Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i cast a typhoon once in limited and it’s even more of a game breaking bomb when you cast it than when you cycle it. at the moment I cast it I still had three blood curdle and a capture sphere remaining plus some other stuff and it just crushed my opponent.

also voracious greatshark feels incredibly good to cast. GET SHARKED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Just put 3 copies into Temur Adventures and go get Jace from your wishboard when you start going off, it’s working very well for me.

edit: forget it, this is not the right time to play ANY combo deck, I just queued into esper control, jeskai control, jeskai control, jeskai control, dimir flash, simic flash, dimir flash.

those cowards won't make song of creation viable until 6 months before it rotates. I hate that if I want to play combo I eitehr have to play broken garbage that either gets banned or hated out of existance, or tier 5 jank that works once every 1000 games. This is why standard sucks

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 19, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mox Hombre posted:

probably the latter, since those decks have kind of fallen off competitively i think. modern is cool, the best deck is a control deck, then the top 10 decks are a couple of midrange decks, dredge, tron, burn, humans and maybe even niv to light. the games are usually pretty long and have a lot of interaction.

It could well be. I play a tokens toolbox deck and I struggle to deal with ballista + heliod, viscera + vizier + finks, devoted/vizier in general, collecteds, eos to search, witness etc. which leave me hanging on and hoping he doesn't draw another potential game ender. I'm probably biased because the devoted guy tends to win most of our tournaments.

Modern is definitely in a fun place though, I can deal with tron/devoted being crap hang-on matchups because the rest tend to be really fun back and forths.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Ikoria sure seems strong, basically no cards in my decks are throne anymore. If nothing in my deck has mutate or cycle I think something's wrong. Plus how easy it is to run tri colour now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Moose posted:

I hate that if I want to play combo I eitehr have to play broken garbage that either gets banned or hated out of existance, or tier 5 jank that works once every 1000 games. This is why standard sucks

What is a fair combo deck? What does that look like?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Khans standard jeskai ascendency?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
twin

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This

Temur rec was almost one. If Gyruda was affected by graveyard hate it'd be plenty fair. as it is now, its either going to warp the meta into mandatory mystical dispute + essence scatter on turn 4 or get banned.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 19, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

modern seems like it's in a really good place right now. i thought urza would have to go but apparently oko was enough.
the companion mechanic, however, is extremely stupid. i think it's probably safe in standard; lurrus and gyruda both have decks, but neither one seems to be paralyzing the meta, though of course that could change with time and the printing of more cards. in older formats, though, where games are very much about careful management of limited resources, a free 8th card is straight up busted. especially when it doesn't require you to change your deck composition at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/McWinSauce/status/1251949065102860290

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i cast a typhoon once in limited and it’s even more of a game breaking bomb when you cast it than when you cycle it. at the moment I cast it I still had three blood curdle and a capture sphere remaining plus some other stuff and it just crushed my opponent.

also voracious greatshark feels incredibly good to cast. GET SHARKED

It's a crazy good card if you have time to go off with it. If you have ANY removal spells still in hand and untap with it, it's just impossible for them to get through. Or you just pay 6 mana to eat their attacker and draw a card, best Mulldrifter ever.

Speaking of, what do I cut from this Jeskai deck?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I'm the Rain of Tears in the sideboard.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Entropic posted:

It's a crazy good card if you have time to go off with it. If you have ANY removal spells still in hand and untap with it, it's just impossible for them to get through. Or you just pay 6 mana to eat their attacker and draw a card, best Mulldrifter ever.

Speaking of, what do I cut from this Jeskai deck?

your curve is low just cut the two mana rocks

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Flourishing Fox is probably my pick this set for “uncommon I’m surprised isn’t a rare”. You can probably lump it in with zenith flare too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've been going 16 lands a bunch in this format if I have a bunch of cards that cycle for 1-2 mana, am I crazy?

little munchkin posted:

your curve is low just cut the two mana rocks

You're probably right. I was already looking at cutting one rock and maybe the Auricorn as it doesn't really fit with anything else I'm trying to do. I'm tempted to keep one rock because I'm pretty evenly split 3 colors and it does trigger Sharknado or ramps me into it.

But now that I look at it again, if you look at the mutate costs for the creatures I do only have 2 cards that always cost more than 4 mana and they both cycle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

I've been going 16 lands a bunch in this format if I have a bunch of cards that cycle for 1-2 mana, am I crazy?

You're not crazy, as long as they're cards you're willing to cycle in the early-game in order to help hit your land drops. It's the same reason you can often cut a land if your deck has a bunch of cheap cantrips.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That deck looks cool as hell, and I have 98% of those cards, but I know I would hate playing against it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Marketing New Brain posted:

Flourishing Fox is probably my pick this set for “uncommon I’m surprised isn’t a rare”. You can probably lump it in with zenith flare too.

Threat of activation on that stupid fox is super real with how much cheap cycling is in this set. You never want to block that thing and try to trade.

Jabor posted:

You're not crazy, as long as they're cards you're willing to cycle in the early-game in order to help hit your land drops. It's the same reason you can often cut a land if your deck has a bunch of cheap cantrips.

Fire Prophecy really helps in the same way IMO.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

If you're really getting there on cycling you'll probably want cathartic reunion too, since eventually you'll be cycling in to >1 land a turn.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol I just won a game in the Jeskai mirror where they conceded because they were gonna deck themselves with their own Whirlwind of Thought.
The Temur enchantment rare seems very much a risk for that as well.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Entropic posted:

lol I just won a game in the Jeskai mirror where they conceded because they were gonna deck themselves with their own Whirlwind of Thought.
The Temur enchantment rare seems very much a risk for that as well.

if it were the slightest bit playable, it would be an upside

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Ikoria limited is fun as hell.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

GoutPatrol posted:

That deck looks cool as hell, and I have 98% of those cards, but I know I would hate playing against it.

The deck looks cool but look at that metagame. Yikes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I want to note that the “payoff card for deckbuilding restriction” thing as popularized by hearthstone usually involves a single card that you have to draw and play to trigger. the one time they put in cards that rewarded you at the start of the game, they were so oppressively broken that they rotated them out of standard a year early, something they’ve never done before or since.

in conclusion: lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheDemon posted:

The deck looks cool but look at that metagame. Yikes.

I mean, that is also bad. I don't know what Jund Lurrus would look like when you can't play LotV and BBE. Just overload on Kroxa and abuse Wrenn6/Raven's Crime?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I want to note that the “payoff card for deckbuilding restriction” thing as popularized by hearthstone usually involves a single card that you have to draw and play to trigger. the one time they put in cards that rewarded you at the start of the game, they were so oppressively broken that they rotated them out of standard a year early, something they’ve never done before or since.

in conclusion: lol

the reason they were broken from someone who actually played hearthstone at the time was that you got their effect without having to ever play the card at the start of the game, and their effects were on the "hero power," which is essentially a low-power 'card' that you can play every turn if you don't have any other options. I hope y'all don't need the hindsight the hearthstone devs ended up having to realize why a free repeatable effect every turn broke things

that's on top of the fact that you can't interact on your opponent's turn in hearthstone and can't interact with the hero power at all

companions are none of the things that those hearthstone cards are other than 'related to deckbuilding restrictions' and 'will be available to play once, whenever.'

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm currently playing 5 colour good stuff in draft. This is the dream.

Okay, okay, it's more like Sultai splash Boros, but it counts.

Not shown: 2x Evolving Wilds.

I regret nothing, except if this pic is too small (legendary is Biollante).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I want to believe in a Lurrus deck with a Necrogen Spellbomb that gets recurred on the opponent's draw step to keep them locked out for the rest of the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean, that is also bad. I don't know what Jund Lurrus would look like when you can't play LotV and BBE. Just overload on Kroxa and abuse Wrenn6/Raven's Crime?

https://twitter.com/Grooveyhoovey/status/1251484172134371328?s=19&fbclid=IwAR2D5jk9UZlDwrQFYDL6AoaJxkA_eEhlX4IkvXVr5f0fOoWPmlxKehBm-7A

Something like this, I assume

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

How exactly are they messing up EDH? Color identity restrictions and having to work 99 singletons as opposed to 60 four-ofs mean you can do a lot less to satisfy them.

Hell, Lurrus can only be companion to two of them.

Discounting Lutri because they made it a freebie and it got banned within seconds of being spoiled lol.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well, the guy labeled EDH is actually still on his horse. :eng101:.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
nm

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

odiv posted:

Well, the guy labeled EDH is actually still on his horse. :eng101:.

And limited is going "Whoa, holy poo poo", but is also still mounted and out of the way, checks out.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

flatluigi posted:

the reason they were broken from someone who actually played hearthstone at the time was that you got their effect without having to ever play the card at the start of the game, and their effects were on the "hero power," which is essentially a low-power 'card' that you can play every turn if you don't have any other options. I hope y'all don't need the hindsight the hearthstone devs ended up having to realize why a free repeatable effect every turn broke things

that's on top of the fact that you can't interact on your opponent's turn in hearthstone and can't interact with the hero power at all

companions are none of the things that those hearthstone cards are other than 'related to deckbuilding restrictions' and 'will be available to play once, whenever.'

companions are a bonus effect that you don't have to draw to benefit from. i think they're pretty comparable, and i hit legend with evenlock several months running at the height of Bakumania. the problem isn't that the effect is strong, it's that you don't have to invest a card draw into getting the effect, and in a close game like magic that tends to focus on resource trading (as opposed to hearthstone, which is more about synergy and powerful swing turns) that effect is magnified.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

So I cast dreadful apathy. In return they cast banishing light onto dreadful apathy to remove it from their creature. Down the line I push their poo poo in with ruinous ultimatum.

As a result banishing light is now cleared off the battlefield as well as all of their stuff. This frees dreadful apathy from exile. Arena then decided the most appropriate place to put it would be onto one of my creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

So I cast dreadful apathy. In return they cast banishing light onto dreadful apathy to remove it from their creature. Down the line I push their poo poo in with ruinous ultimatum.

As a result banishing light is now cleared off the battlefield as well as all of their stuff. This frees dreadful apathy from exile. Arena then decided the most appropriate place to put it would be onto one of my creatures.

That is exactly how that situation plays out IRL too.

Did you get to pick the creature, though?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apathy has to attach to a legal target when it returns to the battlefield and even though it sucks that the only legal target was one of your creatures there's nothing wrong with arena making you do it

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

companions are a bonus effect that you don't have to draw to benefit from. i think they're pretty comparable, and i hit legend with evenlock several months running at the height of Bakumania. the problem isn't that the effect is strong, it's that you don't have to invest a card draw into getting the effect, and in a close game like magic that tends to focus on resource trading (as opposed to hearthstone, which is more about synergy and powerful swing turns) that effect is magnified.

there's a pretty huge gap between having the effect always-on from the beginning of the game and needing to play the card (and in most cases needing to have the card stick)

don't get me wrong, i think the fact that companions start in your opening hand is part of why they're powerful, i just think that people trying to go 'they're copying a hearthstone thing, and the hearthstone thing failed so hard that wizards shouldn't have ever done it!!' are being somewhat willfully dense/misleading

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ok Wizards, bringing in the extra deck was a good start, now next set for real put in Synchro Monsters

Let me summon big dumb dragons from out of nowhere

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is exactly how that situation plays out IRL too.

Did you get to pick the creature, though?

I'd assume it would go to my graveyard. In any case, no I didn't get to pick, it just went to the one furthest on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

I'd assume it would go to my graveyard. In any case, no I didn't get to pick, it just went to the one furthest on the left.

If it didn't you couldn't have interactions with cards like Sun Titan that bring auras like Dead Weight back to plink off hexproof creatures.

That does sound like a bug though with you not being able to pick the creature, you should report it!