Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is the best documentation on what a piece of poo poo ESR is. very much worth the read lol

https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

RMS is awful, as is ESR

putting ESR and RMS in the same category of awful is insulting to RMS

I have met both of them and I endorse this post.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eschaton posted:

nbsd and rotor, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I may be the only person here who actually used some ESR software

back in 1997 I got a NeXTstation and then used it to read mail and news and browse the web at home via a PPP dial-in connection

in order to read mail with Mail.app—which the time only supported mailbox files in the filesystem—I had to actually use fetchmail to connect to my ISP’s POP3 server and put it in the mbox files

it sucked, I remember it being hard to configure to not actually do things like not delete mail but also not re-fetch the same mail over and over, and also I remember it just not working plenty of times

not only have i used fetchmail but i switched to an alternative (getmail) in disgust

also fetchmail doesn’t deliver to mbox it hands off to the local mail server via smtp or sendmail, because ‘unix tool philosophy’/esr laziness

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

nbsd and rotor, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I may be the only person here who actually used some ESR software

back in 1997 I got a NeXTstation and then used it to read mail and news and browse the web at home via a PPP dial-in connection

in order to read mail with Mail.app—which the time only supported mailbox files in the filesystem—I had to actually use fetchmail to connect to my ISP’s POP3 server and put it in the mbox files

it sucked, I remember it being hard to configure to not actually do things like not delete mail but also not re-fetch the same mail over and over, and also I remember it just not working plenty of times

fetchmail was originally written by someone else and esr just “maintained” it, and then later did a from scratch rewrite in python that never reached feature complete status

(I was also stuck with fetchmail years ago)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

nbsd has said nothing inconsistent

RMS is awful, as is ESR

putting ESR and RMS in the same category of awful is insulting to RMS

RMS has done a lot of good work (though not as much as he claims) and really doesn’t seem to comprehend boundaries in any way, barely recognizing their existence

ESR has done approximately zero of consequence (despite his lofty claims) and thinks he’s so awesome boundaries don’t apply to him, and besides he can logically disprove the need for them, plus “scientific” racism

RMS has severe, untreated developmental disorders that prevent him from understanding other people and social interactions.

ESR actively tries to be as lovely as possible.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
ESR is a social pariah but with the internet he could be anyone he wanted so he decided to be a piece of poo poo

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

can't believe two people signed their posts in a row

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
esr also has some kind of brain disease

i want to say cerebral palsy?

not that it directly causes aberrant social behaviors, just, it's part of the history that led us to the amazing lovely meatball he has become today

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

building tensorflow 1 from source is starting to become my goto solution to determining the stability of a system because it exercises the ram and cpu so much

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
ESR would have been pushed out of authority far before RMS was, if ESR had ever been in a meaningful position of authority in the first place. (Yes I know he was OSI president.)

Incidentally, ESR recently rejoined and soon got banned from OSIs license-discuss list, for CoC violations.

At least ESR is polite enough to provide some foreplay before he goes all-in:

quote:

After twenty years of staying off this list, I have joined it.

I didn't, until now, because whenever I checked in on this list the
regulars seemed to be doing the job I expected them to do quite
competently. And I had enough of an "I can't be everywhere, dammit!"
problem without adding to it.

But there are two recent developments I find concerning that have
convinced me I need to weigh in. Please pay careful attention, as I am
not making this choice likely.

I will start individual threads for both issues.
--
<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>

"Gun control" is a job-safety program for criminals.

Unsurprisingly, he was mostly against licenses trying to ban toxic behaviour:

quote:

I reject the "Persona Non Grata" clause, and all other attempts at
so-called "ethical" open-source licensing, in the strongest possible
terms. To get entangled in this sort of thing would not merely
be against OSI's charter as expressed in the OSD, it would invite
second- and third-order effects that would be gravely harmful.

I don't have any opinion about mixing CoC and license concerns together, but ESR sure is real concerned about protecting assholes:

quote:

I am not fooled. You are mounting an ideological attack on our core
principles of liberty and nondiscrimination. You will not succeed
while I retain any ability to oppose this.

It took four days of ESR activity before the chair of the license committee sent this:

quote:

Following an incident on Open Source Initiative mailing lists, the Board
has removed a subscriber from both the License-Review and
License-Discuss mailing lists for repeatedly violating the Code of Conduct.

And then ESR went whining to his blog and said that he was banned for being "too rhetorically forceful". His words are just too powerful, you know.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thank you for this

and thank you, esr, for providing some light humor in these trying times

I am almost, but not quite, curious to see what he means about "gun control". Maybe when I'm bored enough, I'll look it up. But it's unlikely.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the gently caress is a job safety program

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the contrast between old esr fuming that he might ever be not allowed to be a fuckwit somewhere versus young esr trying to blow up ncurses because the guy fixing his patches violated the secret etiquette of the true hacker, lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

esr posted:

You will not succeed while I retain any ability to oppose this.

so that went well

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dude just abruptly ceased all emotional development at the age of sixteen, it really is something to behold (from a safe distance)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

like what osha does

no i’ve never heard anybody call them that either

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A "job safety program" is when an awful old open sores rapist inexplicably has a very comfortable sinecure where they don't seem to do much of anything except patch something like troff or sendmail three times a year

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh is it like a job safety TRAINING program? training people about gun safety sounds like a good idea, that should be part of gun control reform yes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

rjmccall posted:

like what osha does

no i’ve never heard anybody call them that either

in context i believe it is a sneering term for a jobs guarantee

that is to say, he believes gun control is substantially equivalent to a union fighting for a guarantee of future employment to all prior employees during poor economic conditions

(this is extra funny since we know full well that esr doesn't believe in unions or job surety, either -- it is hypocrisy boiled down to a single sentence. the reader is expected to think a job guarantee sounds like a good thing, and that it should not apply to criminals, while esr does not think job guarantees are good, but it would be even worse if criminals had them)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

A "job safety program" is when an awful old open sores rapist inexplicably has a very comfortable sinecure where they don't seem to do much of anything except patch something like troff or sendmail three times a year

very comfortable meaning earning $0 a year of course and living off their spouse

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Vomik posted:

very comfortable meaning earning $0 a year of course and living off their spouse

iirc, esr is now wealthy due to owning stock in some startup that went public

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the osha interpretation is more straightforward. gun control would improve job safety for criminals because decent free-thinking folks like esr wouldn't be able to defend themselves from the criminal classes

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

The_Franz posted:

I hope he (didn’t) learn his lesson from last time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The_Franz posted:

didn’t that stock drop to almost nothing before he would be able to sell it?

he wrote a long winded blog post about how being a millionaire well before he was able to cash out iirc

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The_Franz posted:

Are you thinking of valinux ?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
shot:

esr posted:

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:21:23 -0500
To: wire-service@snark.thyrsus.com
Subject: Surprised By Wealth

--

The first part of my answer is "I'll do nothing, until next June".
Because I'm a VA board member, under SEC regulations there's a six-month
lockout on the shares (a regulation designed to keep people from
floating bogus offerings, cashing out, and skipping to Argentina
before the share price crashes). So it's not strictly true that I'm
wealthy right now. I will be wealthy in six months, unless VA or the
U.S. economy craters before then. I'll bet on VA; I'm not so sure
about the U.S. economy :-).

chaser:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
(fwiw i don't know if/when he cashed out and for how much. he very well may have cashed out a million bucks since he had 150000 shares)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

the osha interpretation is more straightforward. gun control would improve job safety for criminals because decent free-thinking folks like esr wouldn't be able to defend themselves from the criminal classes

so he mixed up "job safety" with "job security", lol. this makes far more sense, thank you.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

shot:

chaser:

the loss is even bigger than this chart looks

1. at its peak VA Linux was worth $10B.

2. when it exited public markets by selling its last retail stuff to GameStop, it sold for $140 million.

3. adjusted for inflation that works out to 99% loss of vaule

also 99% understates it, because it's very unlikely esr held his stock all the way through the trough -- it was worth less than $2 per share at one point. 2015 values, when they left public markets, were well above the bottom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

ah yes

i significantly underestimated how often esr, like other gun nuts, fantasizes about murdering other people

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
precisely. only a totalitarian state could make esr no longer an occupational hazard for evil-doers everywhere

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3149/eric-s-raymond-bazaar-financial-advisor

According to this, by the time he could sell his shares dropped in value from 35 million to 5 million, but no stock sales were reported by him... when he sold he was able to get $195,000.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

and thats the most he could have gotten... no one knows when he sold though because thats when he left the board so no longer had to report any trades.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

given that that slug was begging for donations to buy a midrange gaming machine so his bad cvs to git translator could run in 32GB and also complaining about Obama forcing his wife’s employer cutting her paralegal hours to 29 to avoid aca I would not expect a mattress full of va linux krugerrands.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol good, gently caress him

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
esr is like the failed initial experiment of a tech bro

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I don't know why I assumed he was loaded. I suppose you can post racism to a mailing list from a $30 fire tablet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

given that that slug was begging for donations to buy a midrange gaming machine so his bad cvs to git translator could run in 32GB and also complaining about Obama forcing his wife’s employer cutting her paralegal hours to 29 to avoid aca I would not expect a mattress full of va linux krugerrands.

esr's wife is an actual licensed attorney, a member of the bar, so if she was doing paralegal work that's not a good sign for her career

(which must be how they ended up with no money, begging on the internet)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

nope, he never cashed out his VA Linux shares and then they cratered

he went on Patreon once his wife was laid off from her law firm

before that she was supporting him, now I don’t know If she has any clients or if his Patreon is their only income

none of that has ever stopped him from pretending he’s a finance whiz just like he thinks he’s a natural genius in all other fields of endeavor, but he’s always been like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

esr's wife is an actual licensed attorney, a member of the bar, so if she was doing paralegal work that's not a good sign for her career

(which must be how they ended up with no money, begging on the internet)

she wasn’t, she was a staff attorney at a law firm specializing in insurance law and is now doing private practice