Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It does have a lot of child death in it. I've definitely had times in my life when that would have been a big nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just got a nice gaming laptop after going without a PC for 4 years. I forgot how easy it is to spend money on video games.

Fuckin loving Disco Elysium

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

It does have a lot of child death in it. I've definitely had times in my life when that would have been a big nope.

The bathtub chapter starts and you immediately know what is going to happen and that you are going to watch it go down; I can see someone sensitive to that topic immediately quitting and uninstalling the game. Similarly for people who had abusive childhoods there's a lot going on in general that might be too much.

The cannery was the point where I was completely drawn in to what was going on. However looking back it definitely seems like that was clearly the most developed and built out story and some of the others just existed to take up space. Little Billy's peach eating adventures and make daughter learn hard scrabble survival skills felt kind of forced in there to pad out the ones they really spent time on, little girl animal warg, comic book horror cliche, and the aforementioned cannery.

The overall story, family curse w/weird creepy house, was a nice framing device but had tons of missed potential. the whole curse thing was mental illness right? And just plain bad luck

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kraps posted:

What kind of game is Elite Dangerous and is it fun?

It's a space game like others have mentioned but when I started playing it I was addicted. I did Deep Core Mining to earn money - "space mining doesn't sound very exciting" you might be saying and in every other videogame where it's a possibility you'd be right, but in Elite you accomplish this by actually flying around in a physical space, scanning asteroids, finding high-value ones then maneuvering around them while strategically launching variable-powered seismic charges into cracks in the crust to reach the optimal explosion which cracks it open and drifts the chunks gently apart, then you time all of your charges right, crack it, and fly right into the core of it while launching drones that collect ore. They're not perfect pilots so you have to maneuver your ship into a good position for them to reach the cargo bay. There's a whole lot of optimization you can do to speed the process up and you feel yourself becoming better at the more irl experience you get with it.

Playing it also exposed my brain to a whole new level of perception of scale, nothing else has ever conveyed the sense of size of space to me quite as well as that game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 20, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just finished OneShot, and while I liked it a lot, I didn't really consider it as thought-provoking as it was trying to be. It's just a cool little game where you can occasionally talk to your character.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just finished OneShot, and while I liked it a lot, I didn't really consider it as thought-provoking as it was trying to be. It's just a cool little game where you can occasionally talk to your character.

Did you go through the Solstice content?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ultrafilter posted:

Did you go through the Solstice content?
I did not.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You've only seen about half the game then.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

pentyne posted:

The bathtub chapter starts and you immediately know what is going to happen and that you are going to watch it go down; I can see someone sensitive to that topic immediately quitting and uninstalling the game. Similarly for people who had abusive childhoods there's a lot going on in general that might be too much.
That was in fact the point where I noped the gently caress out of there. I thought the treatment was horrific. "Such a happy kid, who knows what he's thinking" - probably not actually what you made us sit through, guessing it was a bit less cheerful all round. Very much not for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

The overall story, family curse w/weird creepy house, was a nice framing device but had tons of missed potential. the whole curse thing was mental illness right? And just plain bad luck

you can read it either way, in a way basically the movie Hereditary, of not too dissimilar themes.

hail king paimon

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Albinator posted:

That was in fact the point where I noped the gently caress out of there. I thought the treatment was horrific. "Such a happy kid, who knows what he's thinking" - probably not actually what you made us sit through, guessing it was a bit less cheerful all round. Very much not for me.

It's been a little while, but isn't that scenario from the writings of a doctor or the father or somebody, trying to make it seem less tragic and cheerful to try to help the grieving mother? I thought it was quite poignant and powerful in that context. The way you described it made it sound like Hatred.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I'm very late on this, but A Short Hike was really good. Especially given that (1) the world is a bit depressing and (2) you can't go outside much, it was really ideal. Such a chill exploration of a small open world with pretty satisfying traversal mechanics. You're basically a bird who goes on a short hike, as the title suggests. Would definitely recommend -- it's maybe 1-2 very pleasant hours in total.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

tildes posted:

I'm very late on this, but A Short Hike was really good. Especially given that (1) the world is a bit depressing and (2) you can't go outside much, it was really ideal. Such a chill exploration of a small open world with pretty satisfying traversal mechanics. You're basically a bird who goes on a short hike, as the title suggests. Would definitely recommend -- it's maybe 1-2 very pleasant hours in total.

I spent 3 hours 100%-ing it, it's really good! The only thing I wish I had known before is that you can play at native resolution: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1055540/discussions/0/2944710017721269891/

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I didn't mind the filter but I'm curious how it looks without it now...

Definitely a nice little experience though :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Part two of "Games I got from a recent Humble Bundle that I either already have or don't really want"

Replace * with 3
Replace & with 9
Replace % with 7
Replace @ with 5
Replace $ with 4

A Mortician's Tale
B8RED-V&*&@-YRIMY

A Good Snowman is Hard to Build

DUCATI - &0th Anniversary
CH$@T-*Y2X6-BCFMV

Pikuniku

Tropico 4

This is the Police
DD&LW-KH@GZ-J0T6F

PAC-MAN™ CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION 2
AXFBK-WAVTI-E$D%&

Magicka
A&NEJ-$JBY%-FNHQK

HIVESWAP: Act 1
AHNGT-N$%@&-WPD$M

World of Goo
AMNN0-LXE0I-*H0RY

Europa Universalis IV
B@E8D-V@LCD-WXXNA

Alien Spidy
A@BDW-2VGAR-WAJZ$

Stealth 2: A Game of Clones

Hacknet
A82W%-6PK&R-XTRBI

Lostwinds
AN@68-CJRW@-8RDYB

VVVVVV

Super Hexagon
A&J2%-BV0WE-TC&%F

Zombotron
HYN$2-XDFP*-$B6CB

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 20, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I spent 3 hours 100%-ing it, it's really good! The only thing I wish I had known before is that you can play at native resolution: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1055540/discussions/0/2944710017721269891/

Yeah I did turn the pixel effect down a bit

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

8one6 posted:

Part two of "Games I got from a recent Humble Bundle that I either already have or don't really want"

Pikuniku

Grabbed this cheers :)

Does anyone remember a post apocalyptic farm simulator game (epic exclusive a while back)? Also, the chat about the bizarro hidden object games has me intrigued - whats absolutely bonkers and goes on sale for cheeep?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Grabbed this cheers :)

Does anyone remember a post apocalyptic farm simulator game (epic exclusive a while back)? Also, the chat about the bizarro hidden object games has me intrigued - whats absolutely bonkers and goes on sale for cheeep?

Do you mean Atomicrops?https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/atomicrops/home

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Thats the one! Cheers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pentyne posted:

If they were aiming for this then I don't think they really succeeded, because so many of the setups were totally unforeseeable circumstances or frankly comedic mishaps instead of the crushing, oppressive struggle that living with a mental illness can be. With many of the side stories you spend literally 4-5 minutes learning anything about the character and WHOOPSIES now they're dead, which when repeated 10 or 11 times begins to look more like a farce. The writers were clearly trying to go for some kind of life-affirming message, especially in the context of the final chapter, but I don't think they really "earned" those moments with the characters. With the exception of the cannery scene and a couple others you don't really get to inhabit the mental state of the family member you're controlling, you don't get to go on a journey with them long enough to feel sad that they all died young. You're just kinda playing along with whatever the new gameplay gimmick is for that chapter while waiting for this hapless sucker to get a game over 10 minutes from now.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DrNutt posted:

Here was what I did to maximize my enjoyment of Elite Dangerous: bought an awesome HOTAS joystick, played the game at night in a dark room, played with noise cancelling seinheiser headphones, and got high as gently caress. Probably the most immersive experience I could have gotten out of it without dropping money on a VR headset. The WHOM of the ship exiting lightspeed never gets old.

I'm short on drugs and HOTAS but this is probably the most enjoyable way to play E:D

The atmosphere through sound and visuals is very intense and the best available when it comes to space.

It's very time consuming though and has plenty of issues, but it's enjoyable for a time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I had planned to play E:D in virtual reality, but eventually had to give up. The controls are already complex when you aren't wearing the headset, but if you straight up can't see the keyboard you're not gonna be able to do anything.

edit: should have made it more clear, I believe you need a flightstick to play this in VR. ideally it would be the one that the dude in the game is using, which I believe you can buy

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Shame that there is no way to control your ships right from in-game through your cockpit, or is there? That would be just amazing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If you've got a HOTAS you can easily play Elite in VR, most sticks nowadays have more than enough buttons you need for 99% of controls.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Shame that there is no way to control your ships right from in-game through your cockpit, or is there? That would be just amazing.
There isn't. That's usually the more immersive and practical approach, even if you lose a little precision. An OpenVR overlay that rendered animated 3d models of HOTAS and wheels, placement adjustable with the VR controllers, would be a help. I could have sworn something like that existed, but I haven't been able to find it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Aphex- posted:

If you've got a HOTAS you can easily play Elite in VR, most sticks nowadays have more than enough buttons you need for 99% of controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0b2Kd2xhU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

8one6 posted:

Stealth 2: A Game of Clones

I got this one, thank you. Note that Tropico is also taken, tried to redeem that one.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tried to grab A Good Snowman is Hard to Build but looks like that was taken already as well. Ah well, thanks for handing out games regardless.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

8one6 posted:

VVVVVV

Wow, I didn't expect this to still be available nearly six hours later. Thank you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SilkyP posted:

Just got a nice gaming laptop after going without a PC for 4 years. I forgot how easy it is to spend money on video games.

Fuckin loving Disco Elysium

What graphics card is in there? If it’s the RTX 2060 or 2070 you need to check out something with ray tracing, stat. Just watching videos doesn’t really do it justice.

E:maybe not metro exodus, though, that doesn’t support DLSS 2.0 and a laptop RTX card will have a rough time doing decent ray tracing settings without that. Control, though, hot drat.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What graphics card is in there? If it’s the RTX 2060 or 2070 you need to check out something with ray tracing, stat. Just watching videos doesn’t really do it justice.

E:maybe not metro exodus, though, that doesn’t support DLSS 2.0 and a laptop RTX card will have a rough time doing decent ray tracing settings without that. Control, though, hot drat.

Got the rtx 2060. Haven't messed with ray tracing but what would you suggest to try it out?

Edit: will check out control if I can get it relatively cheap!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SilkyP posted:

Got the rtx 2060. Haven't messed with ray tracing but what would you suggest to try it out?

Edit: will check out control if I can get it relatively cheap!

Quake 2 with ray tracing is free on steam. It’s not the most visually impressive thing out there but it’ll give you a taste.

Wolfenstein Youngblood is not a great game but they patched in ray tracing and DLSS 2.0 and it looks really good, if you already have it or can get it cheap that’s worth a bit of dicking around in.

I legit haven’t been able to go back to control on my laptop since I played it on my 2070S, it just looks that drat good with ray tracing that it feels weird without it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you're trying to stumble on how to unlock things, its extremely unlikely. Look up a guide for that stuff.

Having just now sat on the Nuclear Throne for the first time (:toot:) I went ahead and took this advice, and looked up how to unlock the last few characters. I can confirm that there was indeed no chance of me ever stumbling on those requirements naturally. Not even remotely.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Picked up Fort Triumph, it's Fantasy X-COM.
Fantasy X-COM is good.

Speaking more fully, it feels like there's still a bunch of fertile soil in that particular mechanical system. Battletech was excellent, Fort Triumph is a blast, X-COM of course was a hit.
I would like to see a space 4X use that system for their space combat mechanism. Ship design would consist of assembling the different abilities and stats that you want for your ships or squadrons. Mm. It's ripe with possibility.
But that's not Steam Thread chat.

Go get Fort Triumph, game good.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

El Spamo posted:

Picked up Fort Triumph, it's Fantasy X-COM.
Fantasy X-COM is good.

Speaking more fully, it feels like there's still a bunch of fertile soil in that particular mechanical system. Battletech was excellent, Fort Triumph is a blast, X-COM of course was a hit.
I would like to see a space 4X use that system for their space combat mechanism. Ship design would consist of assembling the different abilities and stats that you want for your ships or squadrons. Mm. It's ripe with possibility.
But that's not Steam Thread chat.

Go get Fort Triumph, game good.

Oh nice, I forgot I backed this however long ago. I’ll give it a shot tonight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My main problem with fantasy XCOMs is that they tend to be comedy-focused, and every comedy fantasy game after Majesty has been overdone and unfunny.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

My main problem with fantasy XCOMs is that they tend to be comedy-focused, and every comedy fantasy game after Majesty has been overdone and unfunny.

My immediate reaction was "That can't be true even if I love Majesty" and I have not reached any kind of actual denial of it. Hm.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orv posted:

My immediate reaction was "That can't be true even if I love Majesty" and I have not reached any kind of actual denial of it. Hm.

Note that I love Majesty and think its humor works, it is the last good comedy fantasy game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Note that I love Majesty and think its humor works, it is the last good comedy fantasy game.

Yeah I meant that there surely had to be something after it that worked and then I kept coming up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I remember liking the humor of that Bard's Tale Diablo clone, but that's been 15 years ago and probably mainly because of the beer song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUJNeuFIFA

Baller Time fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 20, 2020