Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

friendly 2 da void posted:

it's insane how good trump/gop is at framing the narrative

he says you can't buy seeds and paint

so chuds argue that you should be able to buy seeds and paint, non-chuds argue that not buying seeds is good for public health

but you CAN buy seeds and paint. you never couldn't. shops that sell seeds and paint are open nationwide.

what the gently caress is wrong with this country

but the liberals will get mad at me if i do, and i want to own the libs in a way that doesn't make them mad at me, personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

friendly 2 da void posted:

but you CAN buy seeds and paint. you never couldn't. shops that sell seeds and paint are open nationwide.

what the gently caress is wrong with this country

that's what I've been saying. What's wrong is that people are loving idiots. No one is stopping you from buying "seeds and paint" anywhere in this loving country, even in Michigan.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

Im just busting to seed broheim

vast inequality laid bare by this virus

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChipNDip posted:

No, quite the opposite. I think you're hysterical if you think the lockdown should last for months. The fact that you think asymptomatic carrriers are higher than 50% AND you think a lockdown should last for several months is aboslutely sociopathic.

ChipNDip posted:

If 50+% are asymptomatic, that implies that the CFR is far, far lower than estimated and that we don't all need to be Wall-E pod people indefinitely.

Loosening restrictions doesn't mean cruise ships and sports stadiums. How the gently caress can you justify no one buying seeds or paint or visiting their friends for 2-3+ years over something that has a CFR well under 1% (which if 50+% are asymptomatic is the case)? That's sociopathic.

how the gently caress is that sociopathic

do you know what sociopathic means

if there's a high asymptomatic carrier rate that makes it even more important to lock down until the virus burns out otherwise it'll continue indefinitely

how is this not immediately apparent to you

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
OPEN IT UP!!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

apatheticman posted:

OPEN IT UP!!!!

lol.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

coke posted:

yeah someone here mentioned earlier that we've already lost to the chuds as soon as they are reporting things as "reopen the economy" instead of "interfering with quarantine"

"reopen the economy" is so infantile that i have to prevent myself from going "goo goo ga ga" every time i read it

and yet its the top headline and prime unit of discourse for every newspaper in the country

does anyone in taiwan want a house slave? i'm volunteering. i'll do butt stuff idfc anymore.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ChipNDip posted:

Nobody in this thread is arguing for 2 weeks besides me. They are arguing for indefinite restrictions lmao

ive never seen anyone argue for indefinite restrictions. even if theres never a vaccine discovered it WILL eventually infect enough people to slow down via herd immunity.

id say the absolute worst case is that no treatment or vaccine is discovered and it continues to not be contained through teh summer, and there is a large surge in fall/winter. but that would probably infect enough people to slow down enough that most daily life could go on after that, maybe still wearing masks for another year or so and some relatively minor restrictions.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

how does this short cronenberg film become increasingly relevant

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr2oej

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

with SeeDs banned, witches have finally returned to their natural habitat. nature has begun to heal

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
startup idea: hire a bunch of lawyers to reclassify stuff (eg watermelons, cars) as seeds and corner the market

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

lol yeah the person who is crying about seeds and paint and eating cruel democrats gruel definitely isn't having a little baby tantrum in isolation.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

where do i get my gruel, im missing out

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ive never seen anyone argue for indefinite restrictions. even if theres never a vaccine discovered it WILL eventually infect enough people to slow down via herd immunity.

id say the absolute worst case is that no treatment or vaccine is discovered and it continues to not be contained through teh summer, and there is a large surge in fall/winter. but that would probably infect enough people to slow down enough that most daily life could go on after that, maybe still wearing masks for another year or so and some relatively minor restrictions.
You need like 70% of the population to have immunity to get herd immunity. If people's immunity doesn't last until that point it might never end until we get a vaccine.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

are seeds and paint this thread's new beans

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

SKULL.GIF posted:

how the gently caress is that sociopathic

do you know what sociopathic means

if there's a high asymptomatic carrier rate that makes it even more important to lock down until the virus burns out otherwise it'll continue indefinitely

how is this not immediately apparent to you

Telling people that they can't participate in basic social life is cruel and insane, how do you not understand this?

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Shovelbum has been saying it for weeks, there are plenty of others ITT clamoring for it.

I'm arguing that people can have a loving drink at their friends house in a gathering of 5-6 people who don't ~live in the same household~ sometime in the next month without people throwing a poo poo fit, not that we can open the bars or send everyone back to work for fucks sake.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6mtQeJaTUI

mystes
May 31, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Germs, beans, and seeds

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Minnesota

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's our new 30-50 wild hogs

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyway if immunity is time limited and testing is flawed then we have to lockdown until either vaccine or improved testing to prevent an endemic which basically ends America and Europe

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

this answers the question no one needed the answer to re: whether or not a socially isolated chud makes a sound in their house if nobody is around to hear it

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

im throwing a poo poo fit rn,, online

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChipNDip posted:

Telling people that they can't participate in basic social life is cruel and insane, how do you not understand this?

pretty good argument for the abolition of incarceration tbqh

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ChipNDip posted:

^^^^

Indie coffee shops are still open, like all other restaurants. This "crisis" is acutally a huge boom for capitalists because alienated, scared people spend lots of money. But smug shut-ins ITT think that they have some sort of victory.

How many dead are acceptable? Why can't you answer this?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

^^^^

Indie coffee shops are still open, like all other restaurants. This "crisis" is acutally a huge boom for capitalists because alienated, scared people spend lots of money. But smug shut-ins ITT think that they have some sort of victory.

And that's not a state that is prompting CHUD protests, hth.

The stay in place order is the only thing stopping a bunch of low paid ununionized working class pol from being infected by being forced to work.

They should be compensated with a high UBI and free food and shelter, but thats diff from what youre proposing, ignoring the germ theory of disease?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ChipNDip posted:

Shovelbum has been saying it for weeks, there are plenty of others ITT clamoring for it.

I'm arguing that people can have a loving drink at their friends house in a gathering of 5-6 people who don't ~live in the same household~ sometime in the next month without people throwing a poo poo fit, not that we can open the bars or send everyone back to work for fucks sake.

Nobody is stopping anyone from doing any of this, lmao. You're so loving dumb. Even if it was some kind of rule, which it's not, it's not remotely enforced.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

hellban chipndip together with shovelbum (sorry) so they're the only ones that can see each other's posts and can continue to freak the gently caress out egging each other on with diametric opposite reactions to stuff

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

only cooking gruel to own the libs

I cooked bbq chicken tonight.

I could buy seeds too, because they have a burpee kiosk at the local grocery store.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChipNDip posted:

It's not cruel and insane compared to a society with an endemic plague that completely collapses the entire idea of healthcare for the foreseeable future - even at a 15% CFR, no herd immunity, and probably most importantly EVERY OTHER CONDITION'S CFR going to hospitalization rate we're turbo hosed. We need to at least stay locked down (more extensively than present levels) until we understand the nature of the virus and immunity better.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

apatheticman posted:

OPEN IT UP!!!!

Arctic stronghold of world’s seeds flooded after permafrost melts - No seeds were lost but the ability of the rock vault to provide failsafe protection against all disasters is now threatened by climate change

lol

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

WarEternal posted:

Nobody is stopping anyone from doing any of this, lmao. You're so loving dumb. Even if it was some kind of rule, which it's not, it's not remotely enforced.

but the libs will get mad at me :ohdear:

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
I'll ask again because nobody ITT seems to have a real answer (other than "indefinitely" with Sheng claims nobody is saying). When, in terms of virus spread or an actual date estimate, do you think it will be OK for people to:

- Buy "non-essential" items at stores? This includes items like paint, seeds, furniture, etc. that the dumb CHUDs protested about

- Visit friends who aren't in their ~household~? In groups of 5? 10? 15?

- Do any sort of "normal" activity with precautions like masks and 6-ft distancing?

This is all I have ever argued about and asked about ITT.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Innocuous posted:

hellban chipndip together with shovelbum (sorry) so they're the only ones that can see each other's posts and can continue to freak the gently caress out egging each other on with diametric opposite reactions to stuff

I'm not really freaking out I'm just saying we could ruin the USA in a bad way that fucks over the workers long term if we reopen without understanding the nature of the disease

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol who is this absolute idiot

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Atoramos posted:

Arctic stronghold of world’s seeds flooded after permafrost melts - No seeds were lost but the ability of the rock vault to provide failsafe protection against all disasters is now threatened by climate change

lol

Aw beans

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

WarEternal posted:

Yes, they are. How many of you ITT have visited anyone outside of your household in the past month? How long are you prepared to have zero in-person social interaction with anyone you don't currently live with? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years?

People are flipping out about people going to the loving park or visiting friends 1-on-1. How long is it going to be wrongthink to do that?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChipNDip posted:

I'll ask again because nobody ITT seems to have a real answer (other than "indefinitely" with Sheng claims nobody is saying). When, in terms of virus spread or an actual date estimate, do you think it will be OK for people to:

- Buy "non-essential" items at stores? This includes items like paint, seeds, furniture, etc. that the dumb CHUDs protested about

- Visit friends who aren't in their ~household~? In groups of 5? 10? 15?

- Do any sort of "normal" activity with precautions like masks and 6-ft distancing?

This is all I have ever argued about and asked about ITT.

Non essential items at stores are available now and the rest hinges on what we learn about the disease. We have to assume the worst case until we know wtf which is not a call to eternal lockdown so much as it is a call to mass test

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TenementFunster posted:

lol who is this absolute idiot

the president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

ChipNDip posted:

Shovelbum has been saying it for weeks, there are plenty of others clamoring for it.

I'm giving you explicit permission to go hang out at your friend's house. Go ahead.

Strangely, I don't think you have friends that want to see you or hear from you so you're raging at strangers on the internet because that's the only social interaction you have.

Go on. Get out there. Stop being such a whiny baby that some stranger might disapprove of your actions, unless strangers are the only people you interact with.