Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the first vaccine is definitely gonna be poison lol

lol I worked with one of them in a biomed company, the "we're really confident" bit is absolutely just bluster

Pretty sure they're throwing poo poo at the wall and praying that it works, at least that's how it was.

e: OTOH it's probably a good thing to make more of it just in case. It's largely paid for by investors anyway. It costs eye-watering sums to do trials.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The real issue IMO is going to be the pressure for the trials to pass. If they fail, and was only building one factory in advance that's going to look real bad - even if the vaccine is literal poison that's tomorrow's problem versus saying that vaccinations have started.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

What the gently caress, is this even in English? What's wrong with your idiot country?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

gonadic io posted:

The real issue IMO is going to be the pressure for the trials to pass. If they fail, and was only building one factory in advance that's going to look real bad - even if the vaccine is literal poison that's tomorrow's problem versus saying that vaccinations have started.

I have no idea how it would be in such a high-profile case, but from what I've seen the later-stage trials are kept pretty separated from the researchers precisely for that reason. It's on an entirely different level than publishing a spurious "vaccines cause autism" research paper which has very little scrutiny in comparison. It would have to be government pressure that I'd be more worried about, if anything.

e: I'm not even sure if the later trials are being done in the UK, it's not necessarily the case.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Apr 19, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nikosoft posted:

What the gently caress, is this even in English? What's wrong with your idiot country?

it's in english, yes. mike gapes speaks plain english. he's a straightforward guy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Congrats

https://twitter.com/MorningConsult/status/1251915965484404738

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

nikosoft posted:

Do you have severe issues with reading comprehension OP? I am asking in good faith.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it's the use of "big shop" as a proper noun that might be causing the confusion

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/Porter_Anderson/status/1251893204288405504

bro he's been in the hospital

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm the implication that Piers Morgan and Boris Johnson have ever not been on the same side.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Maybe once on the lacrosse pitch back in Bullwinkle's academy for youngsters with societally gifted parents.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

nikosoft posted:

You, see there is milk that comes from cows in the south

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gonadic io posted:

Maybe once on the lacrosse pitch back in Bullwinkle's academy for youngsters with societally gifted parents.

ruggers. lacrosse is a girls game

but lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gonadic io posted:

I'm the implication that Piers Morgan and Boris Johnson have ever not been on the same side.

morgan's minion did chase johnson into a refridgerator

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Communist Thoughts posted:

ruggers. lacrosse is a girls game

but lol

It's just rugger, if you say ruggers it sets off the pleb infiltrator alarm

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
let's play soccers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"we didn't think he was ACTUALLY a dumbass" says people supporting pm dumbass

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

no one on the human world of earth cares what piers morgan thinks about any topic

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Squizzle posted:

no one on the human world of earth cares what piers morgan thinks about any topic

My old boss loved him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i care deeply about how strangely proud he was about that drawing of him huffing trump's farts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gum posted:

My old boss loved him

What is it like working for someone who has been lobotomised?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Trump: Hmm yes it's about time I dropped the act and started behaving intelligently and responsibly.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I have no idea how it would be in such a high-profile case, but from what I've seen the later-stage trials are kept pretty separated from the researchers precisely for that reason. It's on an entirely different level than publishing a spurious "vaccines cause autism" research paper which has very little scrutiny in comparison. It would have to be government pressure that I'd be more worried about, if anything.

e: I'm not even sure if the later trials are being done in the UK, it's not necessarily the case.

Trust me, there are lots of little ways to disappear inconvenient clinical trial data if the sponsor is under pressure to produce a particular result -- and regulators are frustratingly bad at picking up on them. That said, it's still way more common for it to happen by accident or through incompetence than deliberately.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pipski posted:

Trust me, there are lots of little ways to disappear inconvenient clinical trial data if the sponsor is under pressure to produce a particular result -- and regulators are frustratingly bad at picking up on them. That said, it's still way more common for it to happen by accident or through incompetence than deliberately.

Fair enough, just saying it's not as easy as the researchers making up whatever false data they want, unlike with publishing a spurious paper.

e: I've only ever seen a few that were done by my former employer, so I'm sure you're more knowledgeable. That said it was by far the least bollocks part of the industry.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Apr 20, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
There was a trial recently where the sponsor straight up submitted the wrong data, regulators immediately sent it back and they can't resubmit for a year lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MikeCrotch posted:

There was a trial recently where the sponsor straight up submitted the wrong data, regulators immediately sent it back and they can't resubmit for a year lol

Right, and that was the result.

Compared to that the PR information makes every pharmaceutical seem like panacea that will cure half a dozen things at once, just need to get the inconvenient testing out of the way, honest guv.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Apr 20, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This is greatly reassuring to me, thanks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What's going on here, lads?

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1252266724449230848?s=19

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1252296366442905603?s=19

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
her name badge says Mia.

loving tory scum

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

The British press is finding out Boris...is bad?! And dumb?!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/20/boris-johnson-sunday-times-prime-minister-coronavirus

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

at least he isn't mean old anti-semite jeremy corbyn

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Fair enough, just saying it's not as easy as the researchers making up whatever false data they want, unlike with publishing a spurious paper.

e: I've only ever seen a few that were done by my former employer, so I'm sure you're more knowledgeable. That said it was by far the least bollocks part of the industry.

It's only ... six or seven years ago iirc that multiple phase 3 trials had to be expensively rerun because it turned out some investigators in Russia and China weren't just making up results, they were making up the existence of the patients entirely. But relative to most of what the industry does, you're right, it's generally fairly well intentioned.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

At least he didn't promise to subsidise all businesses in the country "except for the ones owned by the you-know-who, they definitely have enough money already" like a certain former leader of the opposition

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Didn't she write a column about how Boris was going to do things with a 'smile' or some other drooling liberal/centrist banality?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think perhaps the british elite managed to genuinely con themselves into believing that johnson was anything but an overprivileged, lazy, entitled rear end in a top hat

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1252342364644929536?s=20

Well I guess that's all sorted then. No further questions.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Getting some real Scarfolk vibes from some of the government ads recently

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So it's definitely true then. Those accounts all disappeared within 2 minutes of each other and then anyone who shared the initial story got the above reply to their tweets. :magemage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

at least he isn't mean old anti-semite jeremy corbyn

while the coronavirus has killed hundreds of thousands worldwide, just think how much antisemitism in the labour party would have killed