Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
So what's a way to stop the game becoming a hopeless micromanagement exercise? From 2370 on almost everything I did was watch out for unemployed pops and placed buildings/districts so much that it reminds me of the time I had a job in administration. Automating my planets didn't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Evig Vandrar posted:

So what's a way to stop the game becoming a hopeless micromanagement exercise? From 2370 on almost everything I did was watch out for unemployed pops and placed buildings/districts so much that it reminds me of the time I had a job in administration. Automating my planets didn't seem to do anything.

Have Banksy frame this poo poo, this is art.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Build Ecus and Ringworlds, set your policy to Utopian to avoid unemployment issues, and do mass migrations every so often.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kaal posted:

Build Ecus and Ringworlds, set your policy to Utopian to avoid unemployment issues, and do mass migrations every so often.

That's what I do too and it works pretty well, even in large galaxies. Sometimes I want to take 10 minutes to manage all of the planets but for the most part you can just ignore unemployment and housing shortages by that point in the game, it's fine.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Welp, 2 games in a row I started right next to an Advanced Start Driven Exterminator

Hahaha this happened to me yesterday and I immediately built my fleet to maximum and built two starbases to slow them down while getting defensive pacts with all the other races I found around them and managed to fend off their first attack on me.

Then, while exploring the other direction where there didn't seem to be anyone, an advanced start Fanatic Purifier (the little space geckos are too strong!) happened to be on that side and I had 0 resources to fend off their 6k fleet power (mine was around 2500 and that was pretty good at the time) and I couldn't get any bases built in time since I had to build two on the other side just to be sure I could slow them down enough when they attacked.

At least it was a quick and painless loss!

They really need to add some buttons for the late game to re-distribute pops from planets with lots of unemployment to the new empty ringworlds/ecumenopolises/machine worlds/etc. when I have infinite energy income so the cost to move them doesn't even matter. Nothing is worse than manually moving 100 pops from my beginning planets to the fancy new ringworld segment I just finished one at a time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

deathbagel posted:

They really need to add some buttons for the late game to re-distribute pops from planets with lots of unemployment to the new empty ringworlds/ecumenopolises/machine worlds/etc. when I have infinite energy income so the cost to move them doesn't even matter. Nothing is worse than manually moving 100 pops from my beginning planets to the fancy new ringworld segment I just finished one at a time.

It's almost like we could use some sort of... migration... mechanic?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't been able to get the resolution passed that allows you to enable the auto migration policy, anyone try it out yet to see if it helps?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Just use the auto migration mod and set an Ecu or Ringworld as your destination, it'll do the rest.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Serephina posted:

It would help if the migration system was less braindead about having pops move (and stay) on inhospitable planets.

hmm yes needlessly burning extra resources to live in a desert with 15% habitability... what is this, an Arizona joke?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

deathbagel posted:

Download Automatic Pop Migration, activate the edict, and literally never worry about resettling ever again.

Also pray that someone keeps it up to date.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
oh thank god someone else is supporting APM, the original creator quit Stellaris modding in 2.5

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Played this game this weekend.

It's a lot better than it used to be.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Download Automatic Pop Migration, activate the edict, and literally never worry about resettling ever again.

Also pray that someone keeps it up to date.

Also wanna throw in that this mod is really good about assigning pops to planets with proper habitability, so if you're playing void dwellers you don't have to worry about your main species being shuffled off.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Yeah, but I'm weird and feel like I'm cheating if I'm playing with mods. I might have to just do it though because resettling manually annoys me enough to possibly not care about cheating (same as disabling agents in Total War Warhammer.) Can I still get achievements with that mod? I only need a few more to have them all!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

deathbagel posted:

Yeah, but I'm weird and feel like I'm cheating if I'm playing with mods. I might have to just do it though because resettling manually annoys me enough to possibly not care about cheating (same as disabling agents in Total War Warhammer.) Can I still get achievements with that mod? I only need a few more to have them all!

Nope, no cheevos.

And mods are only cheating if you get cheat mods.

APM saves your sanity. It also doesn't do anything you can't do yourself, it just saves you the five billion clicks.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

deathbagel posted:

pretty much any mod that doesn't just add additional color options or rescale the UI is going to break achievements. there are two relatively easy ways to get achievements with mods: by downloading CheatEngine and its Stellaris table maintained by recifense, then the extension for the table by CompactDisc (the latter is not up to date for 2.6.3 yet though), then enabling Modded Achievements while the game is loading into the main menu, or by downloading Steam Achievement Manager and giving them to yourself

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mods make this game a billion times more enjoyable. Install mods.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Install gigastuctures and everything by guilli.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

hobbesmaster posted:

After you install Carrying capacity.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Coming off the back of the latest Mapgoons game it looks like the new meta is extremely federation focused. We've unofficially limited federations to 3 players and power blocks have been forming, with the most exposed ones having at least one member who doesn't share borders with the rest.

Trade feds seem by far the superior choice atm and megacorps have an incredible niche to fill in that regard. Tech feds on the other hand seem pretty weak because they only get two levels of fleet collaboration, capping it quite low in size, and they only get the second level at max centralisation which is oof.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've been playing assimilators and I'm liking only having one envoy. It's harder to mind control my first neighbour and if I meet a few people pretty quickly I have to make harder choices.

e: oh wait 1 is normal, it was my xenophiling that got me the other two in all my other games. That explains some things!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 20, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I seem to remember that species can awaken their psionic potential if some of the species members get awakened by a spiritual/psionic empire, even if they don't live in that empire. Do I remember correctly, and is that still the case in current Stellaris?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

I seem to remember that species can awaken their psionic potential if some of the species members get awakened by a spiritual/psionic empire, even if they don't live in that empire. Do I remember correctly, and is that still the case in current Stellaris?

This is still the case, yes.

quote:

Coming off the back of the latest Mapgoons game it looks like the new meta is extremely federation focused. We've unofficially limited federations to 3 players and power blocks have been forming, with the most exposed ones having at least one member who doesn't share borders with the rest.

Trade feds seem by far the superior choice atm and megacorps have an incredible niche to fill in that regard. Tech feds on the other hand seem pretty weak because they only get two levels of fleet collaboration, capping it quite low in size, and they only get the second level at max centralisation which is oof.

I can't say I'm surprised, as federations take an age to level up but have very powerful perks later (free 600 cap fleet? Yes please!) which means you need to found them early.

With a few small buffs, I suspect Martial Alliances could be terrifying. Right now, they offer the most benefits to a contiguous consortium of small but very angry empires.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 20, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aethernet posted:

This is still the case, yes.

Thanks. So spiritualists can spread one of the main perks of their ascension perks to other empires, who can then double dip with biological ascension to have superior genetically engineered psionic pops? That kind of sucks.

Aethernet posted:

I can't say I'm surprised, as federations take an age to level up but have very powerful perks later (free 600 cap fleet? Yes please!) which means you need to found them early.

With a few small buffs, I suspect Martial Alliances could be terrifying. Right now, they offer the most benefits to a contiguous consortium of small but very angry empires.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Martial Alliances. It's also kind of ridiculous that both Martial Alliances and Galactic Unions give the same effect as Defender of the Galaxy at max level. Do those stack to +100% damage to crisis ships?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When you change a federation type, how many levels of centralization do you lose?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

When you change a federation type, how many levels of centralization do you lose?

All of them.

It counts as an entirely new federation.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

All of them.

It counts as an entirely new federation.

Well that blows.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Torrannor posted:

Thanks. So spiritualists can spread one of the main perks of their ascension perks to other empires, who can then double dip with biological ascension to have superior genetically engineered psionic pops? That kind of sucks.
Same with cybernetics.

I think leaders only get one of the traits even if the pop they come from has more than 1 of Erudite/Psionic/Cybernetic

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

You mean a bit like the one we had back when pops were on tiles and would move around on their own?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bofast posted:

You mean a bit like the one we had back when pops were on tiles and would move around on their own?

I seriously do not understand why this is not a thing as is. I dont even care if it costs me money, just make them move on their own!!!

And apparently the resolution for auto migration is a joke, too. I don't understand paradox resistance towards a sensible migration system.

Resettling pops for several hundred years is fun exactly never why is this even still a thinggggggg

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

I seriously do not understand why this is not a thing as is. I dont even care if it costs me money, just make them move on their own!!!

And apparently the resolution for auto migration is a joke, too. I don't understand paradox resistance towards a sensible migration system.
Pop migration is supposed to be handled by the immigration and emigration modifiers to pop growth and decline. But the absolute game destroyer that is single pop at a time growth means they can't actually leverage it properly. Adding old style pop migration as a core option would force them to admit that the unified system doesn't work, which would force them to admit the one pop at a time mechanic was a mistake. And im guessing that politically that's not an option.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of Martial Alliances. It's also kind of ridiculous that both Martial Alliances and Galactic Unions give the same effect as Defender of the Galaxy at max level. Do those stack to +100% damage to crisis ships?

I assume so, given the new 25x crisis strength setting, otherwise it would be quite mean. But I don't know for sure.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Splicer posted:

Pop migration is supposed to be handled by the immigration and emigration modifiers to pop growth and decline. But the absolute game destroyer that is single pop at a time growth means they can't actually leverage it properly. Adding old style pop migration as a core option would force them to admit that the unified system doesn't work, which would force them to admit the one pop at a time mechanic was a mistake. And im guessing that politically that's not an option.

The mechanic is core to both Stellaris and Imperator. I wonder how important either game is?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In my latest game there's a pre-sapient species called "Roachoid". I have a tomb world with three pops of it in my borders, and I have a pop-up saying I can uplift them. However, if I go to the uplift screen, I can't uplift them, because they're not in my borders. If I click the "camera" button to show me where they are, it takes me to a different world in another empire's borders that has Roachoids on it.

I assume the functionality's breaking because there should only be one set of the species, but the galaxy's spawned two. Anyone seen this or have suggestions for resolving it? I guess I could just terraform the planet under them and wipe them out, but I'd rather uplift them instead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Gene-modding removes the psionic trait, you have to re-awaken any pops that you gene mod

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gort posted:

In my latest game there's a pre-sapient species called "Roachoid". I have a tomb world with three pops of it in my borders, and I have a pop-up saying I can uplift them. However, if I go to the uplift screen, I can't uplift them, because they're not in my borders. If I click the "camera" button to show me where they are, it takes me to a different world in another empire's borders that has Roachoids on it.

I assume the functionality's breaking because there should only be one set of the species, but the galaxy's spawned two. Anyone seen this or have suggestions for resolving it? I guess I could just terraform the planet under them and wipe them out, but I'd rather uplift them instead.

You need to colonize the planet before you can uplift the species. Just bite the bullet with your best habitability pop and settle the world. As soon as you've uplifted the cockroaches, you will have pops that can live on there. Just make sure your native tolerance is set to the right policy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The colonization requirement for uplift is so loving dumb

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
why doesn't the tooltip say that instead of "species is not in your borders"

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/zH05h-o0F6I

This is superb.