Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, why does Railgun have to be affected by the Rona at this point in the arc :negative:

Well, I guess there's always Haikyuu for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh drat, I completely missed Sing "Yesterday" For Me got an anime adaptation this season. I remember reading that on...onemanga, I think the site was called? the general manga scans site before mangadex/kissmanga/whatever was immediately prior to those sites. long-rear end time ago, never finished it since I think the scans only got like a third of the way through it, but I remember it being pretty great. Looks like the adaptation is quite good too based on clips I've seen, that'll go on the backlog for sure.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im having a good time with it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/goliraman12/status/1250780733217497092?s=20
Phew.

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

:nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud::downsa:
:downsa::nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud:
so, is there anything worth watching this season for someone who just lost his job to that :china: virus? I mean is there something relatable sorta like welcome to the nhk? thanks :patriot:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

DAD NO posted:

so, is there anything worth watching this season for someone who just lost his job to that :china: virus? I mean is there something relatable sorta like welcome to the nhk? thanks :patriot:

What a post

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Endorph posted:

No anime is already finished. That isn't how the industry works. Period. Some stuff migt not get delayed, but its not because it's all done and they can just go home.

https://twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/1251147766048251905

Here's a guy who has some industry-insider knowledge. Don't take it as fact or anything but.

Is there a reason for this, because it sounds stupid. Does western animation work this way?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"please look forward to the next three episodes of stevie galaxy in fifteen months"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

western animation has its own quirks like producing a season and then nobody knows when it will air or in what regularity

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DAD NO posted:

is there something relatable sorta like welcome to the nhk? thanks :patriot:

Sing "Yesterday" for Me fits this mold pretty well.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Is there a reason for this, because it sounds stupid. Does western animation work this way?

Patware posted:

"please look forward to the next three episodes of stevie galaxy in fifteen months"

dogsicle posted:

western animation has its own quirks like producing a season and then nobody knows when it will air or in what regularity

Western Animation generally waits like a month and a half to 2 months after an ep is 100% finished before they air... if they're not sitting on finished episodes for way too long (which happens often).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It can take up to a year for western animation to make an episode, they just have multiple episodes in the production pipeline at a time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Western animation also basically completely outsources the inbetween animation, where in anime it's more common for inbetweens to be done inhouse.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not going to be for everyone but Nami yo Kiitekure is growing on me. Minare is extremely relatable and it's interesting to learn about Japanese radio and everyday Hokkaido life.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

Western animation also basically completely outsources the inbetween animation, where in anime it's more common for inbetweens to be done inhouse.

western tv animation usually just outsources literally all the animation, keys, inbetweens, etc (probably the biggest studio willing to regularly do stuff in-house is titmouse), just with the storyboards sometimes basically being rough animation. Like some studios do effects animation and/or retakes in-house, but yeah, mostly outsourcing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Think I'll be following Bakarina, Digimon, Tower of God, and Kaguya S2 at least.

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

Julias posted:

Sing "Yesterday" for Me fits this mold pretty well.

wow that's spot on thanks :shobon: also i clearly didn't mean that post in a bad way it was just stating the obvious but all in all it turned out alright since I found this anime.
I watched the 3 episodes out so far and I really like it, it almost feels like a spiritual successor to nhk in more than one way. now all I can do is just hope this redacted virus doesn't delay the other ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a big question to wonder about Kaguya-Sama season 2, and it's even more important than whether or not we'll actually get the full season;

Do we think we'll get another Chika Fujiwara song for the third-episode's ED? :allears:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a big question to wonder about Kaguya-Sama season 2, and it's even more important than whether or not we'll actually get the full season;

Do we think we'll get another Chika Fujiwara song for the third-episode's ED? :allears:

Exact same dance as the last one, but done by Ishigami.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

DAD NO posted:

wow that's spot on thanks :shobon: also i clearly didn't mean that post in a bad way it was just stating the obvious but all in all it turned out alright since I found this anime.

saying that you're "stating the obvious" and wasn't meant in a bad way still sucks btw. there's plenty of reports of asian american hate crime being on the rise and referring to covid-19 like that just continues to feed that kind of thinking

e: i say asian american because im american but im going to guess it's on the rise anywhere

Erg fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 19, 2020

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

yeah well those people are just using that as an excuse and they were always racists. i make it a point to smile at asian people i see in the grocery store and stand next to them while i'm shopping (while holding my breath :sweatdrop:) so they don't think everyone's an rear end in a top hat towards them.

i still can't get over how much this anime resembles welcome to the nhk. (nhk - top, yesterday - bottom)
it's almost like a spiritual successor. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by people who used to work the the studio that animated nhk..

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

wow we're just really posting now, baby

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DAD NO posted:

yeah well those people are just using that as an excuse and they were always racists. i make it a point to smile at asian people i see in the grocery store and stand next to them while i'm shopping (while holding my breath :sweatdrop:) so they don't think everyone's an rear end in a top hat towards them.

i still can't get over how much this anime resembles welcome to the nhk. (nhk - top, yesterday - bottom)
it's almost like a spiritual successor. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by people who used to work the the studio that animated nhk..

Nope, NHK was by Gonzo, Yesterday is by Doga Kobo (which is a big shock since it doesn't look like their usual output). Also the manga for Yesterday started in 1997, whereas the novel for NHK was published in 2002 with its manga starting in 2004.

Also to be clear the issue with calling Covid-19 a "Chinese virus", besides perpetuating racist stereotypes against asians, is that it lends credence to dumb conspiracy theories like that it was man made and directing all the blame on China as a country and deflecting from the failures of other countries such as the US to properly prepare for a pandemic and quarantine. The virus could have started anywhere, and it would have been equally horrific and disgusting to mark it by nationality.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

DAD NO posted:

this redacted virus

what the gently caress

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If it had started in the US the hogs would probably still have named it after China or some other country they hated. Last time a global pandemic originated in the US we called it the Spanish Flu.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

we aren't even sure where the spanish flu came from and diseases have been named after the area they came from forever, west nile disease, ebola, zika, nothing new

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
We’ve also stopped doing a lot of things that we realized caused harm, naming diseases after places is one of those things.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Davincie posted:

we aren't even sure where the spanish flu came from and diseases have been named after the area they came from forever, west nile disease, ebola, zika, nothing new
All credible evidence shows it to have originated in the US or France, and it would have been literally impossible for it to have originated in Spain, the place it was named after exclusively to propaganda purposes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's also not really a reason to call it "the china virus" when it. already has several other names that are in common usage. it's covid, it's coronavirus

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

All credible evidence shows it to have originated in the US or France, and it would have been literally impossible for it to have originated in Spain, the place it was named after exclusively to propaganda purposes.

so just like the discussion over the name now is pure propaganda :)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im just loling imagining the white goon standing 1 foot away from the old asian lady, smiling, while not breathing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

im just loling imagining the white goon standing 1 foot away from the old asian lady, smiling, while not breathing

yeah that was the truly incredible part imo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i move away from the mic to breath in

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't see chaplin disease anywhere?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
"Persian Fire" is a good one, hadn't seen it before.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

This is Syphillis, right?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Whenever I walk by one of the 20 Asian people that live in my town I give them the wave that Vegeta did to Trunks when he went back to his time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/air_news01/status/1251134949156990979?s=21

Spring Season 2020: Stuck Inside? At Least There's Last Year's Anime

I obviously think it's a good thing that so many anime studios are putting their workers' safety first, but the thread title is becoming increasingly ironic.

Pretty much all shows this season didn't seem interesting for me judging by one episode or their premise. I came here just to check if I'm missing something, and I'm gonna check this show based on the art here alone and I'm gonna be sad.

Throwing this out there but I wonder if we'll see any anime...innovations which we'll consider classics forced by any potential WfH situations? (I know Japanese work culture with regards to WfH is lovely and working in anime is double lovely). Something low-key/low production value that's able to experiment due to the current situation. I just hope the staff don't get extra hosed by this situation while they're expected to put in x amount of work :ohdear:

edit: I should really take the opportunity to watch the latest Chihayafuru season. Somehow even though I was a fan recommending it to my friends I just wasn't in the headspace to watch the newest season as it came out.