Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

I've decided to play FFX remaster on PS4. Did they fix the random encounters?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's funny to go back to FFX when you're not a child/teen and realise how insanely political the plot is.

Like, the story is literally that old men who refuse to die are perpetuating a death cult; and they sacrifice the youth who are the truest believers (summoners) in order to do so and maintain their power.

Entire plot is stating "conservatism is killing Japan!"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

bewilderment posted:

It's funny to go back to FFX when you're not a child/teen and realise how insanely political the plot is.

Like, the story is literally that old men who refuse to die are perpetuating a death cult; and they sacrifice the youth who are the truest believers (summoners) in order to do so and maintain their power.

Entire plot is stating "conservatism is killing Japan!"

You could say the same thing about Persona 5. They're getting less subtle with it over time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cock hero flux posted:

you would expect tidus to react to the fact that the capitol of spira is Bevelle, the other side in the nightmare forever war, if that was the case. He'd also know what a Summoner is, given that real Zanarkand had lots of them.

it's possible that he's just very, very dumb, though

I think that leads into the fact that Tidus (FFX spoilers in the FF7R thread) is not and has never actually been real. He is not like the reincarnation of a living person. He is basically the imaginary friend of those that lived in Zanarkand. An imaginary friend given sentience.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Considering Tidus is absolutely floored by his very sight of a Summon, I think his Zanarkand just didn't have any, so I think we can chalk this one up to 'people decided not to include that bit in their dream script'.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Considering Tidus is absolutely floored by his very sight of a Summon, I think his Zanarkand just didn't have any, so I think we can chalk this one up to 'people decided not to include that bit in their dream script'.

It's kind of disquieting to think about how truman show-like dream Zanarkland must've been. I mean we only see it for a few minutes in the intro, it's not like we get a particularly in depth look at the culture.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haha the facial animation in FFX is so poo poo. I love it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Calaveron posted:

Nomura wanted to challenge the animators using the new ps2's technology to render her throughout the game. The animators in response told him to go screw and ever only show her entire model once in prerendered fmvs

Nomura used to do this a lot, iirc, it’s also why Squall’s jacket has that ridiculously fluffy fur collar.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ApplesandOranges posted:

Proof that Selphie is the best character.

I've gotten used to Tidus, the same way I've (begrudgingly) gotten used to stuff like Iris being pronounced Ee-ris.

I can't get behind how the FFXV characters pronounce Ramuh, though. Instead of the Rah-moo that every other person in games has used, they go Rah-muh.

I've always said Rah-muh since I was a kid. It's what Selphie would say.

XV has messed me up with Iris though because before I of course said "eye-ris" and now even when I see the word elsewhere my brain jumps in with "ee-ris"

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

JBP posted:

Haha the facial animation in FFX is so poo poo. I love it.

The Remastered X faces that replace the high poly PS2 scenes are like that one Jesus painting restoration meme

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Perfect Potato posted:

The Remastered X faces that replace the high poly PS2 scenes are like that one Jesus painting restoration meme

They absolutely are. Hilariously awful.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Replaying this on Hard and it's kind of funny just picturing how the narrative would have ran if the Plot Ghosts weren't there to make everyone behave themselves. Like Cloud would have split Reno like a watermelon very early on, which I imagine probably would have thrown off the plate drop a little. Or at least turned the fight there into the party versus Tseng and Rude.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeathChicken posted:

Replaying this on Hard and it's kind of funny just picturing how the narrative would have ran if the Plot Ghosts weren't there to make everyone behave themselves. Like Cloud would have split Reno like a watermelon very early on, which I imagine probably would have thrown off the plate drop a little. Or at least turned the fight there into the party versus Tseng and Rude.

I mean if they hadn't intervened, Cloud and company would have stopped the plate from falling in the first place. The Whispers stopped Cloud, Barret and Tifa from stopping Rude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What were the fate ghosts doing in Chapter 3? Ensuring that Cloud would have to go on the mission to Mako Reactor 5?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What were the fate ghosts doing in Chapter 3? Ensuring that Cloud would have to go on the mission to Mako Reactor 5?

Yeah. In the original Barret hires Cloud for the mission right away. In the remake, he doesn't, so the Whispers injure Jessie and make sure Barret needs an extra hand on the mission and hires Cloud.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harrow posted:

I wonder if Aerith is questioning her decision to defy their destiny at the end. Her last line--"I miss it. The steel sky."--definitely has more than one meaning. First it's a character thing for her, since she's spent almost her whole life in the slums, so that wide-open sky really is entirely foreign to her.

But she also compared the freedom they'd get by defeating the Whispers to "a great, never-ending sky." I wonder if we're supposed to also read her final line as her questioning whether or not defeating the Whispers was the right thing to do.

It's to, among other things, continue the reference to Crisis Core, because at that point in Crisis Core Zack is dying in the rain remembering that Aerith was afraid of the sky while he sees Angeal coming down on wings to welcome him into the Lifestream.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mulva posted:

It's to, among other things, continue the reference to Crisis Core, because at that point in Crisis Core Zack is dying in the rain remembering that Aerith was afraid of the sky while he sees Angeal coming down on wings to welcome him into the Lifestream.

come on, really?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

uncurable mlady posted:

come on, really?

Angeal Hewley, it's his Buster Sword that Zack gets and eventually passes to Cloud. Crisis Core is a trip.

e: And by Crisis Core, there's another issue. Not only is Cloud psychologically like 16, but biologically he's like 17 because they are held in cryonic stasis for 4 years. Literally everyone perving on teen Cloud in this game.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 19, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mulva posted:

Angeal Hewley, it's his Buster Sword that Zack gets and eventually passes to Cloud. Crisis Core is a trip.

e: And by Crisis Core, there's another issue. Not only is Cloud psychologically like 16, but biologically he's like 17 because they are held in cryonic stasis for 4 years. Literally everyone perving on teen Cloud in this game.

I thought he was just pickled in Mako.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, in Crisis Core it's explicitly cyro tubes. He got the Mako poisoning first, it's why he's tubed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Slightly missed it but anyone else get heavy FFX vibes from the music when fighting Eligor or whatever the chariot dudes name is? It's literally all I can think of when I hear it.

Also I saw some people talking about how there's a easter egg reference to the old Shinra theory in Shinra HQ, apparently there's a photo showing the people that found it and the first Shinra was a guy in a gas mask/FFX style clothing :v: I hope someone finds it soon if it's real cause' I wanna see it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Slightly missed it but anyone else get heavy FFX vibes from the music when fighting Eligor or whatever the chariot dudes name is? It's literally all I can think of when I hear it.

Also I saw some people talking about how there's a easter egg reference to the old Shinra theory in Shinra HQ, apparently there's a photo showing the people that found it and the first Shinra was a guy in a gas mask/FFX style clothing :v: I hope someone finds it soon if it's real cause' I wanna see it.

I'm pretty sure its in the museum area (the first one with the president shinra exhibit)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the old Shinra theory?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's that the world of FFVII is the far-flung future version of Spira from FFX.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just passed the museum and there’s an old group photo and there is indeed a guy in a mask front and center but everyone is wearing regular looking suits.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'll have to check it out when I get there again, that's pretty silly :v:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the old Shinra theory?

In FFX there's a masked dude named Shinra who talk about wanting to start up his own company or something and another. I think some of the devs joked about him being the original Shinra but I could be wrong there.

FF7:R Apparently has a dude with a similar mask as a founder so :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know what was in Madam M's green vase? I noticed you could search it but she was standing there when I tried and she told me to get my dirty hands off it. I assume I was supposed to search it with Aerith while Cloud was laying on the table after the massage when Madam M was distracted. It wont let me try again while she is dressing Aerith... Boo!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll have to check it out when I get there again, that's pretty silly :v:

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Just finished this last night and have to say I thought they did a great job with this remake until whatever the gently caress that ending was. I see yall are calling them plot ghosts, the hell was up with those things? Did those appear in some other FF7 expanded universe or something? It has the smell of Nomura all over it, its so off from the feel of the rest of the game. Really soured the experience at the end.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BillyC posted:

Just finished this last night and have to say I thought they did a great job with this remake until whatever the gently caress that ending was. I see yall are calling them plot ghosts, the hell was up with those things? Did those appear in some other FF7 expanded universe or something? It has the smell of Nomura all over it, its so off from the feel of the rest of the game. Really soured the experience at the end.

Nomura isn't the scenario writer or anything and no they're new.

Best assumption is that Sephiroth knows that no matter what he's fated by Destiny to die and have his plan fail completely. Part 1 is his soul (??) rewinding back to the bombing run and working to trick Cloud into destroying the Whispers so he actually has a *chance* now. He does this by showing Cloud spoilers out of context and making him think they have to kill the Whispers otherwise the world is doomed.

Ending has the Whispers dead meaning that things can now go pretty off the rails as they can no longer guarantee events play out like Zack dying.

FF7R is a stealth sequel in a way.

That's great

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Someone more talented will have to get that NASA control center gif of them celebrating and put Jesse's picture in it for when she shows up in Part 2.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BillyC posted:

I'm taking it as a metaphorical ending that's basically the devs communicating their anxiety over changing things in the remake. It's not executed in the best possible manner, but I get what they were going for. I highly doubt there's any timey-wimey bullshit actually going on, just straightforward changes to the story. IMO, it would have been better as a bonus dungeon/hidden ending.

If it helps the medicine goes down, the ghosts and poo poo are completely gone at, and the game ends in 99% the same situation as the party is when they leave Midgar in the original. So, in the end, it's the same as before.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The entire game, from start to finish heavily features the ghosts forcing a timeline- the characters have to acknowledge them, the ending is all about getting rid of them and Cloud is constantly having glimpses at the future. Not trying to be a rear end in a top hat but you should probably move onto the acceptance phase that the story is going to be different and it's going to have big ramifications on the plot moving forward. It literally slaps you over the head saying "THE UNKNOWN JOURNEY CONTINUES" because Destiny is totally freed up now.

Closing your eyes and pretending the ghosts were never there doesn't actually work.

E: Some of the devs have outright stated they can't wait to see speculation on what the ending means and what people think will come next based on the ending. You can either strap in for Final Fantasy: Reunion or get off the train now :v:

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Pollyanna posted:

I'm taking it as a metaphorical ending that's basically the devs communicating their anxiety over changing things in the remake. It's not executed in the best possible manner, but I get what they were going for. I highly doubt there's any timey-wimey bullshit actually going on, just straightforward changes to the story. IMO, it would have been better as a bonus dungeon/hidden ending.

If it helps the medicine goes down, the ghosts and poo poo are completely gone at, and the game ends in 99% the same situation as the party is when they leave Midgar in the original. So, in the end, it's the same as before.

I just dislike Destiny and Fate as part of any plot, moreso here where it just didnt fit, so it just completely sours the ending for me. Thing is, the changes they made to the plot in general were fantastic imo and updated the goofy dialogue and weird contrivances of the original. Still a great job from the devs though, they did what I thought what would never happen and made a great remake. I just wish the plot ghosts hadnt been added.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BillyC posted:

It has the smell of Nomura all over it, its so off from the feel of the rest of the game.

it will never cease to amaze me how much Nomura gets the blame for everything anyone doesn't like about this series, even in contexts where it absolutely wasn't his job, just because he went through a belt phase with his character design and SE had/has a terrible management structure

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The entire game, from start to finish heavily features the ghosts forcing a timeline- the characters have to acknowledge them, the ending is all about getting rid of them and Cloud is constantly having glimpses at the future. Not trying to be a rear end in a top hat but you should probably move onto the acceptance phase that the story is going to be different and it's going to have big ramifications on the plot moving forward. It literally slaps you over the head saying "THE UNKNOWN JOURNEY CONTINUES" because Destiny is totally freed up now.

Closing your eyes and pretending the ghosts were never there doesn't actually work.

E: Some of the devs have outright stated they can't wait to see speculation on what the ending means and what people think will come next based on the ending. You can either strap in for Final Fantasy: Reunion or get off the train now :v:

Don't get me wrong, I love OG FFVII, but I'm actually more excited by this game now that it's apparent that future installments can veer off into whatever.

I almost didn't get this right away because it looked like it was more a less a re-skin with some expanded dialogs. I decided to take a chance when I started hearing that "this thing is bit different than just a recreation". So glad I did.

Plus seeing the nerd-rage on twitter is a delicious bonus.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

BillyC posted:

I just dislike Destiny and Fate as part of any plot, moreso here where it just didnt fit, so it just completely sours the ending for me. Thing is, the changes they made to the plot in general were fantastic imo and updated the goofy dialogue and weird contrivances of the original. Still a great job from the devs though, they did what I thought what would never happen and made a great remake. I just wish the plot ghosts hadnt been added.

Isn't it good news then, because we straight up murdered Destiny and put it in the ground?

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Ms Adequate posted:

Isn't it good news then, because we straight up murdered Destiny and put it in the ground?

If the plot ghosts and Destiny never show up again then yes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BillyC posted:

If the plot ghosts and Destiny never show up again then yes

So did you just ignore the final hour of battling so much you came to a different conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Tae posted:

So did you just ignore the final hour of battling so much you came to a different conclusion

I kinda did yea. If they're gone for good, then fine.

e: and if Destiny isn't mentioned again, definitely good.