Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Have any of you ever looked at applying for citizenship? Are there any particular benefits other than being able to visit Cuba?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

Are there any particular benefits other than being able to visit Cuba?

Telepathy, longer intestines, wa.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
those all sound p good tbh

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

Have any of you ever looked at applying for citizenship? Are there any particular benefits other than being able to visit Cuba?

ya get to take your wife's name or make her change it to some horribad ateji of yours, you get a koseki, you get to lie to government about making an effort to renounce your other citizenship(s), you don't have to worry about lovely courts denying you welfare, and you get to make protest votes for the JCP. almost worth it for that last one.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i haven't seriously looked into it tho

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

None of the benefits of becoming a phony nihonjin are attractive to me. Hell, it seems like it would cause even more hassle, given you'd always have to explain why you don't have a gaijin card, gaikoku passport or whatever.

For US citizens, it could be worth it financially though. It's literally the only way to legally avoid dual taxation, which is probably the foremost reason people renounce US citizenship. Expect a kick on the rear end on your way out the door though.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 20, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

None of the benefits of becoming a phony nihonjin are attractive to me. Hell, it seems like it would cause even more hassle, given you'd always have to explain why you don't have a gaijin card, gaikoku passport or whatever.

For US citizens, it could be worth it financially though. It's literally the only way to legally avoid dual taxation, which is probably the foremost reason people renounce US citizenship. Expect a kick on the rear end on your way out the door though.

I think if you make enough to actually have to pay the dual taxes in any appreciable amount you can probably afford to keep the US citizenship lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

I think if you make enough to actually have to pay the dual taxes in any appreciable amount you can probably afford to keep the US citizenship lol

Yeah anyone making enough to pay US taxes abroad can eat my entire rear end instead of whining about the injustice of being rich.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

ya get to take your wife's name or make her change it to some horribad ateji of yours, you get a koseki, you get to lie to government about making an effort to renounce your other citizenship(s), you don't have to worry about lovely courts denying you welfare, and you get to make protest votes for the JCP. almost worth it for that last one.

People do get caught for maintaining other citizenships. There was at least one American guy who did it and got caught and lost his Japanese. Also I think he had to re-apply for US because the Japanese require a fairly official US doc? Forget the details. Basically don't bother imo.

zmcnulty posted:

I know at least one dude at former company who mentioned he had some apartment buildings he used to offset some taxes or summat and structured things so that he didn't really pay anything more, so once you hit a certain level of wealth you can apparently avoid it quite well. Didn't ask for more details and maybe it's shady stuff that would get you hit in an audit so who knows. Then again the IRS is now literally avoiding auditing the wealthy to concentrate on destroying the middle and lower class so lol

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think getting to not be American anymore is a decent enough perk

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mikeycp posted:

I think getting to not be American anymore is a decent enough perk

lol, that stain's never coming off

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It'd be a weight off my mental state at least. A curse upon my soul, lifted

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
lol at the idea of Americans having souls

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mikeycp posted:

It'd be a weight off my mental state at least. A curse upon my soul, lifted

trading imperialism, native american genocide and a-bombs for imperialism, attempted korean genocide and nanking seems like a lateral move.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

listen

my hating america and being american and also generally being does not need to be rational

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If memory serves the Americans got more done on the Korean genocide front than the Japanese ever managed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan may have been worse in the past, but the US is clearly the bad guy now. I think it is inarguable that we are the worst country. Definitely have the worst, most disrespectful, citizens.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

also, we don't even pretend to have any functional social safety nets anymore

just completely mask off about wanting poors to die

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mikeycp posted:

also, we don't even pretend to have any functional social safety nets anymore

just completely mask off about wanting poors to die

that poo poo knows no borders

sucks that the mask is off in the US tho yeah

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

go get irish citizenship if you don't want to be american anymore imho

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you get JP citizenship you can vote and join the military.

No thx

It makes sense if you're from a country with a very weak passport and/or your parents are both gaijins but you were born and raised in Japan.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
And here I was thinking I needed to be a Japanese citizen to be able to buy a house there. Well thats one worry less I guess (Now I just need to actually move there, maybe once the plague passes)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Right now I would rather be quarantined in Japan for two weeks and take my chances with finding a job afterwards than stay in the melting death trap that is the US.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Definitely have the worst, most disrespectful, citizens.

The UK are past masters at this.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Yawgmoft posted:

Right now I would rather be quarantined in Japan for two weeks and take my chances with finding a job afterwards than stay in the melting death trap that is the US.

It really depends on whether you prefer a slow-moving train wreck or a fast-moving train wreck.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Archer666 posted:

maybe once the plague passes

extreme optimism

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Business of Ferrets posted:

It really depends on whether you prefer a slow-moving train wreck or a fast-moving train wreck.

日本を取る。日本はアメリカより自動販売機のほうがいいんですよ。

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

mikeycp posted:

extreme optimism

Its how I roll. That and crippling alcoholism.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Yawgmoft posted:

we don't want you

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Yawgmoft posted:

日本を取る。

Shameful. Don't directly translate idioms.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Don't awkward use with a bunch of English speakers in general.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Note if you get the urge to use Japanese for no reason it's because you're bad btw

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Note if you get the urge to use Japanese for no reason it's because you're bad btw

sumimasen sempai

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
申し訳ありません。今から自殺して起きております。

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
That's even less funny than I imagined it and it sounded pretty bad in my head.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 21, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

it's bad

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

hmmm

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cool cool i'm going back to planning my next trip

guys whats a good place to eat in tokyo and how do i pick up japanese babes???

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

cool cool i'm going back to planning my next trip

guys whats a good place to eat in tokyo and how do i pick up japanese babes???

The Hub is the answer to both of those questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

.Z. posted:

The Hub is the answer to both of those questions.

:yeah: