Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Look up the model of the furnace, you must surely be able to find something online that tells you where to stick your lit match.

No.. you don't understand it's not working... If it's working it can't be replaced until my states regulations are lifted. If it's not working it's essential.

I mean I guess I can look up how to light pilot on a 1962 ac Delco oil furnace converted to natural gas.. but right now it's not working...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Even without the quarantine, if my furnace pilot light went out I'd try to fix it myself before looking to hire a contractor. With the quarantine I'd just try that much harder. Pilot lights go out all the time, I can't imagine that it's that hard to access.

If you're trying to use this as an excuse to replace the furnace despite the quarantine...you can wait a month or two, geeze.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll probably try and light it tomorrow. A few of the companies said they'd come out and give quotes so I'll have to be at the house for a bit. Even then the temps aren't going to be too low and I'm not living there so not a huge deal.eithrt way.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
At the bare minimum, watch whoever does it so if it goes out in the future you know how to relight it yourself.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cormack posted:

At the bare minimum, watch whoever does it so if it goes out in the future you know how to relight it yourself.

yeah I've re-lit several boilers / furnaces but nothing this ancient, and nothing that's been oil converted to natural gas.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I wouldn’t think the oil to gas conversion would affect how you interact with the pilot light? But I’ve never dealt with oil-fueled/converted things.

Also, do not underestimate the breadth of how-to repair videos on YouTube. I once found one on how to fix/reassemble my exact model of toaster, which was made in the 1930s. Also found one on relighting the oven pilot light in our lovely old Tappan range.

I’d definitely attempt to relight myself before calling someone, especially during the quarantine. Mostly because my dad would make fun of me forever if I called a contractor to relight a pilot light (even one that’s weird/difficult to light).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not calling ones to relight the pilot. I'm calling ones to quote a replacement and adding AC in an empty house that I will be moving into in a bit. So far 1 has come over, 1 had me take pictures and measurements, 1 is coming tomorrow.

For the guy today I unlocked the house and opened the door then said go do your thing while I unload my van into the garage. When he was done I locked up, hand sanitized and then he called me with his questions on what I wanted.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tater_salad posted:

I'm not calling ones to relight the pilot. I'm calling ones to quote a replacement and adding AC in an empty house that I will be moving into in a bit. So far 1 has come over, 1 had me take pictures and measurements, 1 is coming tomorrow.

For the guy today I unlocked the house and opened the door then said go do your thing while I unload my van into the garage. When he was done I locked up, hand sanitized and then he called me with his questions on what I wanted.

Your posts earlier stuck with me, I don't know where you live, and what the state orders are. I get that it's a opportunity to get things done but it's best for everyone to just wait. The installers have to interact with you, other clients, suppliers etc, and it's a few interactions that are avoidable if it's not an emergency.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure what my states regulations on home improvements are. One company said they'd only do it as an emergency, the others didn't ask.

If 3 of the 4 companies in getting quotes from aren't really having qualms about doing it then I'll let them do it at their discretion. When I was there yesterday I relight the light.

Sorry for causing everyone so much stress.

edit:
1. I looked into lighting the furnace today, there's no thermocouple / safety features to prevent gas from flowing if pilot is out.
2. Guy doing a quote today confirmed and said if we're not in the house to verify it's heating occasionally, he'd highly recommend not lighting the pilot as it's potentially unsafe if the pilot goes out again. When he reviewed everything he said that a lack of power should not have caused the pilot to become unlit so without knowing why it's out it's best to keep gas shut off to the furnace.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 8, 2020

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut
So we just had babby's first termite swarmer experience in our basement yesterday. Had two exterminators come out today and scope out the property, didn't see any mud tubes or anything really blatant but clearly something there. One suggested a Termidor treatment, including lots of drilling, while the other pitched the Sentricon system. Anyone have any preference here? I understand the Sentricon includes ongoing yearly costs with monitoring and bait replacement, but leaning towards Termidor just because it seems to be the more immediately effective solution given that we clearly have a colony in/near the house. Upfront costs were largely in line with each other so no real dealbreakers there - bids were $1200-1300 for either option.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Termidor is more effective from what I've read and the only reason to use sentricon baits instead is it earns the pest companies more money.

I have both fwiw. I use a termidor spray around the perimeter of my house (and on my soffits for wasps) and I have bait stations. The termidor also fucks up carpenter ants.

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut

SpartanIvy posted:

Termidor is more effective from what I've read and the only reason to use sentricon baits instead is it earns the pest companies more money.

I have both fwiw. I use a termidor spray around the perimeter of my house (and on my soffits for wasps) and I have bait stations. The termidor also fucks up carpenter ants.

Seems to be my view too. Sounds like sentricon would be a good preventative but we’re already hosed, so pump in those chems!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
On domyown you can order your own bait stations and stuff too. That would be what I would do if I could redo it with what I know now.

Taurus SC is the Termidor equivalent I use.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm actually looking at options for termite treatment too. We bought our house last year (April 2019) and had the termite inspection done with no problems. The prior home owners claimed they'd down a full treatment the prior October in 2019. A few months back I saw some tunnels pop up in the center of the garage between the concrete floor slab EJs but they stopped and didn't proceed any further and I haven't seen any more tunnels so far anywhere else.

We had a termite company give us a quote for spot treatment but they recommended full perimeter treatment, using Dominion 2L. My wife and I have been trying for a second child, so we've been a bit nervous to do the full treatment given any chemica/pesticide exposure, especially during a first trimester, and I'm probably going to get some more quotes anyway. (The quote they gave for full perimeter treatment for a single story, 2100 sq.ft. house seemed ridiculousy cheap, like $480 for treatment + 1 year warranty or $670 for treatment + 5 year warranty. When she owned a condo several years back and we had Orkin do a termite treatment, it was like $800-900 for the perimeter treatment plus some wall foaming, using Termidor).

I did see the Sentricon system, but does it actually work? Sounds like it's more a money grab, but since we don't have active tunnels currently that I know of, I was hoping it could be a decent option.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Any good places to order self install blinds and curtains? All places around me are closed for corona and I am taking ownership of my new condo next week

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing skylights? I'm getting my roof redone and the guy offered to install new skylights if I buy them since he has to take out the old ones during the old roof teardown anyway. Is it just "buy something that fits the hole?" The current ones aren't anything special (two of them are actually diy out of poorly cut safety glass or some poo poo), and I don't get a lot of sunlight so I don't think tinting or domes or whatever are needed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

joepinetree posted:

Any good places to order self install blinds and curtains? All places around me are closed for corona and I am taking ownership of my new condo next week

There are a million websites online that are all basically reselling the same couple of brands. Pick one to get a bunch of free samples from, and then price out what you want from a handful of them to find the best price. They might not tell you they are just reselling Bali blinds, but the color code/name will be the same across the board.

Quoting a post from the home spergin thread:

Sirotan posted:

:unsmith:

And to make this less of a white noise post, here is what I've learned about honeycomb shades: it's Bali all the way down. Everyone just resells Bali even if they don't admit it. Figure out what color you want by getting samples from whichever place is most convenient, and then price shop. These sites all have constant sales but as of 2/7/2020, here is what a 27" x 52 1/4" light-filtering 1/2" double-cell corded standard top-down shade in the color Gentle Gray (1534) costs:

Blinds.com: $82.19
Costco: $85.50
JC Penny: $85.50
Blinds Galore: $86.96
Home Depot: $94.38
Lowes: $97.72
Select Blinds: $104.80

Prices don't include tax. Almost every site has free shipping. Blinds.com also gave me a $20 code for signing up for their mailing list.

I just bought two more blinds for another room, one of which was the same size as above, and this time around Lowe's was the cheapest at $84.70. Lead time seems to be 3-4 weeks everywhere right now.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Also for simple blinds Passenger Pigeon on amazon is a cheap brand that does fit to size custom blinds pretty cheap. I put in 2 shades for like 50 dollars each and they were exact fits and perfectly fine.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks.
I also need to figure out what to do about the door in the master bedroom that has a large transom window above the glass door that leads to the balcony.
I might just end up buying a cheap dyi option for a couple of months, even if 10 feet long shades look ridiculous, and wait till we can get someone to come over.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

marjorie posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing skylights? I'm getting my roof redone and the guy offered to install new skylights if I buy them since he has to take out the old ones during the old roof teardown anyway. Is it just "buy something that fits the hole?" The current ones aren't anything special (two of them are actually diy out of poorly cut safety glass or some poo poo), and I don't get a lot of sunlight so I don't think tinting or domes or whatever are needed.

Standard is Velux, available at home depot.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Anyone here ever buy a wall bed (murphy bed)? I want to upgrade my guest room from an air mattress but not give up the floor space all the time. It seems like a good compromise. Any thoughts?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Slow Motion posted:

Anyone here ever buy a wall bed (murphy bed)? I want to upgrade my guest room from an air mattress but not give up the floor space all the time. It seems like a good compromise. Any thoughts?

I just had had this same thought yesterday, hopefully we have a few people with experience

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if this is the right place to ask because I didn't see anything about it in the OP but is there any discussion or thread about buying properties to turn into rentals?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Marcus Elden posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask because I didn't see anything about it in the OP but is there any discussion or thread about buying properties to turn into rentals?
There was a thread, once.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Our new place has a small laundry so we're looking at compact washer and dryers, and the one we are looking at has both a vented and condensation versions of the dryer. Same price. The place has a vent there, so we could use either. Looking online it's like half of the reviews are that condensation dryers are absolute trash, and half are that they are the future and energy efficient, no lint, etc. Anyone with strong opinions either way?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Slow Motion posted:

I bought this bed: https://bredabeds.com/murphy-beds/shop-metropolitan-collection/metropolitan-murphy-bed-w-hutches.html

It's very nice, but it was kind of maddening to put together. Picture a giant Ikea piece of furniture, except at the end of assembling it you get to an unexpected step where you screw the steel frame to the hardwood front with 100 tiny screws, and if you drill too far on any one of them you'll have a hole in your bed.

It is very nice though!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Our new place has a small laundry so we're looking at compact washer and dryers, and the one we are looking at has both a vented and condensation versions of the dryer. Same price. The place has a vent there, so we could use either. Looking online it's like half of the reviews are that condensation dryers are absolute trash, and half are that they are the future and energy efficient, no lint, etc. Anyone with strong opinions either way?

They are super energy efficient but any positive reviews I've heard of them seem to couch/gloss over any negatives with the eco aspects, which makes me suspicious. If they had a combo model that is what I would trust (90% done via condenser, last 10% blasted out of the vent) but I don't think that exists on the market.

I would buy a vented one. They're cheap and reliable. No frills needed. High / Low and a hook/tray for "lay flat" stuff.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

They are super energy efficient but any positive reviews I've heard of them seem to couch/gloss over any negatives with the eco aspects, which makes me suspicious. If they had a combo model that is what I would trust (90% done via condenser, last 10% blasted out of the vent) but I don't think that exists on the market.

I would buy a vented one. They're cheap and reliable. No frills needed. High / Low and a hook/tray for "lay flat" stuff.

The added complication is that the sears outlet near me now has the pair I want (GE) but they only have the ventless version. It's about a 600 dollar difference for the pair (also the sears are refurbished versions, but with full warranty). We could just buy the washer there and the dryer at full price somewhere else, but the added delivery fee would eat into the savings. If it's a "ventless with dry in 75 minutes what a vented dries in 60," then savings are worth it. If it's "2 hours later and things are still damp" it might not be. It's weird because for other appliances I seem to be able to find all sorts of testing but for dryers its much harder to find.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

ntan1 posted:

Standard is Velux, available at home depot.

Thanks for this. Picked up some - here's to hoping there not something weird about the skylight holes (especially those diy ones - is was hard to measure since the glass bit was larger than the opening, but it seemed like it might be a slightly non-standard size, which would explain the use of non-traditional glass). I assume the roofing folks can just re-cut holes or whatever if necessary.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

joepinetree posted:

The added complication is that the sears outlet near me now has the pair I want (GE) but they only have the ventless version. It's about a 600 dollar difference for the pair (also the sears are refurbished versions, but with full warranty). We could just buy the washer there and the dryer at full price somewhere else, but the added delivery fee would eat into the savings. If it's a "ventless with dry in 75 minutes what a vented dries in 60," then savings are worth it. If it's "2 hours later and things are still damp" it might not be. It's weird because for other appliances I seem to be able to find all sorts of testing but for dryers its much harder to find.

Our samsung condensation drier takes 3 hours and fifteen minutes to dry out a load. Maybe it's the a+++ energy efficiency.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

At 3 hours you might as well hang it on a line.

I get that’s not an option most of the time but drat that is a brutally long wait.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

At 3 hours you might as well hang it on a line.

I get that’s not an option most of the time but drat that is a brutally long wait.

Blame the DoE. Appliances have upper limits on energy and water consumption nowadays, so there's not much they can do. Getting rid of algae plumes and using less energy are generally good ideas, but they come with a cost.

quote:

Dishwashing cycle times have become dramatically worse under DOE standards, resulting in a drop in consumer satisfaction. A survey of 11,000 dishwasher owners by GE Appliances shows that cycle time is one of the four biggest reasons consumers are dissatisfied with the performance of their dishwashers. DOE itself has acknowledged this is caused by its regulations, saying: “To help compensate for the negative impact on cleaning performance associated with decreasing water use and water temperature, manufacturers will typically increase the cycle time.”

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'd only buy a steam / condensation dryer if it was the only choice. 3hrs a load is insane I do like 3-4 loads a day on my work from home day.. couldn't imagine 12hrs for drying. My brother has one and he mentioned 2-3 hrs to dry a load of towels.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I have a vent free condensation dryer and it takes an hour and 40 minutes to do a standard load? It's an Electrolux that I purchased because my basement barely can fit a washer/dryer and it was a 24" wide model that fit the stairs.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
On a related note, is consumer reports testing worth anything? I've been looking for any sort of concrete data on this and they claim to have it, but behind a paywall.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

joepinetree posted:

On a related note, is consumer reports testing worth anything? I've been looking for any sort of concrete data on this and they claim to have it, but behind a paywall.

I have a favorable opinion of them. I have a sub, what are you looking for?

They’re testing seems pretty solid, but their reliability ratings are based on folks that fill out their surveys. I get one quarterly that I fill out.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I have a favorable opinion of them. I have a sub, what are you looking for?

They’re testing seems pretty solid, but their reliability ratings are based on folks that fill out their surveys. I get one quarterly that I fill out.

Their compact dryer ratings, though it seems that they've only tested the vented versions of the ones I am looking at. Since I will also be buying a dishwasher and a wall oven I might just subscribe for a month.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ahh looks like my sub expired anyway.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wanna buy a house that’s around 450k ish, but I want to know if there’s any assistance in Minnesota for first time minority homebuyers.

how do I find this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

PawParole posted:

I wanna buy a house that’s around 450k ish, but I want to know if there’s any assistance in Minnesota for first time minority homebuyers.

how do I find this out?

Minnesota has some first-time assistance programs overall, but there's a purchase cap involved at $330,100 or lower. Land trusts and other affordable-housing programs have income limits that, at first glance, put $450,000 out of responsible reach (ex: ~$80K for a family of four). The Minnesota Home Ownership Center that can give you better guidance than I can find with five minutes of Googling, but at $450,000 you're probably on your own, no matter what your creed or color.

e: you might also want to ask this in the (House Buying Thread)

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 20, 2020