Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

loving eat my aaaaaasssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

human garbage bag posted:

hmm, so the problem isn't capitalism then.

capitalism requires what goes in your bag to keep running. that farmer is a huge piece of entitled poo poo

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Pomp posted:

loving eat my aaaaaasssssssssss

the rich are having to eat their own asses. please be considerate

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Eating rear end is a vector for coronavirus. Please act responsibly during this global pandemic.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

hmm, so the problem isn't capitalism then.

clearly capitalism is the problem because in any other system a dude destroying his own crops would be put in an insane asylum

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

Eating rear end is a vector for coronavirus. Please act responsibly during this global pandemic.

Dehumanise yourself and face to :butt:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Peanut President posted:

he could've also charged people 5 bucks to u-pick, and he probably would've made a profit!! Californians are the stupidest mother fuckers on earth

Most people need someone else to tell them what to do.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Direct order to all readers: do not capitalism

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

oh their lives are so hard

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ask yourself who's holding the phone every time a celebrity posts their wacky social distancing antics. they're holding assistants hostage

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
next you’re going to go on about who’s taking all those “influencers” photos :rolleye:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

snoo posted:

oh their lives are so hard

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Danaru posted:

Lol that living in a post scarcity world is entirely possible for parts of the planet but that would make a completely made up number go DOWN!!!!!!!!

Also the other parts of the planet would probably be a subjugated invisible underclass used to supply resources to the rest of the planet but it's not like that would be different from how it is now or anything.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We live in a global post scarcity world where everyone can have all their needs met. The only limitation is distribution and redesigning things to last longer with the best materials we can produce en mass. Anything you can imagine there's a way for us to do it better without profit.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

clearly capitalism is the problem because in any other system a dude destroying his own crops would be put in an insane asylum

it's his property, he can choose to do with it whatever he wants.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

T-man posted:

We live in a global post scarcity world where everyone can have all their needs met. The only limitation is distribution and redesigning things to last longer with the best materials we can produce en mass. Anything you can imagine there's a way for us to do it better without profit.

Probably even with profit.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

We're at the point where I legit can't tell if this is praise or mockery.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

edit: not my landlord thank god. found on fb.

The Puppet Master has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Apr 19, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm guessing the IRS website thing has some T&Cs you have to tick affirming that these are your details. But maybe not lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I’m guessing that the landlord broke the law and made sure to get it in writing

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

How can that kind of info be behind just a single number that is not exactly top secret?

Doesn't IRS have some kind of centralized online account for citizens where you authenticate to handle your tax stuff and this would be in there?

Or how do you handle your taxes?

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

lobsterminator posted:

How can that kind of info be behind just a single number that is not exactly top secret?

Doesn't IRS have some kind of centralized online account for citizens where you authenticate to handle your tax stuff and this would be in there?

I'm assuming a lot of rental apps have birthdays and SSNs boxes in them.

But uhhhhhhhh holy poo poo. What a cocksucker.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

Hahhahahahahahaha

Handle your tax stuff online through the IRS? But then how would intuit and others make all their money?

Lots of government websites have relatively low “security”; like when I register to vote I just have to use my drivers license # and some other easy details— no passwords

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jesus, America. At the very least use 2FA if you're gonna be using your SSN for stuff like that.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm guessing the IRS website thing has some T&Cs you have to tick affirming that these are your details. But maybe not lol

It does (there's a box that pops up saying only the taxpayer or an authorized Power of Attorney is legally allowed to access the information, so the landlord is admitting to a Federal crime, which is very smart).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Horseshoe theory posted:

It does (there's a box that pops up saying only the taxpayer or an authorized Power of Attorney is legally allowed to access the information, so the landlord is admitting to a Federal crime, which is very smart).

Admitting to multiple counts as well.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Failed Imagineer posted:

homie broke federal law that’s unauthorized access to taxpayer records which they take v seriously at the IRS. I’m a cpa and have to call fairly often and they do not just let you get access to taxpayer records without a power of attorney.

my man had to click through this:

quote:

Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring, interception, recording, reading, copying or capturing by authorized personnel of all activities. There is no right to privacy in this system. Unauthorized use of this system is prohibited and subject to criminal and civil penalties, including all penalties applicable to willful unauthorized access (UNAX) or inspection of taxpayer records (under 18 U.S.C. 1030 and 26 U.S.C. 7213A and 26 U.S.C. 7431).

OK

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Elman posted:

Jesus, America. At the very least use 2FA if you're gonna be using your SSN for stuff like that.

Most of it doesn't have 1FA. A scam that still exists but has been somewhat mitigated recently is simply filing someone else's tax returns, putting in fake info and receiving a huge refund. There is no authentication of any difficulty to bypass and by the time the real person figures out what happened, you're long gone and they're on the hook for the money stolen. There have been recent mitigations to prevent this but not by default and it's still a problem.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I’m guessing that the landlord broke the law and made sure to get it in writing

Oh yeah, that's several years in prison and/or a few thousand dollars of fines for just accessing this dude alone and if this guy had any professional credentials WRT tax that's those gone for a while, and the IRS has no sense of humor about this kind of thing. Hopefully whoever got accessed narcs on this guy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Complications posted:

Oh yeah, that's several years in prison and/or a few thousand dollars of fines for just accessing this dude alone and if this guy had any professional credentials WRT tax that's those gone for a while, and the IRS has no sense of humor about this kind of thing. Hopefully whoever got accessed narcs on this guy.

Its a shame that threatening to narc on someone is still blackmail, because he's got that guy by the balls

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Complications posted:

good thing the irs has no budget in the best of times and almost certainly even less given the pandemic

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

atelier morgan posted:

good thing the irs has no budget in the best of times and almost certainly even less given the pandemic

Which usually means they'll pursue only the most slam-dunk cases, for example someone dumb enough to confess in writing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Which usually means they'll pursue only the most slam-dunk cases, for example someone dumb enough to confess in writing.

They admitted recently that they don't have money to go after rich people anymore because rich people have lawyers and require complex forensic accounting investigations so they pretty much only go after poor people now since they're easier.

Working as intended.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Most of it doesn't have 1FA. A scam that still exists but has been somewhat mitigated recently is simply filing someone else's tax returns, putting in fake info and receiving a huge refund. There is no authentication of any difficulty to bypass and by the time the real person figures out what happened, you're long gone and they're on the hook for the money stolen. There have been recent mitigations to prevent this but not by default and it's still a problem.

My favorite thing is how you have to enter a Special Magic Number that you come up with yourself to prove your e-file "signature" is yours. The number can be different between years and is not authenticated against anything or checked in any way, it's just "think of a number you like and write it down".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think I heard someone somewhere mention that property is robbery op, should probably check your local laws to make sure

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shame Boy posted:

They admitted recently that they don't have money to go after rich people anymore because rich people have lawyers and require complex forensic accounting investigations so they pretty much only go after poor people now since they're easier.

Working as intended.

They also can't go after huge multinational companies anymore because Congress curtailed their investigative powers after lobbying from Microsoft, a company under investigation.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Working as intended.

Friendly reminder that Charles Rettig was a high-priced tax attorney that represented high net wealth clients and businesses before the IRS, CA FTB, etc. for decades and will inevitably go back to his lucrative private practice after his stint as IRS Commissioner, so he's only doing what he can to protect his money spigot.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Its a shame that threatening to narc on someone is still blackmail, because he's got that guy by the balls

There's weasel words he could use.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/jbrowder1/status/1252007977390764032

Good news, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CruiseLaw/status/1251695151875067905

quote:

Mr. Fain has collected an average of $12,000,000 a year in compensation each year for the last 6 years for a total of approximately $72,000,000. He earned $12,422,715 in 2018, $13,343,413 in 2017, $10,405,684 in 2016, $9,388,569 in 2016 and $12,013,878 in 2015.

In the beginning of April, Mr. Fain announced that he was forgoing six months (through the end of September) of his $1,100,000 base salary which turns out to be around $550,000. This may see like a substantial amount of money, but it is only around 3.5% of his compensation last year. Mr. Fain received around $13,100,000 of his compensation in stock awards, incentive plans compensation, increases in his pension plan and other compensation.

The White House picked CEO Fain to be one of three cruise executives on President Trump’s “Great American Economic Revival” industry group.