Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
I'll take a funtime guild invite, @stopjokingaboutmydad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites are caught up to this point, for both the main guild and crafting/decon guild.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/521860/update-26-combat-preview

Just when I thought ZOS couldn't make any more brain-dead decisions to further alienate their veteran players

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

JadaX posted:

- Lowest graphics, little 'clunky' at times but solo pve playable.
- FPS is a concern, sitting at 25 avg, dropped to single-digits when I was in the city with many other players.
- Did a trial to see how it would be, do not recommend at all (fps issues, laptop started to heat up very fast).
- PVP was unplayable for me.

Another thing to consider though, is that I'm currently not in the US and my ping to NA when I tested was 380 avg, so that also added to my issues, and made fps seem worse (getting fps drops and noticeable lag when I'm doing something).

I think it's playable solo/with friends, but doing anything with a large group will most probably not work (for long).

A bit late but you can play the game via PS Now on high smoothly with that.

You do have to use a controller and can't use mods but it's an option. It might be actually worth it in this case.

You'll need a PS4 controller though, or at least a compatible one. Also it's like 10 USD a month but you get ~800 games all-you-can-eat for that. It's pretty great I've been spending a lot of time with it lately.

There's a week long free trial too.

e: Also if you're going to try it set your monitor to 1080p or 720p 100% scaling, otherwise it freaks out. And the controller needs to be plugged in for latency reasons. I get around 120ms ping even including the extra latency (80ms ping from/to sony datacentre, 40ms ping to the PS now itself). And you might want to use ethernet if possible, wifi can add another 15-30ms or so.

It's available in other regions than NA too, and you can swap your region string in the PS now URL if your region is not supported. Though YMMV if you do that, but then there's the trial for that so whatever.

e2: To be clear it's basically PS4 netflix, you don't need an actual playstation for that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 17, 2020

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You don't need an actual playstation for it? I mean I have one at home, but it'd be cool if I could play on my computer at work too just using a controller and a login. Probably wouldn't use it for ESO since I play that on PC, but having that catalog of stuff to choose from would be awesome.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 17, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Inspector 34 posted:

You don't need an actual playstation for it? I mean I have one at home, but it'd be cool if I could play on my computer at work too just using a controller and a login. Probably wouldn't use it for ESO since I play that on PC, but having that catalog of stuff to choose from would be awesome.

Not at all, it's pretty great. Just buy a PS4 controller (or use your existing one) and off you go.

It's not all AAA games, but there's tons of stuff including PS4/PS3 exclusives like Until Dawn, Bloodborne and RDR1. The lag is only like a frame or so too, provided you have cable internet anyway. It's negligible enough that I'm maintaining a solid K:D ratio in the twitch dueling simulator For Honor.

I use it even though I have a relatively decent computer for PC gaming, some of the games on it are quite expensive (Wolfenstein, ROTK, Nobunaga's Ambition, Heavy Rain, Steep, Control, Just Cause 4, etc.) to get and it's nice to try them for free. It's also great not having to download anything and just being able to choose whatever game you want on a whim.

e: One issue though is that the PS4 controller is a bit unergonomic for long gaming sessions, it's easy to get RSI (never had one before despite being a programmer and occasional gamer, got one the third week of corona gaming on it exclusively).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 17, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Inspector 34 posted:

You can play on PC, Android, and iOS.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Awesome thanks for the info! Will check out the free trial and then forget to unsubscribe if I don't actually like it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like this game a lot. The dungeon’s art is pretty spectacular imho. The combat system is a nice change from wow style

I don’t know if I have time in my life for mmos anymore :( the time involved in the systems and doing anything is overwhelming

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Inspector 34 posted:

Awesome thanks for the info! Will check out the free trial and then forget to unsubscribe if I don't actually like it.

It won't even automatically resubscribe you after the trial ends either, it will just kick you of a game if you're playing at the time and have you choose a different "subscription".

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/521860/update-26-combat-preview

Just when I thought ZOS couldn't make any more brain-dead decisions to further alienate their veteran players

lmao that's pretty painful

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh my. I have learned another thing this game does not tell you about. If you have collected all the sky shards in an area and have the achievement then you can spend money in the eso store on giving them all to another character, so you only need to collect them all once.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Lessons learned over the past few weeks:

Consumables make a loving enormous difference.

Gear makes a loving enormous difference.

Crit surge and hardened ward on magsorc are loving bananas for soloing.

I was playing magsorc wrong and its pretty fun now, but magnecro has my heart right now.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Oh my. I have learned another thing this game does not tell you about. If you have collected all the sky shards in an area and have the achievement then you can spend money in the eso store on giving them all to another character, so you only need to collect them all once.

10 bucks per zone, 15 bucks per DLC zone, and 45 bucks if you want all the cyrodiil shards

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Scyantific posted:

10 bucks per zone, 15 bucks per DLC zone, and 45 bucks if you want all the cyrodiil shards

Yeah it's a bit much. The Cyro shards are the only ones that might be worth it, and even then I'd just get the ones for the enemies because of how difficult they are otherwise to get.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Scyantific posted:

Plus you're literally paying these absurd sums to give your alts LESS content, or at least less of a reason to engage in content. Maybe exploring and doing dungeons isn't everyone's favorite content... like if you're just 100% into endgame, maybe you would pay a king's ransom to skip it forever, but I kind of like actually having a reason to do that poo poo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

they should have just made skyshards account bound (like people have been asking for since launch) but that'd be a huge QoL boost so zos suits can't have that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Installing the base game is something like 75gb-- does that include all the DLCs that are just gated behind buying an access code? Or does the full version of this game reach like 300gb?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

All the content is always in the game yeah, that's how MMOs in general work, you might not have the expansion, but the expansion content is all still in there since everyone has to be on the same page.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I figured/was hoping that would be the case. I haven't played this game in two years, so I just wanna to do the base game and see if it grabs me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Berke Negri posted:

they should have just made skyshards account bound (like people have been asking for since launch) but that'd be a huge QoL boost so zos suits can't have that

idk I'm currently doing the grind to 810, and it's kinda lame I can't redo it on another character.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I just hit 50 earlier tonight. Decided to do the pvp daily and pvp at 50 is a totally different beast than it was in the 10-49 bracket. I was getting instantly obliterated constantly. Just dead with zero time to react. Are there any general tips that drastically help in high level pvp or is this the point where I just need to grind out CP points and gear? Or is this where I have to decide if my character is a pvp character or pve character and spec specifically for one?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Plus you're literally paying these absurd sums to give your alts LESS content, or at least less of a reason to engage in content. Maybe exploring and doing dungeons isn't everyone's favorite content... like if you're just 100% into endgame, maybe you would pay a king's ransom to skip it forever, but I kind of like actually having a reason to do that poo poo.

My crafting character needed a couple of skill points and the starter zones which I had collected already are 150 each.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Frustrated posted:

I just hit 50 earlier tonight. Decided to do the pvp daily and pvp at 50 is a totally different beast than it was in the 10-49 bracket. I was getting instantly obliterated constantly. Just dead with zero time to react. Are there any general tips that drastically help in high level pvp or is this the point where I just need to grind out CP points and gear? Or is this where I have to decide if my character is a pvp character or pve character and spec specifically for one?

Don't touch PvP until you're CP 160, then start off by messing around in the nonCP campaign or in Battlegrounds. Aside from that there's really nothing else I can tell you because the incompetent combat team constantly changes poo poo around every update which makes it hard to give advice. The only thing I can tell you is this:

-Run a defensive set (Fortified Brass/Impregnable/Ancient Dragonguard) or a sustain set (Shacklebreaker/Bone Pirate/Bright-Throat's Boast), and pair it with an offensive set (New Moon Acolyte/Hunding's Rage/Julianos/Spinner/Spriggan/Fury). You can look these up on eso-sets.com and see how you can get them.
-Run Impenetrable trait on all your gear, always. Critical damage can and will gently caress your day up if you don't have any resist against it.
-Learn to pick your fights. PvP here is about resource management and timing of your burst damage windows.

Anything else just ask

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

learnincurve posted:

My crafting character needed a couple of skill points and the starter zones which I had collected already are 150 each.

On the other hand it takes like 10 minutes to get the three shards that are there. In full disclosure I have also bought the starter ones before when I was inpatient and had crowns available.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why do people in guild stores sell things for higher than you can buy in unlimited quantities from the game itself. The basic styles are all 15g from the merchants right at the crafting stations, who's buying them for more than that from a guild store?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why do people in guild stores sell things for higher than you can buy in unlimited quantities from the game itself. The basic styles are all 15g from the merchants right at the crafting stations, who's buying them for more than that from a guild store?

Lazy people. Rich people. People who don't know it sells for so little at merchants.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JadaX posted:

Lazy people. Rich people. People who don't know it sells for so little at merchants.
I guess, I just don't see how the guild store is quicker than the merchant that's right there that the game tells you to buy from. The crazy prices for some runes and alchemy ingredients annoy me to, but those can't be bought elsewhere (or can they?) so I can understand that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I guess, I just don't see how the guild store is quicker than the merchant that's right there that the game tells you to buy from. The crazy prices for some runes and alchemy ingredients annoy me to, but those can't be bought elsewhere (or can they?) so I can understand that.

Those runes and alchemy ingredients are pretty necessary even at endgame, it's basically the main way to farm money later on (usually with a side of nirncrux)

That and improvement materials.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Wait... style books are 15g at vendors??

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

pretty sure they mean the style stones, which are all the ten racial style items going for 15g a pop that you can get from any crafter merchant

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah the basic style stones, obsidian, flint etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The guild store interface seems to select a guild at random, it's so annoying. Just posted a bunch of stuff before realizing it's the store of the small pvp guild, which has no public vendor afaik. Great. How about keeping the selection I chose last time? Pfft.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mike12345 posted:

The guild store interface seems to select a guild at random, it's so annoying. Just posted a bunch of stuff before realizing it's the store of the small pvp guild, which has no public vendor afaik. Great. How about keeping the selection I chose last time? Pfft.

This has annoyed me for years. Just keep the selection or let me pick a primary, how difficult is that?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

New to ESO. So the routine is I go on an adventure then spend 30 minutes junking half the things in my inventory? Is there a way to just store or make use of everything I have, outside of a bank?

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 19, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

New to ESO. So the routine is I go on an adventure then spend 30 minutes junking half the things in my inventory? Is there a way to just store or make use of everything I have, outside of a bank?

There is! It’s called the Crafting Bag, and it automatically stores any ingredients or crafting materials you loot in a separate, unlimited-size container.

Oh, and you need to be a subscriber to use it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I bailed on WoW after 8.3 and picked this up. Just started this week and I have a level 7 Nightblade and I'm enjoying it so far. Some observations/questions:

• Is it possible to visit all of Tamriel? Also if yes, how much of that can I do with just the base game & subscription?
  • Can you traverse the whole land by foot, or do you have to use wayshrines
  • I can only go to Cyrodiil at level 10, I hear. Confirm/deny.
  • The quest where Vivec's divinity is waning is quite interesting, much more involved than the 'bear-rear end' quests in WoW. Are they all like this?
  • Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is it possible to visit all of Tamriel? Also if yes, how much of that can I do with just the base game & subscription?
This much:

Can you traverse the whole land by foot, or do you have to use wayshrines
You can use caravans/ships to go from zone to zone and walk each zone by foot, I don't think you can pass from one zone to another by foot

I can only go to Cyrodiil at level 10, I hear. Confirm/deny.
Yes, you get an in game mail telling you this when you level up

Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City
Yes. Alternatively Tamriel grows physically over the years so everything has spread apart between ESO time and Morrowind/Skyrim time.

I haven't played enough to know how all the quests are.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

quote:

• Can you traverse the whole land by foot, or do you have to use wayshrines

Actually you absolutely can go from a connected zone to a connected zone; in fact it's sometimes easier than taking the ships. You can't use the wayshrines before finding them first. There's a reason why the storyline zones are adjacent to each other in the storyline order. I'm also pretty sure that the ships were not as available when the game was first released, and you were expected to go on foot.

quote:

• Is the landscape scaled down or something? It's been a long time since I played Morrowind but I don't think it took under a minute to walk from Seyda Neen to Vivec City

I think it's slightly scaled down but not massively so, maybe 30%? In particular Cyro still takes forever to traverse. But more importantly you move a fair bit faster than in Morrowind, and about half of Morrowind is also fenced off.

quote:

The quest where Vivec's divinity is waning is quite interesting, much more involved than the 'bear-rear end' quests in WoW. Are they all like this?

Generally speaking yes, there's a handful of bear-rear end quests but it's less than a third I'd say. Though the expansion quests in particular are even more involved. I'd definitely say that the lore, quests, exploration and getting to visit lots of Tamriel is one of the strong points of the game. Also the thieving experience is much closer to Morrowind than Oblivion/Skyrim, which is pretty great too. I've had more of a Morrowind experience with it than I ever had with Skyrim and probably even Oblivion.

The weak points would be the relative lack of progression (the only good progression is from cp160 to cp810, which to be fair will take you about half of the games content to do), the biannual annoying combat changes, the weird, mostly cosmetic/boosters role of crafting and the difficulty of enjoying the dungeon/trial story due to the group rushing ahead.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for the answers! One last thing, when do I get a mount? Travelling by foot is ok so far but I can see that it's going to get tedious after a while.