Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Jan posted:

Why? Are you saying that something like the chemex, a design that's been around for almost 80 years, is "risky" rather than based on a tried and true design?

Anecdotally I dropped my lil chemex from the counter to the floor and it got smashed, I guess most glass things would break after a fall like that but I was still pretty bummed about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

silvergoose posted:

It's the fragile glass thing, I'm inclined to assume if something is thinnish glass, I'm going to break it somehow.

Is there a chemex carafe only I can buy, which works with other pourovers?

I don't think so, it's pretty much an all-in-one thing. Someone who tried it might be able to confirm, but I think regular coffee filters would probably be too flimsy to hold their shape in the neck of a chemex. Though I'm sure you could put another pourover funnel on top of the Chemex. :quagmire:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you believe the coffee lore the special filter paper is what makes it different from other pour over methods.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's true. The official chemex filters are mega thick so you get a lighter flavor which I personally don't like.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
What is the smallest espresso machine worth owning? Our kitchen counter space is seriously limited and I don't think we should really be sacrificing any of it but maybe if a machine were tiny enough (and pretty enough) my wife might acquiesce...

mystes
May 31, 2006

other people posted:

What is the smallest espresso machine worth owning? Our kitchen counter space is seriously limited and I don't think we should really be sacrificing any of it but maybe if a machine were tiny enough (and pretty enough) my wife might acquiesce...
Is something like a Gaggia Classic too big for you? (It's also pretty ugly; there were some Gaggia Baby models that were prettier but I think they stopped making them.)

If you just want a cheaper machine and it doesn't have to be something that this thread would officially consider worth owning there may be smaller almost-acceptable models from brands like Delonghi although you might want to get an extended warranty.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

mystes posted:

Is something like a Gaggia Classic too big for you? (It's also pretty ugly; there were some Gaggia Baby models that were prettier but I think they stopped making them.)

If you just want a cheaper machine and it doesn't have to be something that this thread would officially consider worth owning there may be smaller almost-acceptable models from brands like Delonghi although you might want to get an extended warranty.

Funnily enough I used to own a Gaggia Classic; I agree it isn't pretty. It was terribly noisy but it is possible something wasn't quite right with it. And it isn't really any smaller than something like a Silvia.

I guess I was thinking of something nicer than the Classic and possibly prettier and/or smaller. Like a Breville Bambino? Or something like this: https://www.ascaso.com/div-espresso-coffee-machines-grinders/dream-1.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like you would need to really have your kitchen decorated exactly the right way (farmhouse style or 50's style depending on the color scheme) for that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

I feel like you would need to really have your kitchen decorated exactly the right way (farmhouse style or 50's style depending on the color scheme) for that

I dunno, I think it would fit in well in a lot of ways. The shape, or colour, or shiny metal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

other people posted:

A lever machine would likely be pretty small.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

other people posted:

DeLonghi Dedica, which is about 5" wide, designed for exactly that. I recommend getting a refurb or open box 680 model off eBay (they're cheap!) and cutting out the bottom of the portafilter. They're versatile, neat and programmable. Get a pretty red one for wife! Check out Gail's youtube review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUvnKGqWS0.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

DeLonghi Dedica, which is about 5" wide, designed for exactly that. I recommend getting a refurb or open box 680 model off eBay (they're cheap!) and cutting out the bottom of the portafilter. They're versatile, neat and programmable. Get a pretty red one for wife! Check out Gail's youtube review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUvnKGqWS0.

I was going to recommend this but given how this thread likes to react I figured the pressurized portafilter made it a no-go. ALTHOUGH! It looks like third parties are making compatible filters for it with a little modification. I haven't used one but I have to say I like the design quite a lot.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The wirecutter picks the Breville Bambino as the best “beginner” machine. It’s really small, and pretty good looking too. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-espresso-machine-grinder-and-accessories-for-beginners/

It uses a pressurised portafilter, but it’s easily the best tasting one I’ve ever sampled. I’d definitely recommend it. It does nice milk steaming too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the Bambino but it's twice the cost of that Delonghi. Also I'm in the minority but I want a cheap-ish espresso machine without milk function because I don't drink milk. A barebones Bambino without a steam wand for $200 would be perfect. I actually gave away my old Gaggia Classic. it's a huge hunk of metal that took up valuable kitchen space and really finnicky to use.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
That wirecutter article briefly poo poos the delonghi as being inconsistent. I think the extra space of the bambino may be worth it and apparently they sell non-pressurized baskets for it. Also the bambino apparently does decent frothing which MY WIFE is very interested in.

Now I just need to find the slimmest grinder. I have a porlex manual grinder which I like but MY WIFE refuses to use it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't blame her. Grinding with the Porlex is a horrible experience. At least with the travel model that I have. It's pretty though and looks like something from Apple.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

other people posted:

Now I just need to find the slimmest grinder. I have a porlex manual grinder which I like but MY WIFE refuses to use it.

A buddy of mine just picked up a Niche Zero grinder, he loves it. It is pretty small, which might be what you're looking for.

They're pretty!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

other people posted:

That wirecutter article briefly poo poos the delonghi as being inconsistent. I think the extra space of the bambino may be worth it and apparently they sell non-pressurized baskets for it. Also the bambino apparently does decent frothing which MY WIFE is very interested in.

assuming they use the same portafilter setups as their other machines (no guarantee but it wouldn't surprise me), breville makes both kinds. their bigger machines come with both types of baskets in the box.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
All right, back with some questions.

I bought some espresso gear from SCG--Rancilio Silvia, Baratza Encore, frothing pitchers, tamper, etc. Fresh whole bean coffee from a local roaster that was roasted on the 8th and received on the 10th.

All of my shots have been super duper watery with little to no crema, and pulling fast; like, 15 seconds and my 8oz cup is about half full. My initial assumption was that my grind was too coarse, and I've gone back and forth on varying levels of fineness, but with similar results.

I've looked up enough topics on the subject and most suggestions come down to grinder quality, bean freshness, or lack of sufficient pressure in the group head. I can rule two of those out (I think). The idea that there's not enough pressure strikes me as a possibility, but this is a brand new machine. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's pulling too fast it means you need to grind finer and/or you need to tamp down harder. Also keep in mind that when you get an espresso at a fancy coffee shop they'll typically use 19-23grams of coffee beans to produce a "double espresso" of about 30grams or ~1 oz of coffee in a tiny cup.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I had dialed the grinder down to the finest setting allowed and have used all of my arm strength to tamp. I'm either getting fast and watery, or (when I had dialed the grinder to finer settings) dripping intermittently--neither had any good crema.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do the grounds look good to you? Sometimes the Baratza needs a recalibration. The Encore isn't the best espresso grinder but I've used it before with decent results. I'm leaning torward the Silvia as the culprit.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
My Silvia will give me watery pulls when I don’t have my grind dialed in correctly. That’s both size and mass. It’ll stall if I go too finely and too heavy. I can’t help with the grinder settings, but the larger basket is usually good with 18.5-19g of grounds, depending on the bean and age of it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
The finest setting looked borderline powdery to me, and (if I remember correctly) that shot just dripped out. Right now, I have it set to three clicks from 0 (slightly to the left of the second notch). I went ahead and got the bottomless filter since I don't really like using the split ones, so maybe that will allow me to problem solve more easily.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Changing the subject slightly: I know that bottomless portafilters are diagnostically useful, but do they offer any other benefit? If you're not having any issues, is there any reason to use them over a normal spouted portafilter?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
The smug satisfaction of knowing you made a killer shot when you watch it pour and coalesce into one gooey stream in the center, I guess.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Gunder posted:

Changing the subject slightly: I know that bottomless portafilters are diagnostically useful, but do they offer any other benefit? If you're not having any issues, is there any reason to use them over a normal spouted portafilter?

Spray hot espresso all over your machine and self and other places that are not your cup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gunder posted:

Instagram

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Abner Assington posted:

The finest setting looked borderline powdery to me, and (if I remember correctly) that shot just dripped out. Right now, I have it set to three clicks from 0 (slightly to the left of the second notch). I went ahead and got the bottomless filter since I don't really like using the split ones, so maybe that will allow me to problem solve more easily.

If flow is too low at the finest, and too fast where you are now, what does it do in between? Does it abruptly change from nothing to too fast or is there something in between? I can't think of anything the pump could be doing that would cause that.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
I must have been swinging a little too wildly in my adjustments on the grinder. Just ripped a really nice shot using the bottomless filter I just got.

hosed up the milk a bit, though.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

qutius posted:

A buddy of mine just picked up a Niche Zero grinder, he loves it. It is pretty small, which might be what you're looking for.

They're pretty!

I dunno if pretty is the right word but they are definitely small and seem to be quiet, too. I'm a little reluctant about it because of the short warranty (1 year) and it isn't really an established company. It's also not shipping until June and at 574€ is even more expensive than a Sette 270Wi.

Regarding the bambino, it has a 54mm pressurized basket (aka double wall). The Barista Express from the same brand has the same size basket and comes with both single and double wall baskets. So probably I can buy a spare single wall basket for the barista express and use it in a bambino or is there more to it than that? The bambino double wall basket and barista express double wall basket don't exactly look the same to me...

https://www.cremashop.eu/en/store/spare-parts/coffee-equipment?brand=sage&page=1

(Sage == Breville in the EU).

Also if anyone knows a good place to buy these machines in the EU other than this cremashop site I found please do say.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I will say that if you’re considering the Niche, then you can get a similarly good espresso grinder (Eureka Mignon Specialita) for a good deal less money. They’re also small, really quiet and look pretty nice. Lots of colours to choose from.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 19, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gunder posted:

I will say that if you’re considering the Niche, then you can get a similarly good espresso grinder (Eureka Mignon Specialita) for a good deal less money. They’re also small, really quiet and look pretty nice. Lots of colours to choose from.

Looks like another regional variance; essentially same price in Canada.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Looks like another regional variance; essentially same price in Canada.

Interesting. In the UK, I bought my Specialita for £350, same price as the Baratza Sette 270. The Niche is £500.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
All of the cool kids order their Specialitas from here:
https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/Eureka-Mignon-Specialita?search=specialita&description=true

Ignore the USA Customers option, just choose 110V for 25 EUR more. I had emailed them for a coupon code, but they just gave me the 8988 code for 7 EUR off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta posted:

Has anyone used Craft Coffee for the subscription service before? I just put in an order after reading about them on Wirecutter as being the best deal. If you order 4 or more bags shipping is free and you pay wholesale prices. I grabbed 4x12oz bags for under $30 shipped. Saw some decent reviews on Reddit but it doesn't seem to be mind blowing, just pretty good. Things seem backed up though because my first order won't ship for a week.

Maybe we can start a referral chain? It gives you 15% off your first order and I get some discount on a future order.

nwin posted:

edit: so it turns out you just do it during checkout with the "enter gift code". I tried that on Mobile, but either it wasn't working or I entered the wrong code.

Regardless, enjoy the free coffee! $26 after your discount isn't bad at all for 4 12-oz bags of coffee!

Here's my code if anyone wants to try: dea-vzj

Trip report: My beans arrived today. It says they were roasted on April 14th so considering shipping is free and the low cost I think it's not bad at all. I paid a slightly more premium for the $10 blend and it's very good. In the questionnaire I said I like Blue Bottle's Three Africans the most and it does taste very similar. Would recommend, and someone use nwin's code for a discount.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Really been getting into bougie premium coffees lately. I got in a bunch of new kinds to test roast, and today I made a drip from some Kenya Murang'a AB Kahuhia beans. Washed. High acid but not unpleasant, lots of plum-y, red fruit skin, dark chocolate flavours.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Some espresso dumbass questions - I got a Pavoni EPC-8 for my birthday/our kid isn't nursing anymore so my wife can drink coffee again gift. So far we love the thing but I'm getting my head around how to use it.

1. For a double shot, should I pull the lever twice with the same grounds? Or is that a bad idea the way over-steeping coffee is?
2. I saw people earlier in the thread talking about how the first extraction is no good because the water isn't hot enough, and that's been my experience too. Is there anything you can do to prevent that?
3. We got the basic model with no pressure gauge, but the place we ordered it from included a meat thermometer as a freebie so I assume there's something I"m supposed to do with that but I have no idea what.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
I have a (hopefully quick) espresso machine troubleshooting question. I have a Silvia M, which makes good espresso - no off tastes. If I run water out of either the group head or out of the steam wand, it has a salty taste similar to dissolving just enough salt into tap water to notice it. Steamed milk also has the same flavour.

It was originally run on softened water put through a brita filter for a year or so, but it’s been run on spring water for the last year. Descaled every couple of months, cleaned weekly with coffee machine detergent, and milk cleaner run at the end of the day when I make milk drinks. (And the wand purged after each drink). The flavour is still noticeable and unpleasant if I make a milk drink.

Do I need to tear down the boiler and inspect, or is there something obvious that I’m messing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Ugh, my weekly packets of hasbean.co.uk coffee are held up in the post, so I’ve run out of beans.

I may have to go queue like an animal for supermarket beans.