston creation has anything on Lecter.

:siren::siren: VOTE NOW! VOTE HERE! Voting Ends 4/23! :siren::siren:

e: Here's what our brackets look like now:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 18, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna have to really think about that Dracula vs. Tremors vote because I just have so much nostalgia for Tremors(and even Tremors 2). But I love Hammer so much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Gonna have to watch Pumpkinhead 2 and Hannibal and/or Red Dragon before I vote.

Which of the Blair Witch sequels were good/worth watching?

edit: Return of the Living Dead had a great chance of winning against any other in its bracket, but is doomed to fail to Romero's.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 18, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^Remember Hannibal the show counts.^

I think it's important to remember: Tremors is a really good movie. Like it's a silly B-movie. But it has fun characters, cool monsters, but also a really good sense of geography. You always have a good sense of the town, where things are. It's this really important thing that you don't think about, but the film really hinges on it. It's a toss-up, but I went with Tremors with a "what would I want to throw on TV right now?" test.

Gonna flip a poo poo if the Universal Monsters get bested by Chucky or Jason though.

Also, campaigning hard that Evil Dead or Scream should beat Nightmare.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
People don't talk enough about how good Predator 2 is. Predator 2 is a perfect example of how to do a sequel. It takes what worked in the original but moves it to a different location, with different characters. It's bigger than the first and expands on the lore in a way that feels natural. It codifies stuff implied in the first without limiting itself. And it has a fantastic performance from Danny Glover, which all sequels should have.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tremors also has great editing and camera work, which no one ever brings up.

An iconic shot is the pole vaulting on the rocks in rhythm. It’s not just because it’s pretty. It is three people, two rednecks and a learned scientist, working together through problem solving and outsmarting the monster, by being clever and using what they have on hand. They move together in sync because they are equals trying to overcome something bigger than them. It’s a great moment that shows what Tremors is all about, in about 5 seconds.

Bookending this shot is Val and Earl jokingly competing over who’s the better pole vaulter and the three jumping into the truck at the same time, Val and Earl punching tentacles and Rhonda driving a truck with her hands, legs through a window.

Perfect monster movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tremors may well be the best movie in the matchup overall but I love Horror of Dracula, Prince of Darkness, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, and A.D 1972 so it's a tough decision.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

People don't talk enough about how good Predator 2 is. Predator 2 is a perfect example of how to do a sequel. It takes what worked in the original but moves it to a different location, with different characters. It's bigger than the first and expands on the lore in a way that feels natural. It codifies stuff implied in the first without limiting itself. And it has a fantastic performance from Danny Glover, which all sequels should have.

Predator 2 IS a good sequel. And it's a sequel to a movie that absolutely doesn't need a sequel; it does something different while trying to be a little similar (even though it changes the drama, too); and it has a great cast.

However, it's competing against Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 which is one of the greatest horror sequels of all time. It has Dennis Hopper in a cowboy outfit duel wielding chainsaws,

Bill Mosely as a music-obsessed Vietnam vet with a metal plate in his head,

and sees the family from the original a commercial success with their cannibalistic barbecue.

It leans heavily into the phallic imagery of a giant chainsaw.

It's also the only other good interpretation of Leatherface.

Basebf555 posted:

Tremors may well be the best movie in the matchup overall but I love Horror of Dracula, Prince of Darkness, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, and A.D 1972 so it's a tough decision.

Oh yeah, the problem is Tremors is the best movie of the bunch, but Dracula's are consistently good whereas even Tremors 2 is a step down from the original. You easily named 5 Dracula movies, and I don't even think about watching Tremors 3, despite thinking it's fine.

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."
Seeing that Michael Mann's Manhunter is included with the Lecterverse I feel compelled to share my favorite Hannibal Lecter via Brian Cox, though I enjoy all the adaptations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN244X4OiLQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Predator 2 isn't just a great sequel, it's a great movie by itself. The depiction of a crime-ridden, global warmingified future Los Angeles oozes character in practically every shot. It's great social satire and great sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dtMPVLDB2s

Dialogue from Predator 2 was sampled in a Sister Souljah song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcWgPEUT_x0

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Hammer Dracula movies might be the most overhyped thing in horror to me. Like, the performance anchoring the movies are good but the films overall are mostly trash. These votes were all super easy for me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sarx posted:

Hammer Dracula movies might be the most overhyped thing in horror to me. Like, the performance anchoring the movies are good but the films overall are mostly trash. These votes were all super easy for me.

I agree with most of this. They're pretty movies with great sets but they're rather dull.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Including Manhunter made that vote easy for me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You like Pumpkinhead enough that the choice was hard before?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Predator is a perfect movie.

Unfortunately it's going up against two perfect films and has a lot of dead weight of its own.

Tremors is also a perfect movie and the first sequel is at least fun and the TV series is better than it has any right to be. I love Lee, but there's a reason he didn't talk in much of them and the best one wasn't even made by Hammer

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

You like Pumpkinhead enough that the choice was hard before?

I dislike the other lecter movies that much!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'm going to watch the Tremors sequels over the next few days. Is it worth me trying to hunt down the Pumpkinhead sequels at all? I mean the first one was fine and it's a cool monster design but I can't find a stream anywhere and eeeeeh.

Hammer Drac is just so good I'm sad at the prospect of losing it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BisonDollah posted:

I'm going to watch the Tremors sequels over the next few days. Is it worth me trying to hunt down the Pumpkinhead sequels at all? I mean the first one was fine and it's a cool monster design but I can't find a stream anywhere and eeeeeh.

Hammer Drac is just so good I'm sad at the prospect of losing it.

You do not need to track down the Pumpkinhead sequels. One is only 'good' in that is features the obvious idea of summoning a Pumpkinhead to fight another Pumpkinhead

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Despite its presence in the tournament, I don't think I knew Pumpkinhead 3 and 4 existed until now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Franchescanado posted:

Which of the Blair Witch sequels were good/worth watching?
Book of Secrets has a weird metaplot going on with poo poo you'll probably need a wikipage to get the whole view of. The screenwriters were really, really proud of "The Secret of Esrever" and making the most Hollywood sequel to a found footage film really alienated whatever fans were around.
E// actually, I realized my writeup might be biased a bit. Book of Shadows is unconventional and a definite departure from what was expected of a sequel. It does have some aspirations, so it's not a soulless cash in, and the director did give some nods to horror flicks. Here's what he said about the themes:
"This goes back to one of my core themes of this movie is that we, as a society, have so blurred the lines between fiction and reality, that we’re so willing to believe that The Blair Witch Project was… a real documentary, because we’re very lazy in our consumption of media"

The Woods/ Blair Witch is ok. Think the original with a slightly better budget and some CGI work... which may or may not be your cup of tea. I thought it was competent and had one or two interesting elements but it didn't really stick with me or make me feel like it needed to be made.

I do urge everyone to remember the insanely awesome short that ran on the SciFi channel in the lead up to the film, Curse of the Blair Witch. It really gave the film that extra mystique and weird Mysteries of the Unknown vibe thanks to "found" old footage. Arguably one of the best things to come out of the film's marketing.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 19, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The screenwriters were really, really proud of "The Secret of Esrever"
hell yeah man I love to just literally write the word "reverse" in reverse and then just :hmmyes: to myself for days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FilthyImp posted:

Book of Secrets has a weird metaplot going on with poo poo you'll probably need a wikipage to get the whole view of. The screenwriters were really, really proud of "The Secret of Esrever" and making the most Hollywood sequel to a found footage film really alienated whatever fans were around.
E// actually, I realized my writeup might be biased a bit. Book of Shadows is unconventional and a definite departure from what was expected of a sequel. It does have some aspirations, so it's not a soulless cash in, and the director did give some nods to horror flicks. Here's what he said about the themes:
"This goes back to one of my core themes of this movie is that we, as a society, have so blurred the lines between fiction and reality, that we’re so willing to believe that The Blair Witch Project was… a real documentary, because we’re very lazy in our consumption of media"

The Woods/ Blair Witch is ok. Think the original with a slightly better budget and some CGI work... which may or may not be your cup of tea. I thought it was competent and had one or two interesting elements but it didn't really stick with me or make me feel like it needed to be made.

I do urge everyone to remember the insanely awesome short that ran on the SciFi channel in the lead up to the film, Curse of the Blair Witch. It really gave the film that extra mystique and weird Mysteries of the Unknown vibe thanks to "found" old footage. Arguably one of the best things to come out of the film's marketing.

Curse of the Blair Witch was part of the viral marketing and provides essential backstory for the movie. Specifically, it's where you learn that Rustin Parr's house was destroyed. So all the complaints about "why didn't they follow the river" are meaningless - once the weird poo poo began, they weren't in 1995 any more.

Book of Secrets is an odd fish. I walked out of it when it started contradicting the original. But then I wondered if that was the point, so I gave it a second try and it turned out that it was. (Before you ask, I pay a subscription for unlimited viewings.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blair Witch 2 taught me that if you just throw some random nonsensical mysterious things into the print as the makings of a scavenger hunt that goes nowhere there will people who will get excited about your movie no matter how not great your movie is.

Also the director was a documentarian who had a grudge against The Blair Witch Project because he felt the found footage and viral marketing besmirched the dignity of documentaries or something weird.

I re-watched it in March to see if I was missing something. I'm sure I missed a backwards word or line of ialogue somewhere or something but I also feel content saying its a bad, mess of a movie.

But then again maybe "that was the point"? In which case I still don't like it and now I don't like the filmmaker either.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Book of Shadows is a weird duck for me. It's better than it's reputation and still not exactly good, maybe barely scraping ok, but for me it's more fun to watch than Blair Witch Project after an initial viewing.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Book of Shadows owns - despite being a bit of a weird watch, it comes together in the end.

Tremors 2 was okay, it was nice to see the original cast in 3 and the cowboy one is pretty loving boring. Jamie loving Kennedy is in the latest sequels? Oh boy. As cool as the first was I find it hard to entertain the thought these films bring more than Christopher DRACULA Lee.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jamie Kennedy isn't nearly as annoying in the Tremors sequels. I thought I would really hate them but they're both better than the cowboy one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Shrecknet, would you be able to post the original, complete version of the bracket with the full 64 on it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'll do you one better

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/185C0JcbRoBBdgzb6lww_eqGZn7ZRLL2sJ-51VmSizHQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

Jamie Kennedy isn't nearly as annoying in the Tremors sequels. I thought I would really hate them but they're both better than the cowboy one.

Tremors 5 is a whole different discussion than Tremors 6 for me. I actually liked Tremors 5, and agreed with your comment about Jamie Kennedy, he was fine it it. But Tremors 6 was just annoying, and I'm not even sure how to explain it. All the sudden the characters, even Burt, were just grating assholes and I had a hard time not rooting for them to get eaten.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Tremors 5 is a whole different discussion than Tremors 6 for me. I actually liked Tremors 5, and agreed with your comment about Jamie Kennedy, he was fine it it. But Tremors 6 was just annoying, and I'm not even sure how to explain it. All the sudden the characters, even Burt, were just grating assholes and I had a hard time not rooting for them to get eaten.

Yeah I’ve seen every movie and the one season of the TV show and 6 was the only one I didn’t enjoy. I even liked the stupid cowboy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't Burt always kind of a dick? I mean, not enough for me to want him to get eaten by a giant worm but enough for it to make sense that Reba leaves him because he can't cope with the Cold War being over.

I'm finishing up 2 now and reserving my vote until I can see if I can burn through at least enough of these to give it a fair play. 2 ain't half bad. A clear step down on the original but still a fairly fun B monster flick.

But I'm also kind of debating weighing into the Predator pool now since TCM is kind of wearing me out with the later entries and I sorta want to give Predator a chance to beat it.

Halloween and Hannibal are probably easy votes for me.