Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

Next season will end with RoboPicard dying, only to have Q bring him back to life in a human body.

Lmao I still can't believe they capped out a show about the necessity and even beauty of death by saving Picard from his terminal illness by giving him a robot clone body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

multijoe posted:

Lmao I still can't believe they capped out a show about the necessity and even beauty of death by saving Picard from his terminal illness by giving him a robot clone body

Hot take: It was also a show about whether downloaded consciousness still counts as "real" so it still worked thematically IMO

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hot take: It was also a show about whether downloaded consciousness still counts as "real" so it still worked thematically IMO

It had very little interest in its own themes outside a extremely shallow surface reading.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can you imagine the poo poo storm of conspiracy theories on Earth when Picard leaves for a mysterious planet, then comes back and says he died and became a robot and is now advocating for robot rights?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Can you imagine the poo poo storm of conspiracy theories on Earth when Picard leaves for a mysterious planet, then comes back and says he died and became a robot and is now advocating for robot rights?
#QAnon (it’s literally a Q conspiracy theory in the 24th century)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

multijoe posted:

I dunno, the 1st season was about a lot of things but never seemed to land on where it wanted to go on any of it.

Also, my hot take, they weren't expecting a 2nd season renewal and had to rework some scripts to keep Picard alive?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, my hot take, they weren't expecting a 2nd season renewal and had to rework some scripts to keep Picard alive?

The series was already shot and in the can when the pickup was announced. Filming ended last September, season 2 was announced in December.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Re-watching DS9 for the hundredth time I think I realized that what I really want is a Ferengi series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Re-watching DS9 for the hundredth time I think I realized that what I really want is a Ferengi series.

A Marauder Mo cartoon

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheCenturion posted:

Klingon Academy is where it’s at. Bring on the ginsu system.

Yeah, Bridge Commander was certainly the more polished of the two, but Klingon Academy had more meat to it. It's a miracle that KA came out as playable as it did, Interplay really hamstrung the developers.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’m not really much of a Trek fan outside of the films, but I’ve got All-access so I figured I’d dip in and see what Picard and Discovery are all about. They’ve both got some saving graces, but neither seem very good. Discovery, especially, borders on the unwatchable at points.

It seems like the consensus is that this isn’t the Trek you know, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you can enjoy it for what it is. I don’t have too much in the way of preconceptions about what Trek should or should not be. Maybe I’m just discovering I just don’t like Star Trek?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You may well not like Star Trek and that's perfectly ok, but watching the recent crap is no way to find out if that's true

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I’m not really much of a Trek fan outside of the films, but I’ve got All-access so I figured I’d dip in and see what Picard and Discovery are all about. They’ve both got some saving graces, but neither seem very good. Discovery, especially, borders on the unwatchable at points.

It seems like the consensus is that this isn’t the Trek you know, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you can enjoy it for what it is. I don’t have too much in the way of preconceptions about what Trek should or should not be. Maybe I’m just discovering I just don’t like Star Trek?

I would be curious to hear a more detailed critique from someone without too much pre-existing attachment to the franchise, if you'd care to elaborate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Try some TNG season 3 and see how that suits you.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Could you do us all a favor and tell why its so bad? You happen to be the only person in the last few hundred pages who didn't watch any trek and your opinion is really precious here.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I want season 2 of Picard to be nothing but Q roasting Jean Luc about how bad the first season was. Lectures about how they treated the borg alone and the sheer loving hubris of it would be glorious.

Or if they had the balls it would be about the ramifications of a human mind being transported into a synthetic body. The trial never ended, Picard.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 20, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They've said they'll follow up on the ramifications of the synth body.

I love deLancie, but they should probably leave Q alone. That was the story of TNG. Let the Picard show be its own thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I love deLancie, but they should probably leave Q alone. That was the story of TNG. Let the Picard show be its own thing.

:ironicat:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Let the Picard show be its own thing.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hmmm I am starting to suspect Arglebargle and Tighclops may not be fans of this Picard show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Picard has no fans, only sufferers of Stockholm syndrome.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Picard has no fans, only sufferers of Stockholm syndrome.

I...liked Picard and while it didn't gel at the end, there is some interesting stuff for next season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed watching it.

I don't know if that makes me a "fan"

I'm certainly not going to fanatically defend it or anything

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hmmm I am starting to suspect Arglebargle and Tighclops may not be fans of this Picard show.

Arglebargle didn't even watch it. He's been spending all this time whining about episodes he didn't watch. Totally normal behaviour.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There's nothing wrong with not liking it. The problem with them two posters is they're deeply unpleasant people. Arglebargle thinks he's the court jester but I think Tighclops might have a developmental disorder.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
*takes people mocking a bad show personally, declares them mentally unwell*

you know other people can read what you type here

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

*takes people mocking a bad show personally, declares them mentally unwell*

you know other people can read what you type here

*Makes hundreds of posts about a show he hates, wonders why people think this is weird*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nah, Tighclops just doesn’t like the show and that’s how they post. It’s fine, they’re allowed to dislike poo poo.

Drive-by shitposting for three years and two threads from someone who flat out admitted they don’t even watch the show is a far bigger offense imo :shrug:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

*Makes hundreds of posts about a show he hates, wonders why people think this is weird*

why would someone who likes star trek talk about the latest star trek show, it's not like they did a bunch of poo poo to try to get people who liked star trek to watch it or anything

maybe they could have also tried

not blatantly ripping off mass effect for one thing lmao what a bunch of hacks holy poo poo aaaaaaa

and for real normally I'm all about getting on peoples' case for just making GBS threads on something without watching it, but at this point between STD and Picard I figure if you see the trailers and your first instinct is that it's all a bunch of dull poo poo you're on the money. It's just a brand, nobody owes Trek "the benefit of the doubt" or whatever after years of consistently lame stuff

e: and the way in which it's been bad is uniquely lovely for Star Trek as a concept and something about that tickles my balls to acknowledge and analyze

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Klingon Academy is where it’s at. Bring on the ginsu system.

After Starfleet Academy was put on GOG a few years ago, I was sure that Klingon Academy and the Borg FMV games would eventually follow. No other Star Trek games came about at all. Such a shame, I'd buy a version of Birth of the Federation in a heartbeat.

Lister fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 20, 2020

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’ve not been able to buy into Burnham as the emotional center of Discovery, and most of the scenes where we’re checking-in on her or dealing with her relationship with Tyler are tough for me to enjoy.

The first-season twists seemed telegraphed rather than foreshadowed, and I spent a fair amount of time hoping they’d swerve out of the direction I thought they were headed.

Picard seemed really uneven. Patrick Stuart is pleasant enough to watch, and his ragtag crew isn’t bad, but it certainly felt like a drag in the middle leading into rushing, break-neck, towards the finish line.

It’s really an intangible thing, and maybe I’m bad at watching tv, but for me, both programs seemed to want there to be tension or emotional payoff when neither had really earned it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Minus1Minus1 posted:

It’s really an intangible thing, and maybe I’m bad at watching tv, but for me, both programs seemed to want there to be tension or emotional payoff when neither had really earned it.

I think that's an entirely reasonable criticism of both shows.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's a lot of unearned emotion in Picard, as characters react to the old man in the same way as the audience is expected to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you want a positive comment from me, I have been watching Wellington Paranormal and it is delightful. It's like What We Do in the Shadows' preppy younger sibling. It follows a pair of bumbling beat cops who investigate and (usually) completely fail to resolve paranormal happenings.

It is an official sister show, I forgot to mention they're the same cops who turn up to Vlad and Viago's house.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 20, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

If you want a positive comment from me, I have been watching Wellington Paranormal and it is delightful. It's like What We Do in the Shadows' preppy younger sibling. It follows a pair of bumbling beat cops who investigate and (usually) completely fail to resolve paranormal happenings.

It is an official sister show, I forgot to mention they're the same cops who turn up to Vlad and Viago's house.

And since the American WWDITS show takes place in the same universe as the WWDITS movie it means that Wellington Paranormal is a sister show to that as well. :D

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
There is nothing wrong with being really and deeply unsettled by the fact that one of your favourite captains from your favourite show is not the same and a great actor who played this role apparently did this to cash out on his captaincy, minding the fact that the same actor is one of the main producers and show was in works for 2 years.

A spit to the fan's face is always...touching personally.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Would you say that it ruined your childhood?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

Would you say that it ruined your childhood?

Nah, it just wasted my time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

There is nothing wrong with being really and deeply unsettled by the fact that one of your favourite captains from your favourite show is not the same and a great actor who played this role apparently did this to cash out on his captaincy, minding the fact that the same actor is one of the main producers and show was in works for 2 years.

A spit to the fan's face is always...touching personally.

I dunno, I can't blame P-Stew or any of the others for showing up when they get to work with people they know and love for dump trucks of cash. The show was probably lots more fun for them to act in then it was for us to watch.

I'm more bothered by the fact that entire seasons of Star Trek are now about as coherent and thoughtful as single episodes of Baywatch Nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Still fascinating to see that after god knows how many years, Starfleet is still absolute dogshit at vetting their leadership/security apparatus.

Nothing but alien infiltrators from the top down.

It's like getting hired at CTU in the 24 universe. There's a form you fill out when you apply and one of the questions is "Are you a double/triple/quadruple agent?"

[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] Maybe
[ ] We'll see!