Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Seconding the fact that while the hardback books are great for fluff and presentation (I have all of them) the compilation available online is far better organised, easier to search, better formatted and comprehensive (it includes WD-published rules, limited cards etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Mini knight #4 done!

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

I grabbed it for the models, tiles, and templates and don’t regret it. There is a compilation rulebook floating around the internet too.

That's really good to know. The biggest thing that turns me off of GW lately is their book creep. Just figuring out what books you actually need is a pain.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

thocan posted:

That's really good to know. The biggest thing that turns me off of GW lately is their book creep. Just figuring out what books you actually need is a pain.

Honestly, that's less of a problem than NM books coming out and getting deprecated a few months later.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Honestly, that's less of a problem than NM books coming out and getting deprecated a few months later.

That's what I mean by book creep, I guess I should have clarified. Which books are completely invalidated, half invalidated but parts are useful, situationally useful, or only useful for a specific faction? Its the same problem with all of their games. I need four books for my Tyranids, another if I want to run a Vigilus detachment.

Its insane, and combined with their terrible editing, I have a really tough time convincing myself to buy books from them. Its a really bad use of money in an already expensive hobby.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are non-HoC Goliaths even around anymore?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Started mapping out a 4x4 Necromunda table to build during quarantine. Spent most of the day trawling the web for images of Necromunda tables.

God drat this is such a cool game and setting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

R0ckfish posted:

Mini knight #4 done!

From the top two photos I expect this thing to bust out into "Puttin' on the Ritz" at any moment.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is Kill Team discussed in this thread? I'm working on the starter, I have the one with Ad Mech and Genestealer Cult, as I have it
Is the rogue trader Kill team expansion worth picking up?
Figured Necromunda and Kill Team I can combine terrain

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rogue Trader is worth picking up if you specifically want the two factions in there. However, those two have not received any additional releases after the RT box and are thus kind of limited.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Geisladisk posted:

Rogue Trader is worth picking up if you specifically want the two factions in there. However, those two have not received any additional releases after the RT box and are thus kind of limited.

Also, mechanically they're not great, because they get almost no options on gear, especially the Rogue Trader crew. They're amazing looking models though.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

The Gate posted:

Also, mechanically they're not great, because they get almost no options on gear, especially the Rogue Trader crew. They're amazing looking models though.

I was surprised that the gellerpox infected were not the adversaries in BSF no respite because they are amazing models that are kind of useless outside KT:RT

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New preview article up for Necromunda:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/14/underhive-informant-docs-lookouts-and-weapons-galoregw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Rogue doc and lookout both look great. However, I'm pretty sure the escher champ they show off is teasing some sort of alternate set of sculpts. We know the plastic kit will be two death maidens, four runners, and four cats so it won't be in that. I'm thinking there might be a resin booster pack or something coming in addition to the weapons.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

If Forgeworld is willing to make resin flower pots, anything is possible.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
If I am looking at buying Blackstone Fortress without the miniatures on ebay and the listing says: "All accessories of the games included except miniatures, explorers cards stats and mallex card stats."

Is the game still playable? Don't you need the explorers cards stats and mallex card stats?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Modulo16 posted:

I just picked up the Van Saar Gang, because a few friends are looking to start playing, and we've all resolved to have some table ready to play.

I'm planning to pick up the turbo dork darknet paint to base-coat them. I'm pretty excited because i have wanted to play Necromunda for a long time.

Are those the guys where the terms of service (or whatever) specifically prohibit sale of their paint to some guy who was a jerk or something?

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Schadenboner posted:

Are those the guys where the terms of service (or whatever) specifically prohibit sale of their paint to some guy who was a jerk or something?

I’m not sure about any of that. I just found it on Instagram, liked it and decided to give it a try. Turbo Dork is the company.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Nope, Turbodork makes really nifty color-shift paints.

Stewart Semple is the one you're thinking of. Makes affordable professional paints, and won't sell to Anesh Kapour(sp?), the dude that bought the exclusive rights to Vantablack.

Fake edit: I've used products from both, and they're good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Failson posted:

Nope, Turbodork makes really nifty color-shift paints.

Stewart Semple is the one you're thinking of. Makes affordable professional paints, and won't sell to Anesh Kapour(sp?), the dude that bought the exclusive rights to Vantablack.

Fake edit: I've used products from both, and they're good.

Oh, I've heard nothing but good things about both (enough good things for me to assume this Anesh guy is probably bad?*), I just didn't realize there were two boutique paint formulators in the mix.

I mean, there's probably significantly more than two boutique paint formulators in the market-space but Turbo Dork stuff is popular among vaporwave painters and the Semple guy makes the blacker-than-black black paint right?

*: Not in a moral sense necessarily, I'm not saying he kicks puppies or some poo poo.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 18, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Stuff from Stuart Semple / Culture Hustle is really good but the really bright stuff isn't in any way UV fast. Pinkest pink is absolutely wonderful to just look at - camera sensors and screens really can't capture or reproduce how it glows.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I've found that in practice, ScaleColor Black (the default black from their Scalecolor range) is about as matte as Stuart Semple's Black 3.0. It's not quite there, but Black 3.0 is also a lot more fragile and once you add varnish, the difference disappears.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I had to stop using Scale's matte black. It really is possible to be too matte.

The problem is its so matte it looks like black primer. I really love their decay black from the Scale Fantasy range tho

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Picked up WarCry second hand for $180 (AUD, rrp is $280) :toot:

Get me some muscle bois

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeast posted:

I had to stop using Scale's matte black. It really is possible to be too matte.

The problem is its so matte it looks like black primer. I really love their decay black from the Scale Fantasy range tho

Decay Black "slaps" as the kids say.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lol lol lol

Blood Bowl is getting a new team Snotlings. Imma have to get these
https://youtu.be/vaRmo7QgTQE

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

the snots are the team of our hearts

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hahahahahahahaha

Definitely not the team I was hoping for Norse, but snotlings loving rule.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am so excited for my Halflings to ravage another team.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Oh my god. I had an idea.

A Little league.
Goblins, halfling,lizard men with only skinks, and snotlings . It would be so fun.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

A Little league.
Goblins, halfling,lizard men with only skinks, and snotlings . It would be so fun.
That sort of thing has been around for a while, unofficially. They're called stunty leagues. :v:

Maybe we'll see them codified in the accompanying Spike! magazine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Skinks are far too good for those leagues.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Skinks are far too good for those leagues.
Yeah, they're not really a comedy piece like the others and MA8 is nuts.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Feel good about yourself that even studio paint jobs have the errant strand of hair.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
I really want to give the snotling rock buddies noodly arms.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think the pump wagon satisfies an old Rumor Engine, but I can't see the pub sign from the back.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hihohe posted:

A Little league.

They already have a handbook and everything.

https://fumbbl.com/help:Stunty+Leeg+Central

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think the only use my unbuilt Goliaths are gonna get is being built into carapace Recon Marines for HH.

The absolute unwillingness to fix the rules while churning books all the time isn't the only factor that killed NM for me, but it helped.

A shame, since the lookout and the doc are boss.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

I think the only use my unbuilt Goliaths are gonna get is being built into carapace Recon Marines for HH.

The absolute unwillingness to fix the rules while churning books all the time isn't the only factor that killed NM for me, but it helped.

A shame, since the lookout and the doc are boss.

So I admit the constant rulebook churn has turned a lot of people off. What do you mean by 'fix the rules'? I see a lot of things that are very unbalanced, which is pretty standard for GW games, but nothing actually game-breaking?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Ngl the rules churn is what puts me off a lot of gw things currently, feels like a subscription service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Counterpoint: Necromunda is incredible and well supported.

I mean, sure, if you bring every single book to every single game that is a hassle but why on earth would you do that? It is a gang almost totally predicated about tell stories about outrageous things happening to unlucky gangers and the books are all oozing with flavor.

Balance could be better in some places but as long as all the players are on the same page things work. If one of your opponents is just building the hardest Van Saar list with extremely optimal equipment, I am going to be charitable and say they may be a little too competitive to be a fun opponent. If they same player would bring an all Sling Skaven Mordheim band maybe they are a piece of poo poo.

No GW game is more able to tell fun engaging stories with loads of different interesting missions, and that matters more to me than balance. At the end of the day, not everyone is going to like every game so maybe Necromunda isn't for you. And that is OK.