Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

Hypothetically the early Labour COBRA meetings would have spurred increased domestic production of medical necessities and earlier approaching of the engineering firms to develop new ventilators as part of the revitalising manufacturing and greening production along with not such a half arsed re-recruitment program for NHS workers so we would actually have been in a better state to deal with the situation even as the media openly made things worse by criticising every part of the response plan and telling people to keep going out.

More than hypothetically: there's no way that Corbyn ignores the first invitation from the EU to join a PPE bulk buy, let alone the others. We also get a lockdown in the first week of March, and do all those things in the readiness plan that would have given us outcomes comparable with Singapore or Germany instead of fighting the US for the Stupidest Cunts In Power Award.

As for the media: I can't see a Corbyn-led Labour government not doing something to clean that house from 13th December.

E: 19th April 1818 - Venezuela achieves home rule. This is bad for Vicente Emparan.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Her Dryer posted:

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1251810159686569986

The new desperate journo tactics of equating newspapers with food is so pathetic, jesus.

You know I went to bed after my night shift wondering how all the blueticks who spent the last six weeks mocking anyone who questioned the government response would respond to the proof that they were wrong. Of Course nothing changes and they're still just mocking the public rather than come to terms with the awful nature of the tory party.

Because they're all far angrier that people aren't paying to find out the government are killing people than knowing the government is killing people and it's far easier than doing any self reflection.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

More than hypothetically: there's no way that Corbyn ignores the first invitation from the EU to join a PPE bulk buy, let alone the others. We also get a lockdown in the first week of March, and do all those things in the readiness plan that would have given us outcomes comparable with Singapore or Germany instead of fighting the US for the Stupidest Cunts In Power Award.

As for the media: I can't see a Corbyn-led Labour government not doing something to clean that house from 13th December.

E: 19th April 1818 - Venezuela achieves home rule. This is bad for Vicente Emparan.

Taking on the press would take time and involve a massive internal fight in Labour where all the freaks would try and throw their toys out the pram trying to defend the Murdoch press, it'd be sidelined by the Virus by which time the press would immediately be astroturfing protests in the home counties where their base are encouraged to go out and lick doorhandles to defy Stalinist Corbyn like is currently happening in America.

Hate to say it but the Corbyn project was hosed from the moment Corbyn didn't purge the Blairites.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

do what exactly? they’re not passing any legislation over the xmas break

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I mean the difference between a food item and a paper containing completely worthless information is that the former has value to a consumer.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

No new legislation would have been passed in the last 4 months and even just things like announcing a proper regulatory body for the press would have started the accusations of Red Repression which would have rolled into the pandemic.

A bonus would be the morale for the left in public to just go to town on ruining the credibility of the press in general and try and break as many people out of believing what they read.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So my parents fell into brexit hard. They were always wishy washy when it came to politics, didn't pay much attention voted Labour cause that's what everyone does round here kind of thing.

Then brexit happened, they went off the deep end. Dad started posting the usual bum the poppy isn't Boris great, corbyn lol stuff and many upsetting conversations were had between us.

Now though an interesting thing has happened. Brexit has spurred both of them to pay more attention to politics and the government's mishandling of corona has caused what seems like a switch to flip.

They are in a rage at the government and Boris. I sent them the times article and they had already read it. They are receptive to left wing ideas again. Their WhatsApp groups are sharing stuff attacking the government on a range of issues. It's like the over 50s hive mind has woken up.

N=1 and all that but I'm thankful my family appears to be sane again and I'm actually slightly hopeful whatever foul magic the tories used to mystify the public is wearing off.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Times accidentally did a journalism six weeks after it was obvious to any leftist shitposter that the government was loving up and that means you have to pay the transphobic, Islamophobic bigots in their campaign to change the leader of the Tories from The Telegraph's boy to the Murdoch's boy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

im not convinced labour would have got out ahead of this either.

both corbyn labour and bojo tories were having all their attention occupied by internal rearranging and preparing for a huge political project. neither would have wanted this to be real until it was late in the day.

however obviously the actual response once it happened would have been better. i do think probably the press would have savaged labour to death by now and lmao at the idea of corbyn tackling them. they never had any plan to deal with the media other than hoping they could ignore it and still win which... whoops

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

i don't have to wake up every sunday to news of mars bars attacking the abstract concept of trans children so they get a pass imo

Yorkie bars are probably anti-trans tho

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

gove has watched one too many movies and thinks it sounds cool

I'm going in hot!!!

*Gove runs naked into a covid-19 ward, clapping and drinking from a glass of water*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Communist Thoughts posted:

im not convinced labour would have got out ahead of this either.

both corbyn labour and bojo tories were having all their attention occupied by internal rearranging and preparing for a huge political project. neither would have wanted this to be real until it was late in the day.

however obviously the actual response once it happened would have been better. i do think probably the press would have savaged labour to death by now and lmao at the idea of corbyn tackling them. they never had any plan to deal with the media other than hoping they could ignore it and still win which... whoops

The bar has been set so low by Boris that all any alternative PM had to do to "get out ahead of this" was attend some of the meetings they were invited to, and check their emails/answering machines.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Someone pointed out on Twitter: Gordon Brown went to ALL COBR meetings during the Foot and Mouth crisis in 2007 and that didn't even affect human life. Also, the tories are now pushing the idea that PM's don't _need_ to attend crisis meetings. This implies, to me at least, that johnson's idea of leadership is to let the underlings scrap it out between themselves and the winner of said scrap gets to present their ideas for approval by the PM. Couple that with the cult of personality that is being built around johnson by the Telegraph etc and it's pretty scary.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Filboid Studge posted:

Yeah agreed.

I’m a union rep in a large-ish (c. 2,000 headcount) public sector body. We were in the fortunate position that we’d invested heavily in infrastructure and culture for agile working over the last few years- for office-based staff, 70% ish, there hasn’t been an infrastructure barrier.

Reps have been delegated the authority from our senior execs to bollock any manager who attempts to extract more work from their team members who can’t work their normal hours due to childcare etc. Our chief exec has been doing vlogs talking about how physically and emotionally difficult it’s been for her trying to do her job from her kitchen table with her family around.

It may not last forever, but there’s been a massive humanization of many people because their professional personas have been eroded. We’re seeing more mental health support groups appearing on internal social media, and directors are talking like humans about shared joys with young folk on the living wage. It’s really quite heartening.

This has all been possible because we spent about six years fighting to get the culture broadly right before the poo poo hit the fan, and absolutely rejected things like routine online surveillance of staff.

Met Office? I ask because it sounds similar and I'm starting a new job there soon, so nice to hear there's a union presence.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Although if you’re ftm you can gleefully pretend they support you

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Angepain posted:

i never expected to see a quote-each-paragraph-seperately angry forum post on the government website

Any government takes two kinds of commentator seriously: people who can influence the population en masse, and people who can persuade the elite. These are the only two kinds of commentator that can credibly pose any threat to a sitting government by publishing an article.

Peter Foster used to be a senior guy at the Telegraph and is now a senior guy at the FT. He’s a credible source to the kind of people the government acknowledge exist as individuals, and the article he edited and the subsequent Twitter thread was pretty much a declaration of war, because it directly accuses the country’s leaders of incompetence.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're made by Nestle anyway, a company you absolutely SHOULD NOT be giving any of your money to.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 19, 2020

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm going in hot!!!

*Gove runs naked into a covid-19 ward, clapping and drinking from a glass of water*

"Let me do it, Boris. I know I can defeat the virus. I was a journalist, for the Times."

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yorkie bars are so poo poo they had to pivot to be "the well'ard chocolate only for real manly men" in order to go after the 'dumbass man too insecure to buy chocolate' demographic because no one in their right mind would seek out their poo poo bricks of sub-cheap-easteregg level filth over literally any other brand of chocolate.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What was the UKMT approved head trimmers we decided on? Apart from mdm guillotine ofc.

I kinda think I look pretty now I've shaved my beard to wear a mask and my hair is growing out, but it's thinning at the front nowadays and is looking kinda stupid. So I wanna shave that stuff and go fully hairless.

My partner misses my beard but Im beautiful like a woman now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yorkie bars have the same energy as Waterstones selling “man tins” for “leads, cables, (and other pointless stuff I must keep)” and no “woman tin” saying the same thing, like it’s nineteen ninety loving four.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Her Dryer posted:

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1251810159686569986

The new desperate journo tactics of equating newspapers with food is so pathetic, jesus.

My newsagent keeps trying to sell me runny turds that have been poured into mars bar wrappers. Everyone on twitter is like 'here is a photo of the open wrapper and all the runny turd inside but the mars CEO is like 'you can't look at that, you have to buy the runny turds and taste them for yourself otherwise I don't get my bonus this year'

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this tweet and I think that it's a good breakdown as to why the Newspapers are going all out.

https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1251780661146509312?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tabloids can't go anti Johnson yet, because the readership might start disliking Tories.

learnincurve posted:

Yorkie bars have the same energy as Waterstones selling “man tins” for “leads, cables, (and other pointless stuff I must keep)” and no “woman tin” saying the same thing, like it’s nineteen ninety loving four.
What's a man tin and how many mans can I put in one?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dog Pipes posted:

This implies, to me at least, that johnson's idea of leadership is to let the underlings scrap it out between themselves and the winner of said scrap gets to present their ideas for approval by the PM. Couple that with the cult of personality that is being built around johnson by the Telegraph etc and it's pretty scary.

cool cool, like how the nazis did it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Women have dainty little boxes for to put their delicate trinkets in, most likely decorated with velvety, silky, lacey upholstery and a lid what opens easily so as what they do not break a nail in the process of the opening of it, I shouldn't wonder.

And it does play a tune when opened so as for to comfort them :allears:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

It's a hilarious read. Lots of non-rebuttals in grumpy language. It's going to get taken to pieces.
This is the UK goverment trying to do a journalism-right-back-at-ya like Trump did when he played his home video at a press conference the other day. Except Trump's stunt was smart enough to reach at the audience through the media's own platforms. Rather than use the beeb or drop this in a press conference, our government has launched it on a website with a readership of probably...15?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Tabloids can't go anti Johnson yet, because the readership might start disliking Tories.

It's like a man drawer but you can carry it around with you.

Also known as "pockets"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hey folks. Been trying to listen in/ chat over the past few days to all of this.

Been drinking today, enjoying the sunshine and trying to stay positive. Work is paying us in full throughout what is coming so that is good.

I know you folks have a lot on your plate, but I wanted to say thank you for listening to me ramble when I do ramble.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Endjinneer posted:

It's a hilarious read. Lots of non-rebuttals in grumpy language. It's going to get taken to pieces.
This is the UK goverment trying to do a journalism-right-back-at-ya like Trump did when he played his home video at a press conference the other day. Except Trump's stunt was smart enough to reach at the audience through the media's own platforms. Rather than use the beeb or drop this in a press conference, our government has launched it on a website with a readership of probably...15?

This is probably a test run to guage how the media react before they try the same on a larger platform.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Guavanaut posted:

Do you own a blender?

Enjoy your dreams everyone.

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/status/1251880404795170816

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

Hey folks. Been trying to listen in/ chat over the past few days to all of this.

Been drinking today, enjoying the sunshine and trying to stay positive. Work is paying us in full throughout what is coming so that is good.

I know you folks have a lot on your plate, but I wanted to say thank you for listening to me ramble when I do ramble.

Yer a good lad bman

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1250074457420582913?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My mum sent us this saying we're just a few weeks away from going back to normal. After pestering her for the source (The Sun) I was a bit more dubious.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Barry Foster posted:

Yer a good lad bman

As are you Barry. Please keep yourself safe, and if you do ever want to talk mental health please do.

Who is thinking this will last till at least June/July?

Also has anyone else become suddenly much more aware of their own mortality over the last few days?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

justcola posted:

My mum sent us this saying we're just a few weeks away from going back to normal. After pestering her for the source (The Sun) I was a bit more dubious.

lol we haven't even begun to see a drop in daily death totals yet, how is anyone expecting them to be able to reverse any social distancing measures in three weeks and not end up with us back where we are now immediately

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I predict the casualty figure for the first night all the pubs reopen at once will surpass the entire Corona virus death toll.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

learnincurve posted:

We're obviously still pretty awful but it's loving crazy how short a time has passed since this kind of embedded, lazy sexism was totally ubiquitous and didn't even register as remotely problematic to 99% of the population. The early 2000s were a hell of a time.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol they've got spiderboy doing the briefing and his cheeks are so rosy I'm sure he must have some sort of condition

daily rise today was "only" 596 dead people, for a total of 16,060 (in hospitals?)

somehow I don't think we're going to manage to keep it under 20,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

justcola posted:

Even ignoring the fact it's from the Sun, lots of people acting like once the lockdown is slowly rescinded, that'll be the end of lockdowns, not having potential waves of COVID 19 resulting in periodic lockdowns and such.

And yeah, that's without the fact that our government is trash and actively attempting to lift the lockdown in the next few weeks 100% will just add 1000s more to the alreasy obscene death count. Which isn't to say any of them won't try because they're all psychopaths and "Money Number Must Go Up" - hell, look at Gove wanting to "go in hot", and the government having to be forced to actually deal with this.

I did hear a rumour that they really wanted VE Day (8th May) to "return to normal", but who the gently caress knows at this point.

Josef bugman posted:

You're a good poster JB - as are all the peeps ITT - so also big thanks to you all for keeping me relatively sane and a place to rant and ramble.