Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Can someone recommend a kid friendly game? One of my kids is getting interested in gaming but she's 6 and has 0 experience so things with fail state and controls more complex than an analog stick + single button (maybe 2) are out of her league for now. I have a pretty recent PC, Switch, and PS4. To give you an idea of what she likes: right now she's just touring stardew valley by waking up, walking around, and going back to bed at 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Horn posted:

Can someone recommend a kid friendly game? One of my kids is getting interested in gaming but she's 6 and has 0 experience so things with fail state and controls more complex than an analog stick + single button (maybe 2) are out of her league for now. I have a pretty recent PC, Switch, and PS4. To give you an idea of what she likes: right now she's just touring stardew valley by waking up, walking around, and going back to bed at 6.

Pokemon, Minecraft, Slime Rancher.... probably more that I'm not thinking of. Slime Rancher especially should be looked at.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Horn posted:

Maybe the lego games? I have Lego Star Wars: The complete saga and is pretty good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mario Odyssey and Kirby are probably better for getting them into "real" games. Nintendo likes to really give players tutorials. Breath of the Wild might be okay, but it's so open that they might just get lost and killed by something they're not supposed to be fighting.

Although I think odds are that what will draw your kid's attention will be something that's not so much a game with goals and challenges but something that's more of a toy where you can do things that get reactions. I don't know what's like that these days though. You might could get your kid hooked on Animal Crossing, but no guarantees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

double nine posted:

I could use a recommendation for 3-player multiplayer co-op, for laptops not built for gaming (lenovo-types).

I'm thinking maybe broforce, monaco: what's yours is mine and/or maybe factorio if my desktop is the host? Any other recommendations?
A few pages back but distrust? Not sure performance wise

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elswyyr posted:

I want some 2-player coop multiplayer. I've already played most of the obvious names I think, like Portal 2, Orcs Must Die, Left 4 Dead, Saint's Row 3/4. Something where me and my friend can gently caress around and do things.
Rampage Knights

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a good story-heavy PS4 game for my wife and I to enjoy. We're just looking for something with fun enough gameplay and a fun story. Perhaps RPG focused. Preferably voice acted so we're not having to sit and read.

Games she's enjoyed watching in the past: Uncharted series, Yakuza series, Spider-Man, God of War, The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest 11, multiple Final Fantasy games.

Alternatively, we'd love a couch co-op PS4 game.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 16, 2020

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a good story-heavy PS4 game for my wife and I to enjoy. We're just looking for something with fun enough gameplay and a fun story. Perhaps RPG focused. Preferably voice acted so we're not having to sit and read.

Games she's enjoyed watching in the past: Uncharted series, Yakuza series, Spider-Man, God of War, The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest 11, multiple Final Fantasy games.

If you haven't played it yet, Horizon Zero Dawn is the correct answer to this question.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Nier automata

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Uncle Ulty posted:

If you haven't played it yet, Horizon Zero Dawn is the correct answer to this question.

Droyer posted:

Nier automata

Played both of those already.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sleeping dags.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Alternatively, we'd love a couch co-op PS4 game.
Probably not exactly what you’re asking for, but my SO really enjoyed watching me play through the Resident Evil games, but your mileage may vary there if she’s not into horror.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Horn posted:

When I was that age I really loved playing platformers (Commander Keen, in particular) with god mode turned on so I could just wander around impervious to enemies and see new areas.

Not to necessarily say you should try her on a DOS game that's almost as old as I am, but surely cheat codes haven't completely disappeared from modern gaming.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Could somebody recommend me a cargo transport/logistics-focused game? I enjoyed Euro Truck Simulator 2/ATS and bounced off X3 and Elite Dangerous, though I'll happily take either of those games as an answer- the bouncing was less "I'm not having fun" and more "I don't know what the crap to do and don't feel like keeping three wikis open in the other window"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Horn posted:

Untitled goose game, Journey, Abzu

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Could somebody recommend me a cargo transport/logistics-focused game? I enjoyed Euro Truck Simulator 2/ATS and bounced off X3 and Elite Dangerous, though I'll happily take either of those games as an answer- the bouncing was less "I'm not having fun" and more "I don't know what the crap to do and don't feel like keeping three wikis open in the other window"

Having played around with X3 for a while for the same reasons, I can say it isn't great as a space trucking sim. The experience is obfuscated by the game's reliance on menus. Earning the kind of money needed to upgrade and buy new ships requires automating a fleet of traders or remotely operating them which is basically just a whole lot of clicking in menus.

That said, there is a similiar kind of fun to be had mining asteroid fields and (if you install one of the mega-mods that add more content) exploring systems for abandoned ships and goods to salvage. That part is actually pretty cool. If you do want to dive into it again, somebody linked me this thread which is a bit out of date but provides a good starting point: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552115

Freelancer is still good fun for space truckin'. Avoid mods though, they are primarily focused on pvp and roleplaying on multiplayer servers.

Sunless Skies has a lot of story in it, but the trading/logistics aspect of it is really satisfying.

The ANNO Series satisfied the trading itch for me, but it is also a city builder so keep that in mind. It can be a ton of fun setting up a series of trading routes and colonies to feed your empire. ANNO 1404, ANNO 2205 and ANNO 1800 are all good, so really just choose the setting (renaissance, far-future or the industrial revolution) that interests you.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 16, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Omi no Kami posted:

Do you want to be the trucker, or the logistics planner?

If the latter, my dude, Factorio. Also Satisfactory, Wilmot's Warehouse. To a lesser degree Infinifactory maybe? That one's more a puzzle game

If the former, Spintires/Mudrunner - no economy here, just chillass log delivery through mud.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'ma pretty much toss all of those on a wishlist to try- thanks guys! (I actually got a decent amount of the way through Factorio, but I think I threw in the towel around the second tier when I had to optimize my oil production. Either way though holy crap what a great game.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, I've never made it past oil production, that stuff makes my head hurt

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My wife enjoys games like Animal Crossing but is looking for something with maybe a few more level-up/RPG elements. She gets very frustrated with platformers and the like, so something low-stress but with growth/character development elements may be just her style. Are there any recommendations that fit for this kind of gamer?

Platforms available: PC, Switch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FreshFeesh posted:

My wife enjoys games like Animal Crossing but is looking for something with maybe a few more level-up/RPG elements. She gets very frustrated with platformers and the like, so something low-stress but with growth/character development elements may be just her style. Are there any recommendations that fit for this kind of gamer?

Stardew Valley
My Time at Portia

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seconding Stardew

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lost in Blue.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FreshFeesh posted:

Rune Factory for switch or if you have an old 3DS lying around/PC can run Citra, Fantasy Life

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

have you played transport tycoon deluxe? its obviously a very different kind of game than those, its an old real time strategy game about building rail and road networks, however if you are looking for a game about cargo transport and logistics its about as pure as you can get. once you get over the graphics it can be really addicting. and while its quite old, there is a dedicated community of nerds who continue to release updates (as OpenTTD) even today

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2020

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Much obliged! We looked at Stardew but it wasn't quite her speed. My Time at Portia looks great though

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We have a Management games Megathread here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901789 Logistics, Factories, Sims all discussed and reviewed. Happy to give recommendations.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 16, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There needs to be more (modern) games like Stardew/Portia.

My wife also loves games like that (hell, we're in the middle of a multiplayer replay of Stardew currently) but she has trouble going back to older games that are similar due to the lack of the gameplay conveniences of the modern titles.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When I was that age I really loved playing platformers (Commander Keen, in particular) with god mode turned on so I could just wander around impervious to enemies and see new areas.

Not to necessarily say you should try her on a DOS game that's almost as old as I am, but surely cheat codes haven't completely disappeared from modern gaming.

This is a great idea, I considered finding a cheat in some sonic game but between work and being a part time teacher haven't had the will to dig into seeing if it could be done.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I tried Portia for a few hours but it seemed kinda amateur and underdeveloped compared to other farming/management games. Maybe it was too early on? I love the genre with all my heart.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh if you want Minecraft/Stardew indie fusion, look at Staxel. It's pretty neat!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Omi no Kami posted:

I'ma pretty much toss all of those on a wishlist to try- thanks guys! (I actually got a decent amount of the way through Factorio, but I think I threw in the towel around the second tier when I had to optimize my oil production. Either way though holy crap what a great game.)

I got one more, it doesn't really have anything to do with logistics or transportation, but it might hit that vibe. For some reason it seems very similar to Spintires to me.

Viscera Cleanup Detail - you're a janitor cleaning up guts and debris after some terrible space catastrophe. You put guts and trash into a box, carry the box to an incinerator, mop the floors, fill in the bullet holes and put all boxes and barrels in their place. There's an element of figuring out what to get rid of in what order to save yourself unnecessary work later. It's an incredibly chill game about carrying stuff back and forth, and it's very satisfying to restore a level completely covered with blood and guts and trash into it's original condition.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend a mechanically-deep strategy, RPG or action game released in the last 1-2 years that would run on a laptop with integrated graphics?

I'm pretty keen on in the last 1-2 years, if it's older than that I've probably already played it.

Games along the line of what I'm looking for:
Rimworld, Battle Brothers, Caves of Qud, Horizon's Gate

I've tried Stoneshard and didn't really vibe with it. I've been playing Urtuk: The Desolation and it's fun but it's not grabbing me the same way Battle Brothers did. I've also played, uhh, I forget the name of it but that Final Fantasy Tactics-like game that came out about a year ago but was underwhelmed by the character/class development

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 19, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend a mechanically-deep strategy, RPG or action game released in the last 1-2 years that would run on a laptop with integrated graphics?

Wargroove

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I'm pretty keen on in the last 1-2 years, if it's older than that I've probably already played it.

I've tried Stoneshard and didn't really vibe with it. I've been playing Urtuk: The Desolation and it's fun but it's not grabbing me the same way Battle Brothers did. I've also played, uhh, I forget the name of it but that Final Fantasy Tactics-like game that came out about a year ago but was underwhelmed by the character/class development

Did you mean Fell Seal?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any games (probably in the survival genre, but not necessarily) where you play a wild or feral animal, scavenging for food, etc?

Rain World is almost the perfect example but I'm looking for something with even less pressure to "progress" forwards, and maybe a little easier.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any games (probably in the survival genre, but not necessarily) where you play a wild or feral animal, scavenging for food, etc?

Rain World is almost the perfect example but I'm looking for something with even less pressure to "progress" forwards, and maybe a little easier.

Tokyo Jungle on PS3.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Not quite low pressure, just being an animal, but the Shelter games are animal sims. Also parenthood sims.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Life of Black Tiger technically fills the brief

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I should have specified PC -- Tokyo Jungle would be perfect but for that. That said I hadn't even heard of either of the other two; thanks, folks.