Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh mayhem actually looked pretty good

Ignis posted:

Where's your power rankings now :smug:

seriously though, Ete without xzi looks hella bad

paris without xzi almost beat fusion so idk if that's the whole problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Ignis posted:

Where's your power rankings now :smug:

seriously though, Ete without xzi looks hella bad

I do feel like Florida is the best of the bad teams. Eternal has been grouped with the lower edge of the top tier (Fusion, Shock, Dynasty, Dragons), but I feel like even with Xzi they're more in the upper-midcard tier (Reign, Gladiators, Charge, Spark, NYXL).

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

surf rock posted:

I do feel like Florida is the best of the bad teams. Eternal has been grouped with the lower edge of the top tier (Fusion, Shock, Dynasty, Dragons), but I feel like even with Xzi they're more in the upper-midcard tier (Reign, Gladiators, Charge, Spark, NYXL).

just watching this first fight here of the Boston/Toronto match there's no way Florida is on their level, Florida would have absolutely wiped the floor with either of them

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deadwing posted:

just watching this first fight here of the Boston/Toronto match there's no way Florida is on their level, Florida would have absolutely wiped the floor with either of them

battle for the toilet bowl

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
That must be the longest loving delay before KOTH point got capped jesus christ, I just started giggling to myself it was so fun

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I hope that wasn't all the crazy this matchup has.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

9k viewers jesus christ

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It's somewhere between 1 and 4am on a saturday morning in the Americas. You can't be surprised these numbers are low.

I'm only watching because its slow at work

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I've gotta admit that the excitement for Chinese overwatch has waned a lil bit, between the matches being repeats for three weeks and counting, and Chengdu insisting on playing something that resembles the current meta

kru
Oct 5, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

It's somewhere between 1 and 4am on a saturday morning in the Americas. You can't be surprised these numbers are low.

I'm only watching because its slow at work

It's 11am in Europe and 6pm in China (where both teams playing are from!). 12k viewers is absolutely shocking.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Chinese and Euro viewers arent going to show up on NA youtube as I understand it.

Ignis posted:

I've gotta admit that the excitement for Chinese overwatch has waned a lil bit, between the matches being repeats for three weeks and counting, and Chengdu insisting on playing something that resembles the current meta

Definitely agree with this though. It's only so interesting to watch Shanghai stomp the poo poo out of the Spark for what, the third time?

This whole season has felt like a wash for months now. Several teams have still barely played at all and I just dont see when things are going to change.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Wow I preemptively feel bad for surf rock when he gets around to watching that Numbani match.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

kru posted:

9k viewers jesus christ

the bilibili stream right now claims 4.8 million viewers

oof that draw

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I have bad news for you about chinese stream view counts

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Yeah that number seems totally unbelievable and I'm probably just reading the data wrong

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

God, we just loving SUCK compared to the Dragons. They have our number so goddamn bad.

edit: it's real lovely when none of your favorite teams are elite. Packers in NFL (great but not excellent), Spark in OWL (good but not great), Pistons in NBA (average), Tigers in MLB (bad), Red Wings in NHL (bad).

Obviously it could be worse and every team I love could be bad, but it's so nice when you have a championship-caliber team in at least one sport. Dammit.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 18, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ad by Khad posted:

Yeah that number seems totally unbelievable and I'm probably just reading the data wrong

Nah it's a common thing that chinese streaming sites report insane viewer numbers. IIirc, basically there's no regulation keeping them honest and they're all competing for the perception of the biggest streaming site and there's a lot of secondary and tertiary incentives to inflating the number so you end up with some extraordinary numbers. People used to try to guess what percent of them were real but tbh they're too opaque and no one knows.

E: wasn't facebook doing this, too?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 18, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
There’s probably a lot of people watching OWL in China but definitely not 4.8 million lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kru posted:

It's 11am in Europe and 6pm in China (where both teams playing are from!). 12k viewers is absolutely shocking.

it's less than half of what they were getting last week for the asian games iirc

kru
Oct 5, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

Chinese and Euro viewers arent going to show up on NA youtube as I understand it.

Is this true? As manatee says, I had 28k viewers last week and 12k this morning.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think Spark are objectively the worst Chinese team but man when they suck, they really suck rear end. They seem way more up and down than the Charge, Dragons, or Hunters.

kru posted:

Is this true? As manatee says, I had 28k viewers last week and 12k this morning.

I mean as Ad by Khad pointed out, Chinese viewers are watching through Billibilli so, yeah? They may be inflating their numbers but no matter what their numbers, the 12k on NA Youtube isn't including them.

Obviously I don't mean to say that viewership isn't greatly down though. It's just not so low that even China isn't watching Chinese games.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Herstory Begins Now posted:

E: wasn't facebook doing this, too?

Twitch and facebook could probably get away with it on a limited basis, but because they are or are owned by US publicly traded companies they could potentially get in trouble if a judge were to determine that outright lies affected the stock price

Anyway that's boring. I will say that I liked the games I watched this week

kru
Oct 5, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean as Ad by Khad pointed out, Chinese viewers are watching through Billibilli so, yeah? They may be inflating their numbers but no matter what their numbers, the 12k on NA Youtube isn't including them.

Obviously it doesnt include chinese viewers. You infer that euro/NA viewer totals are split.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
If it isn't obviously clear to literally anyone eu/na numbers are not split from each other. It's split by plattform. Getting 10k viewers at any time is brutal imo.

Tommu fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 19, 2020

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Tommu posted:

If it isn't obviously clear to literally anyone eu/na numbers are not split from each other. It's split by plattform. Getting 10k viewers at any time is brutal imo.

yeah, exactly

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

kru posted:

Obviously it doesnt include chinese viewers. You infer that euro/NA viewer totals are split.

I mean you didn't specify if you were asking about Euro viewers and you'd already said you thought the view count included Chinese viewers so I don't think that was an unreasonable reply. As far as Euro viewers though, I am definitely willing to admit I'm wrong on that if Tommu says I am. I probably misunderstood something my Euro friend told me.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Also because i keep seeing people talk about it my understanding is bumper is not in owl of his own volition and there were teams who wanted him.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Do you know anything about the Haksal situation? I saw on Reddit there were signs that he was done with the Titans or they were done with him.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

CuwiKhons posted:

Do you know anything about the Haksal situation? I saw on Reddit there were signs that he was done with the Titans or they were done with him.

No idea, i'm kinda on the way out and spend all my time bitching about terrible design decisions. Think people should be more interested in why London isnt playing till may or why we havnt heard about NYXL tho. (Why didn't titans play this week either idgi???)

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Where's sinattraa either and why the gently caress was he allowed to post he was streaming 8 hours of valorant a day.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
unironically if I owned an owl team, I'd be considering if i could convert the players into valorant pros. Like sinatraa is probably worth more as a potential valorant player than an owl player at this point

I'm partly memeing, but not entirely.

Also I'm really curious what dirt Jeff has on blizz-act execs (beyond the obvious on kotick) that he is apparently chained to OW until the day it finally dies.

E: also we found at least one of the wayward ow teams:

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Esports/status/1251616493743362048?s=20

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 19, 2020

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Haksal, Twilight, and Slime have all removed that they are part of the Titans from their Twitter bios in the last 24 hours. Allegedly the management is awful and the team is basically imploding.

Ad by Khad posted:

Most Chinese streaming sites (including bilibili as far as I can tell) report an activity/popularity rating, not viewer counts. So a viewer donating counts more than one chatting counts more than one just watching. It's not so much fake as it is just useless beyond maybe on-site comparisons. I think some people try to convert activity counts into viewer counts but lol at the idea of that

Facebook was falsifying video views (by counting anyone who watched for 3 seconds as a view) but I don't think there's currently evidence of falsified stream viewers

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2020

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

All the Titans players (except for jjanu, who doesn't use his Twitter much) have removed the Titans branding from their profiles

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, are we about to watch a league unravel right before our eyes? I don't recall that ever happening to a sport midseason before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tommu posted:

No idea, i'm kinda on the way out and spend all my time bitching about terrible design decisions. Think people should be more interested in why London isnt playing till may or why we havnt heard about NYXL tho. (Why didn't titans play this week either idgi???)

I heard london and seoul are in a 2 week quarantine from the government because they traveled there. presumably they can't play? you'd think nyxl would be in the same situation

there are an uneven number of teams in the asian division so I think a team will be sitting out ever week

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Rand Brittain posted:

So, are we about to watch a league unravel right before our eyes? I don't recall that ever happening to a sport midseason before.
XFL (re)started this year, lasted five weeks, then went bankrupt due to coronavirus shutdown

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Manatee Cannon posted:

I heard london and seoul are in a 2 week quarantine from the government because they traveled there. presumably they can't play? you'd think nyxl would be in the same situation

there are an uneven number of teams in the asian division so I think a team will be sitting out ever week

London's been in KR since late March. And if its qurantene how did Vancouver play a game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Unironically, they're all just playing valorant. Hell most of the coaching staff is probably doing the same thing. It's pretty clear that valorant is going to be the #1 source of new esports paychecks for the foreseeable future

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Echo tournament is still going on

https://www.twitch.tv/mb_official
Bracket: https://liquipedia.net/overwatch/Flash_Ops:_Echo_Showdown/NA

Go Kariv and fct :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Facebook was inflating view counts by 400%. 400%. Entire companies folded after being convinced by FB that it was the next big platform over youtube.

If OWL survives into '21 it'll have to go back to a centralized smaller league I think. And they'll have to make big structural changes to the game and pro-play on all levels to keep players. Or throw a poo poo load of their franchising money at them.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 19, 2020