Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The smart ones backed right the gently caress off in the background two pages back. Everyone encircling him were the ones who thought this was their moment.

It was not their moment.

yeah i think you're right, we're not in the same spot anymore and everyone's moved forward to encircle him.

presumably all those people who backed off are all perfectly fine, since he did promise them

Ashcans posted:

His halo is completely gone this whole time, which I take to mean this is all purely his Ki Rata bullshit, not even powered or enhanced by crazy Key poo poo.

the same glowing purple as his halo is completely surrounding his body tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashcans posted:

His halo is completely gone this whole time, which I take to mean this is all purely his Ki Rata bullshit, not even powered or enhanced by crazy Key poo poo.

eke out posted:

yeah i think you're right, we're not in the same spot anymore and everyone's moved forward to encircle him.

presumably all those people who backed off are all perfectly fine, since he did promise them

the same glowing purple as his halo is completely surrounding his body tho

I think all the Key's doing here is stopping time, because his word is Diamond and I'd wager that lets him craft a perfectly-preserved moment in time. He does need help to punch people to red slurry, that's all pure Ki-Rata.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

eke out posted:

I doubt it; Dave's probably going to letter-of-the-law and kill them too because he said that they had to "remain as you are and do absolutely nothing".

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-10-132/

Hell, he's probably going to still kill people who did stand still because they blinked or something.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Such a beautiful shade of bright red. I want this as my wallpaper. :perfect:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

I doubt it; Dave's probably going to letter-of-the-law and kill them too because he said that they had to "remain as you are and do absolutely nothing".

Hell, he's probably going to still kill people who did stand still because they blinked or something.

That's not his style. The letter of the law here is goading people into striking him, killing the others just makes him look bad as the Paternum. Leaving them alone sends a much better message to everyone watching; Obey the Paternum and be rewarded. Come at the Paternum and you best not loving miss because he sure won't.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not his style. The letter of the law here is goading people into striking him, killing the others just makes him look bad as the Paternum. Leaving them alone sends a much better message to everyone watching; Obey the Paternum and be rewarded. Come at the Paternum and you best not loving miss because he sure won't.

right, pure letter of the law Rules Lawyer Solomon would've just instantly murdered White Chain the millisecond she did not submit.

this is about projecting power and part of his self-image is that he's the Generous But Stern Father

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nah, keep in mind this is all a show—he wants to demonstrate that A) he is a horrifying killing machine that no mortal has a chance to even touch, and B) that he is magnanimous and fair. It's a carrot and stick approach, showing the good things you get when you follow his orders, and the very bad things that happen when you oppose him. He might not give anything to the people who ran off, but he's not going to kill them, and he's not going to gently caress with the people who stood still. That wouldn't be fair.

Also, I really appreciate this page because after dozens of pages of high-powered kung fu bullshit, in just two updates we get to easily see how far above and beyond Solomon David is above them all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
:stare:

Abbadon you magnificient bastard

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
okay but will the BLOOD EXPLOSION EXTRAORDINAIRE perfectly miss the people sitting down

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

okay but will the BLOOD EXPLOSION EXTRAORDINAIRE perfectly miss the people sitting down

you know it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
From everyone else's perspective this is one of those "the swords clicks the last inch back into its sheath without ever being seen and everyone falls in half" moments

The very height of martial arts breathing bullshit

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Hostile V posted:

Solomon David you extra bitch.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

my favorite part is that he only put the halo back on after he finished tenderizing everyone, just to flex that much harder

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think all the Key's doing here is stopping time, because his word is Diamond and I'd wager that lets him craft a perfectly-preserved moment in time. He does need help to punch people to red slurry, that's all pure Ki-Rata.

the words associated with each demiurge seems to be more of a representation of their personality/existential quandary than their powers

diamond is flawless and nearly indestructible, but also inflexible, reflecting how solomon david has essentially been imprisoned by his own perfection - all his endeavors are ostensibly to free himself from the "burden" of ruling his empire, but he's unable to just walk away from it all because in his mind there's no one better for the position than himself

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

I'm now officially a Salmon Dave fangirl.

Oxxidation posted:

diamond is flawless and nearly indestructible, but also inflexible, reflecting how solomon david has essentially been imprisoned by his own perfection

Are you saying that Diamond is... Unbreakable?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

From everyone else's perspective this is one of those "the swords clicks the last inch back into its sheath without ever being seen and everyone falls in half" moments

The very height of martial arts breathing bullshit

I'm really hoping the next page is "and this is what everyone else just saw".

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure the last panel is all that anyone else saw.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Man Solomon David is a piece of poo poo. Great work demonstrating that so well in a two-page spread Abbaddon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJ9k_Im_5w

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At most, they saw the rings come off, he flickers away and everyone explodes. Quite possibly, all they saw was fists raised and gibs.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
He's the worst. Just the worst. And the worst thing about him is that he is the worst because of his way of being the best.

Ugh. I love it, but I'm mad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now that's what I call a splash page

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Letter of the law is just that running away means you don't get any rewards. It basically set up a scenario where those who DO trust in his words get rewards and those who went "actually I dont want to be anywhere near Salami Dave when he's fighting" get mere survival.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
All in a day's work.

Well, a millisecond's work but who's counting? (Not Mammon's guys, they're too busy with Mother Om.)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's fine. At least one of them stuffed magazines/books under their clothes to avoid fatal wounds.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hypocrisy posted:

It's fine. At least one of them stuffed magazines/books under their clothes to avoid fatal wounds.

Soldave was cutting through metal shields with his hands like they were made of jello

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Xarbala posted:

Now that's what I call a splash page

:golfclap:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Every 1001 times they will die in a bloody gorefest for coming at the king, and missing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHsGyDp3m-A

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

/5

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

reignonyourparade posted:

Letter of the law is just that running away means you don't get any rewards. It basically set up a scenario where those who DO trust in his words get rewards and those who went "actually I dont want to be anywhere near Salami Dave when he's fighting" get mere survival.

No, Solomon David made it clear that just for being in the round they're gonna get status and wealth in the Celestial Empire, and don't have to do anything to earn that. But if anyone would like to take a swing at him to try for the grand prize, they are free to do so...

edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone else hear Keith David's voice when reading Solomon's dialogue?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 19, 2020

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
No explosion of blood, only red after-images dissolving into gory mist.

Angry Lobster posted:

Are you saying that Diamond is... Unbreakable?

Diamond is not crash

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy poo poo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone else hear Keith David's voice when reading Solomon's dialogue?

In his lower register, yeah. Him and Clancy Brown doing his raspy Kurgan voice for Oscar are the only performances that directly come to mind when reading the comics.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there anyone in there we recognise from pre-tourney?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, dick tracy villain jackson pollockface

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Ashcans posted:

In my head, the halo is gone because to him, this "eviscerating all challengers in a moment frozen in time thing" is just so. loving. boring.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

hey girl you up posted:

In my head, the halo is gone because to him, this "eviscerating all challengers in a moment frozen in time thing" is just so. loving. boring.

He's been ruling for, what, a thousand+ years? This is probably his 500th or so time performing the Art of the Radial Red Mist. Yawn.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

eke out posted:

trying to figure out if the people who were sitting and not moving to attack him are also dead? i mean it sure looks like literally everyone in that radius is very dead

He punched a table into a perfect map of throne with a pinky. No one in that arena is dead unless he means them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am bad at predicting things, but do you think when he starts doing magic time Bullshit and it, say, doesn't work he will have a breakdown then or afterwards when he has been cut?