Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How are the Index controllers at emulating touch controllers through revive? I’ve been meaning to go and give Robo Recall and Echo Arena a try now that there’s a proper analog stick available to Vive folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For Quest owners, the films participating in the Tribeca Cinema360 film festival are now in Oculus TV
https://tribecafilm.com/festival/immersive/cinema360

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 17, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Warbird posted:

How are the Index controllers at emulating touch controllers through revive? I’ve been meaning to go and give Robo Recall and Echo Arena a try now that there’s a proper analog stick available to Vive folk.

Works fine and you can customize them through Steam VR if you want to, for example, map clicking a thumbstick to pressing the trackpad

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm using VR games to exercise more than ever now, so here are my reviews.

Thrill of the Fight
This boxing simulator is the most intense workout of anything I've tried. There's not even a close second. It can easily become an anaerobic workout instead of an aerobic workout. If you want to do a high intensity 15-20 minutes that leaves you gasping for air this is the game for you. If you want to do more moderate cardio for 45 minutes a different game might be better.

Beat Saber
This is my favorite as a game and it has extensive modding support. There are tons of custom maps, including curated, highly rated playlists at bsaber.com. Once you have everything setup you can sample them in browser and download everything with a single click. There are many workout playlists available. You can warm up with something on hard or play on expert+ to do some pretty frantic cardio. Because of the huge varieties in maps and difficulty I think Beat Saber has the best range in challenge levels.

BoxVR
BoxVR never got very intense for me even on the highest difficulty. The stream of targets is pretty leisurely and the presentation is no-frills. It doesn't really have those "oh poo poo" moments where exhaust yourself swinging like a maniac. That's good for longer 45min - 60min sessions though. Notably it makes far greater use of squats than Beat Saber.

Conventional wisdom in many reviews is that Beat Saber is the more interesting game but BoxVR is the better workout. I didn't find that to be true at all but I also play custom BS maps at expert+ and most people can't complete those until they've had quite a bit of practice. For this reason BoxVR isn't strictly worse even though I consider it more boring. It "just works" straight out of the box in delivering a cardio workout of your desired length without downloading extra stuff and the workout challenge is based almost purely on your willpower and fitness without bringing dexterity or gameplay skills into the equation.

Racket: NX
This is more of a warmup than a full workout but it's a very fun game. It's like a combination of Tron and squash. You're inside a giant dome with light up targets on the walls you have to hit. You can play alone or with a partner online and both ways are delightful. This is probably best played on Quest since you turn around in place very frequently.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

BoxVR
Conventional wisdom in many reviews is that Beat Saber is the more interesting game but BoxVR is the better workout. I didn't find that to be true at all but I also play custom BS maps at expert+ and most people can't complete those until they've had quite a bit of practice. For this reason BoxVR isn't strictly worse even though I consider it more boring. It "just works" straight out of the box in delivering a cardio workout of your desired length without downloading extra stuff and the workout challenge is based almost purely on your willpower and fitness without bringing dexterity or gameplay skills into the equation.

The fact that BoxVR works your entire body, and does not fatigue you in a 3-5 min single track, allows you to go longer and put more work into your body.

Side by side, cal counts are very very similar. You can also easily wear weights with something like boxvr since like you said, its entirely predictable even on the hardest settings with fast music. Which then makes boxvr have the edge again. Not including the fact its actually working out your body not just your arms.

Id argue boxvr is a better workout all around. IF you're working just your shoulders/arms, maybe i guess beat saber wins there?

IDK, I have way over 2000 hours of beat saber at this point as my main physical fitness nonsense, and tbh boxvr was really better. I only kept up with saber because it turned into my job. I'm actually going to move back to boxvr here soon since it was easier on the joints, and was a better actual workout.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 17, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New version of Virtual Desktop, improving audio latency
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/g38c5x/virtual_desktop_update_1131_improved_audio/

I think I'm going to try it, I can refund if it doesn't work well enough.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

My Index kit just shipped. :vince:

Did any of you go from Rift S to Index? I'm curious about your opinions on the headset upgrade.

What I'm expecting:
Slightly better image quality, slightly wider and taller FOV, better clarity when looking around with your eyes, much better audio quality (but probably not a giant upgrade over my 3d printed off ear headphone setup), better comfort, and noticeably smoother movement at the higher refresh rates.

From what I've read it seems like it overall isn't going to be a huge step up but I'm really hoping that the higher FOV gives a better sense of presence, and I'm pretty excited to see what 120/144hz VR feels like (even if I probably won't be running many games at those speeds).

Although, I am curious what going into reprojection is like at 144hz. Seems like it might not be that bad since you'd still be getting 72 real frames a second.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

EbolaIvory posted:

The fact that BoxVR works your entire body, and does not fatigue you in a 3-5 min single track, allows you to go longer and put more work into your body.

Side by side, cal counts are very very similar. You can also easily wear weights with something like boxvr since like you said, its entirely predictable even on the hardest settings with fast music. Which then makes boxvr have the edge again. Not including the fact its actually working out your body not just your arms.

Id argue boxvr is a better workout all around. IF you're working just your shoulders/arms, maybe i guess beat saber wins there?

IDK, I have way over 2000 hours of beat saber at this point as my main physical fitness nonsense, and tbh boxvr was really better. I only kept up with saber because it turned into my job. I'm actually going to move back to boxvr here soon since it was easier on the joints, and was a better actual workout.

Also if someone thinks the workouts are too leisurely, trying inputting some of your own (fast) tracks on hard. Sometimes the drat thing comes up with some combos that are just barely possible. But I actually really like the longer workouts that the app has best. My one bummer with it right now is that the DLC is Quest-only, I'm waiting hard for it to come to normal Rift.

In non-workout news, The Under Presents is now on Steam, so if you didn't check it out because it was Oculus Home only, now you can. From what I understand, the live VR actors have been contracted to go for longer and are still ongoing. I talked about it earlier in this thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3901021&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post501975924

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So Echo Arena is pretty much the training chamber from the Ender's Game movie?

--edit:
n-thing BoxVR.

Have to figure out the custom track poo poo at some point I guess. I wonder how that'll work out, considering there's one or two stock tracks where the game goes already three kinds of rear end backwards in regards to squatting obstacles.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Combat Pretzel posted:

Used for floating disc soccer, yes. It's brilliant. Go play it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-B8CEI0zyE

Anton added "Grabbity Gloves", duplicating HL:Alyx's Gravity glove pull :stwoon:. It's very much a work in progress, but still fantastic to see.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:
n-thing BoxVR.

Have to figure out the custom track poo poo at some point I guess. I wonder how that'll work out, considering there's one or two stock tracks where the game goes already three kinds of rear end backwards in regards to squatting obstacles.

When I still played regularly, it worked really well actually. IMO its better than audio shields generation at least. And audio shield was pretty good. :)

Super fast stuff ends up being a bit on the slower side because the game simply will not go over so many notes per whatever length of song and I think the game has some hidden internal cap for BPM. BUT i was super happy all around. Rarely would it put out something unplayable.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:
n-thing BoxVR.

I like to think of it as zero gravity frisbee basketball.

The best part about it is you start a match by being launched into the arena by a cannon. And if you hold onto other players being launched, you can use your momentum to launch yourself off them mid launch and go even faster. This ends up in a massive scrap on the middle where the disc spawns.

Really excited for the Quest release.

Caved in and bought the BoxVR / Racquet Pack. Spend half an hour or so on BoxVR and enjoying so far. Definitely worked up a sweat at least. Now I think I just need to study proper boxing form.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

I like to think of it as zero gravity frisbee basketball.

The best part about it is you start a match by being launched into the arena by a cannon. And if you hold onto other players being launched, you can use your momentum to launch yourself off them mid launch and go even faster. This ends up in a massive scrap on the middle where the disc spawns.

And then this is to go even further beyond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqAAhRFh-Y

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Pretty happy with this, just a pair of headphones and a small screwdriver and Rift S lovely sound is gone

No 3D printed bits or ridiculously expensive kits either.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 18, 2020

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I tried another game today and it wasn't great......

Towermax Fitness (Free)
https://towermax.fitness/
This is a suite of free fitness games aimed at experienced athletes. The main draws are The Tower and React. These are martial arts style workouts that will generate an array of targets to hit and fists/beams to dodge. You navigate to their website through your in-headset browser, click VR Portal, and they should instantly work through an embed. If you have Vive leg trackers you can use kicks. If you have don't it should set itself to punches only by default.

On The Tower you're supposed to hit blocks in a specified combo order. The hits make the platform you're standing on rise. The idea is that you start on the ground floor and by the end of the session you're high in the air. The music is streamed through Soundcloud, which is cool, but the mapping the game generates is awful. I've had it repeat the same lazy 1-2 combo twenty times in a row with no variation.

React is more like using a Wing Chun dummy. A bunch of stuff materialize directly in front of you and you need to rapidly bat everything aside. The flow on this also felt pretty bad. There's a track game. There's a 2D fighting game that uses your body's inputs. There's a punching bag with dynamically generated target points and obstacles to dodge. There's also instructor led fitness sessions. I did not bother trying to figure out the group sessions. Overall I did not like the experience. I could see the Tower being a good game if they can vastly improve the level generation.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my monthly post to indicate that Soundboxing is by far the most strenuous rhythm game I play. Booted it up the other day for the first time in a couple months and 2 songs had my shoulders sore for a couple days.

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/7417bbe8-740e-11e8-bbef-0a580a20050f hit play demo on this site for an idea, it's basically beat saber but you need to punch things as hard as you can from your feet to above your head, rather than using extendo-arms. that makes a huge difference in effort level.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

EbolaIvory posted:

When I still played regularly, it worked really well actually. IMO its better than audio shields generation at least. And audio shield was pretty good. :)

Super fast stuff ends up being a bit on the slower side because the game simply will not go over so many notes per whatever length of song and I think the game has some hidden internal cap for BPM. BUT i was super happy all around. Rarely would it put out something unplayable.

The funny thing is when a few songs do the opposite -- for some reason generate a slow song as like double the BPS it should be. For some reason on my system it thinks "I Got Five On It" is like the fastest track in the world, it's just constant blistering combos.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

StarkRavingMad posted:

The funny thing is when a few songs do the opposite -- for some reason generate a slow song as like double the BPS it should be. For some reason on my system it thinks "I Got Five On It" is like the fastest track in the world, it's just constant blistering combos.

Hahaha omg yes. It picks up vocals sometimes as beat and its hilaaaaarious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Rebuff Reality (the guys that made the powerpack/counterweight accessory for the Quest) are making Clip-on Index-style speakers for VR headsets. The basic concept's been seen before with Bionik's Mantis earphones, so I'm really hoping these deliver as-advertized.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to play Lone Echo with SteamVR?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Nektu posted:

Is there a way to play Lone Echo with SteamVR?

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Maybe it's me but everything I've played with revive has run like crap (lone echo and stormlands). That's with a 2070 and an i7-7700 so your results may vary.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rebuff Reality (the guys that made the powerpack/counterweight accessory for the Quest) are making Clip-on Index-style speakers for VR headsets. The basic concept's been seen before with Bionik's Mantis earphones, so I'm really hoping these deliver as-advertized.

aren't the index's earspeakers overengineered (and therefore expensive)? i find it unlikely that a small company would be able to come out with a profitable high quality equivalent of it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Inacio posted:

aren't the index's earspeakers overengineered (and therefore expensive)? i find it unlikely that a small company would be able to come out with a profitable high quality equivalent of it.

The index speakers are engineered with balanced drivers but it’s ultimately not anything super fancy, just a clever solution and a quality (but not expensive) part. The software stack for the audio is just as important t.

There’s not a chance in hell some third party is going to create an audio solution for other headsets that comes remotely close to the audio quality though.

The index audio doesn’t compete with other headsets audio, it competes with $300+ audiophile headphones.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
This might have been posted already but today is the last day of Viveport’s subscription sale for $27/year.

https://www.viveport.com/infinity

My kids have really gotten into VR the past few weeks so this was a no-brainer for me. You’re not going to find a lot of AAA titles but plenty of smaller games worth your time.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
So my Occulus Link suddenly doesn't recognize my USB3 port/cable. Was working fine about a week ago, updated software on desktop, and headset is stuck at 15.0. Not sure what to do, did the restart/unplug juggling. Worked fine for months without an issue before now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone try out No King No Kingdom? It looks interesting but that mixed rating causes concern.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sacred Cow posted:

This might have been posted already but today is the last day of Viveport’s subscription sale for $27/year.

https://www.viveport.com/infinity

My kids have really gotten into VR the past few weeks so this was a no-brainer for me. You’re not going to find a lot of AAA titles but plenty of smaller games worth your time.

It took me a few moments to realize this is different than Revive. So this is a sub for indie VR games that are financed by this company? The FAQ wasn't very helpful.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nuts and Gum posted:

It took me a few moments to realize this is different than Revive. So this is a sub for indie VR games that are financed by this company? The FAQ wasn't very helpful.

It seems to be Game Pass for Vive basically.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just looked at Viveport to see if the selection of games had improved, and I saw this:

"Best on Cosmos", lol

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I'm interested in buying prescription lens inserts for my index since my glasses press into my face uncomfortably when playing, which makes it hard to fit the headset properly resulting in lots of swim, especially when leaning or looking down.

Unfortunately, VR Optician can not longer ship to Canada due to the COVID situation. Has anyone had any experience with WidmoVR or VR Lens Lab? Any complaints?

Brownie fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 20, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Got my Quest last week, already knee-deep in accessories and mods for it. This thing is just amazing for someone like myself who never touched VR before and doesn't have a computer capable of driving anything more. My whole family (wife and 3 boys) are absolutely hooked. Already picked up Beat Saber (Imagine Dragons and Panic at the Disco packs too), Virtual Desktop, Space Pirate Trainer, and Superhot.

I dabbled a bit using VD by remoting into my Laptop to try a 3d movie (Ready Player One) and was really impressed by that, going to have to find some other great 3D movie/shows/documentaries to grab. I fired up DOOM 2016 after pairing the Quest with an XBONE controller and was really surprised at the quality! The input lag was slightly noticeable and may try to use the BT directly with the laptop going forward.

This thing is from the goddamned future and I can't believe it's taking me this long to find it!

My battery pack, short audio cable, and velcro arrived today and MY LORD is this counterweight a gigantic improvement. I didn't realize how much the mask slipped on my face before it was in place and the headphones bring such an improved experience!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

rage-saq posted:

The index audio doesn’t compete with other headsets audio, it competes with $300+ audiophile headphones.

Ooh this has me intrigued now. The original Oculus Rift had amazing sound / 3D positional audio, and every headset I've tried since (Rift S, quest, a few WMR, vive / vive pro) have not lived up to it.

I know binaural audio was considered a major part of the experience in the early oculus dev days and over the years it appears to be less and less important.

Admittedly the QOL of the quest's audio strap things being able to hear what's going on in the world around you is fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not an expert on audio quality because I have hearing loss, but the Index is great. Maybe not as bassy as one would want, but it sounds great. it having speakers and not headphones means there's nothing touching your ears and you don't have to worry about people complaining about over/on ear headphones.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Isometric Bacon posted:

Ooh this has me intrigued now. The original Oculus Rift had amazing sound / 3D positional audio, and every headset I've tried since (Rift S, quest, a few WMR, vive / vive pro) have not lived up to it.

The Rift is what I had before and the only other headset to have an acceptable level of quality. Vive das / vive pro have really high distortion and sound really shrill, and other than that the others aren’t even trying. The rift and quest are total garbage on the audio front.

The index is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond the Rift. It’s not really a fair comparison as the rift was made to compete with audio quality from regular high end PC headsets, and it does an admirable job except for the mic.
The index is on a whole different level here, mic as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

The Rift is what I had before and the only other headset to have an acceptable level of quality. Vive das / vive pro have really high distortion and sound really shrill, and other than that the others aren’t even trying. The rift and quest are total garbage on the audio front.

The index is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond the Rift. It’s not really a fair comparison as the rift was made to compete with audio quality from regular high end PC headsets, and it does an admirable job except for the mic.
The index is on a whole different level here, mic as well.

I've gotten to hear a friend go from Vive mic to Index mic and holy poo poo is the difference noticeable.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've gotten to hear a friend go from Vive mic to Index mic and holy poo poo is the difference noticeable.

I went from a modmic5 to an index and it was still a massive improvement

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Besides sideloading the Go version of minecraft VR onto the quest, is there anything vaguely similar to minecraft yet

I have an idea for a floorplan but want to walk around in it first etc

A bunch of people have written toy, minecraft-compatible clients, maybe one of those has a Quest compatibility mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

so I have PSVR but it's annoying to set up and tear down and heavy and I'm kind of tired of the selection of games. Is there significantly more that I can do (game or experience wise) with an Oculus Quest, or would the main difference be in image quality and portability/comfort? Most of the highly recommended Quest games are ones I've played on PSVR already

I'm trying to decide between a standalone VR platform or a non-VR gaming pc to tide me over during quarantine. I haven't had a PC since August and I sort of prefer it this way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 20, 2020