Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

We’ve been calling it’s demise for years, but it shambles on, undead. The thread has become a kind of Hotel California, or Flying Dutchman of the many, many reasons why publishers exist.

Fake Edit: Fig got acquired.

Meanwhile funding tracker continues to show thousands of dollars per hour being pledged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

One could also ponder that intelligence does not lead to wisdom,

D&D had this figured out years ago.

Also why whenever someone rolled a wizard and used WIS as a dump stat i made sure there were plenty of WIS rolls and that the clever but not too wise wizard learned the lesson to not use WIS as a dump stat.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

D&D had this figured out years ago.

Also why whenever someone rolled a wizard and used WIS as a dump stat i made sure there were plenty of WIS rolls and that the clever but not too wise wizard learned the lesson to not use WIS as a dump stat.

This is a good post.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Agony Aunt posted:

Meanwhile funding tracker continues to show thousands of dollars per hour being pledged.

I can believe the bit about increased backer spending. From what I understand, gaming revenue overall is up thanks to covid-19. That make's sense to me, gaming being one of the hobbies we can do while at home. Why would SC be exempt? "Oh, guess I can't go out to the bar drinking with my buddies anymore, and I just got my stimulus check, might as well buy this new ship that I've been wanting and explored that new ice world they added." What is more suspicious to me is the consistent of the tracker. Just steadily going up, up, up, year after year, with no major hiccups or declines. That doesn't seem real to me, or natural. Maybe Ponzi-scheme-ish. However, the tracker seems to me to be a solvable problem. I'm surprised on of you more math savvy goons or goon's friends haven't analyzed the numbers and run them through the programs and simulations and discovered the secret algorithms and formulas to show it's all hooey. After all, we have almost a decade of funding tracker data to work with.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 19, 2020

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:cabot:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Woah, if HL:A is so immersive that it actually induces trigger jerk then that's incredible! Does it also actually mimic sight alignment on the weapons? For those of you unawares, trigger jerk when discharging a firearm is when you "jerk" the trigger back sharply instead of a nice, smooth, slow, even pull. This causes the barrel to "flinch" downwards and for bullets to veer wildly in that direction. The "flinch" response is an automatic response your brain has to the loud, sharp, and sudden "bang" of a firearm. Your brain doesn't like that at all. Inexperience shooters tend to just jerk the crap out of the trigger to get it over with rather than going through with the unpleasant suspense of a good trigger pull where when the weapon actually discharges should be a "surprise" (if your finger is on the trigger of a firearm then your intent should be to destroy whatever is opposite the barrel - the "surprise" should be in the timing of the weapon discharging, not in the discharging of the weapon when you didn't mean for it discharge). Defeating the flinch response requires training, acclimation, and intense focus, and even then even professional shooters can still succumb from time to time. If the game is so immersive it engages this reptile part of our brain then that's amazing . I didn't even realize that was possible - the "bang" of a firearm is more than a loud noise. There's recoil and pressure/blast to it. Odor, too.

It's the true power of a good VR game, the immersion is so total that simple game mechanics done well are enough for a compelling experience. VR games are intense for me, perhaps if you're younger it's not so bad, but the start of Fallout 4 VR where you are in your house and have to run to the shelter was almost too intense for me and getting caught by a Reaper Leviathan in my Seamoth in Subnautica VR was a genuine uncontrollable scream moment.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

I want to talk about HL: Alyx and I'm going to do it in here instead of the HL: Alyx thread so I'll do a bit of compare and contrast to make it relevant:

It took them 4 years, 80 devs, used a new engine, and was delivered on a cutting edge platform. It doesn’t count.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Playing 3.8

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
So what is going on with the bartender? I thought the established story was that it wasn't really a bartender, it was years of work creating an AI so radiant that it would outshine the Sun. Once they had completed this bartender AI it would be introduced to all NPCs and they would spread forth into the 'verse filling all the jobs and becoming sentient entities like an episode of Star Trek where the holodeck has gone rogue (again).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Reposting, but this should so be the thread title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDrxkzUhNFI

Star Citizen: Alpha is NOT for the weak

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

So what is going on with the bartender? I thought the established story was that it wasn't really a bartender, it was years of work creating an AI so radiant that it would outshine the Sun. Once they had completed this bartender AI it would be introduced to all NPCs and they would spread forth into the 'verse filling all the jobs and becoming sentient entities like an episode of Star Trek where the holodeck has gone rogue (again).

They can’t make the Hairy Roberts until there is fauna to shave

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
It's Alpha 0.39 really though.

Imagine that after 8 years...

of

Beta 1.0

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

One thing they always fail to address is that its not 8 years to develop the game. Its 8 years to develop what exists right now, which is till many years away from release.

We can look at it and see that its not 8 years in devleopment in total, its going to be well over 10... for a minimum viable product, not the magnum opus that exists in their heads.

Yeah they love to find other examples of long dev times and count every second back to when a game was first discussed in a meeting somewhere. But no one can explain why after 8 years and 300 million dollars, Star Citizen doesn’t even have the basic foundation of an MMO built. The question of “how can we adapt CryEngine to support an MMO with space battles between hundreds of players?” should have been definitively answered back in 2012 or they should have switched engines. There’s no solid technical base to the game, just whatever assets they can manage to shove into their broken CryEngine mod and have it still chug along for a few hours without crashing. It plays like someone tried to mod space combat into Skyrim.

People claiming to be CTOs and senior software developers can write as many galaxy brained theses about “delays are ok and you’re all ignorant sheep” on Reddit as they want. But the 8 years isn’t really the issue. It’s that 8 years have been wasted on what is in the game right now today, which is around 1% of what Chris has cumulatively promised. I’m sure whatever companies these geniuses work for are fine with a project missing it’s projected release by 6 years, having a scope that can be summed up as “everything”, having no release date in sight, and most of it’s key systems not even being designed yet. I’m sure all they would have to do is shrug their shoulders and say to their bosses “it’s agile!” and the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme would play as the scene fades to black and the end credits roll.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 19, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sarsapariller posted:

What's really getting to me is how a well designed game can do so much with just a few assets. HL:A has, basically, three guns and three consumables. It only has maybe a dozen enemy varieties. Up through Ch. 5, the entire setting has been some variety of "Alien infested, overgrown Eastern European block housing city." It is less FPS and more survival horror, in a creeping, rising-tension sort of way. You'd think that creeping through crumbling tenements and fighting zombies would get boring after a couple of hours, but HL:A knows exactly when that boredom would begin to set in, and constantly stays one step ahead.

Looking at Star Citizen alone you'd think a game needs 500 weapons and 100 types of spaceship or NPC to be interesting. But it's just not the case. HL: A has wonderfully polished movement, levels that are a masterclass in how to direct player attention to the next objective, and well designed encounters that are almost always teaching the player some interesting new trick or adding a twist on existing enemy types. The amount of care and craft they've poured into the three guns you can use makes each one stand out far more than any generic Star Citizen pulse rifle. And just when you're bored of the pistol, you get the shotgun. Just when you're bored of them in combination, you start getting grenades. Every weapon builds on the last and instead of becoming the new thing you use all the time, becomes another tool for your arsenal.

Great post. This part sums up one aspect of why F2P and MMO style endless treadmill games (which SC would be if it were a game, even though it's not free it's basically an F2P AND an MMO,) can never be as good. Because they always need something new to keep revenue flowing, they can never have this purity of design. Taking things out is a bigger part of game design than putting things in, and games that rely on piecemeal pricing and content can't do that. Even if the game they imagine existed, it wouldn't actually be satisfying, because the design model depends on perpetual player dissatisfaction.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 19, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit::v: When someone said they were depressed they can't defend Star Citizen anymore

https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyKnottyCatVoteYea

:lol:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shrach posted:

Same as with everything else. A massive disconnect between what CIG say will be delivered and what they can actually deliver.

What they promise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKS70FDZV8&t=23s

What they will deliver:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

I have not played this Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World), but they've just announced a free for all month until mid May. Supports VR and multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732Y62VZIGc

It's full of DLCs (aircrafts, maps, campaigns) but it seems to be in active development according to the changelog on their site.

The site for this is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/
And there's a Steam version here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World_Steam_Edition/

It might be interesting.

No space legs.

Or space.

The cool thing about DCS is that you can play it from full MilSim tactilol tryhard skywarrior all the way to drunk stunt flying. The flight models have meaningful differences between them, so you can nitpick your plane performance and button pushing to a level that shitizens have been dreaming about for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT95cLlPTWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPbxFQ9b7hA

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Bubbacub posted:

The cool thing about DCS is that you can play it from full MilSim tactilol tryhard skywarrior all the way to drunk stunt flying. The flight models have meaningful differences between them, so you can nitpick your plane performance and button pushing to a level that shitizens have been dreaming about for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT95cLlPTWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPbxFQ9b7hA

Don't link fash.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Woah, if HL:A is so immersive that it actually induces trigger jerk then that's incredible! Does it also actually mimic sight alignment on the weapons? For those of you unawares, trigger jerk when discharging a firearm is when you "jerk" the trigger back sharply instead of a nice, smooth, slow, even pull. This causes the barrel to "flinch" downwards and for bullets to veer wildly in that direction. The "flinch" response is an automatic response your brain has to the loud, sharp, and sudden "bang" of a firearm. Your brain doesn't like that at all. Inexperience shooters tend to just jerk the crap out of the trigger to get it over with rather than going through with the unpleasant suspense of a good trigger pull where when the weapon actually discharges should be a "surprise" (if your finger is on the trigger of a firearm then your intent should be to destroy whatever is opposite the barrel - the "surprise" should be in the timing of the weapon discharging, not in the discharging of the weapon when you didn't mean for it discharge). Defeating the flinch response requires training, acclimation, and intense focus, and even then even professional shooters can still succumb from time to time. If the game is so immersive it engages this reptile part of our brain then that's amazing . I didn't even realize that was possible - the "bang" of a firearm is more than a loud noise. There's recoil and pressure/blast to it. Odor, too.

I didn't know any of this, but I read it carefully, and yes apparently that's what was happening. There's a particular enemy in the game that can only be defeated with a precise hit to a very small area, and you only have a second or so where it's vulnerable. (Oh and if you miss, it jumps at your face. And it looks like a giant spider. The psychological cost to missing is immense.) The first time I came across it, the first several times really, I was shaking so badly, and snapping the gun up with every pull of the trigger, I would waste multiple clips on it. Eventually I had to overcome the instinct which just takes mental brute force. But by the end of the game those were my favorite enemies to dispatch, because they took the least ammo. When one would show up my heart rate would actually go down, I'd take careful aim, and when the time was right, gently squeeze off the trigger while holding very steady. Night and day difference, and that wasn't the game changing - it was me. I had to learn to fully zen "when" the bullet came out during the trigger pull because ultimately, it doesn't matter. What was important was keeping the aim true during the entire pull.

If by sight alignment you mean whether you're right or left eyed looking down the scope, yes that's in the game too. I'm actually neither right nor left dominant - I can aim either way. I keep my eyes focused on the target and use whichever eye feels comfortable at that moment based on where exactly I'm holding the gun and what I'm aiming at. The scope will be blurry because my depth of field is downrange, but it's clear enough to see where the sight is pointing. Of course once you get the laser sight that gets far easier because you don't need to sight down the gun as often, which is great for killing things around corners that you don't want to expose your whole body to aim at.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 19, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelate posted:

Playing 3.8

Meanwhile, on 3,9

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

Yeah they love to find other examples of long dev times and count every second back to when a game was first discussed in a meeting somewhere. But no one can explain why after 8 years and 300 million dollars, Star Citizen doesn’t even have the basic foundation of an MMO built. The question of “how can we adapt CryEngine to support an MMO with space battles between hundreds of players?” should have been definitively answered back in 2012 or they should have switched engines. There’s no solid technical base to the game, just whatever assets they can manage to shove into their broken CryEngine mod and have it still chug along for a few hours without crashing. It plays like someone tried to mod space combat into Skyrim.

People claiming to be CTOs and senior software developers can write as many galaxy brained theses about “delays are ok and you’re all ignorant sheep” on Reddit as they want. But the 8 years isn’t really the issue. It’s that 8 years have been wasted on what is in the game right now today, which is around 1% of what Chris has cumulatively promised. I’m sure whatever companies these geniuses work for are fine with a project missing it’s projected release by 6 years, having a scope that can be summed up as “everything”, having no release date in sight, and most of it’s key systems not even being designed yet. I’m sure all they would have to do is shrug their shoulders and say to their bosses “it’s agile!” and the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme would play as the scene fades to black and the end credits roll.

There's more space combat in one crater of Skyrim than there is in all of Star Citizen :smuggo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shrach posted:

The official excuse is that all the AI functions require SSOCS to work.

So they have to finish SSOCS first.

But, at the same time, they are doing everything in parallel and that's why they cannot show it to you on the roadmaps.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they already release some version of SSOCS and it seemingly did nothing?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

trucutru posted:

The official excuse is that all the AI functions require SSOCS to work.

So they have to finish SSOCS first.

But, at the same time, they are doing everything in parallel and that's why they cannot show it to you on the roadmaps.

You god dang buffoon. Server meshing needs to start before SSOCS. Get your FUD straight.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Don't they need to sell more jpegs first? Jeez this game development is confusing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

Didn't they already release some version of SSOCS and it seemingly did nothing?

Yeah it launched with big fan fare for a few days, then everyone realized that somehow the performance is even worse now. So now we’re waiting for SSOCS v2, server meshing, I-cache, and some other meaningless world salads of never been done before god tech. Because no one has ever made an MMO and solved all of these issues before. Then, development can really kick into overdrive in 2021/2022. Pledge now!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

It’s amazing how every white knight has some job that puts them in an unassailable position of expertise.

This has been something I've enjoyed giggling about as well. So many people in positions of authority in software development, somehow claiming this is normal.

I'd love to know where they work where a development cycle like this didn't end in the project aborting, being massively changed, or firings of everybody related to authority so they can be replaced by people who get stuff done.

You maybe could argue "b-b-but waterfall development!" But I can't think of any project where they wanted a product a loving decade later. And Star Citizen is not practicing this, because they sure as he'll do not have a very clear project cycle they are working towards.

None of it makes sense. If you genuinely are somebody in software and you claim this is normal, you should probably get a new job because you are on a fast track to pissing off the company you are at, your peers, and definitely any clients you may have.

If you are not, and us lying to make yourself sound cool on the internet... you sound stupid. Go play professional CTO somewhere else.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

forgot to eat a candybar?
didnt want to sift through the 50 slowass menus to change your clothes?
too bad.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

He’s not entirely wrong, but he is skating over a lot of the more glaring problems. He also manages to call out ‘networking’ three times in the list of things. He also applies the corporate model to the lifecycle, but misses a couple of salient points.

When you pitch a prototype, you already have a level of funding, and you got that by having a good specification, so you’ve identified the problem, propose a solution and an estimate of the value. This works for regular effort and capitalized labor, the latter being a way for the company to budget better by managing lifecycle outside of normal operational costs.

CiG had a fairly good pitch and specification, but they completely hosed the scope when they thought they’d more money than they’d ever need and got spendy before they had a working flight model. Seriously, if I totally changed course on a project in the first year, a discreet word would be had and I’d be pushed someplace else. None of that ‘you’re fired!!!1!’ bullshit, but you don’t get to tell people what to do anymore.

The kickstarter was the pitch, the initial backers were the initial approving committee.

The other big glaring thing is that anything you pitch will have a completion date. Sure, you might sail past it, but after three or four, it’s time for the serious conversations about how ‘we’ get back on track and how much more is needed.

He’s right about the scaling, but again, what are those six hundred people doing? During the last ‘introduce the ship team’, they had around 25% of the staff working ships. How many are simply marketing now?

CiG’s only indication of lifecycle is the constant development/sales and a tentative beta date for SQ42 that is next quarter, which _everyone_ knows they’re going to miss.

They’ve not overdelivered once. They underdeliver, and do it late every time, unerringly. And they’ve had 7 years experience. Another three years and they’ll be *experts* at underdelivering late.

This is a perfect summary. :)

Goes into technical details of staffing and planning behind the coding and development. There's considerable accountability, and different milestone avenues to meet as well.

Is CIG was guilty of anything, it would be missing the piece where a publisher is filling those shoes.
1: Identify the MVP
2: Ensure resources are aligned to constantly be moving toward that MVP, this is the capital project resourcing
3: Identify clear milestones to show progress to stakeholders
4: Organized delivery, this isn't just coding, but it's documentation, marketing components, training internal support staff, receiving bug reports and scoping them and prioritizing them into some release, managing the releases, etc

Going into any of these is a lot of work. Getting to the point where you start writing code is in itself a tremendous undertaking as well; and it also seems to be another area CIG skimped on.

The way the project goes, it seems like CR is either unaware of all of the myriad of pieces that have to happen behind the coding for a successful project to happen, or is aware of it but doesn't enjoy it so he's been trying to basically skip, or pretend he can run a massive project without this level of administration.

It might work with a tiny project, but anything like a video game where multiple devs are working on it and inevitably you're going to screw this up without these layers of administrative responsibility.

My bet would be he saw this later controlled by a publisher, saw it as "the enemy" instead of filling a critical role that his company otherwise would have needed to staff themselves, and basically cut that entire segment of a successful company out. He didn't staff it himself, and just left it out.

Star citizen is the result of these missing layers. Nearly a decade of development, a roadmap nobody believes in, releases constantly under delivering and being delivered far too late and way the gently caress outside of any normal development budget.

Can you save it? Probably not without a complete restart of the project and getting the right people to fill all necessary roles and ensure accountability from all levels of development.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This commando has been playing the new Flight Simulator by mistake

quote:

The moment my bro was sold on the game - "Are we watching Planet Earth?"

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Has anyone ever checked to see if the game started development on February 29th, which would be a leap day. If so, the game has only been in development for 2 years (leap years). That’s why its still in alpha. Clearly, none of you understand game development

:thunk:

Mne nravitsya fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 19, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

Some of the comments defending CIG are really amazing. They are using Agile as an excuse for nothing getting delivered in line with the roadmap, as though by using agile you naturally fail all your targets.

No you fuckwits, this is not how agile works. Agile does not excuse you from cutting features every release. You absoloutely can publish a roadmap using Agile and hit most of your targets if your estimates are half decent.

If your estimates are a bit poor, ok, you'll miss some items but perhaps finish others early.

The only way you will consistently fail to hit targets is if you are consistently underestimating everything.

This should not be happening any more, since CIG, especially Erin, said they were going to stop being so aggressive with estimating tasks. It appears that is a load of rubbish.

This could all be tied into identifying an MVP, from a preexisting document that should have been being followed for 8 years plus.

The benefit of agile is realizing your loving up faster and fixing it sooner, because you are doing check ins with the customers at the end of each spent over what was built and how it works (notice that whole accountability thing again).

There is also a lot of work to be done in figuring out which stories/tasks are too large, and how to carve them up into something a dev team can actually produce in a sprint. It's not designed to say "oh shoot this is too large we couldn't make any of it". It's identifying something is too large and then splitting it into smaller slices and deliverables that can result in forward progress.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

A succulent barbecue of meltdown drama as Star Citizens are told the first star system's completion is delayed 8+ months (yet again)

A subreddit outside of the bubble looks at Star Citizen:

---Honestly I think it will fail even if it eventually does actually release. They’ve promised so many features that if it gets a 1.0, it’ll be picked over with the finest tooth comb you can find.

---Is there even any hype for the game left? Outside the cult of hyperfans it feels like the only time anyone hears about Star Citizen it's when the game gets more money and it is usually presented from the perspective of: "this game is a bit of scam". If or when it releases will anyone actually want to buy the game?

---It's an opportunity to see cult mentality first hand, but without the risk of anyone being made to drink poison. Yet.

---it’s so hilariously transparent that this isn’t about making a game anymore but more so about exploiting a community of zealous fans who will spend as much money as humanly possible to make sure that they’re right

---Golly i love Star Citizen drama. You got the hardcore cult believers who defend SC and smash disent everywhere. You got the former believers who want/got their money back. And you got the observers who are split between SC being a scam and SC just being caught in feature creep. It brightens my day when i see SC drama on here.

---Yea, it's like making fun of the little puppy still waiting for his dead owner to come back.

---isn't evidence supposed to work the other way around? i haven't seen SC prove that it's not a well engineered scam, the less competent CiG seems the more they get away with.

also gee I wonder why people who spent money on something and never got what they were promised would have a vested interest in where that community goes and actively trying to warn/help other people, but at least he called it gospel, so SOMETHING here is canon.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 19, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't know much about Minecraft but I have the RTX Beta and I can say in 100% honesty that after playing around with it today Minecraft has better graphics than Star Citzern now, and that's frankly hilarious

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I don't know much about Minecraft but I have the RTX Beta and I can say in 100% honesty that after playing around with it today Minecraft has better graphics than Star Citzern now, and that's frankly hilarious

FUD

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Agony Aunt posted:

Same as with everything else. A massive disconnect between what CIG say will be delivered and what they can actually deliver.

What they promise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKS70FDZV8&t=23s

What they will deliver:

These faces fill me with existential dread. They make me hate being alive. If I buy an Idris will they stop? I'm open to black mail at this point.

WHEN did this come out? 2019!?

How in TYOL 2019 can these abominable faces be in video game trailers when THESE....

came out in 2018!!?

Y'all thought I was going to go for a Death Stranding face didn't y'all? Nah, too easy (the bottom picture is from Detroit: Become Human).

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 19, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I'd say it also has better AI

Maybe even flight model.

Still, Star Citizen wins easy on best elevator control panels.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

These faces fill me with existential dread. They make me hate being alive. If I buy an Idris will they stop? I'm open to black mail at this point.

WHEN did this come out? 2019!?

How in TYOL 2019 can these abominable faces be in video game trailers when THESE....

came out in 2018!!?

Y'all thought I was going to go for a Death Stranding face didn't y'all? Nah, too easy.

CIG's has a different bar they have to clear than any other company. A real game development company knows how to make a game, and is expected to push the envelope of technology and art.

All CIG has to do is prove they can do "a thing." "Look, we made a character, just like a real studio! We can make games too!"

I've called CIG the special olympics of game development before, and I meant it. I don't mean it in a reductionist insulting way either; the special olympics was designed to allow people who can't for whatever reason perform in the real deal, so they make a toned-down version of the events so they can participate at their level and enjoy the same competitive spirit.

The problem is that the real special olympics are a separate event from the regular olympics. You would never put them head to head, it would defeat the entire purpose of the exercise. Well that's exactly what CIG has done with their "game development" studio with entirely predictable results. Hence you have the above screenshots.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Dementropy posted:

A succulent barbecue of meltdown drama as Star Citizens are told the first star system's completion is delayed 8+ months (yet again)

]somethingToDoWithMe [score hidden] 2 hours ago 

The groverhaus of video games.

[–]lemmingsnake [score hidden] 2 hours ago 

Thank you for reminding me of groverhaus, pretty great analogy for SC development

Not sure if these are goons or of the legend of grover has truly achieved internet nirvana, either way I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Titanic posted:

This is a perfect summary. :)

Goes into technical details of staffing and planning behind the coding and development. There's considerable accountability, and different milestone avenues to meet as well.

Is CIG was guilty of anything, it would be missing the piece where a publisher is filling those shoes.
1: Identify the MVP
2: Ensure resources are aligned to constantly be moving toward that MVP, this is the capital project resourcing
3: Identify clear milestones to show progress to stakeholders
4: Organized delivery, this isn't just coding, but it's documentation, marketing components, training internal support staff, receiving bug reports and scoping them and prioritizing them into some release, managing the releases, etc

Going into any of these is a lot of work. Getting to the point where you start writing code is in itself a tremendous undertaking as well; and it also seems to be another area CIG skimped on.

The way the project goes, it seems like CR is either unaware of all of the myriad of pieces that have to happen behind the coding for a successful project to happen, or is aware of it but doesn't enjoy it so he's been trying to basically skip, or pretend he can run a massive project without this level of administration.

It might work with a tiny project, but anything like a video game where multiple devs are working on it and inevitably you're going to screw this up without these layers of administrative responsibility.

My bet would be he saw this later controlled by a publisher, saw it as "the enemy" instead of filling a critical role that his company otherwise would have needed to staff themselves, and basically cut that entire segment of a successful company out. He didn't staff it himself, and just left it out.

Star citizen is the result of these missing layers. Nearly a decade of development, a roadmap nobody believes in, releases constantly under delivering and being delivered far too late and way the gently caress outside of any normal development budget.

Can you save it? Probably not without a complete restart of the project and getting the right people to fill all necessary roles and ensure accountability from all levels of development.

You sound like you know something about software development. Get out of here with your FUD!