Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The zombie retailers are dead for sure but it’s going to be wild because this is going to out a lot more companies than those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
There's like no way that malls don't totally go under after this. And the few companies that own and operate them. And then the companies which service them suffer and something has to be done with those commercial spaces. Hopefully, cities will just exercise eminent domain and turn them into giant farmers markets and community clinics and stuff, one-stop shopping for things people actually need and should be provided by a government.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wouldn't count on the government to do anything that would benefit people these days.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

There's like no way that malls don't totally go under after this. And the few companies that own and operate them. And then the companies which service them suffer and something has to be done with those commercial spaces. Hopefully, cities will just exercise eminent domain and turn them into giant farmers markets and community clinics and stuff, one-stop shopping for things people actually need and should be provided by a government.

Turn that land into apartments / housing with mixed retail / shops / restaurants

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Turn that land into apartments / housing with mixed retail / shops / restaurants

The original creator of the shopping mall envisioned them as being a "Main Street for isolated suburban communities" so returning back to their original intention would be pretty dope.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is what's planned to be done with my local mall even before coronavirus happened, and honestly it sounds awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This comes up all the time and it's pretty clear that it would be cheaper to knock them down and start over than to convert to housing for so many reasons, not the least of which are concerns like plumbing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

This comes up all the time and it's pretty clear that it would be cheaper to knock them down and start over than to convert to housing for so many reasons, not the least of which are concerns like plumbing.

in practice often the mall structure itself is repurposed into some kind of civic use. the real traction comes when you dig up the whole sea of parking lots around the mall and build on that land

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

luxury handset posted:

in practice often the mall structure itself is repurposed into some kind of civic use. the real traction comes when you dig up the whole sea of parking lots around the mall and build on that land

The extremely centrally located mall in my city would be a perfect location for the county to relocate a lot of their various agencies to from their current scattered approach and would open up a lot of land for other development. I get the appeal of thinking about apartments but when I think of malls I don't think of something efficiently laid out for residential use given the seeming tendency for malls to have a sort of "bendy" interior and a lot of open areas (which could be easily repurposed into conference rooms/meeting areas for gov business).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, some kind of combined open office/conference use is ideal, with minimal subdivision of interiors

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Motronic posted:

I mean, thats what I advocate for. Knock down the structure and rebuild into mixed use housing/retail/restaurant/community space. Its a much better use of the land, provides much needed housing, and can provide community resources (libraries or maybe civic centers).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I mean, thats what I advocate for. Knock down the structure and rebuild into mixed use housing/retail/restaurant/community space. Its a much better use of the land, provides much needed housing, and can provide community resources (libraries or maybe civic centers).

The land would have to be exceptionally valuable for that - and for most shopping malls that simply not the case. Demo of a structure like that is monumentally expensive.

It's cheaper to leave it and use the parking lot areas for redevelopment. Perhaps if that redevelopment is successful it will justify demo of the mall itself eventually.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
knocking down the structure has a cost, often insurmountable. adaptive reuse is better in every case

one of the reason there are so many dead malls sitting around not being reused is because it can cost millions of dollars to demolish the current structure and clear the site before you can even begin construction. malls also tend to exist in suburban contexts where there's still plenty of available open land for whatever project you do want to build, and these projects tend to be smaller scale then the large redevelopment inherent in rehabbing an entire enclosed mall complex

one notorious example of a totally abandoned dead mall is rolling acres, outside of akron ohio. it looks like recently it was purchased and demolished to make way for an amazon distribution center, and that was with the city using tax district diversion to sweeten the pot and reimburse the cost of land purchase/demolition

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 16, 2020

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
All of the social service agencies in Oakland have their offices in a derelict shopping mall. It's pretty great. When I was a care worker, I'd go in and handle my client's paperwork and appointments for foodstamps, Medi-Cal, in-home care, etc. all in one go.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1251824300744728577?s=21

Here we go goons. The first to fall.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Come onnn Gamestop! I feel lucky!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Come onnn Gamestop! I feel lucky!

You think they'll file before J.C. Penney, given their recent interest payment skipping (currently in 30 day grace period before they're in default)? :thunk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Isn't Neimann Marcus an overpriced luxury goods seller? Like Sears for people with too much money?

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't Neimann Marcus an overpriced luxury goods seller? Like Sears for people with too much money?

Yes, but not actual luxury goods for the real rich. It’s the awkward in between.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A store exclusively for a rapidly shrinking middle class

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

You think they'll file before J.C. Penney, given their recent interest payment skipping (currently in 30 day grace period before they're in default)? :thunk:

To be honest I expect the console launch to extend their lifespan another handful of years, but if there's a second Covid wave after q4, they're done. Only the Canadian ones will survive without some insane investor willing to try turning them around.

It's already been claimed they don't have the liquidity to reopen any stores they have to close.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 19, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There are rumors about Sony going for a limited launch this fall, can't be great news for Gamestop. Maybe they can get Funco to release some exclusive Pops.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 20, 2020

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Aren't all of the big console and game companies basically trying to cut out GameStop as being the middleman?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There is like zero chance the console launch doesn't get pushed. Like even if the hardware is physically done every game is going to miss it's launch, even work from home it's not like a bunch of developers are going to be using devkits in their bedroom to make a next gen game. Like just not launching this year would be infinitely better than launching and saying "we have one game out, it's broken and unfinished, no other games are coming for 6 months" and even if everything opens tomorrow everything will still be behind.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

Aren't all of the big console and game companies basically trying to cut out GameStop as being the middleman?

The resale market has essentially been destroyed with the rise of digital downloads so yeah.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The commercial resale market has essentially been destroyed with the rise of digital downloads so yeah.

fixed. Kijiji/craiglist is still strong

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

fixed. Kijiji/craiglist is still strong

No, I mean the entire resale market. Are people still buying physical media as much these days? Can you even buy these massive games on disc or do they just come with download codes in the box? The boxed PC game market is gone now and it’s a matter of time before consoles follow suite.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

FCKGW posted:

No, I mean the entire resale market. Are people still buying physical media as much these days? Can you even buy these massive games on disc or do they just come with download codes in the box? The boxed PC game market is gone now and it’s a matter of time before consoles follow suite.

Pretty sure the last actual boxed copy of a game I bought was Witcher 3; it even came with some nice feelies even though it wasn't a full-on collectors edition.

I say actual boxed copy because I'm pretty sure that one came with a disk. I made a point of buying the "physical" copy of every WoW expansion up till BfA even though they stopped including disks a long time ago. I have them all lined up in a neat little row on my shelf, its a technicolor monument to all the good I could have done if I didn't waste half my life playing video games.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Last boxed game I bought was the orange box. I picked up Dues Ex Invisible War the same trip. I regret one of those.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lot of console games go cheap with physical copies.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I mean, I buy physical media in the form of console games and DVDs/BDs (and a lot of it used to save on money) but I'm pretty aware I'm like... the opposite of a typical consumer. I just had a few bad experiences with digital media being pulled or otherwise losing access to it combined with liking hunting down cheap used copies when I can mostly on eBay anymore (since I've sworn off Amazon for this both because screw Amazon and due to getting so many scratched discs and a few bootlegs. Seriously I have less bootleg problems on eBay.)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

A store exclusively for a rapidly shrinking middle class

I don't think that's accurate, my impression of Nieman Marcus is that it's for lower upper class or maybe upper upper middle class. Above Nordstrom and other equivalent stores and where the shopping experience would start to get a little unusual.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Zachack posted:

I don't think that's accurate, my impression of Nieman Marcus is that it's for lower upper class or maybe upper upper middle class. Above Nordstrom and other equivalent stores and where the shopping experience would start to get a little unusual.

This is pretty accurate, actually.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

I buy all console games on disc and resell them through a local platform (so a person-to-person transaction, no middleman taking a cut) after I'm done. That way, even brand new releases are pretty cheap.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is like zero chance the console launch doesn't get pushed. Like even if the hardware is physically done every game is going to miss it's launch, even work from home it's not like a bunch of developers are going to be using devkits in their bedroom to make a next gen game. Like just not launching this year would be infinitely better than launching and saying "we have one game out, it's broken and unfinished, no other games are coming for 6 months" and even if everything opens tomorrow everything will still be behind.

Developers absolutely are working from home, and it's working out pretty well. But some tasks are harder to do from home, like recording voice lines or motion capturing. There's also the issue of console certification either being fully shut down or being pretty backlogged, depending on the region.

With consoles, there's also the issue of components getting more expensive at the moment, which would force Sony/MS to either launch at a higher price point or a bigger loss.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zachack posted:

Yes and no.

Regular shoppers at high-end stores (including both Nordstrom and Nieman Marcus - think any place with Gucci and Versace displays here) tend to be fairly wealthy; at the low end, they're in the top 1% "successful doctor or lawyer" bracket and go up from there. The store definitely wants you to think that this is their main customer base.

But, there used to be a whole other category of customers at high-end stores: people with more ordinary middle-class incomes who would come in once every few years for some special occasion. They weren't rich, but could and did occasionally step into rich spaces. Individually, they weren't a huge source of revenue - but as a group, there were lots of them, and they tended to buy lower-cost, higher-volume, high-margin items. This is the group that can't afford to shop at high-end retailers any more.

The rich to ultra-wealthy regulars are still around and spending money, but they're not being subsidized by a large group of middle class occasional shoppers. Without them, the stores can't survive.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As far as video games go, I definitely think we will start to see things being offered digitally as the preferred method, with special editions being all that remains as far as physical products. Obviously, Sony and Microsoft would love to cut out middle men like Gamestop so they won't really want to save them.

As long as Amazon and big box stores carry the console, the game industry would adjust to no/less physical copies drat quick. Everyone being stuck at home buying digitally now is just the shove into the abyss that has been coming for a long time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mister Facetious posted:

It's already been claimed they don't have the liquidity to reopen any stores they have to close.

Pretty sure every chain is going to claim that so they can shutter under performing stores.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Note that games are pretty big to download online and a lot of the world, including large parts of America, has crap internet, so there's still a place for physical retail for places where downloading stuff all the time is impractical. And some parents might still buy physical for their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Note that games are pretty big to download online and a lot of the world, including large parts of America, has crap internet, so there's still a place for physical retail for places where downloading stuff all the time is impractical. And some parents might still buy physical for their kids.

yeah, sony says 2019 was the first year digital was bigger than physical, which both means that digital is winning, but also means that almost half of games are still bought physically and it's still a huge part of the market.