Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ripper Swarm posted:

Very curious how Total Warhammer 2 would fit in this system
i think any RTS would probably fall under the Rollercoaster Tycoon food group since there is management and strategy involved and such games often go with the isometric perspective (not in the case of TW2 tho)

e: TW2 isn't as good though because you can't build rollercoasters in it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how hard is legend of grimrock 2 compared to 1? I'm going to be done with 1 soon and I'm extremely tempted to play 2 with a full team of rats as long as this won't screw me because the game's harder or something

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

err posted:

Does the original Final Fantasy 7 hold up? I never played it but with all the talk about the remake, I kinda want to.
The first time I played it was ten years after the original release and I already didn't like it then. I personlly always thought that it is one of those cult games that are far better in their reputation and people's memories than they ever were in reality, so yeah, like No Wave said, if you don't like it after an hour, you probably never will.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how hard is legend of grimrock 2 compared to 1? I'm going to be done with 1 soon and I'm extremely tempted to play 2 with a full team of rats as long as this won't screw me because the game's harder or something
I only got two hours or so in before something distracted me and I forgot to pick it back up, but I didn't feel like it was any harder than the first game during that time.

VVV You sound upset.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there any game played or unplayed that is safe from a Cardiovorax hot take.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

The first time I played it was ten years after the original release and I already didn't like it then. I personlly always thought that it is one of those cult games that are far better in their reputation and people's memories than they ever were in reality, so yeah, like No Wave said, if you don't like it after an hour, you probably never will.
I've got the opposite experience, actually - I played it around 2010 and it's the only FF I actually enjoyed, after having bounced hard off IX, X, VIII and VI. If you strip off all the cult status and Sephiroth worship, the story is actually pretty clever and the game has a lot of fun moments - unlike, say, the relentlessly nerve-grinding stupidity of FFXIII.
e: I mean, yeah, it's basically kid's first cyberpunk story on the surface but there's much more to it, I'm especially fond of the way it uses unreliable narration.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cardiovorax posted:

I only got two hours or so in before something distracted me and I forgot to pick it back up, but I didn't feel like it was any harder than the first game during that time.

VVV You sound upset.

Everyone has differing opinions, but "I played this for an hour a decade ago and didn't like it, therefore everyone who does must be brainwashed" is not what I would call helpful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

I've got the opposite experience, actually - I played around 2010 and it's the only FF I actually enjoyed, after having bounced hard off IX, X, VIII and VI.
I played it after FF10 and really loved that game, so maybe it's one of those cases where the styles of the games just clash for some people. They're almost opposites of each other in some ways. I thought 10 was really charming in how colorful and optimistic everything about it was, even though it's basically a post-apocalyptic setting, while 7 establishes its "the world is ending" mood so well that even though it has its humorous moments, it just felt really dreary to me the entire way through. I stopped playing it roughly about the time Aeris died because it just got too much for me and I simply wasn't having fun with it. I only stuck with it that long because so many people love it so much.

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone has differing opinions, but "I played this for an hour a decade ago and didn't like it, therefore everyone who does must be brainwashed" is not what I would call helpful.
Oh, calm your tits, "I think there are some nostalgia goggles about the first 3D Final Fantasy game ever involved" is really not saying that people only like it because they're brainwashed. I also think that Final Fantasy 8 is better than its reputation when you take some time to really look at it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I think the bigger and more open world makes it easier. You have a few more options at any given time. You’d probably be fine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It's pretty much on the same level except with the caveat that because you're no longer in a dungeon heading reliably downward the "what the gently caress do I do now?" aspect is dialled way the hell up and I often found myself just wandering around the island trying to figure out where I was intended to be. Additionally there's one or two secrets that you might try to figure out after getting a clue but aren't practicably solvable without finding more clues you can't know exist.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cardiovorax posted:

I played it after FF10 and really loved that game, so maybe it's one of those cases where the styles of the games just clash for some people. They're almost opposites of each other in some ways. I thought 10 was really charming in how colorful and optimistic everything about it was, even though it's basically a post-apocalyptic setting, while 7 establishes its "the world is ending" mood so well that even though it has its humorous moments, it just felt really dreary to me the entire way through. I stopped playing it roughly about the time Aeris died because it just got too much for me and I simply wasn't having fun with it. I only stuck with it that long because so many people love it so much.

Oh, calm your tits, "I think there are some nostalgia goggles about the first 3D Final Fantasy game ever involved" is really not saying that people only like it because they're brainwashed. I also think that Final Fantasy 8 is better than its reputation when you take some time to really look at it.

FF7 was good, but it also was a mess on a technical level due to incredibly troubled development. FF8 avoided some of those issues, had a pretty sensible story to go along with it, and a tutorial which no one has ever read, apparently - this is also when Uematsu peaked when it comes to overall OST quality. FF9 is the one viewed with nostalgia googles because it's more like a collection of highlights to placate long-time fans after they expressed their great dislike of FF8. I'm not saying FF9 is bad, but I'm having a hard time thinking of what FF9 was actually about in the end.

I still think Trails in the Sky was overall better than all of those games.

Come to think of it, every Final Fantasy game is a technical mess on some level.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blattdorf posted:

FF8 avoided some of those issues, had a pretty sensible story to go along with it
we all grew up together and forgot all about it until right now

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

anilEhilated posted:

Look, every FF needs it's completely shenanigans mid-game plot twist about someone's backstory.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

this is also when Uematsu peaked when it comes to overall OST quality.
Seconded. Edea's Parade has some of my favourite video game music ever, I still listen to it sometimes.

anilEhilated posted:

Yyyyyeah, FF8 makes some weird and confusing narrative decisions, but I think the characterization is really pretty solid once you stop taking it at face value. There's more than meets the eye going on with basically every character. Squall in particular is a scared and overwhelmed kid who doesn't know to cope and acts all stand-offish as a defense mechanism, which I always thought was such a picture-perfect depiction of the teenager mentality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Yyyyyeah, FF8 makes some weird and confusing narrative decisions, but I think the characterization is really pretty solid once you stop taking it at face value. There's more than meets the eye going on with basically every character. Squall in particular is a scared and overwhelmed kid who doesn't know to cope and acts all stand-offish as a defense mechanism, which I always thought was such a picture-perfect depiction of the teenager mentality.
Yeah, the thing is they did pretty much the same thing (and in my opinion in a better way) with Cloud. And his story dealt with capitalism, environmentalism and trauma as opposed to teenage angst.

Also Rinoa is the worst character.

I'll give you the music though, (what I've played of) VIII has some pretty great tunes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They're very similar characters, but I think Squall comes across as the more genuine and natural for his age. It's a matter of degrees, though, I couldn't really tell you what specifically it is that gives me this feeling.

anilEhilated posted:

Also Rinoa is the worst character.
No argument there. God, I hated that girl.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FF8 is extremely my jam, but

anilEhilated posted:

this is like the most well explained and least convoluted part of its storyline.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Samuringa posted:

Weedcraft Inc. should sate anyone's desire for a drug dealer simulator though its more of a Gardner Simulator, what with the very careful balancing of humidity, lightning and long periods of time spent, no joke, watching plants grow.

I've got My Organic Garden for that

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if there'll ever be a remaster of FF8 that will fix a few of Squall's lines being replaced with "Whatever."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

FF8 is extremely my jam, but

this is like the most well explained and least convoluted part of its storyline.
"Magic brain ghosts ate our memories" might count as well-explained, but that doesn't mean it's not also kind of dumb and contrived, as a writing decision. Every Final Fantasy game has its twist like that, but FF7's was pulled off way better, gotta give it that.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Lord Lambeth posted:

I also really dislike the whole cloud save thing the pc port has. and mods for the pc version aren't that great.

cloud being trash is on-brand, though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Every Final Fantasy game has its twist like that, but FF7's was pulled off way better, gotta give it that.
how would you even know

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Wow, Nioh is some clunkyass budget bullshit, huh

It feels like if Dark Souls was developed by Spiders

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

how would you even know
I did play it far enough to get to the whole "hey, all that stuff you remember was actually done by that other guy!" part, but I also looked up the rest of the story for closure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Wow, Nioh is some clunkyass budget bullshit, huh

It feels like if Dark Souls was developed by Spiders

Yes and no. The combat is peerless (if you like it) but everything else about is a morass of bad design choices.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"dark souls by spiders" is basically Lords of the Fallen

nioh's combat is also really fast even with twin blades which is why it's my favorite souls game

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I've got the opposite experience, actually - I played it around 2010 and it's the only FF I actually enjoyed, after having bounced hard off IX, X, VIII and VI. If you strip off all the cult status and Sephiroth worship, the story is actually pretty clever and the game has a lot of fun moments - unlike, say, the relentlessly nerve-grinding stupidity of FFXIII.
e: I mean, yeah, it's basically kid's first cyberpunk story on the surface but there's much more to it, I'm especially fond of the way it uses unreliable narration.
Several important bits were also missable in 7 original. I think the whole thing with learning how Cloud got from getting stabbed in the mako reactor near Kalm to showing back up in Midgar required you to go back to the Resident Evil Mansion and dig around pretty late in the game, with nothing pointing you to this.

anilEhilated posted:

FF8 was, however, way worse about hiding important details and backstory and stuff. This was foreshadowed, but only in like one throwaway conversation where you needed to go back into some chunk of the home Garden to talk to a random nameless NPC, and if you dug like five screens deep into a computer in a classroom.
And there was a TON of stuff like this. Stop in the middle of what you're doing to backtrack and go climb down this extremely hard to see ladder on an otherwise completely unremarkable screen to talk to a guy fishing, to get some significant information about the place you're in!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I got some stuff from a recent Humble Bundle. Here's the first batch

Replace * with 3
Replace & with 6
Replace % with 5
Replace $ with 0

Hollow Knight
CKTHV-*0LGA-XDQHC

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator

The Witness

SUPERHOT

Killing Floor 2
B%FLT-DKPDZ-X2BP2

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
B*TB6-NKP62-57Q8B

Jackbox Party Pack 2

Sniper Elite 3
BHFCR-87YH$-Y7W2G

Darksiders Warmastered Edition
AWMG*-XH967-YKPDH

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Party Hard
BD8&X-X2VLW-76CAB

Worms Revolution

Broken Age
ANVEZ-QYRI&-0GEYH

Brutal Legend
MDZPY-F9WIY-*N0A4

Psychonauts

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

8one6 posted:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
BBLEV-Q$THN-RCKPB

Thanks, I always wanted to try this game!

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

8one6 posted:

SUPERHOT
CALFE-&CHLP-ID4*Z

Grabbed this, thank you.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

8one6 posted:

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
D8QMA-*28M8-RF6Q6
Got this, thanks!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

8one6 posted:

Worms Revolution
C9PI&-M579B-A2TQG

Grabbed this, thank you!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

8one6 posted:

Psychonauts
M84WP-KF2&W-X7T85
Thank you, I've been wanting to replay for a while now.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

8one6 posted:

Jackbox Party Pack 2
D&92N-ZDXC8-X2PEC

Thank you very much!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

8one6 posted:

The Witness
BZF02-LKMJT-RLW*0

Would love to take this one! Thank you!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

8one6 posted:

The Witness
BZF02-LKMJT-RLW*0

Woo hoo! Grabbed this one. Thanks. Edit: ^ OH GAWSH, WHAT HAVE I DONE.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

time for jamfrost to start the next steam gift train a couple of months early

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have a short trip report for Jedi Knight Remastered (a moddb installer from the jedi knight community for Dark Forces II): https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-remastered/downloads

two years ago, attempting to play jedi knight resulted in an inverted 256-color palette running at 640x480... not an ideal way to play the game, and it made me think "oh this game probably isn't any good even if it looked normal". wrong!!!!

in 2020 you can now finally play DF2:JK on a modern pc, with modern resolutions, SSAO, parallax mapping, bloom (for lasers/sabers), anisotropic filtering, and custom FOV. it wasn't perfectly plug'n'play but it was relatively easy to set up (installing in the game directory, editing a .json file, then launching from the desktop rather than through Steam), and now the game runs and looks about on par with Jedi Outcast/Academy with less geometrical definition but some nice visual fixins (the installer includes neural AI upscaled textures for example)

so now that i'm actually playing Jedi Knight.. it's really fun??? the run speed is about the same as Dark Forces but in an actual 3D world now, and the levels have been streamlined into being linear but with larger open spaces, rather than DF's maps which were way too big and required too much backtracking (moreso than DOOM94 even). while you do get a lightsaber, this is still a shooter first and foremost.. so you're not doing the crazy poo poo CovertMuffin does in Star Wars speedruns at GDQ, but you are running around pretty fast blasting stormtroopers and bounty hunters

while dark forces was a DOOM clone, i would say Jedi Knight feels closer to Half-Life 1... there are no headcrabs, but in terms of maps having you go on big journeys, from open combat rooms to descending through vents/gaps, sliding down pipes, swimming through underwater tunnels, solving light environmental puzzles (very light, so far), and doing some platforming -- which works way better here than it did in the original Dark Forces

the most important thing about Jedi Knight though is the FMV, as this game was produced when Lucasarts was still a big(ish) budget studio, so there's CG, there are live actors, there's special effects, and all of it is extremely campy, which is how FMV in games is supposed to be. Imagine Tex Murphy-quality acting, but the story is meant to be action rather than comedy. There are some actors that really chew up the scenery... and everyone makes sure to enunciate very forcefully, since the framerate on FMVs at the time was still below 20.

this isn't a call to action for people to buy jedi knight... this is more for people who might have bought star wars collections in the past, have it in their library already, etc. someday i hope disney does a proper remake of the Kyle Katarn saga, although being realistic, that's never going to loving happen, so luckily the community is around to keep these games running and preserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eYANZVApUg

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 19, 2020

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

Woo hoo! Grabbed this one. Thanks. Edit: ^ OH GAWSH, WHAT HAVE I DONE.

Noooooo

I was too slooooow

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought genital jousting in the devolver sale, mostly to play with my SO.

I’m a child. It’s hilarious. Need to play it with more people once the pandemic ends though.

Also bought Forager. Holy poo poo, that’s a game that is potentially ridiculously addictive due to the simple loop of “gather, craft, repeat”. My kid will enjoy it a lot too I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone thinking about playing FF7 should check out Remako. Someone used an A.I. to re-do all the prerendered backgrounds. Incidentally this works on all games with prerendered backgrounds so there's a similar mod for all the other FF games, as well as the Resident Evil games.