Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Why would you ever remove garlic?

The more you process garlic, the stronger the flavor, so a smashed clove is going to be less pungent than a sliced clove which is less than a minced clove which is less than one that's been worked to paste.

Bacon's a cooked meat and heavily salted, so as long as there's nothing actually growing on it, it's fine. Fry a little up in a pan to render out some fat any time you're going to saute something in oil or butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I remember someone (Kenji maybe probably) mentioning that garlic is also more pungent when put through like a garlic press or smashed to oblivion as opposed to minced fine with a knife. Something to do with burst cells or something?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Liquid Communism posted:

Bacon's a cooked meat and heavily salted, so as long as there's nothing actually growing on it, it's fine. Fry a little up in a pan to render out some fat any time you're going to saute something in oil or butter.
But if (say) I want to save all the fat at once in a single container, it's a lot more convenient to fry it all at once. But then there's the matter of saving \ preserving \ making it retain flavor and freshness in the fridge.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Xander77 posted:

2. I have a large-ish slice of bacon that's been sitting in my fridge for several weeks (all wrapped up ). I feel like it's eventually going to spoil, so I should cook it... but what's a good way to cook \ preserve bacon so that it lasts for a week or two?

Cook it, crumble it, freeze it. Bacon lasts forever in the freezer, cooked or uncooked. I keep blocks of sliced bacon frozen in the freezer, and just slice lardons off the frozen block as needed, about an ounce at a time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xander77 posted:

But if (say) I want to save all the fat at once in a single container, it's a lot more convenient to fry it all at once. But then there's the matter of saving \ preserving \ making it retain flavor and freshness in the fridge.

That's even easier. Render off the fat, pour it into a jar through a filter (coffee filter or a couple paper towel layers) in order to get the meat bits that can go rancid out, huck it in the fridge. Good for six months minimum, don't add hot grease to a cold jar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

I remember someone (Kenji maybe probably) mentioning that garlic is also more pungent when put through like a garlic press or smashed to oblivion as opposed to minced fine with a knife. Something to do with burst cells or something?

When you crush the garlic you release more of the aromatic compounds than when it's sliced cleanly with a knife.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Liquid Communism posted:

That's even easier. Render off the fat, pour it into a jar through a filter (coffee filter or a couple paper towel layers) in order to get the meat bits that can go rancid out, huck it in the fridge. Good for six months minimum, don't add hot grease to a cold jar.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Not the fat, the bacon itself.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Can someone please tell me why the gently caress my brownies are coming out so oily?

I tried two recipes that claimed they were for fudgey brownies - one from Bon Appétit and one from Sally's Baking Addiction. They were reasonably similar. Both came out so greasy that I need to rest the brownies on a paper towel to soak up the bottom oil and do a serious handwashing after holding a piece. The center is almost liquid, but they passed the toothpick test.

I just want to make a decent bakery style dense brownie with a ganache like frosting on top. It shouldn't be so hard, right?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

is there a reason to use a whole smashed clove instead of (say) cutting it up into several thin slices than can be easily removed?

one reason could be it doesn't burn as easily, so you can leave it in the pan longer. it still continues to flavor a dish, and you end up with a roasted/pan-roasted garlic clove as a little snack after.

I'm basically regurgitating what Melissa Clark says in this video

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Happiness Commando posted:

Can someone please tell me why the gently caress my brownies are coming out so oily?

I tried two recipes that claimed they were for fudgey brownies - one from Bon Appétit and one from Sally's Baking Addiction. They were reasonably similar. Both came out so greasy that I need to rest the brownies on a paper towel to soak up the bottom oil and do a serious handwashing after holding a piece. The center is almost liquid, but they passed the toothpick test.

I just want to make a decent bakery style dense brownie with a ganache like frosting on top. It shouldn't be so hard, right?

Are you measuring your ingredients using a kitchen scale, or via measuring cups? Weight will always be more accurate, so if you don't already have a kitchen scale I'd suggest getting one.

Both the recipes you mentioned are solid and should get you good brownies, and I suspect it's due to a mis-match in the flour:fat ratio.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Scientastic posted:

How can I turn a load of peach juice into sorbet?

From last page but agar agar added to a fruit puree and sugar to taste makes a nice sorbet that stays scoopable.

It's about 4 c puree to 1 c sugar but peaches are pretty sweet so add less and taste lemon juice and salt to taste as well.

Corn syrup or another invert sugar can help make sorbets creamier as well.

I've always done sorbets to taste so can't give an actual recipe as purees can vary so much from fruit to fruit.

Nice thing about sorbets is if you don't like the texture when it's frozen you can always let it melt down adjust it and refreeze it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

well you are spraying or putting a little oil on the inside of the pan/tray when baking right? how much are you applying? is it possible you're putting too much on before adding the batter?

i compared the SBA recipe to serious eats brownies and the ratios between ingredient seem pretty close except stella's recipe has way more butter and a bit more sugar (brown and white), and i have never had it come out greasy.

also worth it to check if your oven is really at the temp you're setting it to, could be running cold and throwing off your cook times.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

DasNeonLicht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2XpKKAx5yo

I cannot vouch for this recipe, but I watched this video out of curiosity to find out what they were and how they were made about a year ago, and I think Rick does a pretty good job at breaking them down. He makes a beans and cheese pupusa. There seems to be a bit of technique involved in handling the dough, but they seem somewhat forgiving. For added flavor, I think you'd traditionally fry them in lard.

Recipe was pretty good, I watch a lot of non appetit but somehow hadn't seen this one. Took some practice to not get bean blowouts, but the hosed up ones still were good

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to make sour cream because you can't buy it here in Korea, but after 36 hours, my attempt is still super runny. I don't think it's any thicker than the milk and cream I started with. There are some thicker bits forming at the surface, but the rest of it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

This is my second time attempting this. The first time I tried adding more lemon juice and stuff, but it didn't work then either.

The milk claims to be 7% fat and the cream doesn't say. I've been letting it sit at roughly room temperature in a bowl covered in plastic wrap.

I'm not sure if it needs more heat or more acid or more fat or maybe it needs air? How can I convince it to become proper sour cream?

Edit: The smell and taste are kind of suspicious. I think I'm going to start over. Does anyone have a reliable sour cream recipe?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 19, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I saw the picture first and thought you managed to make this incredibly thin chocolate lava cake that was just oozing chocolate :saddowns:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wasn't there a snack exchange thread?

wanted to see if anyone could send these
https://hypebeast.com/2020/4/oreo-peach-oolong-sakura-matcha-release

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

the brainwaves are thinking
I've recently had cravings for grilled cheese and have such developed a mild addiction to it, I've tried using cheddar, mozzarella, gouda and I think that's a combination that's working for me so far. But I want MORE, added ham and bacon to the mix too, wondering, what are goon's favorite stuff to put in grilled cheese to really amp it up and make it more than what we had as kids?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey I been feeding my sourdough AP flour for years but I saw someone advocating a mix of whole wheat and AP. Anyone know if it makes a difference?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thumposaurus posted:

Nice thing about sorbets is if you don't like the texture when it's frozen you can always let it melt down adjust it and refreeze it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, this is amazing

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

TatoPancakes posted:

I've recently had cravings for grilled cheese and have such developed a mild addiction to it, I've tried using cheddar, mozzarella, gouda and I think that's a combination that's working for me so far. But I want MORE, added ham and bacon to the mix too, wondering, what are goon's favorite stuff to put in grilled cheese to really amp it up and make it more than what we had as kids?

Back when I used to have random, intoxicated visitors, I used to make an egg in a basket with one side a bit undercooked, put basil, tomato, and mozzarella on it, and then pop it under a broiler until the cheese was browned and the undercooked side was finished.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use extra mature cheddar (I think Americans call it “sharp” cheddar), whatever deli meat is to hand, finely sliced onions and pickled gherkins and jalapeños. I fry the sandwich in butter and usually have it with homemade soup of some kind

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I been feeding my sourdough AP flour for years but I saw someone advocating a mix of whole wheat and AP. Anyone know if it makes a difference?

It can change the flavors provided. I feed mine on AP and rye flour, which provides both taste and makes it a pretty fierce grower.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TatoPancakes posted:

Worcestershire sauce or marmite

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TatoPancakes posted:

Cheddar, blue cheese and caramelized onion jam.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TatoPancakes posted:

Kimchi is by far the best grilled cheese addition that I discovered in recent years. It is A-mazing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

I'm trying to make sour cream because you can't buy it here in Korea, but after 36 hours, my attempt is still super runny. I don't think it's any thicker than the milk and cream I started with. There are some thicker bits forming at the surface, but the rest of it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

This is my second time attempting this. The first time I tried adding more lemon juice and stuff, but it didn't work then either.

The milk claims to be 7% fat and the cream doesn't say. I've been letting it sit at roughly room temperature in a bowl covered in plastic wrap.

I'm not sure if it needs more heat or more acid or more fat or maybe it needs air? How can I convince it to become proper sour cream?

Edit: The smell and taste are kind of suspicious. I think I'm going to start over. Does anyone have a reliable sour cream recipe?

Do you have a starter? I’d bet the cream/milk are pasteurized, so you’ll have to introduce some good bacteria to get optimal results. Since you’re in Korea, I’m not sure where you can get the right starters. I’d probably look for yogurt starter vendors or cheese making vendors to see if they have a sour cream culture. Those should come with instructions. In principle once you’ve got some started it may be possible to just add some of your fermented sour cream to new batches if you go through a lot of it. That way the starter is just a seed culture and you can propagate it.

I don’t think you’ll need to add lemon to it if it’s fermented enough. The bacteria should do that for you.

You may or may not be able to get it as thick as stuff in the US. Often home ferments of yogurt are less thick than the commercial stuff. Probably variables like dairy sourcing and handling, the exact cultures, and fermentation conditions will affect the texture.

I checked my copy of The Art of Fermentation by Katz, but it’s oddly missing sour cream, which is weird since it talks about some very obscure ferments but misses an extremely common one. He says that for a Crème Fraîche (I guess basically sour cream but a little different) either raw milk is used (which would contain bacteria for fermentation), or some buttermilk with live cultures is added. Live buttermilk may be as hard to find as live sour cream or starters though. So if you can’t find a starter that can be shipped to Korea, then maybe look for a buttermilk starter or a cultured butter starter. Katz seems to think these are all related so maybe you could get sour cream with those as well.

You’re right on with rejecting stuff based on smell. That’s there usual advice for fermentation. If you’re nose says “Nope!” then it’s best to ditch it, since your nose is actually pretty good at protecting you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TatoPancakes posted:

chop up some kimchi, wring it out a bit to reduce the moisture and slap that in there, call it a kimcheeze

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone have a recipe for the absolute ultimate croque monsieur?
I’m thinking sourdough and I just want to elevate the rest :)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

Do you have a starter? I’d bet the cream/milk are pasteurized, so you’ll have to introduce some good bacteria to get optimal results. Since you’re in Korea, I’m not sure where you can get the right starters. I’d probably look for yogurt starter vendors or cheese making vendors to see if they have a sour cream culture. Those should come with instructions. In principle once you’ve got some started it may be possible to just add some of your fermented sour cream to new batches if you go through a lot of it. That way the starter is just a seed culture and you can propagate it.

I don’t think you’ll need to add lemon to it if it’s fermented enough. The bacteria should do that for you.

You may or may not be able to get it as thick as stuff in the US. Often home ferments of yogurt are less thick than the commercial stuff. Probably variables like dairy sourcing and handling, the exact cultures, and fermentation conditions will affect the texture.

I checked my copy of The Art of Fermentation by Katz, but it’s oddly missing sour cream, which is weird since it talks about some very obscure ferments but misses an extremely common one. He says that for a Crème Fraîche (I guess basically sour cream but a little different) either raw milk is used (which would contain bacteria for fermentation), or some buttermilk with live cultures is added. Live buttermilk may be as hard to find as live sour cream or starters though. So if you can’t find a starter that can be shipped to Korea, then maybe look for a buttermilk starter or a cultured butter starter. Katz seems to think these are all related so maybe you could get sour cream with those as well.

You’re right on with rejecting stuff based on smell. That’s there usual advice for fermentation. If you’re nose says “Nope!” then it’s best to ditch it, since your nose is actually pretty good at protecting you.

To be fair, my nose said, "This smells delicious, but maybe not correct? ...or maybe correct? When did we last smell sour cream..."

No, I used lemon juice.
Milk + heavy cream + lemon juice.
That's all.

I was hoping that would work, but I did more research and have arrived at the conclusion, that yeah, I need a culture.
I leave in two weeks and the language barrier is a bit much, so buying the cultures is probably going to be a bit too much effort.

I looked deeper into if I could just buy sour cream, and it seems there are some Korean brands making it. So I'll see if I can get some when I go into the big city next week. Maybe a city supermarket will carry it.

Using an existing source as a seed is how I converted not enough cream cheese into more cream cheese though! I'm very proud of that, haha.

I've now got ricotta cheese and cream cheese. I just need sour cream. One day, I'll make these blintzes... One day...

Thanks for the help!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone have a recipe for the absolute ultimate croque monsieur?
I’m thinking sourdough and I just want to elevate the rest :)

you just gotta use quality poo poo

/e maybe do a sourdough challah or w/e

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 19, 2020

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

poeticoddity posted:

Back when I used to have random, intoxicated visitors, I used to make an egg in a basket with one side a bit undercooked, put basil, tomato, and mozzarella on it, and then pop it under a broiler until the cheese was browned and the undercooked side was finished.

That almost seems like a European breakfast grilled cheese, I'll have to try that out.

What exactly is kimchi? I looked it up, some kind of korean fermented cabbage? I've never had anything like that before not sure what kind of flavor that would bring to an "american" style dish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shadow0 posted:

I looked deeper into if I could just buy sour cream, and it seems there are some Korean brands making it. So I'll see if I can get some when I go into the big city next week. Maybe a city supermarket will carry it.

What's your local big city? Costco has sour cream, that's where we would get it. If you're going to Seoul or Busan I'm sure there's plenty of places to buy some, I can ask around.

There was also a nice unsweetened sour yogurt that I used to use as a substitute, but I haven't lived in Korea for years so who knows if that still exists. It was a Korean brand but I don't remember the name, I just looked through yogurt ingredient lists until I found one without any sweeteners.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

TatoPancakes posted:

What exactly is kimchi? I looked it up, some kind of korean fermented cabbage? I've never had anything like that before not sure what kind of flavor that would bring to an "american" style dish.

Well first off there's nothing inherently American about a fried cheese sandwich. Kimchi is gonna give you crunch and tanginess and a bit of spiciness, all of which are perfect with melty cheese. Buy a jar next time you see it on a shelf, it complements a surprising variety of foods.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

Def gonna try that then, can I get it in a regular grocery store or what

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TatoPancakes posted:

Def gonna try that then, can I get it in a regular grocery store or what

Sometimes. Are you in the US? Cuz there's always a couple ~~~ probiotics are good for you ~~~~ hippie rear end white person jars in larger stores.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

Casu Marzu posted:

Sometimes. Are you in the US? Cuz there's always a couple ~~~ probiotics are good for you ~~~~ hippie rear end white person jars in larger stores.

I live in Southern Ontario Canada, so I'd imagine there's some kinda store near me that sells it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you have any Asian grocery stores nearby?

A lot of not NYC/Toronto/Chicago/whatever size cities don't have a large enough individual population to warrant say, a Korean grocery. Instead, it will be a one stop shop for brown people. When I lived in buttfuck nowhere WI the town we'd get groceries in had one store run by a Hmong couple that stocked basics for Chinese/Korean/Thai/Viet cuisine and then a random smattering of African, Hispanic and Indian ingredients.

TatoPancakes
Jun 5, 2019

Casu Marzu posted:

Do you have any Asian grocery stores nearby?

A lot of not NYC/Toronto/Chicago/whatever size cities don't have a large enough individual population to warrant say, a Korean grocery. Instead, it will be a one stop shop for brown people. When I lived in buttfuck nowhere WI the town we'd get groceries in had one store run by a Hmong couple that stocked basics for Chinese/Korean/Thai/Viet cuisine and then a random smattering of African, Hispanic and Indian ingredients.

Nearby? No. But I'm about 2 hours drive from Toronto so I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for there, I don't know of any off the top of my head, but that's what the internets for. Given Toronto politics it would probably be racist for them not to have an asian grocery

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

About buying kimchi at mass-market american stores, I bought kimchi at Target once on a whim, and it was way too sour for me. I took a bite and my mouth just puckered up, and it didn't really have the garlicy/funky/savory notes to back it up. I think it might have just been a bit older, usually kimchi isn't that sour. IMO you'll have much better luck finding some good kimchi at an asian grocery, if only because their stock will rotate faster. Some places may even make their own and put it in clamshell containers instead of jars.

In the context of american food I think it's not as odd as it seems at first pass. Reubens are a fairly common sandwich that contain fermented cabbage as a main ingredient, plus it's even grilled. Kimchi is also fermented cabbage, but it trades the focus on the lactic acid sourness for a bigger emphasis on the funky, savory, and spice notes. Sauerkraut also has a distinctive flavor it brings from the green cabbage and I think kimchi also has its own distinctive cabbage flavor as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kimchi is the real national dish of korea, the bibimbap is for the tourism agency to have something to work with

find a korean person in your area who still has an accent, they'll know how to get kimchi