Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Checked the grips, it's not that.

I'm gonna assume it was bad fuel and try not to worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s been windy here lately and I gotta say stay safe, there’s a lot of Bloomberg signs blowing around.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No further problems over the next 2 tanks. I also got around to doing my fuel cost sheet, and while I usually get 5-5.5l/100km that tank was 6.9l/100km and now it's back down again, so I'm gonna assume that was the problem.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s also possible your motorcycle has soul.

* this means flaky and unreliable, but in a charming way

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Got off my rear end and rode a couple hours to the mountains today. Went across the range on this route, then back, then across again and then the couple hours home.

Pretty loving fun, would have been a lot better if people would keep their cars at least mostly on their own side of the road. Was fairly cautious the first time across, but picked up speed on the second trip to the point where nobody was coming up behind me, and I even overtook a few cars by the last trip. People getting half their car over the line in blind turns are loving terrifying though.

And the view from the top's amazing.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 15, 2020

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Got my first bike (Triumph Tiger 800 2011) (and a dumb newbie learning permit) and the front fork seals are leaking already :britain:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Got my first bike (Triumph Tiger 800 2011) (and a dumb newbie learning permit) and the front fork seals are leaking already :britain:

Too many wheelies?

Try something like this first as it's cheap and easy. https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Sealmate/dp/B002FDMFRQ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get a gopro.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Anyone have any recommendations for boots to fit a 2E or 4E width foot? I was looking at a couple of pairs that claim to fit "wide" but when I emailed the distributor they said they weren't intended for a 2E width or wider.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Jcam posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for boots to fit a 2E or 4E width foot? I was looking at a couple of pairs that claim to fit "wide" but when I emailed the distributor they said they weren't intended for a 2E width or wider.

Go to a local shop and try on every boot?
I am typically a 4E, and Dainese feel pretty good to me.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Well, I mean I had been doing that, but there's something happening currently that prevents me from going into non-essential businesses for casual browsing.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jcam posted:

I have somewhat wide feet and my klim outlanders fit very well. I'd recommend just buying a couple brands from revzilla and then just returning what doesn't fit since their policy is pretty good

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Gaerne is supposed to be good for wide feet, but I don’t know about 4E. For dirt or ADV boots, I really like calling and talking to Brian at atomic-moto. https://www.atomic-moto.com/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean I have problematic wide feet and the Forma Adventures are perfect, if you want to toss that into the search.

I think i need to replace my formas this year. :sigh: It's been 40k and a lot of hiking and the inner lining is wearing through at the back.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

builds character posted:

Too many wheelies?

Try something like this first as it's cheap and easy. https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Sealmate/dp/B002FDMFRQ

Nah, I ride like a grandma still. Apparently the seals on this model go bad pretty often so that tool looks like a thing I should have, thanks.

quote:

Get a gopro
Ill consider it once im confident enough to ride this thing to either murmansk or the Belarus side of the chernobyl isolation zone, dont think that will be possible until 2022 at this rate though.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 18, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ill consider it once im confident enough to ride this thing to either murmansk or the Belarus side of the chernobyl isolation zone, dont think that will be possible until 2022 at this rate though.

No he (we) mean get a gopro NOW so that we have entertainment watching that thing make you it's bitch in 1-3 months. 100hp behemoth for your first bike on a learner license?!

Anyway I think it's pretty and I second the seal saver suggestion. Surprisingly, they actually work (I did too many wheelies on the 690).

Wish I could ride to/through chernobyl.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Coydog posted:

No he (we) mean get a gopro NOW so that we have entertainment watching that thing make you it's bitch in 1-3 months. 100hp behemoth for your first bike on a learner license?!

Yup, I think I probably should have went for something smaller. I haven't crashed anything for almost 20 years and even drove for a living so I might stand a chance though. :unsmith:

(also you have to pass the fairly hard handling exam before you get the permit here)

quote:

Anyway I think it's pretty and I second the seal saver suggestion. Surprisingly, they actually work (I did too many wheelies on the 690).

Tried it today and seems to hold so far.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 18, 2020

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I've been riding my friend's Indian Scout Bobber for the last couple of weeks for a few hours a day, been having a lot of fun learning fundamentals and getting used to the roads. Just need a good pair of boots and pants and I'll be honoring the ATGATT general rule.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drove for a living

How many hp is your mustang

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How many hp is your mustang

To be fair "I drove for a living" and "I can handle power because of my 400HP mustang" are quite different statements. Having a developed sense for traffic patterns and what idiocy other drivers get up to on the road is certainly of help when learning to ride. I mean, it won't help you learn how to trail brake into a corner or anything, but it might keep you out of serious trouble that your bike handling skills can't yet get you out of.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Over the last few weeks I’ve somehow gotten lazy on the front brake compared to the rear. Yesterday I practiced aggressive braking on a familiar road and I activated the rear ABS when I still had plenty of front brake to spare.

I guess learn from me? Stay familiar with your brakes. I know I shouldn’t rely on it but I don’t think I’ll ever own a bike without ABS :goleft:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you understand the weight transfer that happens when you brake? As the combined meat/machine mass pitches forward, it it increases the ground pressure on the front tire (meaning bigger footprint, more friction, thus more grip) while simultaneously doing the opposite for the rear.

So really the harder you brake, the less you need the rear, especially on a small bike that unloads the rear easily. In practice this means that you can sometimes be braking steadily with the rear no problems, but increasing front brake pressure a little is just enough to unload the rear too much > lock the tire > activate abs intervention. On some bikes you can use this effect to do very amusing pseudo-back-ins by tipping in while still dragging the rear brake - the slight unloading from adding a little lean is enough to break loose the tyre and get a little slide going. Works great on scooters!

The one and only (non-off-road related) argument against abs: if you're still learning, it makes it very hard to know if you've locked the front or are doing a stoppie because both lead to ABS intervention.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The weight distribution explanation makes sense. It didn’t feel like I was on the rear brake that much but I must not have properly accounted for how much weight I was removing from the tire at the same time.

I didn’t need to do it, just haven’t practiced “oh poo poo” stuff in awhile :shrug:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

still learning [...] non-off-road [...] doing a stoppie
:raise:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean yeah? I got taught to deliberately lock the front and deal with it, I learned to stoppie on purpose years later; obviously they feel quite different. But if you have abs and have never done either of those things, you have no way of knowing what kind of whoopsie you just had and why, you just know the ABS triggered for whatever reason.

I don't think grabbing for dear life and letting the abs sort it out is a good way to operate in the long term, and it's very much worth pulling the fuse and locking+releasing the front a few times in a car park at low speed - you don't just instantly crash, it's easily controllable if you were smart enough to get a small bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is a stoppie simply getting your rear wheel off the ground or is it traveling for some distance with your rear off in a controlled manner? I think the former almost anyone can do but the latter would take quite a bit of practice.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pun pundit posted:

To be fair "I drove for a living" and "I can handle power because of my 400HP mustang" are quite different statements. Having a developed sense for traffic patterns and what idiocy other drivers get up to on the road is certainly of help when learning to ride. I mean, it won't help you learn how to trail brake into a corner or anything, but it might keep you out of serious trouble that your bike handling skills can't yet get you out of.

I know, I’m just joshin him. Giving him the business. Takin the piss. Having a goof.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Is a stoppie simply getting your rear wheel off the ground or is it traveling for some distance with your rear off in a controlled manner? I think the former almost anyone can do but the latter would take quite a bit of practice.

Just like with wheelies, they're the same thing and it's mostly a difference of magnitude. Almost anyone can get the front to bounce up a bit, but it takes a lot more skill to clutch up and do a big long willy-waver. Stoppies are actually easier because you just keep doing the same thing harder and for longer, always with the one same control. Big wheelies have the added complication of the clutch and rear brake getting involved which is much more complex to learn without crashing.

But what I'm getting at is: how do you know if you've just harmlessly popped up the rear a bit, or if you've just dodged an almost certain crash, when the only information you have is the abs buzzing and no experience to work it out from context?

Just to be clear: buy abs bikes, they are cool and good and save crashes, there's no reason not to. But don't ride around 'knowing' the abs will always be there to help you. It's a backup for when knowing what you're doing isn't quite enough, it isn't an outright replacement for knowing what you're doing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there anything inherently wrong with shifting slowly and feathering the clutch in and out at higher speeds, or should I be aiming to make my shifts quick by being super fast on the clutch? I don't know if that's a dumb question because riding circumstances could be different based on the situation, but I find that I tend to shift slowly and methodically whereas I see a ton of vloggers just grab and dump clutch in normal city driving. I'm not trying to pick up technique from vloggers but it just kind of made me wonder whether I'm learning a bad habit.

I won't say I never shift quickly, but I think a lot of the time my rev-matching is uneven so I feather to compensate. Is the idea that once I get better at rev-matching my shifting speed will improve?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
just shift when the engine says it's ok to there's no rocket science behind it modern clutches are very forgiving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah don't sweat it. Motorcycle clutches can be slipped all day long without problems. It's definitely better to slip the clutch more than to bang it into place and pop it out too suddenly, as that can cause all sorts of bad driveline shock and destabilize the vehicle.

You'll get faster as you gain experience but you don't need to be shifting like a MotoGP racer. On the street, smoother is better than faster every time.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Along the same lines. When I'm slowing for a stop I'll often keep the throttle open just enough so when I clutch in it gives me a nice rev match for the next lower gear. Am I hurting anything by pulling the clutch in while still having some throttle input in?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks. Less about when to shift and more just technique. I have a fairly good grasp of what the appropriate gear to be in is based on engine ... feel? ... but sometimes my shifting is still a little unnatural. If everything is forgiving then I’m just not gonna worry about it as you suggested and just let my technique evolve naturally.

My biggest worry was in graining a bad habit, like my love of death-gripping the bars that I’m desperately working to wean myself off of before it kills me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

blista compact posted:

Along the same lines. When I'm slowing for a stop I'll often keep the throttle open just enough so when I clutch in it gives me a nice rev match for the next lower gear. Am I hurting anything by pulling the clutch in while still having some throttle input in?

You are actually legally required to blip the throttle with every downshift you make.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You can even blip the throttle and not bother with the clutch

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If it's not going like BRRRNNnnnnnnn are you even downshifting?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Anyone have some recommendations for parking lot drills/anywhere drills I could practice while socially distancing myself from everyone? I'm close to hitting the first 1000km on a bike and am worried that without constructive feedback I'm developing a whole giant mess of bad habits.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you’re USA, did you do the MSF? That showed me what I sucked at, so I would start with their curriculum of activities.

For me it was the box. I hosed it up so bad in my course. On a cool note, I was practicing my 8’s the other day and was locking my bars. Felt bad rear end.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm in Canada, I had my MSF-equivalent course scheduled for April 20th but the rider training school is closed for the foreseeable future. I've tentatively rescheduled for July 30th but I don't think they'll be operational again by then.

I'll try to track down their curriculum and go from there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Work on braking drills. Start at about 20 mph in a straight line and work on shortening your braking distance and increasing the speed of your brake engagement from zero to the most you're comfortable with. Then work on increasing the amount you're comfortable with squeezing. Figure out what it feels like to lock the rear up.

Work on maintaining a straight line as slow as possible, holding your engine speed constant and controlling your moving speed with your clutch. This is good for developing your ability to maintain balance with your core and legs rather than your arms through the bars. The effect on the bike's balance of your body weight on the footpegs really becomes clear when you do this a bunch.

Work on turning drills. Put down a cone or some kind of soft marker and work on circling it in both directions as close as you can at slow speeds without braking, controlling your speed with the clutch instead of the throttle. Especially focus on pointing your chin in the direction of your turns.