Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm trying hard mode and I don't think this was tested at all. The loving dog in chapter 3 one shots tifa with throat chomp, goes super sayian and one shots cloud next and it's like wow thanks for playing this is stupid as gently caress.

You're supposed to interrupt the dog with magic when it does that move

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Johnny is bad but I can't pretend that he, Wedge, and other Naruto style one dimensional characters haven't been a part of Final Fantasy from the beginning.

Did anyone else have issues with Tifa's depiction? I appreciate the angle of conflicted revolutionary who is uncomfortable with violence but I think they went too far with it. She oscillates somewhat between hyper capable and emotionally fragile. Given the events of the remake that kind of makes sense. She went through a lot in a few days. Still, I'll be disappointed if this waffling characterization persists through the sequels.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tifa even in the original game was more emotionally fragile than Aerith, before she got Flanderized by the EU.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Johnny is bad but I can't pretend that he, Wedge, and other Naruto style one dimensional characters haven't been a part of Final Fantasy from the beginning.

Did anyone else have issues with Tifa's depiction? I appreciate the angle of conflicted revolutionary who is uncomfortable with violence but I think they went too far with it. She oscillates somewhat between hyper capable and emotionally fragile. Given the events of the remake that kind of makes sense. She went through a lot in a few days. Still, I'll be disappointed if this waffling characterization persists through the sequels.

I think it works pretty well, personally. I imagine that she'll go through some sort of arc- my understanding is at this point in the original FF7 this is basically where she was too, they just got more chance to show it because this game was 4x the length.

My big issue is actually Barrett. Tons of great stuff with Marlene, interesting dialogue about the meaning of being a revolutionary and the necessity to commit violence, fantastic poo poo... aaaand a lot of the other time he's still a weird blaxsploitation caricature in a way i really hoped would get some updating. v.v It sucks, because a lot of the time he's great.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Agree about Barrett. That dude who calmly explains to Tifa not to blame herself for the actions of their enemies is on point. Even the Barrett that gets bombastic talking about his political mission is great, we've all met (or been) that dude at the bar. Over the top zany/angry Barrett just doesn't quite mesh with the rest of his character.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
?? He's one of the better VAs

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The VA absolutely kills it. The writing is the occasional problem with Barrett.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dMcOghT2nw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barret was 100% awesome through and through in this game. His lines, his characterization, his delivery. Barret is da best.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

I notice that one, too. Squeenix absolutely knew what they were doing with those moves.

Hell, the video even missed one: Rude can also do Triple Geyser.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The thing about Barrett is that he's the most sensitive character in the game. Like the dude is 400 pounds of heart, and literally everything he does is at 120% emotion and earnestness. If they toned him down even slightly it'd be a mistake.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I can see from where people discuss about how Barret talks but on the flipside I've grown up with people who talk like that so it feels weird to label it automatically as 'bad'.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I thought Tifa's depiction was great, being conflicted but going along with it because she wants to feel part of a group and be loyal to her friends is extremely human, closing her ears and going "La la la I can't hearrr youuuu" whenever anything relating to Cloud's delusions comes up because she is desperate to cling onto the one piece of her childhood home that has come back into her life is extremely believable, and her immediate and rapidly strengthening friendship with Aeris was wonderful.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mulva posted:

The thing about Barrett is that he's the most sensitive character in the game. Like the dude is 400 pounds of heart

Now now, we have on good authority that he's actually a 300 pound sack of poo poo

Ms Adequate posted:

and her immediate and rapidly strengthening friendship with Aeris was wonderful.

Yeah this was one of my absolute favorite things about the game, they are both so very good so it stands to reason that they are also good together

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ms Adequate posted:

I thought Tifa's depiction was great, being conflicted but going along with it because she wants to feel part of a group and be loyal to her friends is extremely human, closing her ears and going "La la la I can't hearrr youuuu" whenever anything relating to Cloud's delusions comes up because she is desperate to cling onto the one piece of her childhood home that has come back into her life is extremely believable, and her immediate and rapidly strengthening friendship with Aeris was wonderful.

I really liked the scene with Tifa and Cloud outside Aerith's house, where they actually share an intimate moment before he starts crushing her in a bearhug because he's got some, uh, issues

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Speaking on Barret, I know why Tifa and Aerith never seriously push the Whats Wrong With Cloud button but Barret absolutely should raise the question of why this dude keep having crippling headaches, spacing way the hell out and in the Hojo labs staggered toward the elevator for 30 seconds muttering to himself before face planting.

I think he'll ask Cloud if he's had enough sleep in Aeriths old cell and like nah come on man.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Caidin posted:

Speaking on Barret, I know why Tifa and Aerith never seriously push the Whats Wrong With Cloud button but Barret absolutely should raise the question of why this dude keep having crippling headaches, spacing way the hell out and in the Hojo labs staggered toward the elevator for 30 seconds muttering to himself before face planting.

I think he'll ask Cloud if he's had enough sleep in Aeriths old cell and like nah come on man.

Considering all the crazy poo poo Cloud can do maybe he just thinks it's a SOLDIER thing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Barrett forcing the issue would be a great segue into the Kalm flashback.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How come there’s an Aerith battle in the Shinra simulator if it’s impossible to have her in your party during that chapter?

E: Apparently you need to do it from chapter 17. Huh.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 19, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm trying hard mode and I don't think this was tested at all. The loving dog in chapter 3 one shots tifa with throat chomp, goes super sayian and one shots cloud next and it's like wow thanks for playing this is stupid as gently caress.

Status effects make that fight trivial. Hard is about working out the puzzle and then executing. Even more so than normal. Normal lets you get away with more on the execution side, hard forces you to get further into the puzzle side. At least that's how I'm finding it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

How come there’s an Aerith battle in the Shinra simulator if it’s impossible to have her in your party during that chapter?

I think in chapter 17 Hardmode Chadly will get your attention and directly to a Shinra VR room that wasn't there before.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I really liked the scene with Tifa and Cloud outside Aerith's house, where they actually share an intimate moment before he starts crushing her in a bearhug because he's got some, uh, issues

Yeah I loved that scene, both for showing how much losing the bar and Sector 7 hurt Tifa ("They took everything from us, again" hurt my heart) and because Cloud not knowing how to comfort her except "Uhhhh hug tighter?" is very on point

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caidin posted:

I think in chapter 17 Hardmode Chadly will get your attention and directly to a Shinra VR room that wasn't there before.

poo poo, does it have to be hard mode?

Edit: nope!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

poo poo, does it have to be hard mode?

Uh... In retrospect I don't actually know. I guess it could just be on a replay.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

and her immediate and rapidly strengthening friendship with Aeris was wonderful.

See I really liked this part too and it makes it even odder the old FFVII shipping contingent has crawled out the woodwork to write essays on how the two secretly hate each other or how the other one is actually an awful person. It's so loving weird. I seriously don't understand how they can so worked up about this poo poo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tifa and Aerith are straight up Giggly Girls with each other from their first scene

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Tifa and Aerith are straight up Giggly Girls with each other from their first scene

I know right!? They don't have an ounce of animosity between them and they're both lovely people. Imagine dedicating half your day to writing a forty page argument on how one or the other was actually the original intended love interest and the other is a fraud and or a ho.

The reason I'm being vague here is the same argument crops up on both sides incessantly and I'm just baffled. Of all the things to be upset about in this game.....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caidin posted:

Uh... In retrospect I don't actually know. I guess it could just be on a replay.

I was wrong, it’s hard mode only. Sort of. The advanced missions are difficulty-locked, but the rest is fine.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Flopsy posted:

I know right!? They don't have an ounce of animosity between them and they're both lovely people. Imagine dedicating half your day to writing a forty page argument on how one or the other was actually the original intended love interest and the other is a fraud and or a ho.

The reason I'm being vague here is the same argument crops up on both sides incessantly and I'm just baffled. Of all the things to be upset about in this game.....

I mean, let's be honest. A lot of peoples perception of Final Fantasy VII is taken from the lens of other peoples experience.

It's why I find it funny whenever I see somebody say that they think the characters are changed from the original or surprised that Aerith is so spunky and Tifa is a ball of insecurity at times. That was always there. But with the presentation turned up to 15 and everything being voiced it's just *more*.

Pollyanna posted:

I was wrong, it’s hard mode only. Sort of. The advanced missions are difficulty-locked, but the rest is fine.

At least only the difficulty you select in the Simulator matters. You can be playing it on easy and still be able to do the mission.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also this game really needs a scene select within the chapter select because I don’t wanna have to go through 70% of Wall Market to get Aerith’s L2 limit break :gonk:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zaa Boogie posted:

I mean, let's be honest. A lot of peoples perception of Final Fantasy VII is taken from the lens of other peoples experience.

It's why I find it funny whenever I see somebody say that they think the characters are changed from the original or surprised that Aerith is so spunky and Tifa is a ball of insecurity at times. That was always there. But with the presentation turned up to 15 and everything being voiced it's just *more*.

At least only the difficulty you select in the Simulator matters. You can be playing it on easy and still be able to do the mission.

I feel like it's more that they crave a particular kind of conflict and when none is presented they have to stretch the limits of their imaginations to justify it's "presence".

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Flopsy posted:

I feel like it's more that they crave a particular kind of conflict and when none is presented they have to stretch the limits of their imaginations to justify it's "presence".

That's also part of it!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Aerith has always been the original manic pixie dream girl.
Tifa was always stock anime childhood friend who grows up to be be super hot and thirsty for the main character.

They are better fleshed out in FF7R for sure.

My problem with Barrett is that he rapidly goes from original FF7 "literally Mr T" to an actual character. Sometimes in the same scene. I can't tell if it's bad writing or they've just never actually interacted with actual African Americans.

I don't really see Tifa as emotionally fragile though. Because she breaks down for a bit after seeing her friends killed and home crushed?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i didnt mind the mr. t stuff with barret as much as maybe i should have because it always came across as him putting on a character to keep up morale for the rest of the group. i thought he was genuine often enough that i didn't feel any ill intent from the writing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The VA absolutely kills it. The writing is the occasional problem with Barrett.

Barret screaming "I'm here to take the load off your shoulders!!!!" at the train station made me love him. He's the heart and soul.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spite posted:

actual African Americans.

He's a cartoon character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't think of a single one of Barret's lines in the remake where he didn't kill it. That little pause before he says "Up Your rear end" at Shinra HQ had me dying.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Spite posted:

Aerith has always been the original manic pixie dream girl.
Tifa was always stock anime childhood friend who grows up to be be super hot and thirsty for the main character.

They are better fleshed out in FF7R for sure.

My problem with Barrett is that he rapidly goes from original FF7 "literally Mr T" to an actual character. Sometimes in the same scene. I can't tell if it's bad writing or they've just never actually interacted with actual African Americans.

I don't really see Tifa as emotionally fragile though. Because she breaks down for a bit after seeing her friends killed and home crushed?

I feel like Barret would be more offensive if he wasn't so drat earnest and lovable. Yeah he's a blaxploitation character with a gun arm. He's also obviously a loyal friend who cares deeply for everyone around him and an extremely loving doting father. All the characters have what could considered a bit of two dimensional-ness to them but the writing is good enough to pull them off.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The scene after the plate collapse where he more or less tells Cloud "I'm asking very nicely that you lie to me and say things are okay" was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

JBP posted:

Barret screaming "I'm here to take the load off your shoulders!!!!" at the train station made me love him. He's the heart and soul.

things like this and the song he sings when you sidetrack to get the Chocobo summon are why I love him