Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Would this poo poo have been reduced at all had Congress just established guaranteed income for people furloughed or laid off? I get that a lot of this is boomers being told “no” for the first time in their lives and throwing an absolute fit over not being able to go to the mall, but a lot of them are using the unemployment numbers to back-up their tantrums.

Would what have been reduced? The Astroturfed protests featuring upwards of a hundred people? No, and they’re inconsequential.

The way some of y’all are reacting to this you’d think there were 30 million protestors out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

100% no.

These people aren't protesting reality.

They have no real grievance.

They're being told to do something for the greater good which they absolutely cannot abide by.

Yeah, if you told all of them that if they went home they could say the N-word, they'd probably disperse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah. The people who are really struggling are too busy struggling to post spicy memes or do these dumbass protests.

I sincerely think it may be some existential crises triggering, something something the hollowness of American life. Normally I'd feel like I was just doing :goonsay: for that, but if you look at these complaints none of them are for anything important. No one's airing real grievances. It's that they can't go to the playground, or go to the beach, or get a haircut, or go to the loving Texas Roadhouse. There were a few events I was really looking forward to in the summer that are almost certainly going to be canceled. It sucks, I said it sucks, I moved on to other things.

There's just a fundamental breakdown in people dealing with this. My sister's been a steady window into that worldview, since she's been calling my mom a lot, not to check on her or my really at-risk father, but to complain constantly. She won't stop talking about May 1st because it will magically sweep the virus away. She keeps saying how great it'll be after the 1st when her kids can visit their friends. She gets all neighborhood watch on anyone she sees hanging out outside, not because they're being stupid, but because it's not fair that they get to socialize when she "can't." She keeps making up errands so that she can wander around stores. She bought a bunch of plants so she could spend all weekend gardening so that everything could get wrecked by frost. She's sad that her kids haven't been outside. She's sad that her kids didn't want to go powerwalking with her and their dad, and no she couldn't just walk slower for them.

It's just an alien worldview.

i dont understand it. i am sure parts of my dads family is acting like this but i dont talk with them much. like yeah, id rather be looking for a job and such but i am fine sitting at home/neighborhood. like sure, id love to be visiting friend or going to stores, but tough poo poo, make sacrifices, hell, if i get this. i may die or end up on dialysis again. i'll stay in as long as it takes.

also the end date poo poo is dumb to latch on to. its not gonna just end. at best stuff will get a little better by end of may/june/july. but with theses loathsome fucks doing this poo poo, it will probably be longer. it doesnt help that we dont have the tests and such to check.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

Would what have been reduced? The Astroturfed protests featuring upwards of a hundred people? No, and they’re inconsequential.

The way some of y’all are reacting to this you’d think there were 30 million protestors out there.

sure but that the way the virus is, thats enough to spread it and i am sure some of them have it or are asymptomatic.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

Eh, it's starting to get a little worrying. The Olympia rally was decent sized and polls are drifting from 70-80% support for lockdown to about 65% support. And while there aren't too many LIBERATE people, it seems like more people are getting fed up and want to reopen. The news won't shut up about it either. There's a good chance that we're going to see a botched early opening if we don't get a scary enough spike from the elections, protests or Florida being Florida. Cooler heads aren't prevailing.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont understand it. i am sure parts of my dads family is acting like this but i dont talk with them much. like yeah, id rather be looking for a job and such but i am fine sitting at home/neighborhood. like sure, id love to be visiting friend or going to stores, but tough poo poo, make sacrifices, hell, if i get this. i may die or end up on dialysis again. i'll stay in as long as it takes.

I don't get it either. I've had a few bad days, but you just do your best to adapt. My sister quieted down a little after my mom told her point-blank that my dad does not have good survival odds if he gets it and the lockdown is for people like him. That seems to have worn off though. Now she flips back and forth between dreaming of May 1st and worrying about whether her daughter will be able to have a graduation party next year. :shrug:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This guy gets it.

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1251571068885585920?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. like i am sure i will start bitching more if its loving august and there is no end in sight and no stimulus and every game i am looking at has been delayed. but right now i am ok.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Eh, it's starting to get a little worrying. The Olympia rally was decent sized and polls are drifting from 70-80% support for lockdown to about 65% support. And while there aren't too many LIBERATE people, it seems like more people are getting fed up and want to reopen. The news won't shut up about it either. There's a good chance that we're going to see a botched early opening if we don't get a scary enough spike from the elections, protests or Florida being Florida. Cooler heads aren't prevailing.

I predict mid-May is going to be brutal. The Trumpbux and other stimulus will run out and you'll have a ton more people in dire financial straits after May rent is due. Congress won't be back in session until May and I think it's unlikely they'll move quickly (if at all) on more stimulus.

Then you'll have more waves of infections hitting hospitals.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

I predict mid-May is going to be brutal. The Trumpbux and other stimulus will run out and you'll have a ton more people in dire financial straits after May rent is due. Congress won't be back in session until May and I think it's unlikely they'll move quickly (if at all) on more stimulus.

Then you'll have more waves of infections hitting hospitals.

yeah. like with the protests and not having a real number with testing issues. i have no loving idea when this shits gonna get better. its clear the senate isnt gonna send stimulus to help folks.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wilbur Swain posted:

I am continually impressed by the biblical knowledge of this thread.

Unlike Evangelicals, it seems like most of us actually read it

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 20, 2020

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

two years in an attic being quite as a mouse, no windows, no lights at night.

lol at the worst of Mericans being the most entitled POS.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

TulliusCicero posted:

Unlike Evangelicals, it seems like most is actually read it

Exactly. Evangelicals exploit the bible. Anyone with actual knowledge of the new testament can easily contradict their claims, but it's pointless if the ones they're exploiting are clueless.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

He's not wrong, but it's not just down to folks being stupid. These aren't working people who want to go back to work, these are small business owners who want their employees back to work, funded by Betsy Devos and her millionaire ilk.

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1251877070621290496

Pomeroy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 20, 2020

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Fallom posted:

The tea party was AstroTurf poo poo too and thanks to Fox News picking it up and slamming it through their viewer’s skulls it became a real thing.

I don’t give a poo poo about a few dozen flat earthers screaming at health care workers to go to China. I care about the Fox News cameras that are very carefully capturing a view that makes the crowd look like it has thousands of people in it, and the personalities who will be telling millions of Americans that this is their moment to “take back your country”.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The media is bored with the story so they've decided to get people killed

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Indiana got their protest at the governors mansion

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is there a single non-white person at any of these "protests?:

It's just a sea of expired Mayo as far as the eye can see

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crain posted:

So I wrote a big effort post on facebook for friends and coworkers about isolation, cabin fever, and the like when the stay at home stuff first started. I'm not a real expert on the subject, but I did have some tips to share from the time I went to Antarctica for work since it was part of the initial training we did before we left/once we got there. You know, cause they don't want you losing your goddamned mind at the bottom of the world 2000+ miles from the nearest piece of civilization. Most of it was fairly obvious stuff like keeping busy, have a hobby to do, etc. There was one thing however that I felt was really important: Not setting an end date for your "release".

When I was down there you were either on the bases as a transit, staying in a base long enough to get to another base like the south pole station, or you were there to do a job for a vaguely defined period of time. I was on a science team so I was there till the project finished. That could have been two weeks, it could have been two months, it could have been longer. Everyone had a different timetable and the nature of the weather down there meant there couldn't really be a guaranteed exit date. So they told us not to expect an exact time to leave. Even once our jobs were over, they didn't tell an exact time to get to the "airport" shuttle, just a rough window of time within 24-48 hours of our stuff being finished. You'd literally finish packing your work stuff, notify the travel office and get your open ended ticket, pack your personal poo poo up, and wait. You'd get the call and haul rear end to get on the plane.

That's because it can be devastating mentally to have your day of freedom be ripped away from you through no fault of your own if you fixate on it. A storm can blow in and lock down travel for a day, a week, or even more. Now I was there in the summer, when it's nice, weather is mostly clear, and there's good stores of provisions and lots of people around. I was also only there a couple of months. But for someone who had flown in at the start of the season, spent up to 4-6 months or so doing a menial job and was desperate to see civilization again, it could be heart breaking to find out that the day you were looking forward to soooo sooooo much is now invalid and you've got to wait a week to even try again. To say nothing of the people staying over the winter when that poo poo really got bad. So the goal there was to keep you from being able to fixate on any single date and dump hopes and dreams, make plans that need to follow a schedule, etc.

So where this ties in: We all know at this point we're going to have to do the cyclical isolation thing. We know. Others have decided, even against the evidence, that it'll be one and done. They're looking at May 1st, June 1st, or whatever as their exit date. Those dates are going to get pushed, they're going to have new calls to isolate come out 2-3 weeks later as cases start to spike again. And these people are not going to be able to handle it. You don't really want to set your heart on an exit date. Just be ready and happy when it finally does come.
you down to post it here too?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TulliusCicero posted:

Is there a single non-white person at any of these "protests?:

It's just a sea of expired Mayo as far as the eye can see

What's amusing about this is that blacks and browns are the ones suffering the most from this (per usual).

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wilbur Swain posted:

I am continually impressed by the biblical knowledge of this thread.

It's not hard, you just need to crack open that book once in a while instead of beating others with it

Well, every one of these protesting morons should be denied medical treatment if that's the way they're gonna be. Not just not made a priority, flat out nothing. Don't give them a goddamned thing and let them drown in their own fluids. gently caress'em

Well, we are the nation that avoided war because Iran was more loving sane than us

I wonder, at the end of this, will it inspire some future rhymes like the Black Death did
"Ring around the rosie
So we can all catch the roni
Protest, Protest
Now we all fuckin' die!"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 20, 2020

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I'm so mad about this astroturfed bullshit. I don't want these people or their loved ones to die, but it's going to be hard to get my sympathy gland working when we start seeing headlines about "X people dead who attended lockdown protests". I wish I could force the horrible rich fucks in power to understand what they're doing. Just really make them feel the scope of the deaths they're funding. I wish I could force the protesters to understand what they're doing too, but unfortunately that'll happen the hard way.

gently caress. These loving people would protest against rationing and salt their neighbors' Victory Gardens.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GeminiSun posted:

I'm so mad about this astroturfed bullshit. I don't want these people or their loved ones to die, but it's going to be hard to get my sympathy gland working when we start seeing headlines about "X people dead who attended lockdown protests".

This won't be the headline, though, and it won't be what happens.

Instead, it'll be an outbreak with a ton of cases that have barely any connection back to the protests, as all these people infect everyone around them at grocery stores, work, or wherever the gently caress. These are also the exact people who won't wear a mask or probably even cover their mouths when they cough. This astroturfed bullshit is creating the perfect carriers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GeminiSun posted:

I'm so mad about this astroturfed bullshit. I don't want these people or their loved ones to die, but it's going to be hard to get my sympathy gland working
I have sympathy for all the medical responders and staff that will fall ill because bumfuck USA has goldfish brains.

One of the states that had the first set of protests/relaxed churchevehts already had an uptick.

This poo poo is gonna be really bad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GeminiSun posted:

I wish I could force the horrible rich fucks in power to understand what they're doing. Just really make them feel the scope of the deaths they're funding.

Some of the main people behind this are literally mercenaries who are in the business of death on a mass scale, hth.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i am sure i will start bitching more if its loving august and there is no end in sight and no stimulus and every game i am looking at has been delayed. but right now i am ok.

I’ve never been happier I have a huge backlog of switch and PS4 games... but knowing this will go on for a few more months is still rough. When it gets hot out and I can’t go swim... brutal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GeminiSun posted:

I wish I could force the horrible rich fucks in power to understand what they're doing. Just really make them feel the scope of the deaths they're funding. I wish I could force the protesters to understand what they're doing too, but unfortunately that'll happen the hard way.

Unfortunately the desire to put these people through what they put others through is tempered by the fact that what they put others through is sociopathic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1252090911804317696

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LionArcher posted:

I’ve never been happier I have a huge backlog of switch and PS4 games... but knowing this will go on for a few more months is still rough. When it gets hot out and I can’t go swim... brutal.

at least you can always swing by gamestop amirite? :laugh:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Pomeroy posted:

He's not wrong, but it's not just down to folks being stupid. These aren't working people who want to go back to work, these are small business owners who want their employees back to work, funded by Betsy Devos and her millionaire ilk.

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1251877070621290496

Do we have receipts here cuz idk this feels like left version of Sorosizing poo poo otherwise

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Crain posted:

So I wrote a big effort post on facebook for friends and coworkers about isolation, cabin fever, and the like when the stay at home stuff first started. I'm not a real expert on the subject, but I did have some tips to share from the time I went to Antarctica for work since it was part of the initial training we did before we left/once we got there. You know, cause they don't want you losing your goddamned mind at the bottom of the world 2000+ miles from the nearest piece of civilization. Most of it was fairly obvious stuff like keeping busy, have a hobby to do, etc. There was one thing however that I felt was really important: Not setting an end date for your "release".

...*snip*...

So where this ties in: We all know at this point we're going to have to do the cyclical isolation thing. We know. Others have decided, even against the evidence, that it'll be one and done. They're looking at May 1st, June 1st, or whatever as their exit date. Those dates are going to get pushed, they're going to have new calls to isolate come out 2-3 weeks later as cases start to spike again. And these people are not going to be able to handle it. You don't really want to set your heart on an exit date. Just be ready and happy when it finally does come.

That's a really good point. Despite some poor messaging early one, one of the things here (Australia) that the government has done well from really early on is being consistent with messaging that people should be expecting this to last six months at least. If it comes earlier then great, but very few people are holding onto the idea of there being a specific day when we can all suddenly go back to our out and about lives.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I so want a reporter to go out in a blaze of glory when Trump insults them by shouting back "gently caress you, you bloated racist piece of poo poo!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

That's a really good point. Despite some poor messaging early one, one of the things here (Australia) that the government has done well from really early on is being consistent with messaging that people should be expecting this to last six months at least. If it comes earlier then great, but very few people are holding onto the idea of there being a specific day when we can all suddenly go back to our out and about lives.

The furthest they've gone is "mid-May we'll maybe [i]think[\i] about loosening the restrictions slightly, but only if (long list of stuff) is all in place and working well."

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Yeah. The people who are really struggling are too busy struggling to post spicy memes or do these dumbass protests.

I sincerely think it may be some existential crises triggering, something something the hollowness of American life. Normally I'd feel like I was just doing :goonsay: for that, but if you look at these complaints none of them are for anything important. No one's airing real grievances. It's that they can't go to the playground, or go to the beach, or get a haircut, or go to the loving Texas Roadhouse. There were a few events I was really looking forward to in the summer that are almost certainly going to be canceled. It sucks, I said it sucks, I moved on to other things.

That's exactly what I think it is too. I would hazard a guess that probably a lot of these people haven't experienced existential dread before. This crack PING rear end response is at least partially caused by how your average dipshit incorporates both their profession and their ability to purchase things into the critical Jenga blocks of their personality.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Do we have receipts here cuz idk this feels like left version of Sorosizing poo poo otherwise

The Michigan protest is fishy, even if they didn't directly control the protest. Somebody also traced all the Facebook ads and organization back to a single person/cut-out in Jacksonville.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/coronavirus-quarantine-protests-facebook-groups

quote:

Organized by the Michigan Conservative Coalition and the Michigan Freedom Fund, the protest has drawn criticism over its links to Betsy DeVos's family.

"I think it's really inappropriate for a sitting member of the United States president's cabinet to be waging political attacks on any governor," Whitmer said, referring to the education secretary.

The Michigan Freedom Fund was founded by Greg McNeilly, a political adviser to the DeVos family, who has provided financial support to the organization.

Seely said the DeVos family has played no role in the protests and that the Michigan Freedom Fund was independent of the DeVos family, calling the attack a deflection from Whitmer.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Objurium posted:

That's exactly what I think it is too. I would hazard a guess that probably a lot of these people haven't experienced existential dread before. This crack PING rear end response is at least partially caused by how your average dipshit incorporates both their profession and their ability to purchase things into the critical Jenga blocks of their personality.

To be fair to average dipshits, American life doesn’t leave a lot of room for things outside your profession and the things you purchase and consume. And the people at that protest are universally people who truly believe that those pathetic things constitute actual “freedom.”

Also nothing like this has ever happened here in the imperial core in the lifetime of anyone young enough to be at a protest like that. Hell, the “Baby Boomers” are literally named for all being born following the last time there was an event that affected everyday life for everyone like we’re seeing now. Everything since WW2 has been someplace else or far more limited in scope—terrible things happened to individuals, but society never stopped outright.

But whatever. A lot of money is absolutely being poured into these astroturfing efforts; Fox News alone can manufacture a cultural movement out of nothing if they just spend a week yelling at olds through the TV. Maybe our dumb death cult culture will finally get what it’s been begging for. I just hope it doesn’t involve me suffocating in a room with a half dozen strangers in a makeshift hospital.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Fallom posted:

I dunno if it was here or on twitter, but someone pointed out that the point of these 'protests' ...and the strategy that the right generally follows, is to have a sort of spread out, rolling, series of small protests that give the illusion like there's this ongoing, popular 'revolt' going on.

Same thing that happened with the Tea Party.

And that poo poo worked, too.

Beware being dismissive.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

This is the perfect situation to try to explain the just world fallacy to my son.

I have a feeling that in FL DeSantis is going to get a lot of people killed and he is not going to help people that lost their jobs in any signficant way. Is this going to be the moment that people don't have a lot to lose and just go after the rich people?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Walmart is a small business now because each store employees less than 500 people. loving idiots everywhere. gently caress Shake Shack.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Michigan protest is fishy, even if they didn't directly control the protest. Somebody also traced all the Facebook ads and organization back to a single person/cut-out in Jacksonville.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/coronavirus-quarantine-protests-facebook-groups

The fact that every one of these protests is full to bursting with Q flags, Trump merch and the same type of accessories you see at Alt Right gatherings should be literally all the evidence anyone needs to know these are astroturf protests. These are Trump Rally audience members who's only goal is to help daddy get re-elected by giving him cover to declare Covid defeated on the teevee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ah yes, China, the capitalist country that has somehow convinced everyone it's actually communist.