Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Scored this lovely boxed 3400c a few years ago for cheap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ha, I didn’t realize they were packing those apple logo window stickers with the products back before they went solid-color/Jobs return.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just bought a Quicksilver G4 off ebay to go with the G5 I bought months ago. I think it's the best looking G4 case and I've never used OS9 and I like trying dumb things with old computers.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

~Coxy posted:

Looks to me like all that hanging around with delinquent podcast guests is leading you down a dangerous path...

(Nice. Although my kids' Flower Power is still mad at you.)

Her Flower Power is no match for my Glower Power!

(I kid. There was someone in Fitchburg selling a Flower Power about a month ago but they were asking way too much for it. Also, thanks for listening!)

Unfortunately, pandemic has kind of put the kibosh on going out and grabbing some neat vintage stuff that's showing up in the regional Craigslists. The only reason I got these is they were courtesy of a personal acquaintance who I knew was in a clean house. Otherwise I wouldn't risk going out and getting anything.

The 160 is in some need of TLC, I think the inverter board is dying, and the trackball definitely needs some servicing. But it still boots and runs well enough.

FuturePastNow posted:

I just bought a Quicksilver G4 off ebay to go with the G5 I bought months ago. I think it's the best looking G4 case and I've never used OS9 and I like trying dumb things with old computers.

Quicksilvers are nice. The classiest of all G4 towers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

G3/G4 towers were so much nicer to carry through a mall from the parking lot to the Apple Store than the G5 towers were

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Basically, I'm spending $25-$75 now on the $3000 computers I wanted but couldn't afford 18 years ago. Late stage PowerPC Macs were fascinating beasts.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 19, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s how I ended up with a dual Xeon rack server in my bedroom.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Data Graham posted:

G3/G4 towers were so much nicer to carry through a mall from the parking lot to the Apple Store than the G5 towers were

I was still LANning when the G5s were out and boy those handles were for decorative purposes only hey?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Captain Apollo posted:

Post your temperatures while:
1) YouTube
2) zoom video ON
3) outlook word and iTunes open/playing

For science

Okay fine but I don't have Zoom and never will.

Recap: 2020 MBA, i7, 16GB

All of these were taken from Intel Power Gadget after two minutes of doing whatever thing:

(°C)
Idle: 43.2
Discord, WhatsApp, Messages, News, Safari (5 tabs), Music playing: 54.7
As above, but with added 1080p YouTube: 53.5
As above, but in Chrome instead of Safari: 72.0
As above but 4K YouTube: 99.7
Geekbench 5.0 CPU benchmarking: 99.6
Geekbench 5.0 Metal benchmarking: 78.6

4K YouTube is definitely still not really a happy situation on this device, although I'd sure love to know if that's because of 4K YouTube itself or because it's happening in Chrome.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

~Coxy posted:

I was still LANning when the G5s were out and boy those handles were for decorative purposes only hey?

i've never held one. aren't they basically just razor blades

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Data Graham posted:

I kinda think this is the time to retro-double down on Garamond.

from a design standpoint i think the garamond looked better in most cases, like on the g4 imac, before they redid it with myriad pro.

the old paul rand thing of using a typeface that contrasts the theme of its usage - a bookish font in a modern, high tech context was scrumptious

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Fedule posted:

I'd sure love to know if that's because of 4K YouTube itself or because it's happening in Chrome.

Try this

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Fedule posted:

Okay fine but I don't have Zoom and never will.

Recap: 2020 MBA, i7, 16GB

All of these were taken from Intel Power Gadget after two minutes of doing whatever thing:

(°C)
Idle: 43.2
Discord, WhatsApp, Messages, News, Safari (5 tabs), Music playing: 54.7
As above, but with added 1080p YouTube: 53.5
As above, but in Chrome instead of Safari: 72.0
As above but 4K YouTube: 99.7
Geekbench 5.0 CPU benchmarking: 99.6
Geekbench 5.0 Metal benchmarking: 78.6

4K YouTube is definitely still not really a happy situation on this device, although I'd sure love to know if that's because of 4K YouTube itself or because it's happening in Chrome.

Well, it ran 1080p cooler in Safari so it's possible it'd be cooler in 4K but I guess we'll never know!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Safari is handing off video playback to the GPU directly; pretty sure Chrome is probably either still forcing the CPU to do all the work or accessing the GPU acceleration in such a hamhanded way that it winds up pegging the CPU anyway.

I found that when I enabled video acceleration on the Radeon 580 GPU using OpenCore, my CPU usage during YT playback dropped considerably.

(It also -finally- let me play Netflix on my MP5,1..)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Chrome is probably either still forcing the CPU to do all the work or accessing the GPU acceleration in such a hamhanded way that it winds up pegging the CPU anyway.

Considering it's Google, whichever way is worse is the way it's being done.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picking up a Macbook Air for the wife, does anyone else carry BTO options besides Apple and B&H? Looking for the i5/8gb/256gb model.
I would rather buy from Costco because of the 4 year warranty but I don't want to pay for the extra storage she won't use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Best Buy don’t have that one, which is what I ordered. Annoying as they’ve had decent stock.

I put mine through on the 8th, payment is now processing... maybe arrives by the weekend if I’m lucky. It’s a popular model so it’s taking some time and I’m guessing they’re keeping them to themselves.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Apple has two default configs which are i3/8gb/256gb and i5/8gb/512gb and I just don't need to pay the $200 price premium on the 512gb

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is best buy restocking? Mine is out of a lot of stuff and has been for a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

Yeah Apple has two default configs which are i3/8gb/256gb and i5/8gb/512gb and I just don't need to pay the $200 price premium on the 512gb

Yeah that was my thought too. I considered it but just couldn’t justify spending the extra money rather than wait the extra time. If it was i5/16gb/256gb I probably would’ve just said gently caress it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’d get all the RAM I could. i5/16gb/256gb would be the minimum ideal spec for me if I didn’t already know that I need the storage space of the 512gb drive

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Safari is handing off video playback to the GPU directly; pretty sure Chrome is probably either still forcing the CPU to do all the work or accessing the GPU acceleration in such a hamhanded way that it winds up pegging the CPU anyway.

The 2020 MacBook has like a i5-1035 chip? That has VP8 and VP9 acceleration according to cpu-monkey, idk can you check what chrome://gpu lists under video acceleration?

Interested because I want the same for 4K support.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MrMoo posted:

The 2020 MacBook has like a i5-1035 chip? That has VP8 and VP9 acceleration according to cpu-monkey, idk can you check what chrome://gpu lists under video acceleration?

Interested because I want the same for 4K support.

the reason why you can't play GPU-accelerated 4K YouTube on the Mac is Platform Wars

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/996127485283721217?s=20

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Not so much Safari, but whatever platform API does not open up Intel acceleration access for VPx to Chome and friends.

Awesome because nVidia is still broken on h265 on Windows for 8K. It's a worthless format for the most part.

I need VP9 for the alpha channel, I guess I still need double the hardware, yay 🙃

edit: interesting Safari will submit to supporting VP8 for WebRTC though,

https://webkit.org/blog/8672/on-the-road-to-webrtc-1-0-including-vp8/

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I guess the real question is whether apple will add vp9 before google decides to widely support av1

Honestly though I know some people will but I definitely can't be arsed to care since the difference is going to be negligible on my use of youtube (others with imacs probably are gonna care more than me)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

Your old MBP is likely not sleeping but hibernating (memory is written to persistent storage and powered off).
Modern Macs can (and under certain conditions will) do this too but the default options are optimized for fast wake-up times rather than better battery life.
If you care about this you can tweak the behavior of newer machines to your liking. "man pmset" will point you in the right direction, you can even adjust the thresholds at which a machine should switch from sleep to safe sleep/hibernate.

I did this to a few of my older machines that I rarely use anymore, that way accidentally closing the lid without a shutdown won't run down the battery and potentially damage it if it gets put away for weeks/months at a very low state of charge.

Oh interesting. So a closed lid MBP can still go from sleep to hibernate after some timer has elapsed?

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh interesting. So a closed lid MBP can still go from sleep to hibernate after some timer has elapsed?

Yes, as far as I know all of them do that by default to prevent data loss and damage to the battery once the state of charge crosses a certain threshold.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

Yes, as far as I know all of them do that by default to prevent data loss and damage to the battery once the state of charge crosses a certain threshold.

Hmm must be a low threshold I recalled opening the lid on my MBP and seeing 80% battery left after months of storage.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm must be a low threshold I recalled opening the lid on my MBP and seeing 80% battery left after months of storage.

I imagine that newer hardware is so optimized and power efficient that battery drain during sleep is no longer a concern. My 2015 MBP will definitely hibernate after a while. If pmset is correct then the default hibernation mode (3) writes data to persistent storage under certain conditions but keeps the RAM powered on.

man pmset posted:

standby causes kernel power management to automatically hibernate a machine after it has slept for a specified time period. This saves power while asleep. This setting defaults to ON for supported hardware. The setting standby will be visible in pmset -g if the feature is supported on this machine.

standbydelayhigh and standbydelaylow specify the delay, in seconds, before writing the hibernation image to disk and powering off memory for Standby. standbydelayhigh is used when the remaining battery capacity is above highstandbythreshold , and standbydelaylow is used when the remaining battery
capacity is below highstandbythreshold.

highstandbythreshold has a default value of 50 percent.

and

man pmset posted:

hibernatemode supports values of 0, 3, or 25. Whether or not a hibernation image gets written is also dependent on the values of standby and autopoweroff

For example, on desktops that support standby a hibernation image will be written after the specified standbydelay time. To disable hibernation images completely, ensure hibernatemode standby and autopoweroff are all set to 0.

hibernatemode = 0 by default on desktops. The system will not back memory up to persistent storage.
The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 by default on portables. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep.
The system will wake from memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from hibernate image.

hibernatemode = 25 is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of memory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you should use this setting.

Anecdotally I played around with hibernatemode 25 on my older machines but got worried that it would wear out the SSDs from writing the whole RAM to disk after every sleep. I don't remember the exact numbers but the average hibernate wrote less than 1GB to the disk because of differential compression. (checked by reading the TBW counter of the SSD after n sleeps)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello pals I’m trying to decide between the highest spec Air 2020 and the starter Pro 13in from 2019.

I mainly use laptops as Netflix machines but also do a bit of hobby video editing and coding. I think the air should be fine for this especially if I’m using final cut? I just hope I’m not being dumb by Saving 200e and getting the air when the low level pro would be much better.

Thanks goons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EmmyOk posted:

Hello pals I’m trying to decide between the highest spec Air 2020 and the starter Pro 13in from 2019.

I mainly use laptops as Netflix machines but also do a bit of hobby video editing and coding. I think the air should be fine for this especially if I’m using final cut? I just hope I’m not being dumb by Saving 200e and getting the air when the low level pro would be much better.

Thanks goons

Rumor has it the Pro gets refreshed next month, possibly replaced by a 14” model.

Also the i7 in the Air probably isn’t worth it over the i5 in your case (it doesn’t seem worth it for anybody really) but IDK if the available BTO options are different for you. If savings are most important you might be able to shave another $100 or 150 off the cost by going with the i5.

If you need more computing power than that I might encourage you to spec up to the Pro, but I’d wait until the new ones came out if I didn’t need it right away

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Actually that's a point. Does Netflix/Prime/Whatever support 4K video in Safari or is it just YouTube that's using the codec Apple won't support? It's basically academic on any current 13" Apple but it might be useful to test.

(God it sure would be nice if Netflix would ever just let you straight up choose or even let you see your streaming resolution)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fedule posted:

(God it sure would be nice if Netflix would ever just let you straight up choose or even let you see your streaming resolution)

they used to for many many years (even during the dreaded Silverlight plugin days) with command + shift + S, but they removed that in the last year or so :mad:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fedule posted:

Actually that's a point. Does Netflix/Prime/Whatever support 4K video in Safari or is it just YouTube that's using the codec Apple won't support? It's basically academic on any current 13" Apple but it might be useful to test.

I dunno what prime's doing, but netflix only allows 4k playback on Microsoft Edge and the Windows 10 Netflix app, in terms of computers.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fedule posted:

In a browser, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S on Windows to see technical details. Probably Cmd+Option+Shift+S or something on Mac.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
4K Netflix to a 13" screen? What a waste of bandwidth tho.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Looks like it's Shift+Ctrl+Alt+D to see the info, on Windows and Mac both. Fascinatingly, it seems Chrome only supports up to 720p on any platform.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

4K Netflix to a 13" screen? What a waste of bandwidth tho.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fedule posted:

Looks like it's Shift+Ctrl+Alt+D to see the info, on Windows and Mac both. Fascinatingly, it seems Chrome only supports up to 720p on any platform.

woo! glad there's a way at least. I think Chrome doesn't implement some form of DRM that netflix wants to play 1080p content IIRc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

Thanks goons

You're better off getting the 2020 Air unless you are going to be spending that much time in Final Cut Pro. Definitely go for the i5 Air like other goons are saying too. The i7 vs i5 isn't noticeable and you should save the $150.