Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Katt posted:

When I eventually have my cat put down. The vet always tries to sell you on separate cremation, urn etc. Every single time I go for the stupid separate cremation so I can toss the ashes in the garden. Even though I know I'm being scammed and the cat could not give a poo poo if her remains went into the medical waste yet I keep buying it.

:shrug: My wife has had every furry shitbird she's ever had pass away privately cremated; they're all in our garage or in various spots around our house. It makes us both feel better. It's not a scam if it helps your heart, these little assholes are important to us.

Sydin posted:

My cat doesn't bug me to go to bed, but she does like to sleep on my bed and on one blanket in particular, and will meow at me to a) spread that blanket out so she can get on it, and b) for me throw the blanket over her so she can wrap herself up under it while she naps :3:

Princess sleeps in my wife's face or around her head. Bootsy sleeps on my daughter's bed when she's not in there.

Ruby actually bitched at me for pets today. I was 6 feet away and she was meowing incessantly at me until I acknowledged her, and then continued to meow while I loved on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My cat sleeps *on* me at night and when I try to roll out of bed she walks on me like a logrolling champ to stay on me.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Katt posted:

My cat sleeps *on* me at night and when I try to roll out of bed she walks on me like a logrolling champ to stay on me.

Same. She just figured out that I am The Lump under the sheets and will now sit post on my chest/shoulder purring loudly into my ear to let me know that my sleep pleases her. Last night she curled into a ball under my chin, breathing into my mouth.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our cat yells at us to go to bed too, especially if one of us is already in bed and the other isn't. What follows is a complex game of finding the best sleeping spot while we roll around and settle in with a nightly interruption where she walks up to our faces and fusses until we lift the blanket and allow her to burrow in between us only to leave when it gets too hot/deprived of oxygen in there.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can you die of oxygen deprivation from under a blanket?

I'd pull one over my head sometimes and eventually the body just announces GTFO'O'clock but my cat sometimes sleep under one.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The girls never want us to go to sleep, but if I go to bed first, I take Aleta with me and she'll usually stay all night. She likes to sleep tucked in my kneepit, under my butt.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My cat sleeps in the laundry and when she's being a turd around 10-11pm she goes to bed.

My preference would be for her to roam the house, but Mum has a dog that sleeps in a crate inside and she annoys the gently caress out of him to the point where he whines his head off and wakes the house up.
So into the laundry she goes :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Katt posted:

I'd pull one over my head sometimes and eventually the body just announces GTFO'O'clock but my cat sometimes sleep under one.

Is cat, can confirm.

My first cat basically lived under blankets and purred her head off.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Katt posted:

I assume cats' brains tell them to take action when the CO2 builds up just like ours.

When Jimmy was dying his head would flop down nose-first into the bed, but he still seemed to be breathing somehow :shrug:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Katt posted:

literally my google search string when she first started doing it, I used to poke her to check if she was still alive and try to barricade my large bf to keep from crushing her, but she appears to have everything under control? Cats, man.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
If my SO and I are chilling in the office for the evening, the cats will hang out on the far side of the room.

The later it gets, the closer they will sit. Eventually the sweet little girl will be up against my desk.

If we stay up ridiculously late, she will stand on my desk. Then she will attempt to sit on my lap, while bitching us out.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I love my shithead. But she is being an extra shithead ever since her spay and I took the Shame Cone off. She keeps chewing my comp cords. Shes nearly ruined my headphones, gone through the cell charger, and is now going after the mouse.

I have slathered everything in bitter apple spray. She hates it, but will still chew on the wet wires. I try to distract her with play but she ignores the feather stick, the squirrel on a stick, and all of my bottle caps.

Currently the only viable solution is to pick her up and throw her in kitty jail (carrier). But shes beginning to learn carrier=punishment. But I need her to stop going after the cords. Any suggestions.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I bought cord protectors, replaced my phone charging cable with one wrapped in metal, and otherwise hid all my cords as best as possible.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Anyone have any suggestions for cat proof or cat safe ant traps/bait stations? I am seeing an increasing number of the little shits wandering around my house. Thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for cat proof or cat safe ant traps/bait stations? I am seeing an increasing number of the little shits wandering around my house. Thanks.

I've just bought regular ant traps and stuff them places the cats can't get and haven't had problems

I have however watch rear end in a top hat stalk an ant through the living room and then scamper when it turned in his direction because he's the worst hunter ever

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gaj posted:

I need her to stop going after the cords. Any suggestions.

Crappy Construction thread has the (final) solution

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Katt posted:

When I eventually have my cat put down. The vet always tries to sell you on separate cremation, urn etc. Every single time I go for the stupid separate cremation so I can toss the ashes in the garden. Even though I know I'm being scammed and the cat could not give a poo poo if her remains went into the medical waste yet I keep buying it.

I got my dog cremated and now I don't know what to do with the ashes and it's kinda awkward. Thinking about getting jewelry made possibly.

Katt posted:

My cat loves to sleep under blankets so much. He usually tucks in next to my legs.

Gaj posted:

I love my shithead. But she is being an extra shithead ever since her spay and I took the Shame Cone off. She keeps chewing my comp cords. Shes nearly ruined my headphones, gone through the cell charger, and is now going after the mouse.

I have slathered everything in bitter apple spray. She hates it, but will still chew on the wet wires. I try to distract her with play but she ignores the feather stick, the squirrel on a stick, and all of my bottle caps.

Currently the only viable solution is to pick her up and throw her in kitty jail (carrier). But shes beginning to learn carrier=punishment. But I need her to stop going after the cords. Any suggestions.
My cat did this at a young age but he grew out of it. You may have to kitten proof things until then. I can't guarantee every cat will grow out of it though.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

My family used to use cotton balls soaked in sugar water and I think boric acid. Cats always left it alone. I think you can also look for hydromethylnon based products, supposedly not toxic for mammals.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone used the litter robot before? Considering it for an apt with three cats.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone used the litter robot before? Considering it for an apt with three cats.

I’ve had one for about three weeks. My youngest cat (1.5 years, hyper) took to it immediately. My oldest, (8.5 years, timid) took a little while to adjust to it but after we put her old litter box nearby, she started using it as well.

Our middle cat (2.5 years, hyper) isn’t using it yet and it’s gonna take some effort and training because she has cerebellar hypoplasia and struggles walking up stairs (we bought the stair attachment for it).

For the first two cats it’s been incredible and worth the money imo.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I've had one for just over a year and it's the best pet-related purchase I've ever made, and I just have one cat. I might be slightly biased because scooping/sifting litter was the bane of my existence, so spending $500 to eliminate it forever made a lot of sense to me.

My cat immediately started using it and loves it, he previously got obviously annoyed if his litter box wasn't clean enough, and now it's fresh and clean for every use.

You can save $25 on one by using my referral link. I get $25 too, feel free to get a chain going in the thread for poo poo robots for all!

http://share.litter-robot.com/vBlMP

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Welp, my shithead is sick. She had diarrhea, total slurry poop (size of palm), was fine most of the day. Then she goes into full slumber mode, wouldnt really rouse even if I bothered her, just seemed tired. I decided to bother her a bit more ad put food out. She woke up, stretched, then puked clear/foamy bits into the litter box, had a much smaller slurry crap (size of thumb). Then a third, even smaller slurry crap. Calling vet tomorrow, Im hoping she didnt eat something I missed to clean. Shes still super non active and just sleeping, wont really move when I bother her, tail flicking and breathing a little heavy.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 20, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Gaj posted:

Welp, my shithead is sick. She had diarrhea, total slurry poop (size of palm), was fine most of the day. Then she goes into full slumber mode, wouldnt really rouse even if I bothered her, just seemed tired. I decided to bother her a bit more ad put food out. She woke up, stretched, then puked clear/foamy bits into the litter box, had a much smaller slurry crap (size of thumb). Then a third, even smaller slurry crap. Calling vet tomorrow, Im hoping she didnt eat something I missed to clean. Shes still super non active and just sleeping, wont really move when I bother her, tail flicking and breathing a little heavy.

That sounds like a very sick cat, I don't know what time it is over there or what the covid situation is but if you can get her to an emergency vet I would do that.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Its NYC, as far as I can tell nothing is open until monday 9am.

Edit: of course just as I finish writing this she wakes up with a little shaking, Shes sitting up, eyes wide open, tail flicking. Shes purring now when I pet her. Imma just stay up with her all night until I can get her into a vet at 9M.

Shes still pretty low energy but shes noticeably a but more alert than before.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 20, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Gaj posted:

Its NYC, as far as I can tell nothing is open until monday 9am.

Edit: of course just as I finish writing this she wakes up with a little shaking, Shes sitting up, eyes wide open, tail flicking. Shes purring now when I pet her. Imma just stay up with her all night until I can get her into a vet at 9M.

Shes still pretty low energy but shes noticeably a but more alert than before.

I don't know anything about NYC or your individual cat, but I found some 24h vets if you do need them

http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/needhelp/emergencyvets.htm

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Thanks guys. Imma run to Blue Point if she gets any worse, and yes I do think she WAS in a bad spot. But I think shes doing better. Shes purring and grooming herself, and in general a little more awake. Shes still a bit sluggish but in general shes more awake and the tail is flickering. Im thinking right now she got into some left-overs she shouldn't have and had a bad stomach reaction/bug.

7 AM update: She woke up on her own, is walking around, meowing, and played with a toy for a bit. Still not interested in food beyond smelling it. Right now she is moving around fine and is "normal" besides not eating despite not eating for the last 20 hours.

As a first time cat-dad this freaked me out because of her general lack of response. She would not wake unless I was seriously bothering her, shaking her. Her 2ndary eyelids were still closed even when I pried her eyes open. She basically didnt move from 6PM until 7AM. Was this basically kitty food rosining? Nothing has changed in the apartment or her diet since I got her in Nov.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 20, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm going to be buying a new water fountain for my little nightmare goblin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic?

There are the 2 I am looking at:
https://www.amazon.com.au/PetSafe-Drinkwell-Stainless-Fountain-Adjustable/dp/B013UWBH60
https://www.amazon.com.au/PetSafe-Drinkwell-Hygienic-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B07RP3FJVL

Nightmare in question:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaj posted:

As a first time cat-dad this freaked me out because of her general lack of response. She would not wake unless I was seriously bothering her, shaking her. Her 2ndart eye lids were still closed even when I pried her eyes open. She basically didnt move from 6PM until 7AM. Was this basically kitty food rosining? Nothing has changed in the apartment or her diet since I got her in Nov.

This sounds like a sick cat mate. I'd def take her to a vet to get checked out, this plus what you posted above is not normal behaviour.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

This sounds like a sick cat mate. I'd def take her to a vet to get checked out, this plus what you posted above is not normal behaviour.

Imma go the minute they open, but Im pretty sure whatever was wrong with her the worst has passed since shes basically doing her regular morning patrol, and is bright eyed and responds to her name/toys.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Gaj posted:

Imma go the minute they open, but Im pretty sure whatever was wrong with her the worst has passed since shes basically doing her regular morning patrol, and is bright eyed and responds to her name/toys.

That's very lucky! Still worth checking out though. A lot of cats will act relatively normal and hide being in pain/feeling lovely until it gets very very serious and they can't anymore, so that level of unresponsiveness is alarming even if she seems to have recovered now.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Vet says she ate "something" that made her sick, nothing more specific than that since everything else seems fine. The shithead ate the minute i put food in her bowl so who knows maybe just a bad can?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I have a litter robot. It works great with two out of three cats but I have a problem with Alfred, my fat ginger, running over while the robot is cycling and fishing out the falling turds. I've been trying to get him to stop by shaking a jar of pennies at him when he does it but I'm slightly worried about scaring him away completely from the litter box. When we first got the robot he took the longest to use it, and tends to be pretty easily stressed. Ideas?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The only thing I can suggest is to put it in a space that can be closed from him and cycle it at set times.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been looking at a litter robot since everyone I've heard talk about it loves the thing.

Milly had an episode this weekend that was scary. She's been barfier than usual for the past few days which isn't TOO unusual since she has episodes and a sensitive stomach. This time she barfed up 99% water and a ton of it, seems like she was trying to clean herself out even though she didn't have any noticeable change in behavior. What was the 1%? A shriveled up half kernel of pistachio.

As far as water fountains go I use the teardrop stainless steel ones and they've been great. Easy to clean and everything but the pump can go in the dishwasher.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

pzy posted:

I've had one for just over a year and it's the best pet-related purchase I've ever made, and I just have one cat. I might be slightly biased because scooping/sifting litter was the bane of my existence, so spending $500 to eliminate it forever made a lot of sense to me.

My cat immediately started using it and loves it, he previously got obviously annoyed if his litter box wasn't clean enough, and now it's fresh and clean for every use.

You can save $25 on one by using my referral link. I get $25 too, feel free to get a chain going in the thread for poo poo robots for all!

http://share.litter-robot.com/vBlMP

Hey this was great and I used it. If anyone else is looking, this is my affiliate link.

http://share.litter-robot.com/TFnCs

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

I have a problem with Alfred, my fat ginger, running over while the robot is cycling and fishing out the falling turds.

This is hilarious, I love cats

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
24 hour sick cat update: Sasha has returned to normal operating procedures, and decided to have one firm and messy poop. I decided to just cut the turd stuck to her leg and she decided that was assault and cried and bit me. Kitten working as advertised.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Infinitum posted:

I'm going to be buying a new water fountain for my little nightmare goblin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic?

There are the 2 I am looking at:
https://www.amazon.com.au/PetSafe-Drinkwell-Stainless-Fountain-Adjustable/dp/B013UWBH60
https://www.amazon.com.au/PetSafe-Drinkwell-Hygienic-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B07RP3FJVL

We have the stainless steel one you linked. Pretty happy with it, we get a lot comments on it since it’s in our dining room and have people over a lot. It’s bigger than you might think but looks quite nice, goes really well with our MCM furniture. It’s a little bit of a pain to fill since there’s no reservoir, but we just bring pitchers of water to it. The cats love it. It’s theoretically easy to clean but you have to disassemble it and poo poo and we are lazy, so we don’t do it nearly as often as we probably should.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I went the stainless one in the end because it pretty much boiled down to "If I drop this, while it ding or will it crack"

I can live with a ding, cause I live with a Glitch already :v:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I bought the CatIT plastic fountain and it lasted a few years before the motor burned out. Those fountains are much nicer looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dixville posted:

I bought the CatIT plastic fountain and it lasted a few years before the motor burned out. Those fountains are much nicer looking!

The motor is a $10 replacement if you still have it. Probably not prime shipping right now but you can get them there dirt cheap