Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thank you both very much! So I'll take the first one simple, and see how it goes. And I also now have a lot of reading to do :)

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Smoked turkey loving owns and it's easily my favorite way to cook it. If you haven't tried it before, give it a 2 day dry brine before smoking and it's just jaw droppingly moist and delicious.

Yeah I did it for the first time at thanksgiving and the wife said it was the best turkey she's ever had, and it will definitely be our tradition moving forward. It was the best I've ever had too - my mom used to always do a whole bird and I've just never really eaten turkey breast that wasn't dry as gently caress and that didn't require cranberry sauce to have some kind of moisture. When I smoke it to 165 it's juicy as all hell!

I did a one day dry brine, will have to give it the extra day next time! Every time I opened the container I'd get hit with that smokey smell... so good. Today I took all the bones and made a smokey carcass soup out of it and it was drat good.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have a CyberQ Cloud from BBQ Guru and am getting the new UltraQ when it comes out soon. You might want to email them and see how long it will be for preorders these days. It was supposed to be soon but that was a few months ago and things are different now...

I have the Cloud as well - what's the deal with the UltraQ? I wish they would just make an app that has local notifications rather than SMS crap from ShareMyCook. I use PitPal but it somehow doesn't have notifications for pit temp or food temp either, which for a BBQ monitoring app is... kind of really stupid and a big miss.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Guitarchitect posted:

I have the Cloud as well - what's the deal with the UltraQ? I wish they would just make an app that has local notifications rather than SMS crap from ShareMyCook. I use PitPal but it somehow doesn't have notifications for pit temp or food temp either, which for a BBQ monitoring app is... kind of really stupid and a big miss.

Ultra Q I think does the app. They haven’t shipped yet, and they are still improving ShareMyCook, too (which is really not great).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I currently use the Weber iGrill 2, which is fine for sending temps to my phone via BlueTooth. What's an affordable option that would connect to my home wifi instead?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Guitarchitect posted:

Yeah I did it for the first time at thanksgiving and the wife said it was the best turkey she's ever had, and it will definitely be our tradition moving forward. It was the best I've ever had too - my mom used to always do a whole bird and I've just never really eaten turkey breast that wasn't dry as gently caress and that didn't require cranberry sauce to have some kind of moisture. When I smoke it to 165 it's juicy as all hell!

I did a one day dry brine, will have to give it the extra day next time! Every time I opened the container I'd get hit with that smokey smell... so good. Today I took all the bones and made a smokey carcass soup out of it and it was drat good.

Yep. Growing up the same way, mom would toss the turkey in and it would end up basically like the scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Don't ask me how she prepared pork, she had some great fear of trichinosis. Was easier to eat a shoe.

Funniest thing was after taking Thanksgiving cooking duties about everyone at the table was skeptical if I cooked it enoughed because it was so moist. Kinda makes me wonder when those stupid thermometers pop.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Those thermometers are set to pop at 180 to 185F, which is like 25 degrees higher than you want to actually pull the turkey. Those things are the reason for an entire generation of horribly dry, overcooked Thanksgiving birds.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i found this video really useful for trimming a full brisket. i save the 2-3lbs of fat i cut off and render it down for other uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rtd7GITlg

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doing my first brisket right now. My dog allready loved all the fat I trimmed off, so at least one guy is already happy with it!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

6lb is a tiny brisket and will need a lot of watching to not overcook.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chemmy posted:

6lb is a tiny brisket and will need a lot of watching to not overcook.

It's probably just the point or just the flat.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just the point

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Okay, got the stall at 170 (dropped to 165 now, I assume the fat is currently melting). So it seems to handle similar to pork, where - to my experience - it also tend to get the stall later when I use smaller pieces.

Currently at 165, grill is nailed at 220 for most of the day (9 hours at the moment) (sometimes a bit lower, to like 200). It seems like could be finished by dinner time (with about one hour of resting time). I assume I hosed up the bark, as I couldn't find my injection needle yesterday and thus didn't inject any broth, but mopped it today because the internet told me that I should do that if I don't inject broth. Looks kinda good and smells really nice. Fingers crossed.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Injecting is a wasting of time and makes the meat taste like pot roast.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I've always wondered, how are you supposed to control temperatures when getting started? Usually I get the fire going and put the water pan in and let it get to around ~250 for 5-10 minutes before putting the meat on. After I put the meat on, the temperature usually struggles to get back over 200 degrees. Are you supposed to just leave the vents where they were or open them up to get back up to temp? I usually open the vents, but that ends up overshooting temp by a lot later when the meat and water are hotter.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I haven't noticed that. If you wrap it in aluminum foil, sure.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What are you injecting that gets this result? I usually inject my briskets with water and have had really good luck. It acts as a kind of buffer to prevent the brisket from drying out if theres a temperature spike I dont fix quickly. Then again I dont crutch my briskets usually so maybe thats why Im getting a different result.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ I don't do it myself because I've had so many that had been injected and they were too watery.

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't noticed that. If you wrap it in aluminum foil, sure.

They're different ways to achieve the same goal. I'm finicky though.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2020

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
People inject all kinds of weird stuff into brisket. I wonder if some of the ones youve had used beef broth. That seems like it could get a really beefy, roast like flavor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

gwrtheyrn posted:

I've always wondered, how are you supposed to control temperatures when getting started? Usually I get the fire going and put the water pan in and let it get to around ~250 for 5-10 minutes before putting the meat on. After I put the meat on, the temperature usually struggles to get back over 200 degrees. Are you supposed to just leave the vents where they were or open them up to get back up to temp? I usually open the vents, but that ends up overshooting temp by a lot later when the meat and water are hotter.

Short answer is to use it a lot and learn it.

Long answer is all of them are different. But the basic principle is to bring the temp up slowly and fine tune vents so it is steady. And a lot of patience. Open the hood, toss a big heat sink in it (meat) it will take time for it to come back to temp.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

What are you using to smoke?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Dango Bango posted:

What are you using to smoke?

I'm using an 18.5 WSM

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tuo posted:

Okay, got the stall at 170 (dropped to 165 now, I assume the fat is currently melting).

The stall has nothing to do with melting fat, it’s the point when evaporative cooling from the liquids in the meat balances out heating from the hot air. That’s why crutching kills the stall - by enclosing it, you prevent evaporation and this cooling. If it was melting fat, crutching wouldn’t affect the stall.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Anyone got any tips on transporting a kamado? Got a line on a 2nd hand Kamado Joe 2 Classic but I have some reservations about putting it in the back of my car. Can it be broken down or moved lying on its side?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh no, not more belly burnt ends!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
unless you can find a way to ratchet strap it down during transport, i'd recommend disassembling it since they're easy to tip over.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

BraveUlysses posted:

unless you can find a way to ratchet strap it down during transport, i'd recommend disassembling it since they're easy to tip over.

Thanks for this. On reflection, since I'm the world's clumsiest motherfucker I think I'm going to go for one of those steel Broil Kings instead

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wachter posted:

Anyone got any tips on transporting a kamado? Got a line on a 2nd hand Kamado Joe 2 Classic but I have some reservations about putting it in the back of my car. Can it be broken down or moved lying on its side?

Not being sarcastic, but if doing it bring a poo poo load of blankets and a few friends. If you can get the lid off (and then you have the fun of finding wrenches and the re-alinging the drat thing) that would make the job easier.

At my age, there is no way in hell I would attempt it. When I sell my house my ceramic cooker goes with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wachter posted:

Thanks for this. On reflection, since I'm the world's clumsiest motherfucker I think I'm going to go for one of those steel Broil Kings instead

You talking about like a Chargiller Akorn?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

tuo posted:

Doing my first brisket right now. My dog allready loved all the fat I trimmed off, so at least one guy is already happy with it!

Enjoy cleaning up all of the runny shits!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What do you have against pot roast?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Sometimes I overshoot the temp at startup, knowing that it will lose a lot when opened and tray/meat are added, then I set at the desired temp.

BraveUlysses posted:

That's what she said.

Wachter posted:

You've chosen wisely. I've no regerts with my BK Keg.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 19, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Colostomy Bag posted:

You talking about like a Chargiller Akorn?

This thing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

At my age, there is no way in hell I would attempt it. When I sell my house my ceramic cooker goes with it.

i've put a Large Egg into a few cars and moved it okay

the last two moves however, i had the XL egg and that was moved by the professional movers. money well spent imo.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Wachter posted:

meh. I'd go for a steel kamado if it was larger, but I was endlessly frustrated with my broil king keg. too narrow!! I made good food on it, but I didn't really realize when I was starting out that multiple levels aren't nearly as good as a large wide cooking surface. Imagine if you're smoking wings and ribs and the wings are up top, and you want to wrap your ribs. Or you want to sear your steaks after your wife asked you to throw a bunch of veggies on the grill. On top of that it's obscure enough that there aren't a lot of accessories that are ready-to-use with it.

That being said is was very efficient with fuel, and if I had the funds I would probably be getting a Weber Summit Charcoal. I still keep an alert active on my local kijiji for one. I think it's probably the perfect compromise between the huge ceramic eggs and all the benefits of the BKK. I ended up selling the BKK and got a 26.5" weber kettle with the SNS XL now and I really, really love the real estate and how easy it is, and I've smoked a lot of good stuff as well as grilled some good stuff. Absolutely no regrets with it... the only thing i will probably regret is that if I ever get a Summit Charcoal I'll have wished I never knew the glory of the 26.5" cooking area :D

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 19, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Honestly I'm already bewildered by the range of kit out there without considering the larger grills :gonk:

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Wachter posted:

Have you seen the Blaze aluminium kamado?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Save $200 and get the 2000 version. Unless you absolutely have to have the wings. Take that $200 you saved and get an iQue stoker. I have been running mine for 8 years now and wouldn’t trade it. I have yet to feel it to be too small whatsoever.

Edit: a complaint about the top rack being in the way if you want to wrap whats on the bottom? You simply rotate the rack to the side, do what you need, them just rotate it back. And what “accessories” would you need for it that wouldn’t be compatible? In the 8 years I have had it I have yet to desire something for it that I couldn’t get for it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 20, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

With an MES, what do you guys for cleaning and cooking? Let’s say pork ribs or chicken. I’ve been doing them directly on one of the racks and covering the bottom and the water reservoir with foil, but the rack is still loving disgusting and sometimes fat drips through a crease in the foil and gets everywhere.

What about putting a half sheet cookie rack underneath the rack maybe? That’s all I can think of but am open to ideas. Masterbuilt sells like 6 tin foil pans for $20 but that seems a bit expensive.

For cleaning, I’m not bothering with the glass front anymore, nor will I bother with the sides. The racks just get a Brillo pad and some water because I don’t think they’ll fit in the dishwasher.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I had to order a replacement pit probe for my bbq guru, thus ensuring I'll find my old probe within a week. It's been missing since last fall and I suspect a varmint (either raccoon or my kids, 50/50) took it off my deck.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

I had to order a replacement pit probe for my bbq guru, thus ensuring I'll find my old probe within a week. It's been missing since last fall and I suspect a varmint (either raccoon or my kids, 50/50) took it off my deck.

Those new probes they have look pretty nice. I was rocking an old school Competitor model (the one with the two dials) but hope to get an Ultra Q when they come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I made brisket during Easter weekend. I only use the high heat method these days because it's just so drat convenient but I'm not a huge fan of the surface texture of the meat when done this way. I'm wondering if throwing it on the grill at the end for a few minutes might do the trick. Any comments or suggestions?