Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

they've decided to let our rotations start back on 5/4, as long as we're in an office setting and not one of the major hospitals.

the big hospital group in tennessee is still not accepting students, so lmao half of my class is going to have to do rotations into 2021.

in the meantime im supposed to keep a daily temperature log. uh okay sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They all said I was "crazy" and "abhorrent" for saying in 2016 that we needed to put Trump supporters in camps. WELL WHO'S CRAZY AND ABHORRENT NOW, HUH?!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shipon posted:

living in san diego, i wish AC was considered a "birthright", i haven't lived in a place that had AC in probably 8 years and in august-october it sucks every time

I mean at least San Diego gets a sea breeze, but in big parts of the country people don't really stay outside. I mean Atlanta/Houston/Phoenix, hell even Chicago, AC is practically a requirement. It is also why there is so much to fear because it is going to be near impossible to turn it down in public spaces because no one will go into them otherwise.

It is also why the summer peak may be even bigger than the initial outbreak if a bunch of states refuse to lock-down again.

-----------------

The US is actually making some progress but it only takes 1-2 weeks of relaxing a lockdown to re-accelerate it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

i cant copy links apparently

RealityWarCriminal has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Apr 19, 2020

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

That's cool, we're basically doing the opposite.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

FizFashizzle posted:

they've decided to let our rotations start back on 5/4, as long as we're in an office setting and not one of the major hospitals.

the big hospital group in tennessee is still not accepting students, so lmao half of my class is going to have to do rotations into 2021.

in the meantime im supposed to keep a daily temperature log. uh okay sure.

I like how temperature taking is still the bar for when you shouldn't come in given everything we know about asymptomatic carriers and most infections happening before symptoms start lol

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

slippery doc posted:

olympia having a normal one

also lmao what is with these names:

CULP!

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1251963394279608321?s=20

I'm sorry what

can someone explain this one to me or am I better off not knowing?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BeefThief posted:

Is there any reason why fewer than the originally predicted 2M would die, even if it just takes a little bit longer?

Flattening the curve lets us bury the bodies before they pile up in the streets but without a vaccine or effective treatment the only thing that can eradicate the virus is continuous strict lockdown and thats about to be declared a bad idea

Even among goons that are watching this poo poo 24/7 it seems like there is an inability to properly digest the full scope.

When we are talking the 100,000 - 240,000 white house projections, or the revised 60,000 or whatever people are just acting like this is magically going to go away after we "beat" it. Like a video game boss and we can all sit around calculating the damage we will suffer in the fight before it's over.

I don't think people are truly grasping that we will be fighting this this time next year and that the current numbers, if they were even remotely accurate, don't really mean a lot. We may be looking at 100,000 - 200,000 total US fatalities in the next 3-4 months but eventually the economic impacts are going to cause states to just not give a gently caress and cancel all quarantines. States are already trying to do this when we haven't even hit the peak of our garbage numbers that probably aren't catching half the fatalities.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/raleighpolice/status/1250111779574894594

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

eric ciaramella posted:

hard to predict anything for the US until we see how disastrous reopening turns out to be.

Hard to predict anything for any country until we know whether or not infection confers immunity and for how long.

The plan for many countries was to rely on herd immunity and to control the rate of infection until that was achieved. If herd immunity is no longer a realistic goal, then we're relying on social control and finding better treatments to keep the numbers down until a vaccine is developed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gio posted:

i would seriously disown my family if this was them.

I already disowned my dad and haven't spoken to him in 15 years. Sometimes he just sends me weird poo poo and I never reply. The rest of that chatlog is wild.

I'm about to disown my sister.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
Why do I feel like a lot of my extended family is ignoring everything going on

:psyduck: am I the crazy one?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Google Butt posted:

I like how temperature taking is still the bar for when you shouldn't come in given everything we know about asymptomatic carriers and most infections happening before symptoms start lol

Also if you dealt it and can't smelt it you might have the roni.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Alpha Centauri posted:

yes because nothing matters

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

no, but if you really want to freak them out, calmly ask them if they've completed their wills and any end of live directives

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I enjoy the lock-down. I am going to miss it when it ends.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
unemployment is going to break 20% this week, right?

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i wanna watch lego masters from australia and uk

s01 AU in the queue for tonight
s02 AU new eps as they air

sync is on & i encourage viewers to dl their faves

small disks means we move fast but thats the price of load-balanced highly-available 11 9;s pirate radio

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Even among goons that are watching this poo poo 24/7 it seems like there is an inability to properly digest the full scope.

When we are talking the 100,000 - 240,000 white house projections, or the revised 60,000 or whatever people are just acting like this is magically going to go away after we "beat" it. Like a video game boss and we can all sit around calculating the damage we will suffer in the fight before it's over.

I don't think people are truly grasping that we will be fighting this this time next year and that the current numbers, if they were even remotely accurate, don't really mean a lot. We may be looking at 100,000 - 200,000 total US fatalities in the next 3-4 months but eventually the economic impacts are going to cause states to just not give a gently caress and cancel all quarantines. States are already trying to do this when we haven't even hit the peak of our garbage numbers that probably aren't catching half the fatalities.

The only way to really beat it is near-universal testing, near complete lockdowns, as well as controlling issues like AC. None of that is going to happen in the US, and so we are going to be stuck in constant "peaks" and vallies as some control measures show moderate effectiveness and all that work is completely poo poo down the toliet in a week.

As for the "end total", who knows but I see us still killing 2-3k of people a day for months on end, so 200k+ is at least possible.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1251963394279608321?s=20

I'm sorry what

can someone explain this one to me or am I better off not knowing?
they use 'boogaloo' as a codeword for the upcoming civil/race war that they all crave, boogaloo = big luau = wear hawaian shirts hahaha

it's the same great minds who brought us this:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

The only way to really beat it is near-universal testing, near complete lockdowns, as well as controlling issues like AC. None of that is going to happen in the US, and so we are going to be stuck in constant "peaks" and vallies as some control measures show moderate effectiveness and all that work is completely poo poo down the toliet in a week.

As for the "end total", who knows but I see us still killing 2-3k of people a day for months on end, so 200k+ is at least possible.

Also the US is overrun with Chuds who follow Trump's tweets and believe following things like social distancing is submitting to tyranny.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Tei posted:

I enjoy the lock-down. I am going to miss it when it ends.

if it ends, you'll probably get a good encore on it once it turns out that doing so is a really bad idea

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

unemployment is going to break 20% this week, right?

Yeah, probably since last week's numbers were probably under-reported because of Easter.

etalian posted:

Also the US is overrun with Chuds who follow Trump's tweets and believe following things like social distancing is submitting to tyranny.

Yeah, the infection has a lot of political support. Basically, there is going to be little reason to celebrate for months to come most likely, except that there may be some beans on sale between the two waves...time to stock up.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Apr 19, 2020

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

we will easily hit 100k, probably 200k, and likely more since its pretty obvious that most americans will likely refuse to wear a mask in public and will brazenly and proudly break social distancing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bolsonaro re-infected with the 'vid

https://twitter.com/apagliar/status/1251924214115979264

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ardennes posted:

We will probably still decline for another week or so, and then it will "mysteriously" start increasing again. However, a combination of looser controls, boredom, and I would say more importantly water droplets blown around by AC is going to very likely to cause a second wave in May/June. They have already shown how water droplets can travel in a bus. Now think about a bar/restaurant with the AC maxed... people across the place are going to be constantly sprayed with droplets. Also, in the US, AC is considering a birthright and it will be considered "tyranny" if anyone turns the fan setting down. (Also, I lived in DC, I know everyone puts their AC on the highest setting in order to feel even moderately comfortable.)

Social distancing/lockdowns work, but do slow the spread of the disease but as public places open up and the AC gets cranked (especially in the south/mid-atlantic) it is going to create the perfect storm. Also, it is going to be even more difficult to put lockdowns in place because it is a "political issue" and a lot of retail outlets know that they probably won't survive another lockdown (if they survive this one). There very well may be another fall wave as well, but the waves in 1918 were from a different type of virus and existed in a world where AC didn't exist yet.

Also, it is very important for people in risk groups not to celebrate yet because they probably still have months of quarantine to go through.

possible, yeah. guess we will find out lol.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

lol mr I can’t get it because I’m a fit military man sporting a gut that puts mine to shame

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol mr I can’t get it because I’m a fit military man sporting a gut that puts mine to shame

Maybe switch huge gross burritos for cute little empanadas.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Elephanthead posted:

Maybe switch huge gross burritos for cute little empanadas.

no.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
we'll all be eating enfrijoladas soon enough

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Ardennes posted:

We will probably still decline for another week or so,

america has never declined in new cases or deaths. we set the death record on friday. new cases are stagnant at ~30k per day because testing is stagnant.

where the gently caress are people getting the idea that deaths and new cases are declining??

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not white, not over 50 and not Hawaiian but I'm gonna keep wearing Hawaiian shirts cuz they're fun

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

friendly 2 da void posted:

america has never declined in new cases or deaths. we set the death record on friday. new cases are stagnant at ~30k per day because testing is stagnant.

where the gently caress are people getting the idea that deaths and new cases are declining??

tv said so

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ardennes posted:

We will probably still decline for another week or so

We occasionally see a day under 30k new cases but we haven't seen a significant decline that lines up with stage 1 nationally and I dunno if we will before every idiot starts throwing open the doors and screaming for the first time in forever

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

past the peak baby!!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

wear a mask? I am an american! how am i suppose to suck dick?

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Ardennes posted:

The US is actually making some progress but it only takes 1-2 weeks of relaxing a lockdown to re-accelerate it.

no we aren't lmao

whatever we're doing, it's not enough to slow down the rate of new cases

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The TV says we're passed the peak and life goes back to normal on May 1st

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

people are extrapolating nyc to the rest of the country is the only thing i can surmise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Is there any state or city level guidance on the US that indicates that the reproductive rate is less than 1? I'm skeptical that anywhere here is actually meaningfully suppressing cases.