Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Keyser_Soze posted:

We have this discussion every year, "Frisco" was used in literature in the 60's like in particular, Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe and also by skeezy bikers up and down the coast. It's mostly the recent east coast invaders that get all worked up by it. :clint:

not that recent: people would scoff at it in the 90s too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Does anyone use the term Frisco that isn't a Stockton/sacramento drug dealer?

lol u dumbass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oijl26Dyz58

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Keyser_Soze posted:

We have this discussion every year, "Frisco" was used in literature in the 60's like in particular, Hunter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe and also by skeezy bikers up and down the coast. It's mostly the recent east coast invaders that get all worked up by it. :clint:

Emperor Norton as well :colbert:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

also working class people who grew up in SF, which means mostly minorities these days. Its especially popular among poor black SF natives.

in my experience most people who poo poo talk "frisco" are upper middle class/wealthy, or transplants who heard that they're supposed to hate it lol. Herb Caen probably helped make it popular to hate that name more than anyone else in recent-ish decades, and he was a transplant himself, who later admitted that it has deep working class roots in the city (he used dockworkers as his example), and he was wrong to say people can't say it. Of course rich people will still accuse you of being "low class" or from Oklahoma or Oakland or LA or whatever, if you say it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

not that recent: people would scoff at it in the 90s too

yeah, transplants

also, rich people

also, racist people

like many things in America, the tale of "Frisco" is a tale of poor people/minorities having something, and then the wealthy trying to erase it because they don't like it

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I should probably read Talbot's Season of the Witch at some point

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

When I lived in the Bay Area, Sacramento, just regular folk out and about called it Frisco. Hard to hate on the term used by the locals

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I gently caress with this hard. Every time I've said the word Frisco I'm asked if I am from Stockton or Sac and met with a guffaw or an instant recoil

Okay maybe it's because I'm in the North Bay area and everyone calls SF "the city".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 19, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

bawfuls posted:

This thread title is an act of Northern Aggression

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
We should use the name that Tom Metzger's White Aryan Resistance used for many years on their WAR Hotline recorded telephone messages before they got sued into oblivion: San Fag Sicko

charming fellow

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
if I were to observe a situation the required physical enforcement of public health guidelines in a pandemic i would simply spontaneously form an anarcho-syndicalist commune with my neighbors, bing bong, so simple.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Still Dismal posted:

if I were to observe a situation the required physical enforcement of public health guidelines in a pandemic i would simply spontaneously form an anarcho-syndicalist commune with my neighbors, bing bong, so simple.

Gavin's your man dude. He'd inciting insurrection against the fed government so he can be president of the callofornia syndicate commune

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gavin's your man dude. He'd inciting insurrection against the fed government so he can be president of the callofornia syndicate commune

And he's still running on a centrist liberal capitalist platform.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I gently caress with this hard. Every time I've said the word Frisco I'm asked if I am from Stockton or Sac and met with a guffaw or an instant recoil

Okay maybe it's because I'm in the North Bay area and everyone calls SF "the city".

W-Wait not everyone calls it "the City"?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

On the peninsula people just say "city".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"Haha, you SoCal people are weird for adding 'The' in front of freeway numbers"

*goes into multi page derail about regional dialects for a city name*

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

DrSunshine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqQW7nNwg8

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least we can all agree that this sounds silly:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FCKGW posted:

"Haha, you SoCal people are weird for adding 'The' in front of freeway numbers"

*goes into multi page derail about regional dialects for a city name*

These poor fucks have to live in the bay area. Let them have their comforts.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The argument I actually made is none of those things, but rather that cops are an inherently violent and unaccountable force that ultimately answers to capital and not to the people, and you should only call them if the situation is life-threatening, and in an ideal world the community would band together to fulfill that function.
I would feel more comfortable contacting the police if it wasn't a potentially putting someone in a deadly situation. Maybe not having every cop carry a gun is a good start, but it doesn't address the issue that policing does more to protect property than people.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Nah, some people change after I've beaten it out of them a few times. :v: My favorites, though, are people who live in San Jose calling San Francisco "the city."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

predicto posted:

We should use the name that Tom Metzger's White Aryan Resistance used for many years on their WAR Hotline recorded telephone messages before they got sued into oblivion: San Fag Sicko

charming fellow

absolutely incredible leather jacket material

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Don't know why you guys don't call the freeways by their full names

The San Diego freeway

The riverside freeway

The Costa mesa freeway

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Be like Chicago where people only use the names and if you aren't from there then you need to cross-reference with a map to figure out what someone is trying to tell you.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Spent 6 years in LA and 3 years in the Bay Area. I say hella because it’s hella good and useful.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I say hella because I need to bring a little piece of California with me wherever I go

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

withak posted:

Be like Chicago where people only use the names and if you aren't from there then you need to cross-reference with a map to figure out what someone is trying to tell you.

Just take the Dan Ryan to the Eisenhower

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Could be worse: People insisting Fresno should be "Fresyes".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Goodpancakes posted:

And don't expect the signs to tell you whether you are about to get on the Dan Ryan or some other nonsense garbage road.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Goodpancakes posted:

Southern California used to be like this. I don't get the logic of the San Diego Freeway being 70 miles from San Diego.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It goes to San Diego

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Rainbow Knight posted:

The San Diego freeway

The riverside freeway

The Costa mesa freeway

no

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rainbow Knight posted:

The San Diego freeway

The riverside freeway

The Costa mesa freeway

The what now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CPColin posted:

It goes to San Diego
It goes from the valley to Irvine

I do still regularly forget what number the Pasadena freeway is though because I always heard it referred to by name growing up

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bawfuls posted:

It goes from the valley to Irvine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Freeway :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Multiple freeways are called the San Diego Freeway and one freeway can have multiple names. It’s very confusing!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
As a transplant from the East Coast, there are many things I find confusing about your highways and how they are referred to... but the absolute worst part is the fact that highway off ramps are allergic to Exit numbers.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Nybble posted:

As a transplant from the East Coast, there are many things I find confusing about your highways and how they are referred to... but the absolute worst part is the fact that highway off ramps are allergic to Exit numbers.

I've been seeing them more and more along Highway 99. Like over the last 5 years. I know there used to be almost none.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I hate the highway offramp numbers and how Google tells you what offramp to use by exit number.

Tell me the name of the goddam street, Google! That thing that's in big letters, easy to read as I fly on by? Yeah that one. Not the one in little letters on a small sign right by the offramp.

I hate it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Nah, exit numbers are great for situations like where Mission crosses the freeway multiple times. That one got generations of new drivers on the way to San Jose.